It looks like RIM co-founder Jim Balsillie is out as the company's chairman of the board, although he will remain on with RIM as co-CEO. The BlackBerry maker has had a little of a black eye recently (like many tech companies) with its handling of stock option accounting, which dates all the way back to 2004. As a result, RIM will have to lower its earnings by what seems like a nice chunk of change -- $250 million. Although we don't think RIM is going anywhere fast, its recent public missteps like this one have added to a long list of woes in recent years.

Taken from:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...emains-co-ceo/

Not sure what to make of this....
    03-06-07 05:08 AM
    ...but, this is already on the Blog.
    03-06-07 06:05 AM
    Please lock then.....

Apologies!
    03-06-07 06:20 AM
    It looks like RIM co-founder Jim Balsillie is out as the company's chairman of the board, although he will remain on with RIM as co-CEO. The BlackBerry maker has had a little of a black eye recently (like many tech companies) with its handling of stock option accounting, which dates all the way back to 2004. As a result, RIM will have to lower its earnings by what seems like a nice chunk of change -- $250 million. Although we don't think RIM is going anywhere fast, its recent public missteps like this one have added to a long list of woes in recent years.

Taken from:

RIM boots Balsillie as Chairman, but he remains co-CEO

Not sure what to make of this....
    Hind sight is 20/20, just thought it would be interesting to go back in time and see what the outlook was .......or is.
    02-16-15 03:04 PM
    In before the lock...

I revised my opinion of Jim being merely a snake-oil salesman when I learned that he pushed for BBM to go cross-platform years ago when it was at the top, but Mike and Board rejected the idea.

BBM could have beaten WhatsApp to the prize by several years.
    02-17-15 04:51 AM
    In before the lock...

I revised my opinion of Jim being merely a snake-oil salesman when I learned that he pushed for BBM to go cross-platform years ago when it was at the top, but Mike and Board rejected the idea.

There were a number of heated exchanges here back when Jim first purposed going cross platform. But most were happy that Mike rejected the idea.....
    02-17-15 02:05 PM
    In before the lock...

Jim's decision to expand on BBM, and Mike's to stick with ("differentiated") keyboard phones "predominatly" (Chen), at least to release the Q10 as the first BB10 phone would have made a difference... :-)

  Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...  
    02-17-15 02:27 PM
    There were a number of heated exchanges here back when Jim first purposed going cross platform. But most were happy that Mike rejected the idea.....
    Mike didn't like the Z10...
    Keyboards and x-platform BBM would have been the right decisions.

Jim 1 : 1 Mike

02-17-15 02:30 PM

Not if they'd got the Touch Screen phone out quickly enough.

Jim 1 : 0 Mike

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    02-17-15 05:09 PM
    Not if they'd got the Touch Screen phone out quickly enough.

Jim 1 : 0 Mike

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    If they had launched the Passport and the Z30... device wise things might have been very different.
    02-18-15 08:31 AM
    Very true

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    02-18-15 08:58 AM
    Yeah I remember I was furiously against it.
    But now I realize that bbm should have been cross platform at that time. Pretty sure whatsapp would not have been as big as today.

Posted via CB10
    gravymonster likes this.
    02-18-15 11:35 AM
    If they had launched the Passport and the Z30... device wise things might have been very different.
    If they launched the Playbook with the latest OS2.1 in 2011, things would have been different
    If they launched the Classic and Z30 with BB10.3.1 in 2013, things would have been different

I always think that BB gets it right eventually, but does so at least a year too late. The BB10 today, in January 2013 would have gotten far better reviews. The Z30 and Classic wouldn't be world beaters, but would be highly competitive and relevant devices then. Sales would be far better than they were for sure. PBOS 2.1 wouldn't be the joke that PBOS 1.0 was. Probably would have seen far more deployments to businesses.
    02-20-15 11:06 AM
    Jim's decision to expand on BBM, and Mike's to stick with ("differentiated") keyboard phones "predominatly" (Chen), at least to release the Q10 as the first BB10 phone would have made a difference... :-)

Releasing Q10 first=
    The world would have cared even less about BB10.

Keyboard phones were a tiny minority of the market back then already.
    Launching the Z10 first, was one of the few things T. Heins did correctly, considering product launches.

