11-09-13 12:47 PM
49 12
tools
    Threads like these wouldn't be so bad if they were just asking a simple question. Inevitably, they always involve a half-baked comparison to BBRY leading to some scapegoating/condemnation of the US government, media, the financial industry, shorts etc.
    11-08-13 01:42 PM
    How can a"social media"site that depends on electricity be worth so much

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 01:42 PM
    I guess this is the question to ask. How many people are on Twitter but never use it ? 651 Million according to this story:
    Twitter's 'Dark Pool': IPO Doesn't Mention 651 Million Users Who Abandoned Twitter - seattlepi.com

I wonder how many pins on BBM are "dark" Its an interesting article.
    11-08-13 02:02 PM
    The price is set by the banks/brokers thru a RFQ. And the bank set the price according to demand. They call their large institutional customers to test their interest and there you go.
    Now, ppl see in twitter the potential of making big profit. Again, the cost are low compared to a manufacturer and the revenues are not limited by capacity or such. But I agree, it's way to high. Most ipo are valued at 15x the expected revenues for the coming 12 months....
    11-08-13 02:12 PM
    Bbm is probably vastly undervalued right now. Roughly 100 million users. I believe twitter is around 350 mill? Not quit sure, but at the rate bbm is growing it should reflect in the stock price at some point, but the stock market is rarely rational lol

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    THIS. BBM is BlackBerry's canary in a coal mine, and will flat out save BlackBerry, IF BlackBerry properly leverages it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 02:22 PM
    Perfect product. No inventory
    Said Tom...

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:12 PM
    cnet.com/news/twitter-tripped-up-on-second-day-of-trading/57611568

Twitter took flight Thursday in an impressive initial public offering that valued the company at $24.48 billion. Friday, the company's wings were clipped a bit as shares fell more than 7 percent.

Seven-year-old Twitter's IPO could be characterized by its anti-Facebook qualities. The smaller social network priced its shares at $26 apiece, opened with a healthy 73 percent pop at $45.10, then closed the day at $44.95. Clearly, investors were willing to give Twitter a pass on its money-losing business.

But Wall Street types, as usual, proved to be a fickle bunch. Though Twitter opened at $45.93 Friday, shares went in the opposite direction for most of the day. The company closed its second day of trading at $41.65, giving it a slightly more humble market value of $22.69 billion.

If Twitter is to soar on the public market, the company will eventually need to turn a profit from the attention of its 232 million active users. In the first nine months of 2013, Twitter lost $134 million on $422.2 million in revenue. Still, the company's proximity to all things live, particularly television, and its still-in-development advertising business have many willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:33 PM
    11-08-13 03:35 PM
    Ok.....this is a very good question. Twitter is the site I use most. Check Facebook maybe twice a day and now BBM maybe once but Twitter I am near constantly on. Never saw or clicked an ad and have never paid for anything I have ever done there. So unless I see ads and click or pay for a certain service exactly how are they making money from me?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:09 PM
    What, if anything does this thread have to do with BlackBerry?

Getting tired of all the static one must wade through anymore around here.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    11-08-13 04:14 PM

Getting tired of all the static one must wade through anymore around here.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    Question I asked was why is it that a company that has made no profit since it started seven years ago was able to raise 30 billion dollars in its IPO debute yet blackberry is unable to raise a red cent to save itself.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:28 PM
    Ok.....this is a very good question. Twitter is the site I use most. Check Facebook maybe twice a day and now BBM maybe once but Twitter I am near constantly on. Never saw or clicked an ad and have never paid for anything I have ever done there. So unless I see ads and click or pay for a certain service exactly how are they making money from me?

Posted via CB10
    They aren't lol, and haven't been able to make their business model work for over seven years. Sure they are posting "revenue" but are losing a boat load of cash each quarter.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 04:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    People used to ask the same question about Google. It's all a matter of time.
    11-08-13 05:55 PM
    People used to ask the same question about Google. It's all a matter of time.
    Very true. I remember hearing valuation outrage at the IPO.
    11-08-13 06:45 PM
    Now at $1000 a share, that's just a distant memory
    11-08-13 06:52 PM
    Remember that? $100/share, are you kidding me? how is a free search engine worth $100 a share!
    11-08-13 06:56 PM
    Remember that? $100/share, are you kidding me? how is a free search engine worth $100 a share!
    Ads and data mining. Pretty obvious.

My guess is that BBM Channels will be like Twitter. They'll find a way to get revenue out of it by charging for branding.
    11-09-13 07:05 AM
    It's somewhat relevant because BBM could be spun off into its own private company within in the next two years, then have its own IPO in the next 3-7.
    11-09-13 07:41 AM
    I guess this is the question to ask. How many people are on Twitter but never use it ? 651 Million according to this story:
    Twitter's 'Dark Pool': IPO Doesn't Mention 651 Million Users Who Abandoned Twitter - seattlepi.com

I wonder how many pins on BBM are "dark" Its an interesting article.
    I think that's why BB has only announced it's active BBM users. I was a little confused when they had 76 million subs, yet only 60 million BBM'ers and then listened to the wording again. Also, at the last statement about downloads of the BBMX, they stated that they would only be discussing active users from here on out as opposed to downloads.
    11-09-13 08:28 AM
    BBRY should set aside a banner space at the top for BBM and rotate all their advertisers there

They could probably earn $500 million a year doing that
    11-09-13 09:40 AM
    BBRY should set aside a banner space at the top for BBM and rotate all their advertisers there

They could probably earn $500 million a year doing that
    Absolutely not. I've deleted some apps due to that little advert bar they have. It's annoying and takes away from the experience. Channels is where they will be getting revenue.... that is if it can become successfully adopted by users.
    11-09-13 09:46 AM
    Ads and data mining. Pretty obvious.

My guess is that BBM Channels will be like Twitter. They'll find a way to get revenue out of it by charging for branding.
    Sure, but you had a lot of people screaming that it was ridiculous. Just as some are saying the same now about twitter, which is clearly one of the stickiest, most popular services on the internet.
    11-09-13 10:01 AM
    How a company that produces no products and has made zero profits to date with its business model was able to raise over 30 billion in its IPO (yes I'm talking about you Twitter! ) yet BlackBerry can't seem to raise a red cent to save it's a..?

Posted via CB10
    Nope.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 11:36 AM
    I have a friend who bought into Google a few days after the IPO. He's now retired and travels the world.
    11-09-13 12:47 PM
49 12