06-18-14 11:45 AM
199 ... 45678
tools
    Thongs are awesome and anyone who disagrees is absolutely crazy! BlackBerry should be having models with thongs to help sell the phones.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Thongs aren't always wonderful. Depends on who's wearing it.

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photo...e-done-without

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-06-14 07:37 PM
    Thongs are awesome and anyone who disagrees is absolutely crazy! BlackBerry should be having models with thongs to help sell the phones.

Lol. I knew I shouldn't post from the beach.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-07-14 12:12 AM
    lack of exactly what features? I'm pretty sure wp tiles do not flash and reflect the wallpaper or theme you're using
    The Start screen in Windows 8 and WP are both blocks with changing content, meant to catch your eye and distract you. Lack of features is big.
    No SD card
    No file system access
    Can't choose which calendars to display
    Limited Ring Tones and notification customization
    Severe lack of apps
    Poorly placed back button and task switching
    The email system is poor compared to BB10

Just a few examples
    06-07-14 01:27 AM
    The Start screen in Windows 8 and WP are both blocks with changing content, meant to catch your eye and distract you. Lack of features is big.
    No SD card
    No file system access
    Severe lack of apps

Just a few examples
    SD card support has been there since 8. File system is obviously restricted, coz you know, why the hell would an average user go there in the first place. Which calendars to display? Been there since 7. Additional ringtones - 7.5, custom alerts - 8 GDR3. Severe lack of apps? Nah, it's growing and everybody knows it, at least they're all native and not piggybacking. WP task switching is so good, even Apple copied it. Just stop nitpicking.
    dolco likes this.
    06-07-14 02:11 AM
    No SD card
    No file system access
    Severe lack of apps

Just a few examples
    Your post is nice example how many BB people are away from reality:
    No SD card - wrong
    No file system access - wrong
    Can't choose which calendars to display - ??? - I can use any calendar app I want (I agree that BB is best, but calendar(s) in WP is(are) good enough for most people)
    Limited Ring Tones and notification customization - half truth - You can choose any Ring Tones, custom too (I agree that BB is very good in notification customization, but what is in WP is good enough for most people)
    Severe lack of apps - yes, but compare to BB it is big difference. This thread is about enterprise. I don't thing that Police will missing candy crush.
    Poorly placed back button and task switching - wrong
    The email system is poor compared to BB10 - I agree that BB is very good, but email in WP is good enough for most people.
    Last edited by dolco; 06-07-14 at 02:42 AM.
    06-07-14 02:32 AM
    No SD card
    No file system access
    Severe lack of apps

Just a few examples
    One there is SD Card support in WOm You can install apps, send media to it and download it.
    There are several file managers including the native one called files as well as a file picker.
    You can choose which calendar you want to display in the Native calendar app, several toggles there man. Or you can download third party apps(from one of the > 250000 apps in the store)
    You can customize each individual app on what tone it uses, whether it makes a toast or just gets silently sent to notification centre etc.
    Poorly placed back button? WtF?
    Lack of features? You mean the feature of not having native apps? Yeah we lack that.
    Cool things I do everyday, set up my Wi-Fi so it turns on when I get home automatically(saves battery by keeping it off in the meanwhile)
    Setting reminders based on location.
    Controlling my Data with Data sense.
    Syncing my tabs and details.

Using Instagram and Vine.
    Using office to create documents if I'm in a rush or edit them on the go with my swipe(shape writing) keyboard.
    Quiet hours and auto replies, so I can catch a late night movie on Netflix without being distracted by texts, calls
    Etc.
    Have you even used a windows phone?
    P.s Tiles are meant to catch your eye with information, if you don't want that then you can turn them all off or individually. You can set a parallax background that looks really cool as well.
    If you're talking about old Windows phones please note the OP is referring to WP 8.1 devices which are much improved. Including two 1080p devices with a S800 processor, even the lowest end one is Quad core.

Would you prefer they take a dual core 720p Z30 with fewer apps and features?
    06-07-14 03:54 AM
    Cough ... speaking as a Lumia 1520 owner, and as a big fan of the flashing blocks, I doubt this spirited "my phone is better than your phone" debate belongs in the middle of this particular thread. Especially now that we've established that this thread is all about me anyway.

I'm all for debate, but maybe start another thread...?
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    06-07-14 04:09 AM
    Cough ... speaking as a Lumia 1520 owner, and as a big fan of the flashing blocks, I doubt this spirited "my phone is better than your phone" debate belongs in the middle of this particular thread. Especially now that we've established that this thread is all about me anyway.

Sorry, just replying to all the "OMG WP no feeturez lolz". Same class as the "OMG iPhone toy ios8 copies bad apple" and " A n. D. R. Oi. D. La. Ggs" comments.
    How's your playbook coming along? Mine just died. The screen doesn't turn on anymore.
    On-Topic: Good choice for the Cam Police
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-07-14 04:27 AM
    Sorry, just replying to all the "OMG WP no feeturez lolz". Same class as the "OMG iPhone toy ios8 copies bad apple" and " A n. D. R. Oi. D. La. Ggs" comments.
    How's your playbook coming along? Mine just died. The screen doesn't turn on anymore.
    On-Topic: Good choice for the Cam Police
    To be honest, all CB threads tend to wander off in different directions, often amusingly, and those deviations are all part of the fun of forums. I'm as guilty of it as anyone, I reckon...

But, the WP vs BB10 debate was never going to go anywhere productive and is futile anyway on a BB fan site as it was never going to change anyone's mind, or make Cambs Police think again. And as the debate gets more heated, it was just an infraction waiting to happen.

Continuing with this deviation , I have two Playbooks, with radically different outcomes. The one used by my son is in constant use as a web and YouTube browser.. I think it may be stuck to his hand, as he rarely goes anywhere without it. LOL

My PB is in the loft. I needed one specific app (an online book library) that PB didn't have and the Android version on the PB kept crashing... so I bought an iPad. I still have a soft-spot for the Playbook though, which was so good in so any ways, and always feel a twinge of guilt at abandoning the little guy. I keep mine as a spare in case my son's dies, because I'm sure he'd go into shock if it did!

I'll stop there... The Playbook story and the mistakes that were made is *definitely* the stuff of a different thread...

On-topic: it was mentioned by a poster above, but the fact that both Windows and WinPhone share the same OS kernel may prove to be a master stroke by MS in bringing significant interoperability between phones and PCs to the Police, and many other organisations. I do wonder if that "promise" was what swung the decision in MS's favour in this case?
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-07-14 05:46 AM
    Thongs aren't always wonderful. Depends on who's wearing it.

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photo...e-done-without

Not even going to click the link. I get my viewing over at thechive.com.

06-07-14 06:23 AM
    Not even going to click the link. I get my viewing over at thechive.com.

Very wise, it's scary to see!

I think my eyeballs are still scarred by the experience...
    06-07-14 06:25 AM

Hehe. And maybe BlackBerry and Windows phone users can maybe not beat up on each other and do Google and Apple's work for them? I read the comments above about WP features and was reminded of BlackBerry 10 users (like myself) who constantly have to deal with misinformed users and articles about our OS.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Vorkosigan like this.
    06-07-14 06:44 AM
    Hehe. And maybe BlackBerry and Windows phone users can maybe not beat up on each other and do Google and Apple's work for them? I read the comments above about WP features and was reminded of BlackBerry 10 users (like myself) who constantly have to deal with misinformed users and articles about our OS.

Posted via CB10
    Personally I think BB10 is awesome. However, I and 80 million others prefer WP. But BB10 is still awesome. C'est Dommage
    06-07-14 07:14 AM
    People really should do research before posting. Also everyone stay on topic, thongs are not on topic lol.

WP is not for me in the same way I hate metro on Windows 8.x. Some people find them useful, I find it makes it things slower for me. I like shortcut keys and running things from start by typing. I can navigate windows without a mouse or touch at all. I'm also not your average user.

Microsoft has gotten better with security as well, at least on device encryption and secure boot, with the TPM.

BlackBerry should definitely be worried in the handset space more than they have been.
    06-07-14 07:21 AM
    People really should do research before posting. Also everyone stay on topic, thongs are not on topic lol.

WP is not for me in the same way I hate metro on Windows 8.x. Some people find them useful, I find it makes it things slower for me. I like shortcut keys and running things from start by typing. I can navigate windows without a mouse or touch at all. I'm also not your average user.

Microsoft has gotten better with security as well, at least on device encryption and secure boot, with the TPM.

