12-04-13 10:02 PM
34 12
tools
    12-03-13 05:52 PM
    A growing number of Canadian businesses are betting against BlackBerry as they consider how to spend their future technology budgets.

From the big banks to small retailers, uncertainty about the future of the Waterloo, Ont.-based company has left some longtime customers worried, and that has forced BlackBerry to get on the defensive about its device management infrastructure.

BlackBerry'swild ride, from founding to today
    On Tuesday, BlackBerry announced the latest update to its Blackberry Enterprise Server, the security and management system that supports a swath of corporate and government clients. The company said numerous changes have been made that will "significantly reduce" costs for customers who have a large number of devices on the system.

The decision comes as BlackBerry watches a number of its prized corporate clients turn to other companies for similar device management support, after some complained about how expensive it was to use BlackBerry's services.

Big banks make the switch

Bank of Montrealand TD Bankswitched part of their smartphone management systems to a competitor earlier this year.

In the United States, even more customers have opted to completely sever ties with BlackBerry, including drug giant Pfizer Inc. and the U.S. defence department.

In a letter posted online Monday, BlackBerry's interim chief executive urged some of its largest customers to stay with the company.

"Reports of our death are greatly exaggerated," John Chen wrote.

He said the smartphone maker would return to its roots with a focus on business users.

But the move was more an attempt to stem the bleeding, rather than anticipate a problem.

At one time, corporate and government clients were the faithful and reliable backbone to BlackBerry's business model, because they would sign multi-year agreements for its enterprise services, known as BES.

Over the past year, many of those contracts have come up for renewal, and after weighing cost and the growing popularity of bring-your-own-device for employees, some clients have chosen to look elsewhere.

A number of competitors have aggressively began promoting their services as an alternative to BlackBerry, including device management companies like AirWatch LLC and a similar service called Samsung Knox.

Move across platforms

Jeff Holleran, BlackBerry's senior director of enterprise product management, said the outflow of customers was a key reason why BlackBerry decided to open its services to support iPhone and Android devices.

"For us the move to cross-platform is to bring our customers back," Holleran said.

"We do have customers coming back to us," he added.

BlackBerry declined to say which clients had returned to its services, after leaving for a competitor, citing confidentiality reasons.

Keeping track of how many companies have begun to scale back on their reliance on BlackBerry is a difficult task.

Many Canadian firms have shied away from confirming whether they've switched to a competitor, mostly because they're concerned about a backlash from consumers.

Earlier this fall when Rogers Communications decided to forego selling the BlackBerry Z30 it faced a barrage of complaints on social media for abandoning BlackBerry in its most desperate moments. The telecom company quickly relented and sold the phone online.

A statement from BMO spokesman Ralph Marranca said the bank "will continue to use BlackBerry enterprise server for Blackberry devices and AirWatch technology for non-BlackBerry devices."

A TD Bank spokesman declined to confirm whether it has stopped using BlackBerry management services, though sources familiar with the bank said it has moved non-BlackBerry devices onto a competitor's service.

However, BlackBerry has also managed to secure new agreements with many of its large corporate clients, including most recently German companies Mitsubishi Motors Deutschland, manufacturing giant Grohe AG and sugar producer Sudzucker AG in November.

BlackBerry shares were down two cents to $6.78 in morning trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Related Stories

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:55 PM
    Yay...

It is insane how stupid some companies (and people) can be. Instead of doing whatever the media tells you to, you should look at the actual device/company to see what the advantages/disadvantages are.
    Last edited by Nharzhool; 12-03-13 at 07:31 PM.
    12-03-13 05:56 PM
    My favourite part... the comments on the article.
    12-03-13 06:05 PM
    BMO hasn't actually implemented iPhones. Still exploring it. BYOD is a joke. Why would an employee pay for the device and all operating costs just to check your work email. And if you are terminated, the entire device is remotely wiped clean.

The alternative is getting a free company issued BB10. What do you think 99.9% of the employees that currently use BB7/6 are going to go with?

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1055
    12-03-13 06:06 PM
    BMO hasn't actually implemented iPhones. Still exploring it. BYOD is a joke. Why would an employee pay for the device and all operating costs just to check your work email. And if you are terminated, the entire device is remotely wiped clean.

