10-15-13 06:34 PM
70 123
tools
    You guys are killing me here. The creator of this game (which I have never even seen) has produced a product that people like, are willing to pay for and has found a way to monetize that. That I would think would be a good thing.

Why on Earth anyone is making a comparison to this game and BlackBerry is beyond me. The fact that the producers of Candy Crush can make money is not indicative of anything except people like the product. It has nothing to do with BlackBerry, says nothing about the position that BlackBerry is in or the "unfairness" of how BlackBerry is valued.

And one more damn thing while it is on my mind...it was that Hippity Hoppity music that signaled the downfall of society. Oh and Snooki.
    09-27-13 10:35 PM
    You guys are killing me here. The creator of this game (which I have never even seen) has produced a product that people like, are willing to pay for and has found a way to monetize that. That I would think would be a good thing.

Why on Earth anyone is making a comparison to this game and BlackBerry is beyond me. The fact that the producers of Candy Crush can make money is not indicative of anything except people like the product. It has nothing to do with BlackBerry, says nothing about the position that BlackBerry is in or the "unfairness" of how BlackBerry is valued.

And one more damn thing while it is on my mind...it was that Hippity Hoppity music that signaled the downfall of society. Oh and Snooki.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-27-13 10:38 PM
    Just wondering if anyone actually read this post... BTW Farmville has been on iOS for quite some time...

Oh and yes we play candy crush on our BB10 devices... wouldn't be the first time a company was well overvalued.
    09-27-13 10:39 PM
    I love you guys. I laughed soooo hard reading this

Posted by my Zed running 10.2.0.1047 via CB10
    09-27-13 10:43 PM
    People want to know why Candy Crush is worth so much? True Story. Vacation time with my family this summer. Went to a beautiful Cottage in Northern Ontario (Muskoka!). An absolutely beautiful place to be (minus the bugs but there weren't that many anyway) but while I was out fishing on the lake alone my sisters (who even talked about me taking them fishing) were playing Candy Crush. I swear. For most of that week. It is not fun going fishing alone. It is peaceful and relaxing but when you have to hold your own fish while you fumble with a camera (my Q10 actually yikes) on a boat in the middle of a lake it sucks. Only one sister has an iPhone the other a 9900 and when one wasn't playing the other was and when they both had nothing to do they watched each other. Whatever, I went fishing and caught some good fish and enjoyed the wildlife. Perhaps not having Candy Crush was a good thing for me. Well I could have sideloaded it, but if I had done that earlier this year would I have been out on that boat fishing? I hope so. That isn't like me at all. For the record I was very careful with my Q10 on a boat but I didn't have a camera and I didn't want to come back with fishermans tales. The kicker of this whole story? My sisters are 31 and 35. The oldest is in PR and the other is a school teacher. They aren't kids. I wonder what they told their coworkers they did all week.
    09-27-13 11:11 PM

Hippity Hoppity music is also responsible for Global Warning.
    09-28-13 01:57 AM
    Candy Crush's allure puzzles me.
    09-28-13 01:58 AM
    People want to know why Candy Crush is worth so much? True Story. Vacation time with my family this summer. Went to a beautiful Cottage in Northern Ontario (Muskoka!). An absolutely beautiful place to be (minus the bugs but there weren't that many anyway) but while I was out fishing on the lake alone my sisters (who even talked about me taking them fishing) were playing Candy Crush. I swear. For most of that week. It is not fun going fishing alone. It is peaceful and relaxing but when you have to hold your own fish while you fumble with a camera (my Q10 actually yikes) on a boat in the middle of a lake it sucks. Only one sister has an iPhone the other a 9900 and when one wasn't playing the other was and when they both had nothing to do they watched each other. Whatever, I went fishing and caught some good fish and enjoyed the wildlife. Perhaps not having Candy Crush was a good thing for me. Well I could have sideloaded it, but if I had done that earlier this year would I have been out on that boat fishing? I hope so. That isn't like me at all. For the record I was very careful with my Q10 on a boat but I didn't have a camera and I didn't want to come back with fishermans tales. The kicker of this whole story? My sisters are 31 and 35. The oldest is in PR and the other is a school teacher. They aren't kids. I wonder what they told their coworkers they did all week.
    Honestly didn't know what to except when I started reading this post, twas a good read, props.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-28-13 02:01 AM
    Maybe i should be a dev. I'll be set for life once it goes viral /:
    09-28-13 02:17 AM
    Oh my god. Candy Crush is valued at 5 billion. A stupid time wasting video game is valued more than BBRY. What the frik?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Candy Crush is not valued at $5bn.the company that developed the game is valued at that. Seems reading is another thing you consider a 'time wasting' venture, eh?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
    m1a1mg and 21stNow like this.
    09-28-13 03:33 AM
    Poor blackberry

Candy Crush maker valued at  Billion in IPO-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 03:35 AM
    Interesting. You are making fun of Zynga (a purely gaming company) for having a market cap of around $3 billion while BBRY currently has a cap of around $4.2 billion (down from over $80 billion.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    No, I was tangentially pointing out the human race is morons who keep feeding funds into video games instead of their savings accounts and eventually, they move on to whatever else is the next best thing but thanks for trying to turn it into something it totally was not. I thoroughly enjoyed that one. Also applicable: This comment and this one.

