06-18-14 11:45 AM
199 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The media reports bad news for BlackBerry. It sells eyeballs. That's why they do it. Stop worrying.
    06-05-14 11:08 PM
    Yes, he said that. What's your point?

Obviously BlackBerry's competitors are going to make a play in enterprise as well. You win some, you lose some... It's all part of the game.

8,000 mobile users is peanuts. Seriously, think about it. How is Samsung's "Knox" doing these days for example?

How does the loss of 8,000 mobile users compare to the gain 1,000,000 unique BES licenses?
    What 1,000,000 BES licenses are you referring to?
    06-05-14 11:11 PM
    I'm going to ignore this news simply because they're using ancient devices. Come on, 8700s? These devices are nearly 10 years old! Doesn't sound this force has the budget to spend on quality products. If they did, they wouldn't be using 8700s.
    You know what that's a good point. In addition, whoever is in charge of getting the purchase must not hear about the upgrade incentives that BlackBerry is implementing for their enterprise customers...It's hard for me to see how they could pass BlackBerry BES10 with Z10s at a discount price...

? CB10 ?
    06-05-14 11:14 PM
    You win some, you lose some... It's all part of the game.

8,000 mobile users is peanuts. Seriously, think about it. How is Samsung's "Knox" doing these days for example?

How does the loss of 8,000 mobile users compare to the gain 1,000,000 unique BES licenses?
    If that's the attitude BlackBerry has, they might as well mothball their handset division altogether. What's the point of sending enterprise sales staff out there if they're confident they can garner only a tiny portion of that market?
    06-05-14 11:16 PM
    What 1,000,000 BES licenses are you referring to?

BlackBerry Issues Over 1 Million EZ Pass BES 10 Licenses - BerryReview

and for a good read on the competition:

BlackBerry: Good Isn’t all that Great, while Iron shows its Rust | Inside BlackBerry
    06-05-14 11:23 PM
    If that's the attitude BlackBerry has, they might as well mothball their handset division altogether. What's the point of sending enterprise sales staff out there if they're confident they can garner only a tiny portion of that market?
    No they shouldn't, that's myopic.

They should maintain the handset division and concentrate on software for the time being. They can sell MDM for the time being, handset sales can grow from that success. You obviously don't work in sales.
    06-05-14 11:25 PM
    Furthermore, the ability to access universal apps that can seamlessly move from one device to another will also help front line officers, as the police force already uses a variety of hardware running Microsofts latest operating system, including desktops, laptops and slates from Lenovo.
    This is what I think is the pertinent take-away from this article. Microsoft is going to leverage WP's interoperability with Windows, selling itself as a seamless multi-platform solution, which is something that I think is going to be more important on an ongoing basis. The 'ecosystem' is going to take on a sense more than just apps and entertainment, but seamless interoperability across platforms. The stronger players, whether Google, Apple, or Microsoft are all moving in that direction.

Honestly, I think if BB wants to save the enterprise space for mobile, they're going to have to deploy more platforms than just phones. Whether that means a refreshed PlayBook and/or a Chrome-like interface that runs on other OSes, or even a PadPhone-like solution in the tablet/laptop space, BlackBerry is going to have to be able to sell itself as a seamless ecosystem in the future. The days of limited interoperability between devices are numbered.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-06-14 12:40 AM
    BB will get to the point where they control the enterprise market with a few handsets here and there while their competitors continue to fight over the mobile handset market ...
    06-06-14 01:32 AM
    Including you?

I didn't think this thread was about me, but thanks for asking.

Yes, if BB becomes an organisation focused near-exclusively or predominantly around BES and enterprise services, I'd have limited interest in that kind of company. I'm a consumer, not an IT SysAdmin. I don't follow Cisco, for similar reasons.

