This is very good news for Canadians
    The government needs to keep going with these new wireless laws....
    Customers of smaller wireless carriers such as Wind will soon no longer be charged huge premiums when they travel within Canada and roam on the networks of bigger carriers, the federal government has announced.

Industry Minister James Moore said Wednesday that "in the coming weeks," the federal government plans to ban wireless providers from charging more for services to customers of carriers other than their own.
    "The roaming rates that Canada's largest wireless companies are charging other domestic providers can be more than 10 times what they charge their own customers," Moore said in a statement.

"For too long, Canadian consumers in the wireless sector have been the victims of these high roaming costs."

The new caps on domestic roaming rates for voice, data and text services will be introduced as an amendment to the Telecommunications Act.

Moore announced that the government will also be making amendments to the act that would allow the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), which regulates the wireless industry, to fine companies that violate rules such as the new Wireless Code, which governs wireless customer contracts.

Fines could also be imposed for violations of rules related to the deployment of wireless spectrum, services to rural areas, and the sharing of cellphone towers.

Domestic wireless roaming fees to be capped - Technology & Science - CBC News
    12-18-13 09:25 AM
    Roaming fees or not, WIND has absolutely brutal coverage for me as a consumer. Besides, I struck a deal with Rogers and am getting unlimited Canada talk and text + international texts + 2 cents/min US calling + 1GB of data (sufficient for me) + extras for $65 after taxes. It may not be as low as $45 for unlimited everything after taxes, but for $20 more, the coverage is worth it.
    12-18-13 09:58 AM
    I wonder when they will start regulating the cost of ferraris in Canada, I want one so bad but it's not fair that I can buy other cars for a fraction of the cost!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 10:14 AM
    I wonder when they will start regulating the cost of ferraris in Canada, I want one so bad but it's not fair that I can buy other cars for a fraction of the cost!

Posted via CB10
    And houses!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 01:43 PM
    I'm a Canadian living in Australia. There are no domestic roaming charges ever. There are no long distance charges ever. You don?t get charged for incoming calls. Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, but when it comes mobile services it's miles ahead of Canada.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:34 PM
    I'm a Canadian living in Australia. There are no domestic roaming charges ever. There are no long distance charges ever. You don?t get charged for incoming calls. Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, but when it comes mobile services it's miles ahead of Canada.

Posted via CB10
    That's because of the monopoly of the big 3. Without those assholes, we'd have great plans in Canada. However, the big 3 have brought one of the better LTE experiences in terms of speed to the metropolitan areas.
    12-18-13 02:39 PM
    That's because of the monopoly of the big 3. Without those assholes, we'd have great plans in Canada. However, the big 3 have brought one of the better LTE experiences in terms of speed to the metropolitan areas.
    We have a big 3 monopoly in Australia as well. Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone. And really Vodafone is more of a bit player. Telstra and Optus control most of the market.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:45 PM
    Thank god for wind mobile.....my bill has cut almost in half

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 04:32 PM
    Thank god for wind mobile.....my bill has cut almost in half

Posted via CB10
    Yea I'm a BIG fan of the government trying to break the monopoly. Canada has some of the highest cellphone plans in the world.

When I was with Telus my bill was min $129 /month with it often being over $400! Now my bill is always $56 /month

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-18-13 08:40 PM
    I really don't get why people keep claiming that we have the highest bills in the developed world! My plan is $45 a month, 1gb of data, 400mins, unlimited everything else, etc.

And im not with wind! Compare that to what Americans spend on Verizon or at&t plans!

If you have a $400 bill really you likely didn't have the right plan at the time for your uses.

The governments plan has only ended up annoying me because they have mandated this two year limit and allowed the companies to increase their billings! Government interfered and the phone companies punished us.

Thanks government intervention.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:41 AM
    I really don't get why people keep claiming that we have the highest bills in the developed world! My plan is $45 a month, 1gb of data, 400mins, unlimited everything else, etc.

And im not with wind! Compare that to what Americans spend on Verizon or at&t plans!

If you have a $400 bill really you likely didn't have the right plan at the time for your uses.

The governments plan has only ended up annoying me because they have mandated this two year limit and allowed the companies to increase their billings! Government interfered and the phone companies punished us.

Posted via CB10
    Believe me when I say I hunted around. Due to the nature of my job, I'm often hundreds of miles away from my home city. That coupled with 2-3 thousand minutes a month, makes for expensive Bills. The ONLY thing that was better with my old plan was my US LD minutes. I had 200 free every month. Yes you can get a different SIM card whenever you go the States, but that would mean a different phone # & of course the annoyance of getting the card ect.

