05-28-15 07:22 AM
241 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I've been using the mobile site for a few days now and actually prefer it.

Downloaded the newly designed app for my wife's iPad. Irritating to say the least.

Life is good.

Not sent from an iOS device.
    01-13-15 05:33 PM
    So, the way some of you you see it, CBC should always support Canadian entities, even if Canadians in general don't support said entity?

It is exceptionally odd to me that folks think nationalism sentiment should be a factor here.

Question: is BBRY held to the same standard?
    Well then I find it ironic that you say this as all Canadian broadcasters are required to have minimal Canadian content on TV and radio to increase Canadians exposure to Canadian products such as artists.

The parallel is inescapable...Cbc is required to have Canadian shows produced in Canada to help the artists and industry and have chosen not to do so in another Canadian product in BlackBerry.

I for one will be happy when the Cbc finally shuts it's doors for good. Heck the only thing most Canadians watch on it has been hockey night in Canada and even that's gone now without so much as a whimper.

They don't support BlackBerry then it's simple for me. I don't support CBC and will go to their competitors.

I know they truly don't care as they never have about anything or anyone not helping their agenda but no matter how big or small the BlackBerry audience is I believe they will lose most of them and isn't good business or wise decision making for a public entity.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 11:06 AM
    So, the way some of you you see it, CBC should always support Canadian entities, even if Canadians in general don't support said entity?

It is exceptionally odd to me that folks think nationalism sentiment should be a factor here.

Question: is BBRY held to the same standard?
    Yes. And yes. Because taxes go to support CBC. There shouldn't be the slightest bashing of BlackBerry. But that doesn't mean it needs to promote them either. They need to be far more neutral.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-14-15 12:08 PM
    Maybe you all should be angry at other Canadians for not supporting BlackBerry, instead of the CBC for supporting the majority of Canadians.
    It's the media's job to inform people of new current events... not misinform.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 12:10 PM
    Well then I find it ironic that you say this as all Canadian broadcasters are required to have minimal Canadian content on TV and radio to increase Canadians exposure to Canadian products such as artists.

The parallel is inescapable...Cbc is required to have Canadian shows produced in Canada to help the artists and industry and have chosen not to do so in another Canadian product in BlackBerry.

I for one will be happy when the Cbc finally shuts it's doors for good. Heck the only thing most Canadians watch on it has been hockey night in Canada and even that's gone now without so much as a whimper.

They don't support BlackBerry then it's simple for me. I don't support CBC and will go to their competitors.

I know they truly don't care as they never have about anything or anyone not helping their agenda but no matter how big or small the BlackBerry audience is I believe they will lose most of them and isn't good business or wise decision making for a public entity.

Posted via CB10
    The way I see it, folks tend to want things that are not logical.

Let's remove BBRY from the equation.

Resources are limited. If I were a corporation, and wanted to pick the best way to reach my NA-based mobile audience -- with aforementioned limited resources -- the options are clear: iOS and Android. If CBC's metrics mirror that of Canada as a whole, it simply makes sense.

If I also knew maintaining one of those options (Android) covered yet another demographic (BB10 users), why would I spend the the extra money?

Outside a select set of folks here, I doubt many folks will see this as wrong, with good reason. That is why we'll probably never see BBRY comment on this "injustice" at all, because there isn't anything to complain about. It's the same reason BBRY doesn't make apps for every OS. BBRY makes an app for Facebook. Why doesn't it do the same for CBC?

Business priorities. It's the way things work. It's the reason BBRY lays off Canadian workers or releases devices to other countries first: survival.

Again, I find it especially hard to believe that folks can rationally glean anti-nationalism from CBC for dropping support for a for profit platform with smaller marketshare.
    01-14-15 12:45 PM
    Yes. And yes. Because taxes go to support CBC. There shouldn't be the slightest bashing of BlackBerry. But that doesn't mean it needs to promote them either. They need to be far more neutral.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I'd agree. The "Communist" Broadcasting Corporation is far from neutral.

