10-17-13 08:06 PM
98 ... 234
tools
    They also need Billions for advertising to change the negative sentiment associated with the BlackBerry brand. More than the cash they have on hand. It has taken Samsung a lot of money to be considered a viable iPhone alternative.

Posted via CB10
    But that's the thing though. I don't think they want to complete directly with the iphone and androids anymore. They are going for the corporate and enterprise route as that is their core and has always been. Still the only MDM to be approved by DOD and NATO. Very recently, the fact that BES10 was updated and made much cheaper is, to me a hint towards this change of focus and their devices will still serve a purpose which is to be the most secure mobile device for professional use. A niche as they would call it.

They should market themselves as "professional tools" as opposed to "toys" even though the informed would know that right now there's not much to differentiate them besides blackberry's security aspect.

What's important is brand perception and image no?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 10:09 PM
    but what would make me very happy is if Mike and Doug put together a buyout,
    I think whatever happens, Mike L. will have say not only by the shares he owns but I suspect due to the fact that he is very well politically connected and respected.
    10-16-13 10:11 PM
    Stay away from Cerberus, those bastards double crossed Shepard and allied with the Reapers!
    FSeverino and black.rhino like this.
    10-16-13 10:22 PM
    You have a nice profitability business case, but there are simply to many big players that rely on BlackBerry (Military, Government, etc., etc.), that would not allow this to happen. It would not be the case without a solid and clear exit strategy laid-out before an incumbent bid would be accepted. Your strategy would have to drag out for up to 5 Years with relation commitments, as apparently, that is a common contract for Crown Corporations. If we were talking say, Nokia, I would go with your thesis, but this won't happen with BlackBerry.

Simple: Cerberus will look and see that BB has a sizable inventory of BB10 phones, so they'll cut BB10 OS development to the bone, dump everyone involved on the hardware side, and focus on trying to sell BES10 to companies, along with as many of the existing BB10 phones as they have. Margins for these sales will be better, and they won't have to advertise - these sales are normally done via corporate account reps, so those guys will keep their jobs. I'd guess you'd see BB's headcount get reduced to 3,000 or less, total, which means another halving after this current 4,500 headcount reduction.

The consumer market will be abandoned completely - consumer support staff eliminated, advertising eliminated, and dev promotions limited to business-relevant apps (maybe pushing for clients from SAP, Salesforce, Cisco, Citrix, etc.). You might be able to buy the phones direct from the website, but consumer carrier support will be withdrawn.

After a year or 18 months, BB will be "profitable" on the books, and they'll either try to find a sucker to sell it to that can't figure out that they made the profit by sacrificing their future completely, OR they'll shutter the company at that point, after having milked every last dollar of profit out of it, and selling off the patents and anything else of value once they are no longer of use.

Despite what they say (they made similar assurances to the gun companies: "It will be business as usual"), all they're looking to do is to extract the maximum dollars is the shortest time possible. That's what Private Equity does. There's no desire for a "long term plan" because they aren't in business to be manufacturers or tech companies, but rather to extract money from companies for a while, then moving on to the next opportunity.
    10-16-13 10:37 PM
    Three headed dog from hell will be very attentive and friendly, for sure.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-16-13 10:42 PM
    Cerberus phone?

Cerberus wants all of BlackBerry-mass_effect_cerberus_theme_by_troffel696-d38onmk.jpg

Cerberus wants all of BlackBerry-mass-effect-2-cerberus-iphone_1.jpg
    snihed likes this.
    10-16-13 10:47 PM
    But that's the thing though. I don't think they want to complete directly with the iphone and androids anymore. They are going for the corporate and enterprise route as that is their core and has always been. Still the only MDM to be approved by DOD and NATO. Very recently, the fact that BES10 was updated and made much cheaper is, to me a hint towards this change of focus and their devices will still serve a purpose which is to be the most secure mobile device for professional use. A niche as they would call it.

They should market themselves as "professional tools" as opposed to "toys" even though the informed would know that right now there's not much to differentiate them besides blackberry's security aspect.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's that they don't want to, I think they just realized they can't. The whole tools not toys movement hurt them dearly. People are still quoting it, and when the z10 came out as they supposed answer to iPhone and Android people started using it again, against BB's intentions. People didn't want just tools. They wanted the "lady in the boardroom and ***** in the bedroom."
    Focusing on the so called prosumer shouldn't be their primary objective, but it may be their only option now.
    10-16-13 11:37 PM
    Cerberus phone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mass_effect_cerberus_theme_by_troffel696-d38onmk.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	211187

Name:	Mass-Effect-2-Cerberus-iPhone_1.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	211188
    Looks legit. I think they codenamed this "Project Lazaridis".
    black.rhino and FSeverino like this.
    10-16-13 11:40 PM
    Looks legit. I think they codenamed this "Project Lazaridis".
    Slow clap for you my friend. Slow. Clap.