The alternative is getting a free company issued BB10. What do you think 99.9% of the employees that currently use BB7/6 are going to go with?

BYOD. People are starting not to want to carry two devices. Especially a BB07 device. Big corps have the devices so locked down its basically a email device. No apps, no BBM, so why bother.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    12-03-13 06:36 PM
    So Canada does hate bb?

Vindication
    JeepBB, Saiga, m1a1mg and 1 others like this.
    12-03-13 07:06 PM
    So Canada does hate bb?

Vindication
    Only cause the American media told us to first.
    12-03-13 07:08 PM
    Look up "The Canadian Press" previously non profit cooperative. Then decide who hates BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 07:17 PM
    Don't follow us, we do dumb sh/t all the time.

In the spirit of the holidays, I think we should blame the Christmas Islanders. BlackBerry market share there isn't even a blip on the radar.
    12-03-13 07:23 PM
    BYOD. People are starting not to want to carry two devices. Especially a BB07 device. Big corps have the devices so locked down its basically a email device. No apps, no BBM, so why bother.
    Probably depends on the Corp. I work for a bank. I have bbm, app world, and I can bluetooth to a my car or playbook.

People will continue to carry two devices. If they get hit with long distance and excess data charges, it's sure going to burn you if you have to pay out of pocket. And upon termination, the entire iPhone device is remotely wiped clean...which isn't a problem if you are resigning. But if you are fired, that device is wiped out before you find out that you are canned.

I'm happy carrying a Z30 for personal use and my employer issued BlackBerry for work use.

12-03-13 07:34 PM
    12-03-13 08:02 PM
    I hate the CBC, a tax dollar sucking entity that would have been bankrupt decades ago if it was privy to competition and not government protectionism.
    12-03-13 08:42 PM
    The CBC sucks so hard wish it was cut in the budget. All they do is report on twitter deeds and toronto.centric stories.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 12:24 AM
    Piece of **** media....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-04-13 01:14 AM
    Don't follow us, we do dumb sh/t all the time.

In the spirit of the holidays, I think we should blame the Christmas Islanders. BlackBerry market share there isn't even a blip on the radar.
    Christmas Island is part of Australian territory. So it'd be included in the 1.3% market share.

Actually it's a interesting place. There's about 2,000 people live there. Mostly staff and families of the big Australian Detention Centre that processes illegal immigrants to Australia from the Middle East and Europe. There's also a fair contingent of Canadian BB07 users who refuse to stay in a BB10 Canada and have opted to sail here on rickety boats. Sad really.
    12-04-13 02:54 AM
    Probably depends on the Corp. I work for a bank. I have bbm, app world, and I can bluetooth to a my car or playbook.

People will continue to carry two devices. If they get hit with long distance and excess data charges, it's sure going to burn you if you have to pay out of pocket. And upon termination, the entire iPhone device is remotely wiped clean...which isn't a problem if you are resigning. But if you are fired, that device is wiped out before you find out that you are canned.

I'm happy carrying a Z30 for personal use and my employer issued BlackBerry for work use.

Like you said, it depends on the Corp. Whether the BYOD device gets wiped depends on the Corp and what method they use to give the end user corporate email.

The fact that you are happy carrying two devices is irrelevant in regard to the trend for the enduser to consolidate.

Things like this will only strengthen BYOD:
    Three UK offers free data, text and calls while roaming in the USA
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-04-13 at 04:07 AM.
    12-04-13 03:26 AM
    Wow. The American media is powerful. Maybe the US is the world. /s
    h20work and kbz1960 like this.
    12-04-13 03:37 AM
    Wow. The American media is powerful. Maybe the US is the world. /s
    You...know I was joking, right?

Yeah...you probably do.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    12-04-13 06:19 AM
    I can't understand why someone would want BYOD and tie your personal phone number to work.

Edit: My opinion has been formed from never owning a work device, btw

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 06:27 AM
    I can't understand why someone would want BYOD and tie your personal phone number to work.