I'm finally done with this publicly funded POS of a news organization.

I hope they shut their doors for good!

And as for Amanda Lang, she'd be the only one I hope gets rehired. The rest of them can go to hell!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 01:05 PM
    It's the media's job to inform people of new current events... not misinform.

Posted via CB10
    Your own country has given up on their brand (citizens and media it seems).

Why would the developers at the CBC waste their time developing a native app for a platform that barely anyone uses, when they know they can just install the Android version or use the HTML5 site?

The CBC is catering to the majority of Canadians. The overwhelming majority use iOS and Android. BlackBerry supports Android apps. They are killing two birds with one stone.

Be angry at your own countrymen for letting BlackBerry sink to the bottom of the barrel or your countries smartphone marketshare.

Also, what does the media misinforming people have to do with my previous comment?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-14-15 01:12 PM
    If html5 is the future well it is all good. How long everything (apps) will become html5?

Z 30
    01-15-15 11:58 PM
    It still works, but you get a message in a red banner that says that they are not supporting the app anymore for BlackBerry users and direct you to their mobile site that defaults to the Ottawa area. OK for Ottawa residents I guess.

Posted via CB10
    You can change the Ottawa default setting. Still the native app is much smoother. Bad on CBC.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 04:50 PM
    I love the App...works well and native and now the taxpayer funded CBC shuts it down. How expensive / hard is it to keep this running?

Posted via CB10
    I can't imagine it is a lot but this is the trend until BlackBerry gets their act together. Although the Android version works great so really with Snap it's available for every BlackBerry user.

Swiped via The BlackBerry Z30
    01-17-15 11:45 PM
    The only good thing that comes out of CBC is Coronation Street, oh wait that's English LOL. Seriously does it matter how they get the news out as long as you can access it. It wasn't that long ago that a cell phone was just that a phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 07:43 PM
    I feel somewhat betrayed by the CBC. Since they're 100% taxpayer funded and are supposed to promote Canadian culture, they above all should be supporting Blackberry, even if the demographics aren't there. In fact, I think Blackberry itself should pony-up and develop the app for them, if for nothing else but to create shame. I'm a big CBC radio fan and use the website daily and as a taxpayer, I am very disappointed with this direction.

Hmmmm....there's an election coming, I wonder if this could be a debate question ???
    01-19-15 09:50 PM
    I agree. You would especially think that our government, who basically controls the crown corporation - CBC would want to show some support for BB. Instead it's kind a slap in the face. I'm getting tired of this "just use the Android version or a mobile web version."

Posted via CB10
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    01-19-15 10:49 PM
    The way I see it, folks tend to want things that are not logical.

Let's remove BBRY from the equation.

Resources are limited. If I were a corporation, and wanted to pick the best way to reach my NA-based mobile audience -- with aforementioned limited resources -- the options are clear: iOS and Android. If CBC's metrics mirror that of Canada as a whole, it simply makes sense.

If I also knew maintaining one of those options (Android) covered yet another demographic (BB10 users), why would I spend the the extra money?

Outside a select set of folks here, I doubt many folks will see this as wrong, with good reason. That is why we'll probably never see BBRY comment on this "injustice" at all, because there isn't anything to complain about. It's the same reason BBRY doesn't make apps for every OS. BBRY makes an app for Facebook. Why doesn't it do the same for CBC?

Business priorities. It's the way things work. It's the reason BBRY lays off Canadian workers or releases devices to other countries first: survival.

Again, I find it especially hard to believe that folks can rationally glean anti-nationalism from CBC for dropping support for a for profit platform with smaller marketshare.
    Ummm.... do you know anything about the mandate of the public broadcaster cbc? It would be better business to broadcast American programming, but that is not in their mandate

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 07:30 PM
    You can change the Ottawa default setting. Still the native app is much smoother.
    Unpossible!

BB has the best browser ever, and the highest HTML5 scores, and run smoother than any other phone, and all apps should be HTML5 anyway!

