01-27-15 08:24 AM
29 12
tools
    I've just discovered that Chapters-Indigo, a supposedly Canadian company, only has an iPhone and Android app. No BlackBerry app.

This is terrible. How dare they? The nerve of them not to make a BlackBerry app. We should all boycott Chapters-Indigo and stop reading and buying books! [/sarcasm]

Attachment 329398

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    techvisor likes this.
    01-24-15 12:44 PM
    To be honest, any Canadian company that doesn't at the very least bring their Android app into BB World is just plain stupid. Yes, BlackBerry's worldwide market share has dwindled but BlackBerry is still alive and strong in Canada, particularly Toronto.
    01-24-15 01:25 PM
    Better question is where is the boycotting BB10 app? We should boycott boycotting.
    shahyaz likes this.
    01-24-15 01:36 PM
    Sarcasm aside, there are better reasons to boycott. Mostly about the politics of the CEO.

No native Kobo app for BB10, but Kobo is out of their hands anyway.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 01:38 PM
    Same goes for Westjet - it's so easy to a least port the android app to BlackBerry but some of these companies are so tech ignorant is amazing they are still in business - always flew Westjet now I'm on air Canada..

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 10:15 PM
    I never shop there anyways

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    01-24-15 10:24 PM
    I've just discovered that Chapters-Indigo, a supposedly Canadian company, only has an iPhone and Android app. No BlackBerry app.

This is terrible. How dare they? The nerve of them not to make a BlackBerry app. We should all boycott Chapters-Indigo and stop reading and buying books! [/sarcasm]
    It really disturbs me how CrackBerry forums seem to be dividing up.

On one hand, you have rampant fanboys who trash the competition, don't listen to reason and get hostile at the slightest suggestion that anything isn't rosy.

On the other, you have people who seem to "get off" on "educating the idiots", showing up to stir the pot. You also have the "Passive aggressive haters" who don't get involved directly, but make a point to show up and "like everything negative".

It's a bummer ...
    01-25-15 10:26 AM
    The whole idea of considering a company's behavior before making a purchase, is a great one. If everyone followed it, we wouldn't have the current mess we do. But a big problem is that requires a pretty high level of mental maturity to consider not only my personal gain, but also the health of the system. The developmental studies suggest we are talking about way less than half of people being able to even consider perspectives other than their own.
    01-25-15 10:40 AM
    Well it is unusual to start a thread with sarcasm. Only Kevin does that.

I tried Chapters mobile website and it is ok. I suppose a person could just link the mobile site to the home page. The Android app is not really any more functional.

The WestJet rant had a little more substance given that perhaps company and govt frequent flyers might have a greater degree of BlackBerry ownership.

My Android apps work well enough except for the 10.2.1 lag. The Chapters mobile site loaded up faster I might add.
    01-26-15 03:41 AM
    The list of companies that don't have a native BlackBerry app is growing pretty long. Keep boycotting. You want all the apps, move to another platform. Why not just install the Android app? Or what about just using their mobile website. Seeing as everyone on here is screaming that they don't need apps, and HTML5 is the be-all-end-all...

oh wait... you want native apps now? so confusing...
    01-26-15 08:15 AM
    Since this is about a Canadian company failing to support another Canadian company should the rest of us non-Canadians feel obligated to boycott, too?
    01-26-15 08:44 AM
    To be honest, any Canadian company that doesn't at the very least bring their Android app into BB World is just plain stupid. Yes, BlackBerry's worldwide market share has dwindled but BlackBerry is still alive and strong in Canada, particularly Toronto.
    You got some numbers to back that up?