I find all this interesting because BlackBerry was THE enterprise phone, and then people brought it into their personal lives. The opposite happened with the iPhone. If BB focuses on strengths - the prosumer(?) - people will bring it into their personal lives, just like the first time. In theory...
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 11:50 PM
    wonder if this makes news will the stock go up. Someone recently bought 5 million shares of bb. wonder who?
    10-17-13 01:43 AM
    But that's the thing though. I don't think they want to complete directly with the iphone and androids anymore. They are going for the corporate and enterprise route as that is their core and has always been.
    But iphones, wp8 and android are competing for corporate and enterprise so they still have to directly compete anyway...
    10-17-13 01:53 AM
    Business Week just reported that Cerberus has signed an undisclosed confidential agreement for a possible bid for the whole company!

Posted via Harry
    Either they want to eviscerate the HOLE Company and smash them after purchasing (cause they are greedy and see a chance for maximize profits) or they feel just cleverer than the current board and KNOW, that BlackBerry could come back to new success with finally suitable marketing, advertising, image-campaigns, etc. (cause they are greedy and see a chance for maximize profits).... I would love to see the second variety.... ( and in this context Boulben in a pillory right in the middle of the marketplace in my town...I already gather saliva)
    10-17-13 04:51 AM
    The company's name is "Cerberus"... can't expect anything positive from them. Really hope they don't sell out to them. I want FairFax or Mike L to get BlackBerry.
    10-17-13 08:58 AM
    You have a nice profitability business case, but there are simply to many big players that rely on BlackBerry (Military, Government, etc., etc.), that would not allow this to happen. It would not be the case without a solid and clear exit strategy laid-out before an incumbent bid would be accepted. Your strategy would have to drag out for up to 5 Years with relation commitments, as apparently, that is a common contract for Crown Corporations. If we were talking say, Nokia, I would go with your thesis, but this won't happen with BlackBerry.
    Are you talking about the Canadian government?

If it's the US, Apple and Samsung are already in the mix. BB is still the prime player, but for people that absolutely must have a smartphone, the BBRY uncertainty is going to hurt them.
    10-17-13 09:04 AM
    Cerberus phone?

Name:	Mass-Effect-2-Cerberus-iPhone_1.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	211188
    Sweet, The Illusive Man is going to be running BlackBerry. A much better choice than Heins.
    10-17-13 10:07 AM
    Stay away from Cerberus, those bastards double crossed Shepard and allied with the Reapers!
    But we need the Reaper's indoctrination to get people to buy more BB10 phones!
    10-17-13 10:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    Oh boy the Tools not Toys argument again.... They have tried pushing this before and failed. In BYOD people want a device that is both. Fact is that Apple has substantially more productivity apps than BlackBerry. So it is a better tool and toy. BlackBerry may be better out of the box in built in functionality, but not by a lot, but once apps are thrown into the equation BlackBerry is quickly left in the dust in overall functionality whether it is the medical field, legal field, any field you pick. Why do you think BlackBerry added Apple and iOS support to BES10: because that is what people want! If BlackBerry wants to be a major MDM player, great, but that won't save BB10 for handsets. In the end the phone has to get the productivity apps the others have if it really is going to be the Tool you say that it is, and going niche, prosumer, or whatever buzzword bingo term BlackBerry throws out for the week will only further separate it from getting devs to bring these productivity apps that people want on the device. Business and government will see most secure and little to no productivity apps, and secure enough and plenty of productivity apps and go with the latter.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-17-13 11:18 AM
    Cerberus phone?

It's Samsung Wave GT-S8500 running bada OS (Tizen predecessor), I had it once .
    10-17-13 11:28 AM
    Business Week just reported that Cerberus has signed an undisclosed confidential agreement for a possible bid for the whole company!

Posted via Harry
    10-17-13 01:33 PM
    I just want BB to remain building and improving on bb10. Don't care who owns them in the end.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    Truly agree with it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-17-13 02:36 PM
    Overall Cerberus seems to know what they doing, so they might be what BlackBerry needs right now. I would not classify Cerberus as "Vulture Capitalists". They were there for Chrysler when times were tough.
    10-17-13 03:06 PM
    Overall Cerberus seems to know what they doing, so they might be what BlackBerry needs right now. I would not classify Cerberus as "Vulture Capitalists". They were there for Chrysler when times were tough.
    the plan for chrysler was to bring it back up but there was to muc debt and the money wasn't there so they sold their share of it at a 10% loss.

i don't see any company looking to buy blackberry just to sell it for scraps, there is more value in it then just scraps
    10-17-13 03:34 PM
    It's Samsung Wave GT-S8500 running bada OS (Tizen predecessor), I had it once .
    i know... i mean the Cerberus theme and connection for ME3 lol
    10-17-13 08:06 PM
98 ... 234