06-18-14 11:45 AM
199 ... 678
tools
    No that list is a lot bigger.

Posted via CB10
    What list is a lot bigger? The list of people that are joining BlackBerry?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-08-14 05:20 AM
    I was talking about going forward. Under Thor they were focused on moving to touch. That was the past. Chen is "emphasizing" keyboards and releasing more of those than touch.

That's a mistake in my opinion.

I think you're making more of this than there is.

Thor released touch devices and keyboards (Z10, Q5, Q10, Z30). Chen is also releasing touch devices and keyboards (Z3, Q30).

Guess we just agree to disagree.
    06-08-14 08:05 AM
    I agree with this. They didn't really push the Z10 hard
    They spent hundreds of millions of dollars pushing the Z10. I saw commercials on TV every half hour, signs in the subway, a giant kiosk in Pearson, posters in every shop. They dropped hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising.

Apple Closes U.S. Ad-Spending Gap With Samsung - Digits - WSJ
    Microsoft, BlackBerry Drive Big Increase in Magazine Spending
    06-08-14 08:09 AM
    What list is a lot bigger? The list of people that are joining BlackBerry?

No, companies!

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 08:17 AM
    They spent hundreds of millions of dollars pushing the Z10. I saw commercials on TV every half hour, signs in the subway, a giant kiosk in Pearson, posters in every shop. They dropped hundreds of millions of dollars in advertising.

And now they're spending the money more wisely in hiring enterprise geared sales forces, high touch marketing with Chen meeting face to face with CEOs, CIOs, et al, putting money into improving BES with BES 12, eBBM, QNX Auto Safety OS, BlackBerry 10.3, etc.

They have to improve their product offerings and focus on Enterprise to even begin to rehabilitate the brand name which has obviously been damaged. Pouring money into consumer marketing at this point? They might as well just make a mountain out of dollar bills and set them on fire.
    06-08-14 08:19 AM
    Pentagon did not dump anything and have grossly mismanaged their mobile device deployment. Having been very involved in those things and those that run the program, these headlines are BS
    And IIRC correctly, the Pentagon issued a clarification within a day (or two) stating that they were not "dumping" BlackBerry. Of course, by then the damage was done as it received full media play almost immediately.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-08-14 08:21 AM
    No, companies!

Posted via CB10
    What list of companies? I'm totally not getting what you're saying.

06-08-14 11:47 AM

I saw next to nothing in the Metro DC area. A couple of poor Verizon commercials, no posters in stores, and when I went to Germany over the summer, no commercials either but saw plenty of Samsung and Windows commercials.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-08-14 02:25 PM
    I saw next to nothing in the Metro DC area. A couple of poor Verizon commercials, no posters in stores, and when I went to Germany over the summer, no commercials either but saw plenty of Samsung and Windows commercials.
    I went to two places, therefore the world = what I saw in those two places at those moments in time????

Gawd - my stats prof is rolling over in his grave again.
    crazigee likes this.
    06-08-14 02:57 PM
    I don't know what is in the air tonight, but there seems to be a lot of irritable people all around these forums. If you're feeling in a particularly foul mood, I'd highly advise you to step away from the keyboard for awhile and go hug your wife/mother/kids/dog/guinea pig/goldfish and chill out before before hitting submit on that next questionable post. No more warnings -- there will be infractions before this night is over. You don't want to be that person.

[warn]
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry![/warn]
    Ecm likes this.
    06-08-14 07:00 PM
    I went to two places, therefore the world = what I saw in those two places at those moments in time????

Gawd - my stats prof is rolling over in his grave again.
    I had an awful day. I was irritated until just a moment ago.

This post really made me laugh. I'm not being sarcastic at all. Very amusing.

06-08-14 07:38 PM
    Your post is nice example how many BB people are away from reality:
    No SD card - wrong
    No file system access - wrong
    Can't choose which calendars to display - ??? - I can use any calendar app I want (I agree that BB is best, but calendar(s) in WP is(are) good enough for most people)
    Limited Ring Tones and notification customization - half truth - You can choose any Ring Tones, custom too (I agree that BB is very good in notification customization, but what is in WP is good enough for most people)
    Severe lack of apps - yes, but compare to BB it is big difference. This thread is about enterprise. I don't thing that Police will missing candy crush.
    Poorly placed back button and task switching - wrong
    The email system is poor compared to BB10 - I agree that BB is very good, but email in WP is good enough for most people.
    It's possible my hatred for Windows 8 carried over a little bit to WP.
    I have not spent a lot of time with a Windows Phone because the huge fail that was WP 7.
    SD Card support is not universal, Flagship Lumia 930 nope.
    I said Calendar Display, just helped a lady with a Lumia a fww days ago, couldn't find a way to choose which calendars were displayed, had to turn off sync to the duplicate one.
    Lack of apps is why we were told people didn't buy BlackBerry, at least we have Android and I keep reading something about WP going to offer the same feature.
    File system access and the ability to load your own ringtones must be a new feature.
    I used the email system, still too limited for professional use.
    06-09-14 01:40 AM
    SD card support has been there since 8. File system is obviously restricted, coz you know, why the hell would an average user go there in the first place. Which calendars to display? Been there since 7. Additional ringtones - 7.5, custom alerts - 8 GDR3. Severe lack of apps? Nah, it's growing and everybody knows it, at least they're all native and not piggybacking. WP task switching is so good, even Apple copied it. Just stop nitpicking.
    I have not had a lot of time with Windows Phone, so I'm only going on what I've seen in a short time.