Edit: My opinion has been formed from never owning a work device, btw

Posted via CB10
    When you are in sales, BYOD is ideal. Your clients will follow you even if you leave for a competitor

CB10'n it via da Z
    cgk, h20work and ColdStoneGuards like this.
    12-04-13 06:39 AM
    When you are in sales, BYOD is ideal. Your clients will follow you even if you leave for a competitor

CB10'n it via da Z
    Same in consultancy/academia - you don't want to give the customer/client a number the company can cut off...
    12-04-13 07:44 AM

CB10'n it via da Z
    Conversely, if you are manager, you don't want your terminated salesperson trying to take business away to their new employer.

LinkedIn is useful for that so people can track you down if they really want to deal with you.

Why would I pay with personal after-tax dollars to help generate taxable income to myself. That's a pretty expensive phone you have there!

12-04-13 08:19 AM
    Conversely, if you are manager, you don't want your terminated salesperson trying to take business away to their new employer.

LinkedIn is useful for that so people can track you down if they really want to deal with you.

Why would I pay with personal after-tax dollars to help generate taxable income to myself. That's a pretty expensive phone you have there!

agree from a managerial point of view, BYOD makes little sense (which is why I'm stunned companies do it for sales based positions....but hey, what the heck). Especially when you consider many companies that are BYOD, provide a monthly allowance for the device and services anyway for people in a Sales position. Its like a double kick in the nutz to the employer IMO. Personally I love BYOD, because I have one device and I have one number I have used for years and years that has followed me around. Everyone knows where to get a hold of me regardless if they know I am in the same position or moved on. I hate hate hate rocking multiple devices.

As for your taxable vs non taxable, I really am not sure what you are getting at there. Devices are not generally taxable, they are considered in many cases refundable expence and tax dollars don't figure into it. Many allowances for BYOD are provided via monthly expense reports (which are not subject to tax), and non sales or non-managerial positions typically don't get an allownance at all and are given an option if they want to connect to the companies servers. In which case it's no skin off anyones back. connect if you want, don't if you don't. I had a company issued device once (I wrote in an agreement to allow me to port my number to it, and the caviet that I get to port it back should I leave or be terminated) and I was never taxed on it either. So as far as I know, tax does not figure into any situation when it comes to devices for employees.

Not sure what the Linkedin point is either, of course people can get a hold of you there (if they use it), it just makes for one more roadblock thou should somone try to get a hold of you thou. How is that connected to the fact that if your BYOD, your number follows with you anyway? I was only providing a flip side point to ColdStoneGuard as to why you would want BYOD and would want to connect your device to the company servers. I personally prefer BYOD for the simple reason I have one number, one device, never changes and it follows me everywhere.
    h20work likes this.
    12-04-13 08:42 AM
    agree from a managerial point of view, BYOD makes little sense (which is why I'm stunned companies do it for sales based positions....but hey, what the heck).

As for your taxable vs non taxable, I really am not sure what you are getting at there. Devices are not generally taxable, they are considered in many cases refundable expence and tax dollars don't figure into it. Many allowances for BYOD are provided via monthly expense reports (which are not subject to tax), and non sales or non-managerial positions typically don't get an allownance at all and are given an option if they want to connect to the companies servers. In which case it's no skin off anyones back. connect if you want, don't if you don't.

Not sure what the Linkedin point is either, of course people can get a hold of you there (if they use it), it just makes for one more roadblock thou should somone try to get a hold of you thou. How is that connected to the fact that if your BYOD, your number follows with you anyway? .
    LinkedIn reference was only to show other ways you could be tracked down, so the need for your own number to move from employer to employer is not really necessary.

The taxable comment was in reference to the fact that at least 1 of the 2 banks mentioned in that article will NOT provide allowance or cover the cost of the phone. I know of another bank not mentioned in the article that also doesn't pay or offer allowances for BYOD. So, my comment was relevant to those BYOD policies. So as an example: I get paid $2.00. At a 50% tax rate, leaves me with $1 of after tax income. I use that $1 to buy my phone. I cannot deduct or get credit because there are no clear taxation rules for BYOD by CRA (our version of the IRS) on how much is business or personal use. I use that phone to help me generate new income which is then taxable. That's expensive to the employee.

Alternatively, I get a free company issued device. I don't pay for it at all. Simple.

In this example, with the bank's current BYOD policy, there is no financial motivation for the employee to BYOD, but a lot of motivation for the bank/employer to encourage employees to do it.

12-04-13 09:11 AM
34 12