10-17-13 08:06 PM
98 1234
tools
    It could be good. Look at what Cerberus has done for SUPERVALU in the States. Their stock has risen from $1.86 to $8.48 in the past year.
    SUPERVALU (SVU) Set to Announce Earnings on Thursday | WKRB News - WKRB News
    10-16-13 10:56 AM
    I don't understand why anyone thinks Blackberry is going to be purchased by a company that intends to keep it together and carry on business as usual. Current management has proven that BB can't be competitive under those circumstances, and BB10 appears to be a consumer flop.

Whether it's Fairfax or Cerberus, current mangement or someone else, Blackberry as we know it is done. Priorities are already shifting away from consumers and the current overstock of BB10 devices doesn't bode well for the future profitability of the hardware business, which will likely be the first piece of the pie carved-off and jettisoned after a sale.

Most likely scenario in a year or so has the Blackberry brand limited to cross platform enterprise device management and apps, QNX focused back on M2M and vehicle interface systems, and the handset business sold to Amazon or one of the Chinese manufacturers. Z30 is likely the last Blackberry handset and BB10 will end up as a novelty like WebOS.

What this means to investors is yet to be seen, really depends on how much interest there is by PE firms like Cerebrus to beat Fairfax's offer.
    richardat and Air Force One like this.
    10-16-13 11:02 AM
    That was solely thank to FIAT ceo.
    No, to the US gov silent insistence on keeping our strategic manufacturing base alive.
    10-16-13 11:31 AM
    I don't understand why anyone thinks Blackberry is going to be purchased by a company that intends to keep it together and carry on business as usual. Current management has proven that BB can't be competitive under those circumstances, and BB10 appears to be a consumer flop.
    Hyperbolic conclusion - the only thing TH et al proved that the current plan/current management is incompetent, not the OS or the developers or the handset designers or anything else. I still hope someone comes onboard, slims the company down, beginning with TH and his staff, stripping them from any severance package then makes the investment to fix things up then operates efficiently as a small, niche, communication-focused player. It's not impossible but it would require a very determined investor, for sure.
    donmateo, GTiLeo and gfondeur like this.
    10-16-13 11:34 AM
    Cerberus will have to submit a viable plan to the CDN government. It will go under considerable scrutiny and concessions and agreements will have to be made.
    The Big Picture and Nharzhool like this.
    10-16-13 11:38 AM
    BOLD: Yet they launching class action suits left and right but forgot "THEY" took the risk.
    Shame.
    In Canada, yesterday was the best day ever for the first day of a launch of a new BlackBerry smartphone. In fact, it was more than 50% better than any other launch day in our history in Canada, said Thorsten Heins, President & CEO of BlackBerry. In the UK, we have seen close to three times our best performance ever for the first week of sales for a BlackBerry smartphone.

By what metric, ask the members of the class action--or they had better.

Consumers, prosumers, remember you would have NO BB10 phones without the investors.
    10-16-13 11:43 AM

Whether it's Fairfax or Cerberus, current mangement or someone else, Blackberry as we know it is done. Priorities are already shifting away from consumers and the current overstock of BB10 devices doesn't bode well for the future profitability of the hardware business, which will likely be the first piece of the pie carved-off and jettisoned after a sale.

Most likely scenario in a year or so has the Blackberry brand limited to cross platform enterprise device management and apps, QNX focused back on M2M and vehicle interface systems, and the handset business sold to Amazon or one of the Chinese manufacturers. Z30 is likely the last Blackberry handset and BB10 will end up as a novelty like WebOS.

What this means to investors is yet to be seen, really depends on how much interest there is by PE firms like Cerebrus to beat Fairfax's offer.
    Hyperbolic conclusion - the only thing TH et al proved that the current plan/current management is incompetent, not the OS or the developers or the handset designers or anything else. I still hope someone comes onboard, slims the company down, beginning with TH and his staff, stripping them from any severance package then makes the investment to fix things up then operates efficiently as a small, niche, communication-focused player. It's not impossible but it would require a very determined investor, for sure.
    Correct. CURRENT management is incompetent and unable to produce results, however, if the proper people and slimdown were attained, it would be a very different story.
    FSeverino and gfondeur like this.
    10-16-13 12:20 PM
    Cerberus. Bad.

