05-28-15 08:22 AM
241 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Do you seriously think a CBC News app will sway a buyer one way or the other?

Apps are the issue, but to say that CBC has a mandate to have a BB10 app to support BB because it's a Canadian company, is, well...
    The cbc app alone absolutely not, but if that attitude is used with every app there will be no apps left. Every app has to be seen as important.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 12:23 PM

Apps are the issue, but to say that CBC has a mandate to have a BB10 app to support BB because it's a Canadian company, is, well...
    Infinitely hilarious?
    01-29-15 12:26 PM
    The cbc app alone absolutely not, but if that attitude is used with every app there will be no apps left. Every app has to be seen as important.

Posted via CB10
    Where is CBC's financial incentive to continue to support a BB10 app?
    01-29-15 04:51 PM
    Where is CBC's financial incentive to continue to support a BB10 app?
    Cbc is a tax payer funded entity, it should be doing what is best for the country as a hole. Having an app that works for a major Canadian company should be one of its objectives. BlackBerry employs a lot of people within Canada these people in turn pay taxes that help fund the cbc, the least cbc can do is continuing to support BlackBerry with this app.

Even Tim Horton's which is a company built on making money understand that morally they should support a fellow Canadian company by building an app. A pretty nice one at that.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-29-15 05:10 PM
    Cbc is a tax payer funded entity, it should be doing what is best for the country as a hole. Having an app that works for a major Canadian company should be one of its objectives. BlackBerry employs a lot of people within Canada these people in turn pay taxes that help fund the cbc, the least cbc can do is continuing to support BlackBerry with this app.

Even Tim Horton's which is a company built on making money understand that morally they should support a fellow Canadian company by building an app. A pretty nice one at that.

Posted via CB10
    The idea that a publicly funded entity has a moral responsibility to support a corporate one is weird.

Supporting, by way of a mobile app, is weirder still.

But again, by supporting Android and iOS, this broadcaster IS supporting the majority of mobile-minded Canadians.

Tough to argue that point... or should be, IMHO.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-29-15 06:51 PM
    A new Canadian car maker was just announced and will have a new Canadian car out by the end of 2015... shortly after that announcement Petro-Canada announced they would not support falling of the Canadian car at their stations... when asked for comment, the public state Ted that the conversion to bio diesel was easy and those car buyers should just do that, it works just as well.

Of course I'm exaggerating but this is how us Canadians trying to be proud of our exports feel we're treated.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:05 PM
    The idea that a publicly funded entity has a moral responsibility to support a corporate one is weird.

But again, by supporting Android and iOS, this broadcaster IS supporting the majority of mobile-minded Canadians.

It's been done before, EDC did just loan vodafone a bunch of money for BlackBerry purchases. That's supporting a corporation with a public entity.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:09 PM
    It's been done before, EDC did just loan vodafone a bunch of money for BlackBerry purchases. That's supporting a corporation with a public entity.

Posted via CB10
    EDC's mandate is to make loans to Canadian corporations.
    01-29-15 07:35 PM

Tge Canadian government loaned GM and Chrysler billions of dollars. Jurisdictions all over North America use public funds to attract industry.

Regardless, I suspect from your posts that you don't know much about the CBC. They are to support Canadian entities. Android and Apple don't really pay taxes in this country. BlackBerry does.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE and Tre Lawrence like this.
    01-29-15 07:38 PM
    Tge Canadian government loaned GM and Chrysler billions of dollars. Jurisdictions all over North America use public funds to attract industry.

Regardless, I suspect from your posts that you don't know much about the CBC. They are to support Canadian entities. Android and Apple don't really pay taxes in this country. BlackBerry does.

Posted via CB10
    You tend to glean a lot of fictional things from people's posts.

In any case, I'll stand down to your expertise of all things CBC, which, for some reason, does not include an awareness of why this decision might not be anti-Canadian.

I say take it to the polls. LOL.
    01-29-15 07:48 PM
    You tend to glean a lot of fictional things from people's posts.

In any case, I'll stand down to your expertise of all things CBC, which, for some reason, does not include an awareness of why this decision might not be anti-Canadian.

I say take it to the polls. LOL.
    That is because there is a lot of fictional things on people's posts in case you haven't noticed.

I won't elaborate on your tendencies.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-29-15 10:52 PM
    Some proactive measures for those that consider CBC's app decision treacherous to Canadian interests: Contact information - Canada.ca

Let your voice be heard.
    01-29-15 11:19 PM
    There was an expected return on investment with those loans. And it's in the government's interest to help Canadian companies

Posted via CB10
    False. The CBC's mandate is the promotion of Canadian culture through broadcasting. They are to support the Canadian film and television industry. Not other random Canadian companies.

They are a taxpayer funded entity. I expect them to be good stewards of my tax dollars.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-30-15 08:57 AM
    There was an expected return on investment with those loans. And it's in the government's interest to help Canadian companies

False. The CBC's mandate is the promotion of Canadian culture through broadcasting. They are to support the Canadian film and television industry. Not other random Canadian companies.

They are a taxpayer funded entity. I expect them to be good stewards of my tax dollars.
    Well your good stewards of your tax dollars recently spent some of your taxes to update the Android and iPhone apps. As I said before, if they don't have the budget, they should just drop all apps and have everybody use the web site. Not just pick and choose which ones to cut.
    01-30-15 06:58 PM
    Politics aside, I really like the mobile web site...
    01-30-15 07:12 PM
    Looks like it's done, app won't open. Thanks cbc.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 04:42 AM
    Yup same. App officially deleted. CTV is now my app of choice.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 08:22 AM
    Come to think of it, it's funny how the CBC a center left
    01-31-15 08:46 AM
    It's funny how the CBC, a center left medium that prones protectionism and equality, stopped support for the BlackBerry app; while CTV, which is more center right prones free enterprise, supports it.
    01-31-15 09:08 AM
    Looks like it's done, app won't open. Thanks cbc.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I will miss this app.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 09:15 AM
    Centre left....that made my morning.

Most media is considered to be centre left...CBC is just a TAD further to the left.

App resembled the mobile site minus notifications.

It's funny how the CBC, a center left medium that prones protectionism and equality, stopped support for the BlackBerry app; while CTV, which is more center right prones free enterprise, supports it.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-31-15 09:27 AM
    So sad, at least they could have updated the app in BlackBerry App world to point to their mobile website. I used to use this app several times each day.

I used to like listening to the hourly news on demand through this app. I'm not sure I care to find another way.

I'll keep using the Globe and Mail app to get my news now.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:43 PM
    Centre left....that made my morning.

Most media is considered to be centre left...CBC is just a TAD further to the left.

App resembled the mobile site minus notifications.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    And sometimes more than a just tad.

Posted via CB10
    FrankUnderwood and 3MIKE like this.
    01-31-15 03:26 PM
    Same here. I will miss this app.

Posted via CB10
    The app is working today??????

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:03 AM
    The strong reaction to the loss of the CBC app from some confuses me a little and I realize that perhaps I am missing something. Why is the loss of the app so important when the mobile website works well, is well laid out and serves the same purpose (providing news)? I too used the app but switched over to the mobile website when it was announced that the app would no longer be supported. I placed a CBC mobile website shortcut icon where the CBC app icon used to be and have wondered why folks are so upset by the change. What am I missing here?
    02-01-15 08:52 AM
241 ... 45678 ...