BlackBerry should definitely be worried in the handset space more than they have been.
    Then Windows 8 for you. I have Windows 8 on two PCs without touch and keyboard is very powerful tool. I start programs regularly by typing their (parts of) names. And there are a lots of new shortcuts. Very useful.
    There is something what I don't understand. BB fans are "angry" that people don't want just touch to new devices with BB10 or they missing home button. I agree with them. But some BB fans are same when coming to Windows 8. They use same negative hype as is used against BB10. I think that this is shortsighted and hypocritical.
    06-07-14 08:08 AM
    Then Windows 8 for you. I have Windows 8 on two PCs without touch and keyboard is very powerful tool. I start programs regularly by typing their (parts of) names. And there are a lots of new shortcuts. Very useful.
    There is something what I don't understand. BB fans are "angry" that people don't want just touch to new devices with BB10 or they missing home button. I agree with them. But some BB fans are same when coming to Windows 8. They use same negative hype as is used against BB10. I think that this is shortsighted and hypocritical.
    He already said that he doesn't like the Metro interface, and that he can already do that with BlackBerry 10. I sympathize with your frustrations at people not knowing what WP can do, but the Microsoft WP commercial is leading further off topic. Besides, you'd be better off heading over to the Android and Apple forums and making your pitch there for recruits there as they have a much larger user pool to potentially convert, no? WP and BlackBerry are fighting to gain and maintain a foothold in mobile, let's not beat each other up too much (for now).
    Last edited by Gnomesane; 06-07-14 at 09:50 AM.
    06-07-14 08:18 AM
    That's odd. According to my information, they have close to 1500 total employees!! Did I miss something.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 08:34 AM
    That's odd. According to my information, they have close to 1500 total employees!! Did I miss something.

Posted via CB10
    There are around 1,500 Police Officers in Cambs - the rest will be support staff i.e. not officers. IIRC, there's been a general trend over the last few years to have non-Officers in support roles and keep Police numbers up on the streets.
    06-07-14 08:45 AM
    There are around 1,500 Police Officers in Cambs - the rest will be support staff i.e. not officers. IIRC, there's been a general trend over the last few years to have non-Officers in support roles and keep Police numbers up on the streets.
    Yes, Police Community Support Officers.
    06-07-14 08:51 AM

I have to agree. It concerns me that BlackBerry is just doing business as usual. They need to recognize that they aren't going to have a monopoly on secure devices forever.

06-07-14 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    They have more employees than just sworn police officers.

That's besides the point, however. The point is that it is another company dropping BlackBerry as a platform.

06-07-14 09:37 AM
    They have more employees than just sworn police officers.

That's besides the point, however. The point is that it is another company dropping BlackBerry as a platform.

Sure, it's a concern, but not a cause for alarm. You might find this article interesting from John Sims at the Inside BlackBerry Blog.

John Sims: Gartner MQ Perception vs Reality | Inside BlackBerry

BlackBerry needs to keep on their toes for sure, especially with Microsoft breathing down their neck in Enterprise - they're more of a concern than Google or Apple for the moment. But now that they've refocused their efforts in that market I think their competitors will find it's not as easy to knock them off their perch as it was in the consumer market. Enterprise is their bread and butter, they'll fight tooth and nail to retain that foothold.
    06-07-14 09:48 AM
    He already said that he doesn't like the Metro interface, and that he can already do that with BlackBerry 10. I sympathize with your frustrations at people not knowing what WP can do, but the Microsoft WP commercial is leading further off topic. Besides, you'd be better off heading over to the Android and Apple forums and making your pitch there for recruits there as they have a much larger user pool to potentially convert, no? WP and BlackBerry are fighting to gain and maintain a foothold in mobile, let's not beat each other up too much (for now).
    I didn't write about WP and I didn't want to convert anybody. I wrote about Windows 8, it is desktop OS. Very good OS, for BB user also.
    06-07-14 10:06 AM
    , I and 80 million others prefer WP.
    Where did you get the number of 80 million from?
    06-07-14 10:07 AM
    I have to agree. It concerns me that BlackBerry is just doing business as usual. ]
    We don't know what they are and aren't planning except for when they choose to share or on the rare occasion when someone leaks something they shouldn't.
    06-07-14 10:09 AM
199 ... 45678