I sometimes rely upon what others have reported. Is this guy correct or not?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...l#post10453651
    06-09-14 03:10 AM
    I have not had a lot of time with Windows Phone, so I'm only going on what I've seen in a short time.

Microsoft added an app that allows you to manage the storage on the device it's called Files: Files | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

I'm not sure if it will be integrated for the final 8.1 release.
    06-09-14 08:46 AM

I agree on pros what he made.

I give you comment on cons made by this guy. In general, he is right but there are some details to comment:

"Cannot download and save attachments (only image files can be downloaded) WTF!!!, no seriously- WTFFF!!!"
    With WP8.0 you can download and save attachment of pictures, pdfs and office files. With WP8.1 it is much better.

"Cannot attach a document to a reply message (you have to create a new email) - note that without the 8.1 update you can't send anything other than images because there is NO FILE manager that let's you browse your SD card or device"
    He is right with reply issue in WP8, but you can send also documents from office in WP8.0. And I don't think that it will be much better in WP8.1.

"Cannot use playlists, need to create on your own - without the 8.1 upgrade you would have to navigate about 5 steps to add a song to a playlist - also cannot have more than 100 songs on a playlist"
    He is right on WP8.0. WP8.1 has disintegrated xbox music from OS and now, MS is upgrading xbox music app about two times in moth and those basic issues are gone. But there is still some work on it.

"Email hub cannot be filtered easily - hard when you have 4 email accounts meshed together."
    You can have email meshed together or you can use each mail account separately. I have 5 separately emails.

"No integration between notes/tasks and calendar. I have really come to depend on Remember on BBRY and use due dates to manage my tasks."
    I don't use my phone to manage my time so I am not sure about it, but I suppose that he is right.

"Overall, it's harder to move between tasks. I am totally appreciating BBRY innovation with BB10. Having to switch between apps is not very fluent."
    I agree that gestures for switching apps is better (windows 8.x on touch it has too), but it is not so bad on WP8.x. If you consider that Apple copied WP way...

"Hub does not have phone calls or text messages - Why is it a called a hub then?"
    It is people hub. BB OS 10 has message hub. WP is built around people, BB OS 10 is built around messages.
    06-09-14 09:36 AM
    Firstly, this article is pure BS. The police chief was saying nonsense...
    Not really. The money quote was the line about "seamless transition between form factors". I assume the police force wants to create one app and use it across tablets (in cars), desktops (in offices) and on the phone. Microsoft's claim is that the Windows 8.1 stack allows you to do that.

Whether that reflects reality is for someone with Windows 8.x development and deployment experience to say. I don't know, but I have my doubts.
    06-09-14 10:52 AM
    Where in Hell is BlackBerry CEO John Chen? Why did he not visit the Cambridgeshire Constabulary?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-10-14 08:27 PM
    Where in Hell is BlackBerry CEO John Chen? Why did he not visit the Cambridgeshire Constabulary?
    Presumably a senior BlackBerry sales executive did but couldn't convince them. You surely can't expect John Chen to go out and make sales calls.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-10-14 09:55 PM
    This is what BlackBerry gets for not releasing the low cost z3 worldwide

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 10:20 PM
    This is what BlackBerry gets for not releasing the low cost z3 worldwide

Posted via CB10
    You think that the decision was based primarily on the cost of handsets?

06-11-14 02:50 AM
    Presumably a senior BlackBerry sales executive did but couldn't convince them. You surely can't expect John Chen to go out and make sales calls.
    Damn straight BlackBerry CEO John Chen should have personally visited the police department as part of the travelling John Chen World Tour. I suspect the current chief executive wants hardware sales to tank so he can justify the transition to a SaaS provider. "Hurry! Hurry! Buy an Apple or an Android and let BlackBerry manage those devices." That'll be the Barnum and Bailey version of BlackBerry's sales pitch.

06-18-14 03:58 AM
    Damn straight BlackBerry CEO John Chen should have personally visited the police department as part of the travelling John Chen World Tour. I suspect the current chief executive wants hardware sales to tank so he can justify the transition to a SaaS provider. "Hurry! Hurry! Buy an Apple or an Android and let BlackBerry manage those devices." That'll be the Barnum and Bailey version of BlackBerry's sales pitch.

I hope not, but it is clear in hindsight that TH was trying to tank the company to force a sell and get his $40 some odd Million dollar cash out, so you never know.

06-18-14 05:02 AM
    I hope not, but it is clear in hindsight that TH was trying to tank the company to force a sell and get his $40 some odd Million dollar cash out, so you never know.

You guys have some serious conspiracy theories going.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 11:15 AM
    Not really. The money quote was the line about "seamless transition between form factors". I assume the police force wants to create one app and use it across tablets (in cars), desktops (in offices) and on the phone. Microsoft's claim is that the Windows 8.1 stack allows you to do that.

Whether that reflects reality is for someone with Windows 8.x development and deployment experience to say. I don't know, but I have my doubts.
    Having started off in researching police use of mobile for these purposes (and that is what my PhD was about) - this is pretty much on the money.
    06-18-14 11:45 AM
199 ... 678