03-20-11 07:38 AM
31 12
tools
    Nothing goofy about it. Trading a card for a card or having to have a separate fob around isn't the advancement the platform needs. Having it in your phone makes a lot more sense. It's something most of us have with us everyday. Some of the newer cars can be unlocked/started with your phone. It's not that much different from your argument of "Why should I have to carry a phone and a laptop when the phone can handle my needs?"

Do you realize how many companies are involved in your transactions right now? Most of the ATM and payment networks were built and are operated by the companies that have the generic ATM machines in place, not your banking institution.
    Yes, I understand that transactions via ATM transaction go through ATM lines that don't always go straight from the POS to the bank's server. Independent ATMs, while using an ATM line for communication travel through other networks and servers before hitting the card owners institutions server. Let alone when you make a debit or credit transaction the hoops that the transaction goes through before it arrives at its final destination.
    03-19-11 04:20 PM
    There's something disconcerting about giving that much control to a company other than my banking institution. Then again, how much faith can you put into banks here in the US anymore?
    I never had faith in US banks,

Luckily I'm Canadian and we have one of the best banking systems in the world, EXCEPT we pay a stupid amount of fees to have such a strong banking system.

and really the number of hands my money has to go through, I would have much more faith JUST having my Bank and RIM touch my money, not the upto 6 "changes" of hands the current Debit system can face.
    03-19-11 05:44 PM
    That system would be useless in Canada where there are large geographical portions of the country where there is limited/no cell service indoors, and minimal out doors.

I would Rather the data stored in a secured location on my device over my SIM, I trust RIM with security slightly more than I do my Carrier, though even that is limited.

I would like to see a bit of a hybrid system in place between ON device storage and the Remote data storage you speak of Civic, Make the Ondevice data storage be like a prepaid credit card? that without wireless access you are limited to X amount of dollars until recharged, when connected you can authorize larger payments using a Passcode.
    If your phone breaks you're done, at least for the immediate future.

If it's on the SIM and your phone breaks, you can take the SIM out and put it in something like a Nexus S and be on your merry way.

Also, when it comes time to upgrade your phone to a non-blackberry smartphone having it on the SIM will be more seamless. I'm sure RIM will do something to make it as difficult as possible, if not impossible, to port that data to non-blackberry smartphones - they always do.

That is what the carrier beef is mostly about.

It's just another way to lock users into blackberry smartphones, and carriers sell ALL types of smartphones. Since RIM's smartphones are pretty bad and do not advance at any decent rate, there is much less incentive for BB users to upgrade or buy new phones than Andorid/iOS or even WP7/WebOS users right now...
    03-20-11 01:32 AM
    Whether you prefer it or not it will be the future. Look at Japan, they have it implemented quite strongly already. You can pay with your phone at vending machines and many many other places for example. In the future it will become second nature for us. Just where things are going.
    They also implemented some of the best Earthquake/Tsunami warning systems and some really good Nuclear reactors.

The fact that some countries are really keen on using them doesn't really say much.

Japan is culturally much different than the US. In Japan if you drop your wallet 75% of the time the finder will return everything to you. In the US if you drop your wallet, your CC and Bank Account will be maxed out unless you're quick on freezing all of that stuff.

I've never used NFC and don't really know exactly how it works chiefly because I have no plans to use anything like that in the forseeable future (even if it's implemented and my phone has those capabilities).

If I have a phone, I have a wallet and plastic. I don't want/need a phone to make purchases, and I certainly don't want to be dependent on a cell signal to do so.
    03-20-11 01:35 AM
    If your phone breaks you're done, at least for the immediate future.

If it's on the SIM and your phone breaks, you can take the SIM out and put it in something like a Nexus S and be on your merry way.
    Sims are not indestructible either and tying anything beyond carrier billing to one would be just as daft as tying it to one specific device, any realistic system has to be both device and carrier agnostic.
    03-20-11 06:18 AM
    Sims are not indestructible either and tying anything beyond carrier billing to one would be just as daft as tying it to one specific device, any realistic system has to be both device and carrier agnostic.

Don't take the bait my friend, read the tone of the post.
    03-20-11 07:38 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD