02-23-15 06:53 AM
67 123
tools
    It's true that you have to start somewhere but it seems a little late in the game to be launching a Smartphone platform. Unseating or significantly reducing the market share of Android may be possible but currently the only company with any chance of doing that is Microsoft and only because they dominate the desktop market.

Tizen is not only a smartphone platform. The OS will be shipped in smart TVs, cars, appliances, wearables, tablets, cameras and other devices. Hundreds of millions of Tizen devices could attract developers. For example, game engines like Unity are needed to deploy games to Tizen TV. Cooking apps make sense in a Tizen tablet embedded in a refrigerator.

Probably in few years with the proliferation of OSs and form factors, open cross-platform technologies will become more attractive to developers, and that could help the smaller OSs to survive.
    02-18-15 03:18 PM
    I don't think there has been as much pressure to make Android a better experience..... up till know Kindle was really the only outsider of note and at least Amazon created their own App Store for it (even though many have learn about Sideloading). But this year you have Firefox, Tizen, Sailfish, as well as BB10 and the non-OHA Android devices all coming into the mix. And most of these users are just as likely to pirate an app as they are to buy one and convert it. Google has to protect both their developers and their ecosystem, or face more of the "only available on iOS" type developers. Which is one reason Apple is doing so well in the business sector, the higher quality and unique Apps that are not available on Android.

I think that eventually Google is going to be forced to provide a more Apple like experience to users.... as the differences in hardware are becoming almost irrelevant.
    Apple is an irritating experience in the Enterprise. The problem is companies purchase the devices, on 2 and 3 year contracts. They are locked in and stuck with iPhones that have proven to be highly un-productive iToys. I know many that hate them, yet they are stuck with them.
    It's a major mistake buying iToys for business use. A complete joke of a product.

Posted by Q5
    02-19-15 07:58 AM
    Apple is an irritating experience in the Enterprise. The problem is companies purchase the devices, on 2 and 3 year contracts. They are locked in and stuck with iPhones that have proven to be highly un-productive iToys. I know many that hate them, yet they are stuck with them.
    It's a major mistake buying iToys for business use. A complete joke of a product.
    Many of those enterprise operations deploy "iToys" because they provide access to the applications they require (including their own). BlackBerry recognizes that and has responded by making BES the leading MDM solution on the planet.

Just curious, why specifically is Apple an "irritating experience in the Enterprise"? With nothing to back it up, that sounds like a typical BlackBerry fanboy statement.
    02-19-15 08:37 AM

Posted by Q5
    And yet companies keep buying those "iToys".... Hard to imagine that if a product was really so bad, could continue to fool people into buying it year after year. I will admit there are many things I wish iOS did... A BlackBerry is a great communications device, but most enterprise customers want much more than just phone calls and email. Your only fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

As for being stuck in contracts, well one of BlackBerry's biggest problems is the companies didn't see the need to upgrade 3 and 4+ year old BlackBerry's... which lead to a lot of "hate" among users back then. I think BBOS7 might have been "good enough" for a while, IF companies had upgraded devices sooner. The last time someone post some stats from their app on the breakdown on the BBOSs that were downloading their app.... there were still a lot of pre-BBOS7 devices out there. And THAT hurts BlackBerry.
    02-19-15 08:50 AM
    Tizen is not only a smartphone platform. The OS will be shipped in smart TVs, cars, appliances, wearables, tablets, cameras and other devices. Hundreds of millions of Tizen devices could attract developers. For example, game engines like Unity are needed to deploy games to Tizen TV. Cooking apps make sense in a Tizen tablet embedded in a refrigerator.

Probably in few years with the proliferation of OSs and form factors, open cross-platform technologies will become more attractive to developers, and that could help the smaller OSs to survive.
    Tizen smartwatches are not currently supported by Tizen smartphones.

I think Samsung should stick to hardware and leave software to the experts.
    02-19-15 10:42 AM
    Tizen smartwatches are not currently supported by Tizen smartphones.