You may have missed it (though I can't really blame you, it was a lazy post with pretty much no context) but I take solace in knowing others felt the same way lol. To close it out, I pretty much don't care what BBRY, King or Zynga are valued at.. I don't any stock nor am I employed by any of them. I did play Candy Crush a few times though, so I suppose it's good their valuation is high.. maybe that means they'll make Candy Crush 2?

Gee, golly wizz.. I hope so.

Uzi likes this.
    09-28-13 05:02 AM
    This is a clear indication of how developers doesn't need BlackBerry or Windows. They are doing just fine with the big two.
    Candy Crush is even available on FaceBook and the game must be addictive given the number of people wasting time...I mean playing...the game.
    09-28-13 09:35 AM
    Don't we have just an example of the pertinence for companies like BBM to create a game team section?
    I know you don't always invent a best seller like Plant vs Zombies, Candy Crush or Farmville but with only the tenth of their success you'd already get a huge benefit from your own company game section!
    Not to mention you could fill up the gap without depending on others game makers.
    Same for Instagram, Blackberry should be able to write an app similar to the official one.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:58 AM
    Oh my god. Candy Crush is valued at 5 billion. A stupid time wasting video game is valued more than BBRY. What the frik?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    They make 9 million profit a day from Candy Crush.
    09-28-13 12:04 PM
    They make 9 million profit a day from Candy Crush.
    Where did you get that number? And if it's true, i'm saddened by the state of humanity.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:35 PM
    And it will be worth nothing in the same short amount of time again ...

Posted via CB10
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    09-28-13 12:38 PM
    Even though I still think CC is overvalued and will drop in quick time (especially if/when sold) this is an awesome post. No iPhones in this example, wife started playing the game in CM9 on her TouchPad, once we got the Zeds I got hooked once we sideloaded, etc. Got a buddy at work probably 10 years old than us and he plays it... So far other than my mom and a handful of friends, nobody plays on Android or iPhone, most is FB... professionals, IT folks, educators... everybody is close to or well over 30 years old.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-28-13 06:42 PM

I think that people are willing to pay money for digital candy shows that we don't have much of a future. I've read reports of people spending 300 or 400 in a month on the game, and one person spending over $2000

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:16 PM
    And it will be worth nothing in the same short amount of time again ...

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't matter, the company can sell now for $5 b

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:17 PM
    I think that people are willing to pay money for digital candy shows that we don't have much of a future. I've read reports of people spending 300 or 400 in a month on the game, and one person spending over $2000

Posted via CB10
    That's absolutely ridiculous...not your post the statistics in it is what I mean.
    And I agree with you about a bleak future for us.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:17 PM
    Yeah, whatever. You know what else is true? Every decade or so people look at what is popular, fashionable, en vogue at the time and in over-romanticizing their past see the DEATH of society.

By now society should have collapsed under the weight of flying machines, horseless carriages, color television, talking movies, Rock and Roll, Jazz, dancing, smokeless candles, no bake pie, twice baked potatoes, the Designated Hitter rule, mini skirts, reality tv, disposable flatware, permanent press, and on and on and on.

Can we Puh-leeezze be a little less hyperbolic about the societal implications of a friggin game
    09-28-13 08:07 PM
    Yeah, whatever. You know what else is true? Every decade or so people look at what is popular, fashionable, en vogue at the time and in over-romanticizing their past see the DEATH of society.

By now society should have collapsed under the weight of flying machines, horseless carriages, color television, talking movies, Rock and Roll, Jazz, dancing, smokeless candles, no bake pie, twice baked potatoes, the Designated Hitter rule, mini skirts, reality tv, disposable flatware, permanent press, and on and on and on.

Can we Puh-leeezze be a little less hyperbolic about the societal implications of a friggin game
    So you are comparing a bunch of tangible things (like them or not) to a fake virtual candy?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 08:10 PM
    So you are comparing a bunch of tangible things (like them or not) to a fake virtual candy?
    Because there is, to my mind, no way this could possibly be a serious question I am just going to treat it as rhetorical.
    richardat likes this.
    09-28-13 08:24 PM
    Because there is, to my mind, no way this could possibly be a serious question I am just going to treat it as rhetorical.
    Why because you realize how ridiculous that comparison is?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 08:26 PM
70 123