02-23-15 05:53 AM
67 123
tools
    With the Russian government offering money they don't have to close the app gap, I don't see how it could fail
    02-09-15 03:51 PM
    Tizen will have to prove that they can obtain a critical mass of market share before mainstream developers will even consider developing for it. If this market share is at BB10 levels, then the answer to the topic question is a definite no. In my opinion this critical mass is 10% market share or greater.
    The Tizen market share in the US is 0%. It is likely to remain at 0%.
    02-09-15 04:33 PM
    The Tizen market share in the US is 0%. It is likely to remain at 0%.
    BlackBerry 10's was 0% there at one point too.
    02-09-15 04:37 PM
    BlackBerry 10's was 0% there at one point too.
    Not really. BB was in established in the enterprise before there was a smartphone market. Along with Palm, they pretty much created the U.S. Smartphone market. They are getting alarming close to 0 now though.

Tizen smartphones may never even be sold in the US.
    02-09-15 04:57 PM
    Maybe someone's going to say "I told you so" someday, but I don't think Samsung is going to get very far with Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 07:16 PM
    Maybe someone's going to say "I told you so" someday, but I don't think Samsung is going to get very far with Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung has toned down expectations of Tizen. Back almost 3 years ago when Tizen and big named partners like DOCOMO, Orange, SK telecom, Telefnica , Vodafone and Intel were announced it really had a chance to displace Android in many areas. Now with all the many delays of the Tizen platform the Android ecosystem has become too strong with consumers and devs. Tizen = IoT now to Samsung and since that is an exploding industry in terms of the breadth of Samsung hardware devices its probably good enough while Samsung phones remain Android.
    02-09-15 07:29 PM
    Samsung Tizen phone is mainly for Asian market and Russia.
    N.America, Europe and Japan are not target for some reasons.
    I don't think BB should worry.
    02-11-15 09:29 PM
    Samsung Tizen phone is mainly for Asian market and Russia.
    N.America, Europe and Japan are not target for some reasons.
    I don't think BB should worry.
    The reason is Tizen can not compete in those markets.
    anon1727506 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    02-11-15 09:33 PM
    Tizen is in the same spot as Ubuntu and Sailfish, but Samsung has more money.

The 'open-ness cred factor' might be a lot higher with these two smaller ones, it's Ubuntu's heritage (GNU/Linux, Debian), and Sailfish finds backers because of openness and user involvement.

The Jolla / Sailfish tablet is coming. Apparently Android app support seems to be better than on BB10, but I haven't tested it yet. :-)

  Telstra has the Classic now, "got it in two weeks agow"...  
    02-16-15 04:15 AM
    The Jolla / Sailfish tablet is coming. Apparently Android app support seems to be better than on BB10, but I haven't tested it yet.
    Not sure what the value proposition is when one can purchase an inexpensive Android tablet with full app support.
    02-16-15 07:21 AM
    According to sources, Samsung has sold 100.000 units in India in a month and 20.000 in Bangladesh since Feb. 3. They're doing great.

Tizen Phone in India: Samsung Z1 Recording Higher-than-Expected Sales Volume | BusinessKorea
    02-16-15 11:01 AM
    According to sources, Samsung has sold 100.000 units in India in a month and 20.000 in Bangladesh since Feb. 3. They're doing great.

Tizen Phone in India: Samsung Z1 Recording Higher-than-Expected Sales Volume | BusinessKorea
    Interesting to note from that article that they do plan on releasing it in Europe, Asia, and North America someday.
    02-16-15 06:06 PM
    Interesting to note from that article that they do plan on releasing it in Europe, Asia, and North America someday.
    I've seen that on a number of products before.... and they never make it here.

The biggest issue with Tizen is that it will put pressure on the Android Ecosystem, and may force Google to close the doors to Google Play to a point that BB10 users lose access to it. And as we have seen with the BB10 and even with the Amazon Store... sometimes developers just aren't interested in moving beyond Google Play. We might get stuck using older APKs or even lose the ability to access some key apps. So yes Tizen could very well hurt BlackBerry!
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-17-15 11:39 AM

The biggest issue with Tizen is that it will put pressure on the Android Ecosystem, and may force Google to close the doors to Google Play to a point that BB10 users lose access to it. And as we have seen with the BB10 and even with the Amazon Store... sometimes developers just aren't interested in moving beyond Google Play. We might get stuck using older APKs or even lose the ability to access some key apps. So yes Tizen could very well hurt BlackBerry!
    It's not going to put any pressure on the already fragmented Android ecosystem. Google is using Google Play to fight that fragmentation.
    02-18-15 06:42 AM
    It's not going to put any pressure on the already fragmented Android ecosystem. Google is using Google Play to fight that fragmentation.
    Google is closing the doors to Google Play and using Google Services to fight off all the not Alliance Approved Android and Android wannabes. Tizen, Sailfish, BB10, Kindle and all the Chinese devices running none Alliance versions of Android are helping themselves to the Android ecosystem... Google is slowly putting a stop to that. I'm just saying that any real success from Tizen might cause them to speed up that process.

Android has always been a borderline "open source" platform... that doesn't seem to be what they are working toward in the future.
    02-18-15 07:52 AM
    Google is closing the doors to Google Play and using Google Services to fight off all the not Alliance Approved Android and Android wannabes. Tizen, Sailfish, BB10, Kindle and all the Chinese devices running none Alliance versions of Android are helping themselves to the Android ecosystem... Google is slowly putting a stop to that. I'm just saying that any real success from Tizen might cause them to speed up that process.
    I haven't yet convinced myself that the initial or primary intent is to close off access to Google Play, but more of a side effect. The expansion of Google Play Services was more intended to provide Android users a method to more reliably receive updates to their devices because Carrier deployment of new OS builds/versions was really becoming obnoxiously slow. Google Play Services allows Google to deploy feature/functionality updates in the form of apps and the Services back-end directly to the end-users via Google Play so the end users don't have to wait for their Carriers to push out OS updates. It doesn't completely fix the OS update issue, but it has taken a significant bite out of it. The fragmentation issues have reduced significantly as a result.

