06-18-14 12:45 PM
199 12345 ...
tools
    Wish them luck.
    06-05-14 11:21 PM
    I think the issue is that every company BlackBerry loses is a big deal, simply because they are already bleeding pretty badly. They can't keep doing that because they just don't have a huge customer base any more.
    I think the fact is that every BlackBerry loss is magnified while Apple / Android / WP losses aren't reported. If they were put under the same media microscope as BlackBerry it would make for a different picture.

EG: Apple is bleeding market share to Android. Look at iOS 8, it's obviously addressing that. Where's the outrage?

EG2: Microsoft is literally pouring money into the market to buy market share in mobile. Just to be #3.

BlackBerry lacks the cash to fight back effectively in the media sphere, agreed. The ELEPHANT in the room is that the other companies have enough cash to buy positive media play to paper over their problems, while BlackBerry does not... That's the reality, imho.
    06-05-14 11:21 PM
    Sounds like another case of comparing apples to oranges.
    06-05-14 11:23 PM
    I find that response offensive. What is it that you think BlackBerry is doing exactly?
    I find it offensive that you find it offensive.
    crazigee likes this.
    06-05-14 11:27 PM
    I find it offensive that you find it offensive.
    I find your posts offensive.
    06-05-14 11:29 PM
    I find that response offensive. What is it that you think BlackBerry is doing exactly?
    I don't understand your question.

My statement there has nothing to do with what BlackBerry is or isn't doing. It's simply a comment on their current situation and the fact that they can't afford to keep losing customers. Hence it is a big deal every time that they lose another.
    06-05-14 11:32 PM
    I find your posts offensive.
    Lol thank you.
    06-05-14 11:33 PM
    I don't understand your question.

My statement there has nothing to do with what BlackBerry is or isn't doing. It's simply a comment on their current situation and the fact that they can't afford to keep losing customers. Hence it is a big deal every time that they lose another.
    Some people here clearly don't think it's that big of a deal.
    06-05-14 11:34 PM
    I think the fact is that every BlackBerry loss is magnified while Apple / Android / WP losses aren't reported. If they were put under the same media microscope as BlackBerry it would make for a different picture.

EG: Apple is bleeding market share to Android. Look at iOS 8, it's obviously addressing that. Where's the outrage?

EG2: Microsoft is literally pouring money into the market to buy market share in mobile. Just to be #3.

BlackBerry lacks the cash to fight back effectively in the media sphere, agreed. The ELEPHANT in the room is that the other companies have enough cash to buy positive media play to paper over their problems, while BlackBerry does not... That's the reality, imho.
    I see what you're saying. And Apple is losing customers to Android. I think it's just amplified with BlackBerry because their customer pool had already dwindled so much. They now have a much smaller pool so each loss is bigger in ratio to their customer base.
    06-05-14 11:35 PM
    Some people here clearly don't think it's that big of a deal.
    Sorry, I'm missing it.

What is that some people here don't think is that big of a deal? The loss of the Cambridgeshire Police specifically or just generally speaking the loss of a corporate client?
    06-05-14 11:37 PM
    Lol thank you.
    You're welcome.
    06-05-14 11:37 PM
    What is that some people here don't think is that big of a deal? The loss of the Cambridgeshire Police specifically or just generally speaking the loss of a corporate client?
    The loss of a sizable client in relation to their shrinking customer base. Just as you pointed out.
    06-05-14 11:42 PM
    Sorry, I'm missing it.

Some people here don't think it's a big deal because the loss of 8,000 cops using BlackBerries isn't a big deal in the bigger picture.

BlackBerry isn't going to live and die by these numbers, and it's pointless to talk about them. What's funny is that on BOTH SIDES of the debate, we get these ridiculous posts... They mean nothing.

The whole handset sales numbers "boat" sailed a long time ago. The future of BlackBerry will depend on the other three divisions, not mobile.

If they can execute on the other areas of the business then the mobile handset division has a future. If not, then BlackBerry as a company is finished, it's as simple as that.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    06-05-14 11:43 PM
    The loss of a sizable client in relation to their shrinking customer base. Just as you pointed out.
    Wrong. So completely wrong.
    06-05-14 11:44 PM
    Some people here don't think it's a big deal because the loss of 8,000 cops using BlackBerries isn't a big deal in the bigger picture.

BlackBerry isn't going to live and die by these numbers, and it's pointless to talk about them. What's funny is that on BOTH SIDES of the debate, we get these ridiculous posts... They mean nothing.

The whole handset sales numbers "boat" sailed a long time ago. The future of BlackBerry will depend on the other three divisions, not mobile.