What I found is almost seven months old... but it has BlackBerry at 14% of the Canadian market and falling.
    In 2009, 61 per cent of Canadian smartphone owners said they used a BlackBerry. Now, just 14 per cent call themselves devotees of the struggling brand. BlackBerry's marketshare plunged by half in the past two years, according to MTM.
    One problem in the Falling part of that... the other is it encompasses two different OS so in truth that number is much smaller for BB10 - might be only 5% of the overall smartphone market. Then factor in the fact that BlackBerry is used a lot in enterprise where Apps are usually blocked. That leaves developers with a pretty small users base to develop for... even in Canada.
    01-26-15 10:34 AM
    Enough already about the app gap. While I do feel that a company should expect to be supported by it national brethren, business and money decide whether this is feasible or profitable. Given BlackBerry's current position in the mobile phone market, it becomes incumbent on them to make wanted apps available to its users.

BlackBerry should be going to the the more major companies whose apps are not on bbw and port them over themselves. This is where BlackBerry may have to do more leg work to make it happen. Certainly, sooner or later at least a few of these companies will realize minimally the ease of porting to gain a customer or even find enough customers to make a native app worthwhile.

This is all about business and money. If BlackBerry wants to get on that playing field, they are going to have to do it themselves. The real solution here might be to rebrand the amazon app store as a BlackBerry appstore or incorporate amazon into BlackBerry World seamlessly bringing those wanted apps directly to BlackBerry.

Then when the ad shows apple, Google, and amazon app stores, it will also show BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 10:58 AM
    01-26-15 11:15 AM
    Enough already about the app gap. While I do feel that a company should expect to be supported by it national brethren, business and money decide whether this is feasible or profitable. Given BlackBerry's current position in the mobile phone market, it becomes incumbent on them to make wanted apps available to its users.

BlackBerry should be going to the the more major companies whose apps are not on bbw and port them over themselves. This is where BlackBerry may have to do more leg work to make it happen. Certainly, sooner or later at least a few of these companies will realize minimally the ease of porting to gain a customer or even find enough customers to make a native app worthwhile.

This is all about business and money. If BlackBerry wants to get on that playing field, they are going to have to do it themselves. The real solution here might be to rebrand the amazon app store as a BlackBerry appstore or incorporate amazon into BlackBerry World seamlessly bringing those wanted apps directly to BlackBerry.

Then when the ad shows apple, Google, and amazon app stores, it will also show BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    You do understand that a developer has a number of RIGHTS and that what you purpose would violate those rights....

The whole reason that SNAP isn't in BBW is it violates both Googles and the developers legal rights. BlackBerry would get a nice little letter, and if it didn't get removed they would get sued.
    01-26-15 11:38 AM
    You said they were still strong in Canada, and paticullary Toronto.

I will concede that in Toronto that BlackBerry BBOS and BB10 device do hold a strong third place in sales. Just not sure how many developers are looking to build for a single city. I guess it would depend on if in were a regional Bank, Newspaper or Travel Guide.

But Apps like Chapters-Indigo are going to be looking at the overall numbers for Canada. And while those might not be too bad as it could still be millions - the makeup and decline in the user base is also just as important.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-26-15 11:47 AM
    You said they were still strong in Canada, and paticullary Toronto.

I will concede that in Toronto that BlackBerry BBOS and BB10 device do hold a strong third place in sales. Just not sure how many developers are looking to build for a single city. I guess it would depend on if in were a regional Bank, Newspaper or Travel Guide.

But Apps like Chapters-Indigo are going to be looking at the overall numbers for Canada. And while those might not be too bad as it could still be millions - the makeup and decline in the user base is also just as important.
    In Toronto, they're really second. "Other" is just a combination of everything else (HTC, Moto, etc).
    Agreed regarding your other point, and for those looking at overall numbers, they should at least port their Android app. In most cases, no changes have to be made so port it over.
    01-26-15 11:58 AM
    Just an idea but there getting people to boycott companies is very hard and only effective if it's large and prolonged. That isn't going to happen with BlackBerry users. If however we were to contact the customer service and ask that BlackBerry be supported I'd think you'd have a better chance at success.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 02:56 PM
    You do understand that a developer has a number of RIGHTS and that what you purpose would violate those rights....

