01-27-15 09:24 AM
29 12
tools
    All I'm saying is that BlackBerry should seek to be more visible in the consimer's eye. Go figure, as app ads and mentions go, amazon has more visibility than BlackBerry. Really? They have a couple tablets and 1 phone. But getting that same mention could be acquired very easily by BlackBerry and improve its visibility. That gives an appearance of relevance to the consumer.

The other part is to actively bring wanted apps to BlackBerry. Whether by handling the porting for the dev or making sure it's available through amazon. Devs can then better determine their own necessity to build native BlackBerry apps. Some will. Some won't but would still have seamless availability through BlackBerry World.

The reason for re-branding amazon in so that those who don't care or no otherwise just find the apps in bbw with all of the native BlackBerry apps.

It's much like other parts of retail. Most store brand product is other products re-branded to make it exclusive. And those manufacturers get an opportunity to test the water on their product before they put their name on it. And in some cases the private label versions are so well known and accepted that you can't find the national brand.

Posted via CB10
    Haven't you heard? They said they are not for consumers. They told developers to use the amazon app store. What is there not to get?
    01-27-15 07:33 AM
    All I'm saying is that BlackBerry should seek to be more visible in the consimer's eye. Go figure, as app ads and mentions go, amazon has more visibility than BlackBerry. Really? They have a couple tablets and 1 phone. But getting that same mention could be acquired very easily by BlackBerry and improve its visibility. That gives an appearance of relevance to the consumer.
    There is a reason Chen said they were focusing on Enterprise.... they don't have a competitive consumer product, nor the capabilities to compete in the consumer market. They just barely made any money last quarter... worldwide advertising is VERY expensive.

As for Amazon... they are much larger company that BlackBerry and the Kindle line of devices is VERY popular... But Amazon has a site that millions of people visit every day - for products and content. So they have a built in marketing tool. I bet 3/4 of BlackBerry users haven't even been to BlackBerry.com. Let alone visit it on a monthly basis.

The other part is to actively bring wanted apps to BlackBerry. Whether by handling the porting for the dev or making sure it's available through amazon. Devs can then better determine their own necessity to build native BlackBerry apps. Some will. Some won't but would still have seamless availability through BlackBerry World.
    Converting an app from an APK to a BAR file is very easy... last year many of us where doing it as it was the only option to get an converted and unlocked app to work. But there has been some discussion on the submittal process being a little difficult.

But it is OVER... there is no hope of selling 30, 40, 50 million devices a year or more. Even if they make it to the 10 million Chen would like, many of those would be locked down by their enterprise owner. So they wouldn't count as a possible customer for the average developer. And if a developer doesn't want to bother supporting a 3rd or 4th ecosystem... they don't have too.

The reason for re-branding amazon in so that those who don't care or no otherwise just find the apps in bbw with all of the native BlackBerry apps.
    Why would Amazon allow BlackBerry to rebrand their store?
    What native BlackBerry Apps... you do see that BlackBerry World is slowly dying? Half the "native" apps I use haven't been updated in over a year. Sure we have a couple of small developers building Utility Apps or maybe Apps for Apps, but most of the big developers have given up on the platform. One OS update that requires developers to make a change to be compatible and BlackBerry World will be a much different place.

It's much like other parts of retail. Most store brand product is other products re-branded to make it exclusive. And those manufacturers get an opportunity to test the water on their product before they put their name on it. And in some cases the private label versions are so well known and accepted that you can't find the national brand.
    Sorry but it's not the same... most rebranded products are different from the national brand, by enough to allow them to bypass the original patients. But they still require engineers, developers, factories and distribution.... who would BlackBerry get to tweak these apps, to support these apps, to fight the legal battles for these apps...

We do have a few private label branded apps like FaceBook... which by all accounts is only a pale imitation of the original.

Sorry but most your suggestions are just not possible with BlackBerry's limited resources. Almost everyone said that they had one shot to relaunch the Platform.... well they missed, it didn't happen and we need to accept that it isn't going to happen unless they start selling 40 or 50 million phones a year.
    01-27-15 08:42 AM
    I understand what you're saying from a BlackBerry perspective. But why would Amazon want to provide a private label App Store to BlackBerry?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-27-15 08:58 AM
    Reading some of the responses I'm not sure that everyone understands that I was being sarcastic and not actually suggesting anyone boycott Chapters.

I think the idea that anyone should boycott a company because of the lack of a BlackBerry app is ridiculous. Companies make apps based on what they see as being profitable to them. Makes sense to me.

The fact that people expect every Canadian company to have a BB10 app just because BlackBerry is Canadian is unrealistic.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    Bbnivende and Cynycl like this.
    01-27-15 09:24 AM
29 12