So when BB leave the consumer space, I'll be gone... as will the kind of BB that made visiting CB worthwhile.
    chalx, kbz1960, Witmen and 1 others like this.
    06-06-14 02:02 AM
    It's not one:

- Gi Group: Gi Group Dumps Blackberry for Nokia Lumia Windows Phones (Press Release) | WP7 Connect
    - O2 Germany: O2 Germany dumps BlackBerry for Windows Phone - Neowin
    - Britvic: Britvic dumps BlackBerry for Windows Phone - 01 Aug 2013 - Computing News

I think the list may be expanded if needed, these companies can be found on first two pages of googling...
    The same can be said for companies that embrace Blackberries so...nice try!
    06-06-14 02:36 AM
    When I said new company, i wasn't implying a new start-up company. I was talking more about a new company different from what they have used. Sorta like "new supplier"
    06-06-14 03:27 AM
    WP, how simple and childish can you get? Look at me, I'm shiny and have flashing blocks.

The lack of features is glaring.
    06-06-14 04:52 AM
    WP, how simple and childish can you get? Look at me, I'm shiny and have flashing blocks.

The lack of features is glaring.

The Police will be used to working with flashing blue lights. I'm sure they'll get along with WinPhones just fine.
    Shadowyugi, chalx and kbz1960 like this.
    06-06-14 05:27 AM
    So why don't they close the handset division right now?
    I advocated this a while ago. They took the first steps with Foxconn to do this though.

Also what would be a big deal? VERY large US Federal agency with tens of thousands of employees and thousands of mobile devices and about to increase that by getting tablets? How about them moving to another platform AND not even evaluating BES10 because it doesn't meet their security needs? Is that cause for concern?
    06-06-14 06:08 AM
    This is really nice example why this 'focus on enterprise' is pure BS. We are living in a world where enterprise and consumer are going hand in hand, and by saying that Blackberry is focusing on enterprise just showing how little BB management understand their surroundings and how market operates now. Before HP scraped webOS, HP top managers were eager to point how they are aiming and focusing enterprise... and you all know how that have ended.

I advocated this a while ago. They took the first steps with Foxconn to do this though.
    I'm not so sure that BB should ditch hardware unit before they try to release an Android and WP 8.1 devices (no need to invent some new design, good old Z10 and Z30 could be used). It's not clear yet if people don't want to buy Blackberry devices or Blackberry devices powered by Blackberry OS.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    06-06-14 06:11 AM
    This is really nice example why this 'focus on enterprise' is pure BS. We are living in a world where enterprise and consumer are going hand in hand, and by saying that you are focusing on enterprise just showing how little BB management understand their surroundings and how market operates now. Before HP scraped webOS, HP top managers were eager to point how they are aiming and focusing enterprise... and you all know how that have ended.
    I think people exaggerate or misinterpreted what the focus on enterprise goal is. I don't believe it is necessarily handset based in the way some people assume. I truly believe we will see BlackBerry continue to reduce its BlackBerry portfolio and focus on enterprise software and services.
    06-06-14 06:14 AM
    I didn't think this thread was about me, but thanks for asking.

Yes, if BB becomes an organisation focused near-exclusively or predominantly around BES and enterprise services, I'd have limited interest in that kind of company. I'm a consumer, not an IT SysAdmin. I don't follow Cisco, for similar reasons.

So when BB leave the consumer space, I'll be gone... as will the kind of BB that made visiting CB worthwhile.
    Not if, but When? Well you're an optimist. I assume you're referring to the notion that BlackBerry will stop making mobile handsets. They aren't very consumer focused these days, but that could turn around quickly (eg Apple in the late 90's).

I guess BlackBerry hasn't gotten the memo since we're looking at a likely global rollout of the Z3, the Classic, the Windermere and now a rumoured all touch device - "Manitoba". I don't know about you, but my math puts BlackBerry at eight separate mobile devices on BlackBerry 10 in less than 2 years (by the time they're likely to be released). Doesn't sound like a company that's giving up on the mobile market but maybe you know something I don't.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 06:22 AM
    I think you're absolutely right when you say that just because BlackBerry isn't doing well now that it doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to recover. That being said, I can totally understand why people are pessimistic, and I think it is justified.
    There are good reasons for pessimism. I myself try to be optimistic, but it is growing increasingly difficult. This is why I'm very focused on what BlackBerry's next few quarters are like and if the handset sales start to rise again.