I think Samsung should stick to hardware and leave software to the experts.
    I think Samsung has figured out that without something to differentiate them from other hardware OEM's... there isn't much profit to be made (unless you are a Chinese company).

Maybe Tizen grows in a few years to become a stand alone platform... maybe it doesn't. Unlike BlackBerry it isn't an all or nothing gamble.
    02-19-15 10:52 AM
    I think Samsung has figured out that without something to differentiate them from other hardware OEM's... there isn't much profit to be made (unless you are a Chinese company).

Maybe Tizen grows in a few years to become a stand alone platform... maybe it doesn't. Unlike BlackBerry it isn't an all or nothing gamble.
    There is an easy way for a hardware OEM to differentiate itself, make better hardware.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 02-19-15 at 07:44 PM.
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-19-15 05:50 PM
    Many of those enterprise operations deploy "iToys" because they provide access to the applications they require (including their own). BlackBerry recognizes that and has responded by making BES the leading MDM solution on the planet.

Just curious, why specifically is Apple an "irritating experience in the Enterprise"? With nothing to back it up, that sounds like a typical BlackBerry fanboy statement.
    Many industry sources within Government and the Financial district choose what devices they like to have for business use. Based on what I've seen, the majority that choose iPhones return them days after and either go with BB10 or Android. Though I admit, some have returned BB10 and Android too. It's really a mixed bag in the industry, but more lean toward not wanting to use iPhones overall.
    02-19-15 07:43 PM
    And yet companies keep buying those "iToys".... Hard to imagine that if a product was really so bad, could continue to fool people into buying it year after year. I will admit there are many things I wish iOS did... A BlackBerry is a great communications device, but most enterprise customers want much more than just phone calls and email. Your only fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

As for being stuck in contracts, well one of BlackBerry's biggest problems is the companies didn't see the need to upgrade 3 and 4+ year old BlackBerry's... which lead to a lot of "hate" among users back then. I think BBOS7 might have been "good enough" for a while, IF companies had upgraded devices sooner. The last time someone post some stats from their app on the breakdown on the BBOSs that were downloading their app.... there were still a lot of pre-BBOS7 devices out there. And THAT hurts BlackBerry.
    FYI, a BlackBerry 10 can do anything iOS can do and some. BB10 is no longer just a communications masterpiece. It's a communications and multimedia power house. iOS is just too old to compete in this industry. Even Android, yet being somewhat dated, is better than iOS. Apple will soon find itself in a downward spiral. How long do you think its clever marketing tactics can keep it afloat? Not for long based on world wide multiyear data.
    02-19-15 07:47 PM
    Many industry sources within Government and the Financial district choose what devices they like to have for business use. Based on what I've seen, the majority that choose iPhones return them days after and either go with BB10 or Android. Though I admit, some have returned BB10 and Android too. It's really a mixed bag in the industry, but more lean toward not wanting to use iPhones overall.
    What is the "financial district"? Also, if BB10 is so much more popular for "business use"', why aren't they selling more of them?
    02-19-15 07:47 PM
    What is the "financial district"? Also, if BB10 is so much more popular for "business use"', why aren't they selling more of them?
    Do we have to really get into this again? The BB10 OS is by far the best mobile OS ever designed. That is a basic fact we can all agree on. What hurt BlackBerry was its past arrogance of dominance, not making BBM available cross platform, delaying BB10 more than 18+ months, garbage marketing efforts, not making BES10 support BBOS device, releasing 2012 spec'ed smartphones (Z10/Q10/Z30) in 2013.

And to top all the massive miss-management business flaws, they put the company up for sale which sparked mass Z10 returns due to company uncertainty. That's right, Z10 Re-Turns. They produced enough Z10's to feed demand, but something went wrong. The For Sale Sign just made matters even worst.
    The list goes beyond what I've written. And its too bad, because BlackBerry and its employees are masters of technology.

Well now we have John Chen, and hopefully he can right all the wrongs with this Canadian Company.