If they can execute on the other areas of the business then the mobile handset division has a future. If not, then BlackBerry as a company is finished, it's as simple as that.
    So why don't they close the handset division right now?
    JeepBB and Witmen like this.
    06-05-14 11:44 PM
    I have friends who are COPS all around North America. It's not a generalized answer either, it coming from them and their experience along with the experience their co-workers have. I don't see how it's offensive, I think you are just going down that path for the sake of it. LOL
    I'm not going to get into a long discussion over this. I'll just say this:

I, too, have friends who are Cops. Some are very knowledgeable and others aren't. Simply knowing police officers isn't sufficient to make a generalization like that.
    06-05-14 11:45 PM
    Wrong. So completely wrong.
    Please elaborate.
    06-05-14 11:46 PM

But, isn't enterprise what Chen has said he wants BlackBerry to focus on?
    06-05-14 11:46 PM
    The loss of a sizable client in relation to their shrinking customer base should be of concern to all of us who support BlackBerry and want them to succeed. This is particularly true since this is a corporate client and that is what BlackBerry is apparently focusing on.
    06-05-14 11:49 PM
    So why don't they close the handset division right now?
    Because if they can grow in the other three divisions then the handset division has a bright future, obviously. Just because it's doing poorly now doesn't mean it won't do well in the future.

Look at IBM, Nokia, or Apple, in the past. They suffered setbacks and recovered. BlackBerry is no different. And if you take an honest look at the other parts of the company there's absolutely no reason to be pessimistic. No reason whatsoever. Only a moron would be so short sighted... Let the mouth breathers declare the death of BlackBerry. All the more fun when it doesn't happen.
    06-05-14 11:53 PM
    The loss of a sizable client in relation to their shrinking customer base should be of concern to all of us who support BlackBerry and want them to succeed. This is particularly true since this is a corporate client and that is what BlackBerry is apparently focusing on.
    BlackBerry leads in the MDM server space. They have more clients than all of the competition combined.

And this is all before BES12 is released in the fall which will support WP, Android, BlackBerry and iOS... Methinks you worry too much.
    06-05-14 11:55 PM
    Because if they can grow in the other three divisions then the handset division has a bright future, obviously. Just because it's doing poorly now doesn't mean it won't do well in the future.

Look at IBM, Nokia, or Apple, in the past. They suffered setbacks and recovered. BlackBerry is no different. And if you take an honest look at the other parts of the company there's absolutely no reason to be pessimistic. No reason whatsoever. Only a moron would be so short sighted... Let the mouth breathers declare the death of BlackBerry. All the more fun when it doesn't happen.
    I think you're absolutely right when you say that just because BlackBerry isn't doing well now that it doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to recover. That being said, I can totally understand why people are pessimistic, and I think it is justified.

I don't think that there are many people rooting for BlackBerry to go bankrupt, but I wouldn't say that anyone who thinks they are beyond redemption is a moron. BlackBerry continues to suffer setback after setback and has yet to have any significant forward momentum.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-05-14 11:57 PM
    But, isn't enterprise what Chen has said he wants BlackBerry to focus on?
    Yes, he said that. What's your point?

Obviously BlackBerry's competitors are going to make a play in enterprise as well. You win some, you lose some... It's all part of the game.

8,000 mobile users is peanuts. Seriously, think about it. How is Samsung's "Knox" doing these days for example?

How does the loss of 8,000 mobile users compare to the gain 1,000,000 unique BES licenses?
    06-06-14 12:01 AM
    BlackBerry leads in the MDM server space. They have more clients than all of the competition combined.

And this is all before BES12 is released in the fall which will support WP, Android, BlackBerry and iOS... Methinks you worry too much.
    Yes, absolutely, MDM is a strength for BlackBerry, but it hasn't been enough to keep BlackBerry in the black. They need the other areas to be strong too. BES12 supporting Windows is a good thing, but I'm not sure that will be enough to convince clients to take the plunge.

I hope you're right and that I am worrying too much. It does concern me every time I hear of a big corporate client dropping BlackBerry. In addition to the loss for BlackBerry, it also shows the lack of confidence that the market has for BlackBerry's future.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-06-14 12:01 AM
    I think you're absolutely right when you say that just because BlackBerry isn't doing well now that it doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to recover. That being said, I can totally understand why people are pessimistic, and I think it is justified.

I don't think that there are many people rooting for BlackBerry to go bankrupt, but I wouldn't say that anyone who thinks they are beyond redemption is a moron. BlackBerry continues to suffer setback after setback and has yet to have any significant forward momentum.
    True. But everyone has been declaring them dead for how long? And Chen just upped his odds of saving the company to 80%.

And they continue to make announcements weekly on new partnerships involving QNX, BES 10, etc...

And they continue to upgrade BB10 in mobile.

And they continue to grow BBM cross platform...

And they continue to announce new BES 10 adoptions...

AND BES 12 is coming. AND BBM for WP is coming. AND they say the Z3 was well received in Indonesia (and coming to new markets). AND they are bringing back the classic BlackBerry Belt with the Q20... And... and... etc...

Sounds like a company on fire to me. What are you so pessimistic about?
    06-06-14 12:06 AM
199 12345 ...