That said, there are some on CrackBerry who fit into the "Everything is awful, in every way, all the time, and under every circumstance" crowd. These are the folks who dismiss everything positive. They like everything negative. They belittle every piece of good news and grandstand every piece of bad.
    06-06-14 06:26 AM
    I truly believe we will see BlackBerry continue to reduce its BlackBerry portfolio and focus on enterprise software and services.
    I agree with you. But, my main interest in Blackberry is centered on devices. Devices group maybe can be saved by introduction of multi OS portfolio. Before killing part of company, management should try everything to preserve jobs.
    06-06-14 06:28 AM
    Cambridgeshire Police to replace Blackberry with 8,000 Windows Phone mobiles-01.jpg
    Cambridgeshire Police to replace Blackberry with 8,000 Windows Phone mobiles-02.jpg

I love this thread.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-06-14 06:40 AM
    Bb10 is vastly different than what is out there, the same issue WP had at the beginning. Now with Windows 8 being out for a while, people are more waking to try WP8. BlackBerry does not have this desktop world to fall back on. They don't have hundreds of millions or billions of devices that function roughly the same. And throwing away BB10 for android or WP would be awful for them. Two major companies make any sort of money on hardware. Everyone else is fighting for scraps.

Why would people buy a BlackBerry Android? Or a BlackBerry WP? If they don't have a compelling reason to buy Bb10 what makes you think BlackBerry can come up with some feature differentiation that catches attention on an already crowded platform?
    06-06-14 06:43 AM
    I agree with you. But, my main interest in Blackberry is centered on devices. Devices group maybe can be saved by introduction of multi OS portfolio. Before killing part of company, management should try everything to preserve jobs.
    BlackBerry does not. And has never had the economy of scale to get good deals on parts and lower cost of handsets.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-06-14 06:44 AM
    Not if, but When? Well you're an optimist. I assume you're referring to the notion that BlackBerry will stop making mobile handsets. They aren't very consumer focused these days, but that could turn around quickly (eg Apple in the late 90's).

I guess BlackBerry hasn't gotten the memo since we're looking at a likely global rollout of the Z3, the Classic, the Windermere and now a rumoured all touch device - "Manitoba". I don't know about you, but my math puts BlackBerry at eight separate mobile devices on BlackBerry 10 in less than 2 years (by the time they're likely to be released). Doesn't sound like a company that's giving up on the mobile market but maybe you know something I don't.

Posted via CB10

Well, now you mention it...

You may have heard the saying about not counting your chickens before they've hatched?

When *any* of those phones you mention are available to buy, feel free to rib me about BB still being in the consumer phone space.
    06-06-14 07:00 AM
    Yes, I might have heard that before.

So does this include the launch of the already announced Classic or are we just talking about the Windermere and "Manitoba"? Latest word has Chen releasing the Classic month early, in October. In any case, I'll happily take the wager. What are the terms and stakes?

This fall looks to be a very exciting time for BlackBerry fans. 10.3, new phones, BES 12, and full cross platform BBM (on smartphones). Plus whatever unannounced goodies Chen is cooking up and hasn't announced yet.

I'm sure the latest quarterly report coming in June will fuel the usual doom, gloom and pessimism of the usual suspects who will ignore Chen's forecasts of 6 - 8 quarters to right the ship. But whatever, that has become predictable and slightly boring.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    06-06-14 07:41 AM
    Because if they can grow in the other three divisions then the handset division has a bright future, obviously. Just because it's doing poorly now doesn't mean it won't do well in the future.

Look at IBM, Nokia, or Apple, in the past. They suffered setbacks and recovered. BlackBerry is no different. And if you take an honest look at the other parts of the company there's absolutely no reason to be pessimistic. No reason whatsoever. Only a moron would be so short sighted... Let the mouth breathers declare the death of BlackBerry. All the more fun when it doesn't happen.
    Only a moron, as you put it, would think BlackBerry us doing just fine.
    Keep that head firmly in the sand.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-06-14 07:46 AM
199 ... 23456 ...