Oh, Financial District is BANKS, $ Institutions & Consumer Electronics for example, just in case you are wondering.
    02-19-15 07:52 PM
    FYI, a BlackBerry 10 can do anything iOS can do and some. BB10 is no longer just a communications masterpiece. It's a communications and multimedia power house. iOS is just too old to compete in this industry. Even Android, yet being somewhat dated, even pawns iOS. Apple will soon find itself in a downward spiral. How long do you think its clever marketing tactics can keep it afloat? Not for long based on world wide multiyear data.
    I guess you missed Apple's last earnings announcement.

Unfortunately there are a number of things that you can't do with a BB10 device that you can with iOS such as use the full suite of Microsoft Office apps. Then there are the Banking apps, certain communication apps, HBO, Netflix etc.
    anon1727506 and Akuji_ism like this.
    02-19-15 08:12 PM
    Do we have to really get into this again? The BB10 OS is by far the best mobile OS ever designed. That is a basic fact we can all agree on.
    That's the problem. You're stating this "fact" on a fan site. If you go to fan sites of iOS, Android, WP, heck, even WebOS, you'd find others stating their case for why their OS is obviously the superior choice.

The truth is a little less absolute, each of the major mobile OS contenders has good aspects and bad.
    02-19-15 09:14 PM
    FYI, a BlackBerry 10 can do anything iOS can do and some. BB10 is no longer just a communications masterpiece. It's a communications and multimedia power house. iOS is just too old to compete in this industry. Even Android, yet being somewhat dated, is better than iOS. Apple will soon find itself in a downward spiral. How long do you think its clever marketing tactics can keep it afloat? Not for long based on world wide multiyear data.
    So your recommendation to Apple would be to take one month's profit (a few percentage points of their current cash on hand), buy BlackBerry, implement an iOS runtime in BB10, re-skin the BB10 UI, and their "downward spiral" would not only be halted, but they'd own the undisputed best mobile OS? Sounds like you need to get on the phone with Tim Cook. Maybe he'll throw you a couple of billion dollars for saving the company.
    02-19-15 09:23 PM
    Do we have to really get into this again? The BB10 OS is by far the best mobile OS ever designed. That is a basic fact we can all agree on. What hurt BlackBerry was its past arrogance of dominance, not making BBM available cross platform, delaying BB10 more than 18+ months, garbage marketing efforts, not making BES10 support BBOS device, releasing 2012 spec'ed smartphones (Z10/Q10/Z30) in 2013.

And to top all the massive miss-management business flaws, they put the company up for sale which sparked mass Z10 returns due to company uncertainty. That's right, Z10 Re-Turns. They produced enough Z10's to feed demand, but something went wrong. The For Sale Sign just made matters even worst.
    The list goes beyond what I've written. And its too bad, because BlackBerry and its employees are masters of technology.

Well now we have John Chen, and hopefully he can right all the wrongs with this Canadian Company.

Oh, Financial District is BANKS, $ Institutions & Consumer Electronics for example, just in case you are wondering.
    It isn't clear to me that BB10 is the best mobile OS ever designed. They are all fairly similar these days.

I work in the Banking industry. Most banks who are still issuing devices to employees are issuing BB7 devices. However BYOD is becoming very common and those devices are usually IOS or Android.
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-19-15 09:24 PM
    Not sure what the value proposition is when one can purchase an inexpensive Android tablet with full app support.
    You didn't get it? :-D

It's loved, and supported via crowd funding because it's an open source project with user participation, for all those that want the apps, the tinkering, the gestures, minus the Google OS.

Hope that helps... ;-x

*** ZnaPPy posting, ahoy ... ***
    02-23-15 03:18 AM
    You didn't get it? :-D

It's loved, and supported via crowd funding because it's an open source project with user participation, for all those that want the apps, the tinkering, the gestures, minus the Google OS.

Hope that helps... ;-x
    It does. Admittedly I don't know much about the #5, 6 and 7 operating systems.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 02-23-15 at 08:13 AM.
    02-23-15 06:53 AM
67 123