If Google really did have any desire to close the doors completely to Google Play to non-OHA devices, they could have blocked access to the Play Store to solutions like Snap a long time ago. But so far, they really don't appear to have put much (if any) effort into such a goal. But then too... an unintended side effect sometimes blooms to become adopted. :shrug:
    mornhavon likes this.
    02-18-15 08:15 AM

It seems Tizen will use Android apps only to fill the holes. Whatsapp is the only Android app in the Tizen store. Facebook, Twitter and other services are provided as mobile websites. If Samsung wants to build a platform, then adding full support for Android apps is a bad idea.
    02-18-15 08:37 AM
    I haven't yet convinced myself that the initial or primary intent is to close off access to Google Play, but more of a side effect. The expansion of Google Play Services was more intended to provide Android users a method to more reliably receive updates to their devices because Carrier deployment of new OS builds/versions was really becoming obnoxiously slow. Google Play Services allows Google to deploy feature/functionality updates in the form of apps and the Services back-end directly to the end-users via Google Play so the end users don't have to wait for their Carriers to push out OS updates. It doesn't completely fix the OS update issue, but it has taken a significant bite out of it. The fragmentation issues have reduced significantly as a result.

If Google really did have any desire to close the doors completely to Google Play to non-OHA devices, they could have blocked access to the Play Store to solutions like Snap a long time ago. But so far, they really don't appear to have put much (if any) effort into such a goal. But then too... an unintended side effect sometimes blooms to become adopted. :shrug:
    I don't think there has been as much pressure to make Android a better experience..... up till know Kindle was really the only outsider of note and at least Amazon created their own App Store for it (even though many have learn about Sideloading). But this year you have Firefox, Tizen, Sailfish, as well as BB10 and the non-OHA Android devices all coming into the mix. And most of these users are just as likely to pirate an app as they are to buy one and convert it. Google has to protect both their developers and their ecosystem, or face more of the "only available on iOS" type developers. Which is one reason Apple is doing so well in the business sector, the higher quality and unique Apps that are not available on Android.

I think that eventually Google is going to be forced to provide a more Apple like experience to users.... as the differences in hardware are becoming almost irrelevant.
    02-18-15 08:57 AM

Android has always been a borderline "open source" platform... that doesn't seem to be what they are working toward in the future.
    But why would Tizen experience any real success?
    02-18-15 09:02 AM
    But why would Tizen experience any real success?
    Depends on what you classify as success.... That it is selling better than was initially expected, would indicate that for Samsung it has been a success.

I don't really expect Tizen smartphones to be a huge overall market success. But Samsung is a big electronics company, and who know what having one unified OS on all of their electronic equipment might do. As many app developers have spent time on apps for just about any smart tv or blue-ray player... who knows what time of support Samsung could create for it. You get a few key entertainment apps, and a few social apps....
    02-18-15 09:50 AM
    Depends on what you classify as success.... That it is selling better than was initially expected, would indicate that for Samsung it has been a success.

I don't really expect Tizen smartphones to be a huge overall market success. But Samsung is a big electronics company, and who know what having one unified OS on all of their electronic equipment might do. As many app developers have spent time on apps for just about any smart tv or blue-ray player... who knows what time of support Samsung could create for it. You get a few key entertainment apps, and a few social apps....
    I would classify success as selling significantly better than Windows Phone does now. At least 20 million units a quarter.
    02-18-15 10:09 AM
    If Samsung can sell an $89 smartphone off contract with no data plan and access to WhatsApp, that's a compelling value proposition for developing markets.

Tizen's app store won't grow by leaps and bounds anytime soon though.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    02-18-15 10:10 AM
    I would classify success as selling significantly better than Windows Phone does now. At least 20 million units a quarter.

Then by your definition, no Tizen isn't going to be a success anytime soon... or maybe ever. Of course by that measurement BlackBerry is pretty much doomed.

Personally I think you have to start somewhere, and if you have to start small and grow your business... as long as you are making money (or have the potential to soon make money) and you are GROWING... your can call it a success.

I think for BlackBerry, that if the Classic sales can stabilize revenue and bring in profits for BlackBerry.... that will be a huge success, regardless of the number of devices moved.
    02-18-15 10:53 AM
    Then by your definition, no Tizen isn't going to be a success anytime soon... or maybe ever. Of course by that measurement BlackBerry is pretty much doomed.

Personally I think you have to start somewhere, and if you have to start small and grow your business... as long as you are making money (or have the potential to soon make money) and you are GROWING... your can call it a success.

I think for BlackBerry, that if the Classic sales can stabilize revenue and bring in profits for BlackBerry.... that will be a huge success, regardless of the number of devices moved.
    I think it is fair to say that BB10 has not been a success to date. I doubt it will ever truly succeed but it may survive by serving the enterprise/PKB niche.

It's true that you have to start somewhere but it seems a little late in the game to be launching a Smartphone platform. Unseating or significantly reducing the market share of Android may be possible but currently the only company with any chance of doing that is Microsoft and only because they dominate the desktop market.
    02-18-15 12:43 PM
    Isn't BB and Microsoft doing the same thing. It's a "strategy" doomed to fail. Developers aren't going to waste their valuable time on platforms no one is buying.
    true, but microsoft still better on doing their own mobile os than bb. they build their own apps ecosystem rather than hijacking another ecosystem's apps.
    02-18-15 01:36 PM
67 123