(But alas, I believe nothing until it's signed, sealed and delivered)
    Eloquent as ever

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    10-16-13 03:39 PM
    Reminds me of "Too Big to Fail." Some companies are, some aren't. The fact that they've hardly helped thus far is intriguing. If they were to block all foreign sale, including US, they'd feel the repercussions immediately. I am in no way pro-bailouts, just making observations.
    Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) should take over control of BlackBerry and operate it as a separate crown corporation minus any electronic eavesdropping.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 03:50 PM
    Cerberus will have to submit a viable plan to the CDN government. It will go under considerable scrutiny and concessions and agreements will have to be made.
    This^

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 04:36 PM
    i think nothing is going to happen, and its probably going to be like Dell. If mike and doug want to take over, if the have enough shares and backup it might just happen like dell. Dell was in the same postion and the original owner bought everything back and is going private. If you look at it they dell just release a new alienwares laptops. If they have no money why bother.
    I've said this before, and I do have a conflict of interest in saying so, but what would make me very happy is if Mike and Doug put together a buyout, I'd hope they'd leave it publicly-traded, so that those of us who think that BlackBerry has a chance (and to hell if we ride it all the way down to zero) we might benefit in the same way as Apple devotees became very well rewarded for their patience, faith and commitment. Utlimately BlackBerry does have the resources to make a go of this, I feel, and as the PR-driven open letter suggests, they're in it to win it.

All I ask is that they find some marketer who can open a chink in Apple's and Android's fortress, and SELL these things!
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 05:46 PM
    I've said this before, and I do have a conflict of interest in saying so, but what would make me very happy is if Mike and Doug put together a buyout, I'd hope they'd leave it publicly-traded, so that those of us who think that BlackBerry has a chance (and to hell if we ride it all the way down to zero) we might benefit in the same way as Apple devotees became very well rewarded for their patience, faith and commitment. Utlimately BlackBerry does have the resources to make a go of this, I feel, and as the PR-driven open letter suggests, they're in it to win it.

All I ask is that they find some marketer who can open a chink in Apple's and Android's fortress, and SELL these things!
    On the same boat.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 05:54 PM
    I just want BB to remain building and improving on bb10. Don't care who owns them in the end.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    exactly, i don't care who owns them i just don't wantem stripped apart and me havign to go buy a WP or droid or iPhone, there is a reason i chose my blackberry and chose not to buy one of the others
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 06:11 PM

a managment team can be replaced and no OS has caught on within 8 months of being released.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 06:14 PM
    truer words were never spoken
    10-16-13 06:15 PM
    Did I read this correct? CEO of Cereberus is Former Vice President, Dan Quayle? The company is located in Westchester County NY.
    10-16-13 07:58 PM
    No cerberus, stay away cerberus, go fetch a ball cerberus.
    10-16-13 08:05 PM
    If Canada won't allow it then they should bail BlackBerry out.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    Bail them out?
    10-16-13 08:10 PM
    Did I read this correct? CEO of Cereberus is Former Vice President, Dan Quayle? The company is located in Westchester County NY.
    Quayle isn't quite the fool the media portrayed him to be.

He just can't spell potaytoe, poteyto, poetatoe...................
    10-16-13 08:25 PM
    Bail them out?
    why would they need a bail out, they need a new management team, thats all they need, they have the technology they just need people who know how to sell and run a multi billion dollar enterprise
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 08:27 PM
    If Cerberus buys BlackBerry, you can be assured they will squeeze every last dollar out of the company before it pops. Before they do that, you can also be assured they will install a back door to the NSA.
    Cerberus is a company that has been know to help out distressed companies, they don't just rip a company a part to make a dollar, if they see future value i'm sure they will put effort into it, if it fails then they will pick it clean.

whats better then to clean up blackberry make it profitable again and sell it for maybe $30-40 a shar when they could buy it for $10. you pay $5 billion invest some time into it and energy and the possibility of it increasing in value for a future sale is more worth while then selling it on in peices and maybe making a few billion dollars.

there is value in BlackBerry they have the technology and they have a loyal fan base, they also have the enterprise sector, can they clean up position themselves right and let the market know they they are in the game, the company will become profitable, they just need to manage it better
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 08:51 PM
    why would they need a bail out, they need a new management team, thats all they need, they have the technology they just need people who know how to sell and run a multi billion dollar enterprise
    I believe that was my point. The company isn't in debt. There's nothing to bail out.
    10-16-13 08:52 PM
    I believe that was my point. The company isn't in debt. There's nothing to bail out.
    lol oops i saw allyou said was "bail them out?" like you were asking if it was a possibility, sorry sir
    10-16-13 08:57 PM
    They don't need a bailout. What they need now is a good pr company and an excellent marketing and advertising team.

They also need someone to force developers too launch big name apps. At gun point. (kidding...... or maybe not? :-)

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-16-13 09:37 PM
    They don't need a bailout. What they need now is a good pr company and an excellent marketing and advertising team.

They also need someone to force developers too launch big name apps. At gun point. (kidding...... or maybe not? :-)

Posted via CB10
    They also need Billions for advertising to change the negative sentiment associated with the BlackBerry brand. More than the cash they have on hand. It has taken Samsung a lot of money to be considered a viable iPhone alternative.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 09:46 PM
98 1234