Or, at least, so says many BB fans...
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-23-15 07:45 PM
    Ummm.... do you know anything about the mandate of the public broadcaster cbc? It would be better business to broadcast American programming, but that is not in their mandate

Posted via CB10
    Forgive me... I'm lost; what does American programming have to do with this?

Does its mandate include supporting Canadian business, even when its audience itself does not support said Canadian business?
    01-23-15 09:04 PM
    Forgive me... I'm lost; what does American programming have to do with this?

Does its mandate include supporting Canadian business, even when its audience itself does not support said Canadian business?
    You are forgiven for your lost ways.

You brought up business, so I was giving the analogy of something that would make great business sense for the CBC ( popular American programming).

The CBC is not a business. It is a public broadcaster supported by taxpayer dollars whose purpose is to support all Canadian. The CBC has recently spent resources to update their Android and iPhone apps and then said that they don't have resources for the support of the BlackBerry app. If they truly don't have the budget for apps, they should drop all apps and just support the website, not discriminate against BlackBerry.

If the CBC was a private business, I would have no problem with their dropping support for a BlackBerry app.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-24-15 08:16 AM
    Unpossible!

BB has the best browser ever, and the highest HTML5 scores, and run smoother than any other phone, and all apps should be HTML5 anyway!

Or, at least, so says many BB fans...
    At least, we know with yourself what think about an *android* fan!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 08:30 AM
    The CBC is getting their budget slashed, maybe that a way of showing their discontent by penalizing Canadians. They (CBC) won't get support that way.
    I'm a regular user of the CBC app.
    01-24-15 09:46 AM
    You are forgiven for your lost ways.

You brought up business, so I was giving the analogy of something that would make great business sense for the CBC ( popular American programming).

The CBC is not a business. It is a public broadcaster supported by taxpayer dollars whose purpose is to support all Canadian. The CBC has recently spent resources to update their Android and iPhone apps and then said that they don't have resources for the support of the BlackBerry app. If they truly don't have the budget for apps, they should drop all apps and just support the website, not discriminate against BlackBerry.

If the CBC was a private business, I would have no problem with their dropping support for a BlackBerry app.

Posted via CB10
    Well, it should be fairly easy for folks to get this reversed.

ETA: thanks for clarifying. Makes sense.

BTW, all organizations face the same pressures with regards to inputs, outputs and ROI.
    01-24-15 09:57 AM
    The CBC is getting their budget slashed, maybe that a way of showing their discontent by penalizing Canadians. They (CBC) won't get support that way.
    I'm a regular user of the CBC app.
    So you theorize that CBC slowed down BB10 development to somehow punish Canadians for slashed funding?

But (again) the majority of Canadians do not use BB10. So, in fact, CBC is streamlining resources to support to better support the majority of Canadians, no?
    01-24-15 10:04 AM
    So you theorize that CBC slowed down BB10 development to somehow punish Canadians for slashed funding?

But (again) the majority of Canadians do not use BB10. So, in fact, CBC is streamlining resources to support to better support the majority of Canadians, no?
    I know, I know, but they're targeting a Canadian company.
    01-24-15 03:34 PM
    They've cut half the local newscasts, closing offices all over the province of Ontario, laying off or basically firing their staff in these locations over the past few years and some folks here are in a tizzy about an app.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-26-15 03:44 PM
    They've cut half the local newscasts, closing offices all over the province of Ontario, laying off or basically firing their staff in these locations over the past few years and some folks here are in a tizzy about an app.
    We don't have to use the app.
    01-26-15 03:55 PM
    If you want, complain directly to CBC if you're a Canadian taxpayer. A recent report I saw showed Toronto at about 16% BlackBerry (not sure how many are bb10 but I see more of those in the wild every day). Still, I think they should just move everyone to a single html5 version in order to make a point about supporting open standards.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-26-15 06:01 PM
241 ... 23456 ...