05-28-15 07:22 AM
241 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Given the CBC's track record of late...
    Would not be surprised one bit if someone at the CBC is short BB and called the shot to end support for the BB app. Ya know, make it look like Canada is not supporting its' own. I'm just saying of course. Don't take me too seriously. After all, like my friend Amanda would say, "Haters will be haters". Ain't that right Amanda??
    02-01-15 07:58 AM
    Given the CBC's track record of late...
    Would not be surprised one bit if someone at the CBC is short BB and called the shot to end support for the BB app. Ya know, make it look like Canada is not supporting its' own. I'm just saying of course. Don't take me too seriously. After all, like my friend Amanda would say, "Haters will be haters". Ain't that right Amanda??
    I agree with the first part of your post, but what's with Mrs Lang?
    02-01-15 08:10 AM
    The strong reaction to the loss of the CBC app from some confuses me a little and I realize that perhaps I am missing something. Why is the loss of the app so important when the mobile website works well, is well laid out and serves the same purpose (providing news)? I too used the app but switched over to the mobile website when it was announced that the app would no longer be supported. I placed a CBC mobile website shortcut icon where the CBC app icon used to be and have wondered why folks are so upset by the change. What am I missing here?
    You miss that the web version works for Android and Apple too but that they have a dedicated application that they even maintain...
    Such a good move from a canadian *public* media (ie financed by canadian people and their paid tax!).
    I'm from France and don't even mind that media, but I can feel some rants there!
    Spoke about canadian support and good use of public money!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:36 AM
    You miss that the web version works for Android and Apple too but that they have a dedicated application that they even maintain...
    Such a good move from a canadian *public* media (ie financed by canadian people and their paid tax!).
    I'm from France and don't even mind that media, but I can feel some rants there!
    Spoke about canadian support and good use of public money!

Posted via CB10
    So its all about having apps even when you don't really need them to perform a task? Is having lots of apps that you don't need kind of like having 1000 Facebook Friends? Sorry, still don't get it!
    02-01-15 09:09 AM
    So its all about having apps even when you don't really need them to perform a task? Is having lots of apps that you don't need kind of like having 1000 Facebook Friends? Sorry, still don't get it!
    I liked the active frame (scrolling headlines)plus the app was easier to navigate and smoother.

Posted via CB10
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    02-01-15 12:46 PM
    I noticed it was working temporarily again, but now it's not.

Who here has been messaging CBC?

Do they even really need to do much with the app? I mean it just makes the same data connections to the news feeds that the iDroid apps do. They've probably had to expend more effort to kill this app than to just let it be.
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-01-15 03:16 PM
    The app allowed you to scroll sideways to quickly go through the stories.

If the website is so good, why are they still continuing to spend $ maintaining the apple and android apps.

Also... as someone else mentioned, why didn't they just keep the BlackBerry app going unmaintained.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 05:47 PM
    Well your good stewards of your tax dollars recently spent some of your taxes to update the Android and iPhone apps. As I said before, if they don't have the budget, they should just drop all apps and have everybody use the web site. Not just pick and choose which ones to cut.
    Exactly... if we're going to use the " too costly logic" all apps should be pulled in favor of a very good mobile website. But of course it's double standards..

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-01-15 06:26 PM
    Exactly... if we're going to use the " too costly logic" all apps should be pulled in favor of a very good mobile website. But of course it's double standards..

Posted via CB10
    No, not necessarily.

Any organization would want a mobile presence. It's quite necessary, even. Looking at development costs, it is easy for a company to have a cutoff.

Google (the most eyeball driven corporation in the planet) has a cutoff. MSFT has a cutoff. BlackBerry has a cutoff.

Why shouldn't CBC?
    mornhavon and techvisor like this.
    02-01-15 07:54 PM
    Think cost per user or, even better, cost per user engagement.

BB10 apps are *much* more expensive on a per user or per engagement basis compared to iOS or Android apps (for most companies).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    techvisor, mornhavon and Eumaeus like this.
    02-01-15 09:19 PM
    Think cost per user or, even better, cost per user engagement.

BB10 apps are *much* more expensive on a per user or per engagement basis compared to iOS or Android apps (for most companies).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    So what's the difference between CBC and CTV ?
    02-01-15 09:24 PM
    So what's the difference between CBC and CTV ?
    The specific metrics they are looking at (number of BB10 users of their service, etc), their specific cost structure, and the person(s) making decisions over there. These are human beings making decisions, and some organizations are more heavily data-driven than others.

Who knows if CTV will have a BB10 app a year from now.
    3MIKE likes this.
    02-01-15 09:38 PM
    The app allowed you to scroll sideways to quickly go through the stories.
    Not only that, being built in Cascades meant the menu button was within reach without hyperextending and dislocating your right thumb.

For some reason, app designers these days insist on putting the menu button as far away as humanly possible, and then a little bit further away from the user's thumb.
    02-01-15 09:43 PM
    The specific metrics they are looking at (number of BB10 users of their service, etc), their specific cost structure, and the person(s) making decisions over there. These are human beings making decisions, and some organizations are more heavily data-driven than others.

Who knows if CTV will have a BB10 app a year from now.
    I'm still calling bullshot on this cbc thing. Was listening to cbc radio on the way home tonight and they were talking about podcasts options for thete shows. Apparently, all I had to do was download the app for either my iPhone or Ipad.

Well I have neither but yet still pay taxes to this self serving leftist 'public' broadcaster.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and Dave Bourque like this.
    02-01-15 10:18 PM
    Obviously, some people are really upset about the loss of the CBC app and maybe with good reason(s). However, I spent some time going back and forth between the CBC mobile website and the CTV app last night and IMHO CBC's mobile website offers a better experience on my Z30 than CTV's app. Of course some would disagree and I guess it comes down to personal preference. I personally don't care that iOS or Android users have a CBC app that I can no longer have -- they have thousands of apps that I can't have because I have chosen BlackBerry as my mobile device. Sadly, the numbers just don't support my choice if apps are a primary consideration in a mobile device. That being said, it is apparent that CBC did not handle the discontinuation of their BB app very well and that they should explain their rationale to the public who was using it.

To app, or not to app, that is the question...
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-02-15 06:44 AM
    First the song, and now the app.... what's next ...sell Tim Hortons...oh wait...

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    02-11-15 06:12 AM
    The app still works, but the last news story was from Feb 8th.

Let's all flood CBC's twitter with complaints...
    02-11-15 12:02 PM
    The app still works, but the last news story was from Feb 8th.

Let's all flood CBC's twitter with complaints...
    Yeah after they kept updating the news, I thought they meant they would no longer add improvements/features to the app itself. It totally sucks that they are not even updating the news.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 12:18 PM
    Just gave the Android app a shot.

Don't waste your time.
    02-11-15 08:21 PM
    I miss the app (( first world problems

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    02-12-15 05:45 PM
    I can't get over this!
    I'm so pissed off!
    This was part of my morning routine.
    GRRRRR!

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    rai187 likes this.
    02-14-15 10:49 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't they pretty much doing what Blackberry told developers to do?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-14-15 12:29 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't they pretty much doing what Blackberry told developers to do?
    They are following BlackBerry's advice for app developers to the letter.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Eumaeus like this.
    02-14-15 08:39 PM
    Not working for me anymore

It opens & loads data ok, but the articles are all old

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 09:12 PM
    The app appears to be working again today with fresh content.
    02-20-15 03:54 PM
241 ... 56789 ...