Keyboard phones were never an option.
    They make out some 0.3% of the market today.

Keyboard phone focus=fail by default.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-20-15 11:09 AM
    If they launched the Playbook with the latest OS2.1 in 2011, things would have been different
    If they launched the Classic and Z30 with BB10.3.1 in 2013, things would have been different

I always think that BB gets it right eventually, but does so at least a year too late. The BB10 today, in January 2013 would have gotten far better reviews. The Z30 and Classic wouldn't be world beaters, but would be highly competitive and relevant devices then. Sales would be far better than they were for sure. PBOS 2.1 wouldn't be the joke that PBOS 1.0 was. Probably would have seen far more deployments to businesses.
    Too be honest I was being a little sarcastic... there were too many other issue that lead to the relaunch disaster.

Of course I still wonder what were they doing between the release of PBOS2.1 and BB10 at launch..... was a phone dialer that hard to come up with? How many times do you suppose the retweaked the whole UI?
    02-20-15 11:24 AM
    Too be honest I was being a little sarcastic... there were too many other issue that lead to the relaunch disaster.

Of course I still wonder what were they doing between the release of PBOS2.1 and BB10 at launch..... was a phone dialer that hard to come up with? How many times do you suppose the retweaked the whole UI?
    I much rather wonder, if stupidity really is so limitless that RIM honestly thought, that a Tablet without apps and PIM software would sell for 700$, if I could just buy an iPad with 3 inches more.

This is, until today, one of the bigger mysteries for me, concerning the Playbook saga.
    When they announced that BB10 wouldn't come, my PB gathered dust already, so I didn't care about that.
    I also loved their fire sale as I got a 2. 1 64GB Playbook for 200.
    But how anybody in their right mind could have thought that the Playbook with OS 1 was an acceptable product to launch, is beyond me.

I do like your question though.
    What happened in the 2 (more or less?) years between Playbook and Z10.
    How could it take so long, when you basically had a 7 inch Z10 to sell, the moment the Playbook launched?

We probably don't even want to know....
    02-20-15 12:38 PM
    Did we seriously just necro an 8 year old thread?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-20-15 03:27 PM
    Did we seriously just necro an 8 year old thread?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    In the case of this thread, yolo doesn't seen to be accurate.
    02-20-15 10:50 PM
    In the case of this thread, yolo doesn't seen to be accurate.
    Off topic - Mr. MarsupilamiX, have you found your Z10 battery improved under 10.3.1 ? You were using at least two batteries a day. My Z10 battery was always OK but it now seems better.
    02-20-15 11:46 PM
    Releasing Q10 first=
    The world would have cared even less about BB10.

Keyboard phones were a tiny minority of the market back then already.
    Launching the Z10 first, was one of the few things T. Heins did correctly, considering product launches.

Keyboard phones were never an option.
    They make out some 0.3% of the market today.

Keyboard phone focus=fail by default.
    Simultaneous launch of Q10 and Z10 then...? :-)

  "Telstra, Telstra an der Wand, wer ist der schoenste im ganzen Land...?" Answer: Passport... (Optus got it!) ;-)  
    02-22-15 04:51 PM
    The real sad part about all of the blunders that got us to this point is the management executives walked away with millions and are living the good life and the shareholders and consumer got hosed.
    MobileMadness002 and jelp2 like this.
    02-23-15 04:00 AM
    Pertaining to the PlayBook, it really should have been marketed as a "companion device" for BB users only. I don't own a smartwatch, but I'm guessing it the same principle. If you had a BB you didn't really need PIM services, there was BB Bridge. This kept you files and calendar private for when you weren't connected and maybe left the PB home or at you desk etc. And if marketed as a companion device only, probably should have dropped the price a bit, as it wasn't a stand alone tablet.
    02-23-15 09:23 AM
    In before the lock...

Well then a snake-oil salesman with one good idea.

Z10 via CB10
    02-24-15 03:53 PM
    Sadly you're right however we would not be on this forum right now if it wasn't for Mike or Jim especially Mike .Bad decitions yes thou a lot of large corporations do it look at Target in Canada billions and billions lost .
    The real sad part about all of the blunders that got us to this point is the management executives walked away with millions and are living the good life and the shareholders and consumer got hosed.
    02-25-15 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD