If you have no idea whats going on with Fairfaxs plan to buy out BlackBerry, dont worry prospective investors seem in the dark as well. Leo de Bever, the CEO of Canadian pension fund Alberta Investment Management Corporation, tells Bloomberg that hed consider putting some money into BlackBerry if he had any understanding of how Fairfaxs plan was supposed to work.

Its the most bizarre sales process Ive seen in a long time, he said. Were looking at it but nobodys come to us with a proposal that makes any sense.

In particular de Bever said that his firm has had a difficult time really evaluating BlackBerrys value on an asset-by-asset basis and that Fairfax hasnt really shown it has a strong plan to convince investors to sign on.

Usually somebody comes to you and says this is what we have in mind, weve got an operational partner for this, this is how were going to deal with this asset and that constraint and this possibility, de Bever said. Theres detailed business plans. Sometimes we initiate it. On this one, its a tough nut.

In the end, de Bever sees BlackBerry being broken up and sold in pieces largely because investors dont have any idea how to really determine the worth of the entire company as a whole.

BlackBerry Faces Breakup in
    anon1727506 and kevinnugent like this.
    10-09-13 02:15 PM
    Ominous...

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 02:30 PM
    Clearly these analysts don't read CrackBerry. There are so many good ideas for how the existing BlackBerry Ltd. product and services portfolio could be recast by an energized and nimble executive... it's like absolutely NO ONE on the BlackBerry board or executive gives a damn at ALL.
    STV0726 likes this.
    10-09-13 02:37 PM
    it's like absolutely NO ONE on the BlackBerry board or executive gives a damn at ALL.
    I can give you 55 Million reasons for this!
    randall2580 and Taigatrommel like this.
    10-09-13 02:41 PM
    Clearly these analysts don't read CrackBerry. There are so many good ideas for how the existing BlackBerry Ltd. product and services portfolio could be recast by an energized and nimble executive... it's like absolutely NO ONE on the BlackBerry board or executive gives a damn at ALL.
    OMG you just made my day!
    -monkeys-laughing75pc.jpg
    10-09-13 02:44 PM
    Well mostly people here seems to think that the hardware is worth something but is indeed worthless, maybe they are right not to hang out here.
    Air Force One likes this.
    10-09-13 02:45 PM
    I've seen a lot of post saying to downsize and be either a Enterprise Only Supplier or a Software and Services Supplier.

But no number showing how either of this plans could be accomplished or figures that indicate that either would even be sustainable business models without a Mobile Platform to support them.

Enterprise customers need apps, how will they get them if developers have not seen any value in the current 60 Million BB users?
    Software and Services depends on licensing, if there is no BlackBerry Hardware and we are talking about providing services to only Android and iOS customers.... there are BETTER and CHEAPER solutions. How will BB compete?
    10-09-13 02:52 PM
    Some really interesting quotes in there:

"We’re looking at it, but nobody’s come to us with a proposal that makes any sense"

"Investors, meanwhile, have moved on to evaluating individual BlackBerry units -- a sign a breakup is increasingly likely, de Bever said."

It's really interesting...because I have to admit even though I suspected the Fairfax bid was just a ploy to put a bottom price on the shares, the continual bluster from Prem in the media made me wonder if ego/pride would actually somehow push him to make it work.

But now reading this, it sounds like Fairfax isn't even approaching investors with a plan that makes any sense...which makes you wonder how serious they really are. In reality, it sounds like nobody actually has a plan to save BlackBerry and make it work again.
    10-09-13 05:25 PM
    Maybe we should forward wout cam's writeup to Mr. deBevers....it might show him a strategy.
    10-09-13 05:44 PM
    Maybe we should forward wout cam's writeup to Mr. deBevers....it might show him a strategy.
    Obliged. haha

My write up is based on my personal views, and would be laughed at when proposing this to anyone.
    It's a basis for a complete professional writeup and financial audit but that takes time and resources and I'm not being paid to do so.
    I do believe that if and when this would ever happen I think I could make a solid case out of it to bring to the table, professionally.

The remarks of Mr De Bever clearly show that whoever is involved in the BlackBerry deal aren't taking this seriously or even worse have no clue what they're doing. I fear for the deal and think this might just have been a gauge to see who's interested or not. Seeing nobody step up, combined with Fairfax not completing the deal will give Thorsten the reason he needs to start breaking up the company. Defaulting on the deal will make all current lawsuits dissappear and is the perfect scapegoat to sell it in pieces to the highest bidders. A scenario I am dreading to see as this will surely bring with it the end of BlackBerry as we know it but unfortunately a scenario that's becoming reality at a rapid pace.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    10-10-13 03:52 AM
    Obliged. haha

My write up is based on my personal views, and would be laughed at when proposing this to anyone.
    It's a basis for a complete professional writeup and financial audit but that takes time and resources and I'm not being paid to do so.
    I do believe that if and when this would ever happen I think I could make a solid case out of it to bring to the table, professionally.

The remarks of Mr De Bever clearly show that whoever is involved in the BlackBerry deal aren't taking this seriously or even worse have no clue what they're doing. I fear for the deal and think this might just have been a gauge to see who's interested or not. Seeing nobody step up, combined with Fairfax not completing the deal will give Thorsten the reason he needs to start breaking up the company. Defaulting on the deal will make all current lawsuits dissappear and is the perfect scapegoat to sell it in pieces to the highest bidders. A scenario I am dreading to see as this will surely bring with it the end of BlackBerry as we know it but unfortunately a scenario that's becoming reality at a rapid pace.
    There is actually no "deal" at present.
    10-10-13 02:53 PM
    There is actually no "deal" at present.
    They can't even get bought without screwing it up...?

Anyone that is still holding shares in BBRY has go to be about near a nervous breakdown at this point.
    10-10-13 03:34 PM
    They can't even get bought without screwing it up...?

Anyone that is still holding shares in BBRY has go to be about near a nervous breakdown at this point.
    Does not look like the new CEO is showing much in organizational skills does it? Could Mr. Heins be a complete disaster?
    Come on Thorston get a grip on this or leave. Although it could be the board has him in a state of suspended animation at this moment in time and nobody is running the ship. Blackberry the book is going to be an interesting read when it comes out in a couple of years.
    10-11-13 08:27 AM
    BBB

New acronym for BlackBerry to trademark.

Bizarre BlackBerry - pretty much covers ever decision they have made the last five years.... very bizarre indeed!
    10-11-13 01:01 PM
    I think CrackBerry should buy BlackBerry!!!! Put Kevin and his team in charge!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 12:21 PM
    Old news...and it's not the Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

Posted via my AWESOME Z10 on CB10
    10-14-13 12:25 PM