The whole reason that SNAP isn't in BBW is it violates both Googles and the developers legal rights. BlackBerry would get a nice little letter, and if it didn't get removed they would get sued.
    My point is that if BlackBerry wants to aggressively change this image, then they need to take on a culture of selling. That sales culture includes one of not just to consumers but in the mobile market also to app developers. It's been stated by more than once that developers develop for popular platforms. Developers will not miss who they are missing if they don't know they are missing them. BlackBerry actively seeking to port apps for the developer will open new consumers to that developer. The developer can then decide from a real user base if support if the platform is natively worthwhile. Some will decide others will not and some small devs may not have the resources needed to develop their app on an additional platform.

As for re-branding, it not unusual or illegal. This happens way more than most people know for a myriad of products and services. Re-branding amazon appstore under BBW would allow android apps to be searchable and purchased through BBW. More significantly re-branding amazon would allow BlackBerry to get the same tag as apple, Google play, and amazon appstore on all those commercials. This would show BlackBerry as a relevant platform in the minds of consumers rather than one that is never mentioned anywhere and must then be old out of date and dying.

Some part of BlackBerry 's acceptance issue is marketing. It is not seen as viable or capable. In the consumers mind, being associated with relevance means that you are relevant and vice-versa (and BlackBerry is relevant). Product placement and mentions helps this.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 08:22 PM
    That'll show them!
    01-26-15 08:33 PM
    Will the last developer to leave BBW turn off the lights please.
    01-26-15 10:18 PM
    Somebody should just create an app that lists companies that boycott bb10.
    Kind of like a shame list.
    However, the app should just list the companies, and an alternative app - nothing more. Allow people to make their own decision whether or not to boycott the company in return, as is their right.
    A prefab template email explaining to the company that said individual will no longer be using their services due to their boycotting of bb10 would be fine, imo. But make it up to the individual to send the email to that company.
    If there's enough response the company might reverse the decision. If not, it was probably a good decision on their part.

It's a capitalist system. Information is fine to pass to people and what they decide to do with it is up to them.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:22 AM
    All I'm saying is that BlackBerry should seek to be more visible in the consimer's eye. Go figure, as app ads and mentions go, amazon has more visibility than BlackBerry. Really? They have a couple tablets and 1 phone. But getting that same mention could be acquired very easily by BlackBerry and improve its visibility. That gives an appearance of relevance to the consumer.

The other part is to actively bring wanted apps to BlackBerry. Whether by handling the porting for the dev or making sure it's available through amazon. Devs can then better determine their own necessity to build native BlackBerry apps. Some will. Some won't but would still have seamless availability through BlackBerry World.

The reason for re-branding amazon in so that those who don't care or no otherwise just find the apps in bbw with all of the native BlackBerry apps.

It's much like other parts of retail. Most store brand product is other products re-branded to make it exclusive. And those manufacturers get an opportunity to test the water on their product before they put their name on it. And in some cases the private label versions are so well known and accepted that you can't find the national brand.

Posted via CB10
    3Dee likes this.
    01-27-15 01:12 AM
    The companies are not boycotting BlackBerry. There just us not enough BB10 units out there to justify the development of a separate app. Secondly, the mobile site is in this case functions well enough for the purpose. This is just a fact of life.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-15 01:25 AM
    Somebody should just create an app that lists companies that boycott bb10.
    Kind of like a shame list.
    However, the app should just list the companies, and an alternative app - nothing more. Allow people to make their own decision whether or not to boycott the company in return, as is their right.
    A prefab template email explaining to the company that said individual will no longer be using their services due to their boycotting of bb10 would be fine, imo. But make it up to the individual to send the email to that company.
    If there's enough response the company might reverse the decision. If not, it was probably a good decision on their part.

It's a capitalist system. Information is fine to pass to people and what they decide to do with it is up to them.

Posted via CB10
    There is one, but available only for iOS and Android.

Just kidding!

Posted from a D618
    01-27-15 03:12 AM
29 12