Besides, I never said I was the one paying those $400 phone bills
    I used my phone for work, so work paid the bill.
    12-19-13 09:25 AM
    [QUOTE=BoldPreza;9729109]I really don't get why people keep claiming that we have the highest bills in the developed world! My plan is $45 a month, 1gb of data, 400mins, unlimited everything else, etc.

And im not with wind! Compare that to what Americans spend on Verizon or at&t plans

Like I say thank god for wind!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    At least there's one smart guy in the room

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 10:10 AM
    Roaming fees or not, WIND has absolutely brutal coverage for me as a consumer. Besides, I struck a deal with Rogers and am getting unlimited Canada talk and text + international texts + 2 cents/min US calling + 1GB of data (sufficient for me) + extras for $65 after taxes. It may not be as low as $45 for unlimited everything after taxes, but for $20 more, the coverage is worth it.
    My gf pays half of what I do, she's on wind and I'm on bell... but she gets almost no coverage in her own house.

I'm paying $75 including tax for 300 minutes and unlimited 10 numbers ( i only really call about 6 or 7 ppl) plus 6gb data.

So, I basically get top coverage and unlimited everything for double the price of winds unlimited bundle with horrible coverage.

The problem with that is that wind doesn't need to fix their coverage because people are ok with getting half decent coverage for half the price. This is ONLY bc bell/rogers are so expensive. If they were reasonable then winds coverage would be a problem, but right now I would consider wind if I could save $40 a month... again, that's only bc bell/rogers are so Damn high

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 10:57 AM
    My gf pays half of what I do, she's on wind and I'm on bell... but she gets almost no coverage in her own house.

I'm paying $75 including tax for 300 minutes and unlimited 10 numbers ( i only really call about 6 or 7 ppl) plus 6gb data.

So, I basically get top coverage and unlimited everything for double the price of winds unlimited bundle with horrible coverage.

The problem with that is that wind doesn't need to fix their coverage because people are ok with getting half decent coverage for half the price. This is ONLY bc bell/rogers are so expensive. If they were reasonable then winds coverage would be a problem, but right now I would consider wind if I could save $40 a month... again, that's only bc bell/rogers are so Damn high

Posted via CB10
    Never had a problem with wind where I am......and no problem using it at work either.....

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:02 AM
    [QUOTE=jedi365;9729644]

And im not with wind! Compare that to what Americans spend on Verizon or at&t plans

Posted via CB10
    In France, for 19,99? (less than 30CDN, tax included), you can get unlimitted domestic calls (cell and landline), unlimitted on many worldwide landlines and N.A cells, unlimitted texts, 20gb of fair use on LTE.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 04:47 PM
    [QUOTE=jedi365;9729644]

Posted via CB10
    Why would I say thank god wind? I'm on Virgin! A Bell subsidiary. I have a full network not one that tried to charge me for roaming in the bathroom of my house!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:39 AM
    [QUOTE=cyrilfournier;9731382]

In France, for 19,99? (less than 30CDN, tax included), you can get unlimitted domestic calls (cell and landline), unlimitted on many worldwide landlines and N.A cells, unlimitted texts, 20gb of fair use on LTE.

Posted via CB10
    20gb!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:40 AM
    [QUOTE=BoldPreza;9734201]

Why would I say thank god wind? I'm on Virgin! A Bell subsidiary. I have a full network not one that tried to charge me for roaming in the bathroom of my house!

Posted via CB10
    I get excellent coverage.......actually just checked with the two other wind users in the house they have no problem at all.....the teenager is loving it as we no longer argue over her bill.....the charge for roaming in the bathroom was quite funny though

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:59 AM
    The major players are not competing with each other.....

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:02 AM
    [QUOTE=jedi365;9734304]

I get excellent coverage.......actually just checked with the two other wind users in the house they have no problem at all.....the teenager is loving it as we no longer argue over her bill.....the charge for roaming in the bathroom was quite funny though

Posted via CB10
    Lol I didn't have that issue bit my buddy did. It's not like he lives in the boonies in fact he is very close to downtown but lol for some reason no service in his bathroom.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:15 AM
    The major players are not competing with each other.....

Posted via CB10
    No you're right when it comes to wireless they are quite cordial.

TV and Internet though they are clawing at each other!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:17 AM