06-18-14 11:45 AM
199 1234 ...
tools
    I think the issue for companies is where BlackBerry is going in the long term.

I remember when Nortel declared bankruptcy, none of the Telcos were willing to buy from them even though they were still operating. The big companies said that although Nortel was still operating they were looking at 20 to 30 years for a product life cycle and they just couldn't be sure Nortel would be there during that who cycle to support the products. That's why Nortel wasn't able to reorganize and ended up selling all of its pieces.

BlackBerry is in a slightly different situation because they aren't carrying debt the way Nortel was, but I think companies might be concerned about BlackBerry's long term prospects.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-05-14 03:45 PM
    I'm sad that they didn't choose to upgrade to better BlackBerry solution. But then I don't know what features give BlackBerry solution an edge over the Windows solution that they are getting.

? CB10 ?
    06-05-14 03:51 PM
    When all their phones get hijacked , they'll go back to BlackBerry.

Z10 on Telus
    06-05-14 04:02 PM
    Okay let's take your number of 500 dollars for the Z30 and 200 for Z3 you said that they would give a discount for volume but that would apply to both devices but let's say you give an additional 50 dollar discount for the Z30 on 8000 devices. Both devices have the same OS so there wouldn't difference setup costs or operating costs that is still a savings of 2 million. I'm just saying money usually does the talking when it comes to purchasing decisions.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 04:24 PM
    They probably just wanted to be able to add a row/column of cells to an excel spreadsheet...

And BB10 still can't do that.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-05-14 04:29 PM
    No because BB10 has been out almost a year and a half, and this article says the organization is watching BlackBerry 85xx and 92xx devices crumbling around them and they want all touch devices (oh good thing BlackBerry is focusing on the Windermere and Classic!)
    Come on dude - stop being selective. They have a lineup of phones - Z10, Z30, Z3 (Touch devices) and Q5, Q10, Classic (Keyboard devices).

They do both.
    06-05-14 04:40 PM
    Okay let's take your number of 500 dollars for the Z30 and 200 for Z3 you said that they would give a discount for volume but that would apply to both devices but let's say you give an additional 50 dollar discount for the Z30 on 8000 devices. Both devices have the same OS so there wouldn't difference setup costs or operating costs that is still a savings of 2 million. I'm just saying money usually does the talking when it comes to purchasing decisions.

Posted via CB10
    On contract z30 is $99 USD from Verizon for Enterprise customers. They could get it free from some providers on contract as well. Z10 and Q10 are definitely available free many places.
    06-05-14 04:47 PM
    I think you are missing my point I am a BlackBerry fan. I think that Mr Chen's decision to make to make an affordable phone in order to complete with the other inexpensive phones on the market was the right one, I only wish that they had done it sooner. The Cambidgeshire police are not buying there phones on contact from Sprint or any other services provider so there is no point pointing out that you can get this or that phone on contact for whatever price. I think it is one of Blackberries strengths that it has a variety of phones at different price points and I think it's important to have great flagship device but I think it might even be more important to have an good inexpensive entry level device.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 05:15 PM
    Cambridgeshire Constabulary plans to replace thousands of Blackberry smartphones with 8,000 mobile devices running the latest Windows Phone operating system.

It is expected that the devices - including the Nokia 1520 phablet for frontline staff and the 930 for executives - will be rolled out by the end of the year. Budget Nokia 635 handsets will also be rolled out to more staff members, while Lenovo devices are also being considered following its buy-out of Motorola from Google.

According to Ian Bell, head of ITC at Cambridgeshire Constabulary, upgrades to the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system, unveiled at Microsofts Build conference in April this year, were key to the decision to replace its 4,000 Blackberry handsets.

I do see [Windows Phone] as a viable proposition now. That is why we have been slow to progress our mobility roll-out from a smartphone handset perspective in the same way we have rolled out slates and laptops, he told ComputerworldUK at a Microsoft event in London today.

The security hasnt been right [with Windows Phone in the past], but it absolutely is now. Mobile device management providers have worked their socks off to be ready for 8.1 Phone release, and with the new encryption and new application VPN, it makes this platform become viable from a public sector perspective, while it probably never had been in the past.

"It is enterprise-ready as far as we are concerned.

The devices will also be rolled out across Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire police forces after they agreed to jointly support a government initiative aimed at freeing up officers time through the use of mobile technology.

Bell said that replacing its estate of Blackberry 8700 and 9210 devices with more modern touch-screen enabled devices will support the police forces in this goal.

We have chosen to move away from Blackberry, primarily for the user experience - we want our cops to have flexibility in their working life, he said. From an enterprise device management perspective Blackberry Enterprise Server works great, but the devices are crumbling around us.

He added: As more and more cops retire and new ones come through, their interaction isnt about email and calendars in the same way we have done with Blackberry.

Furthermore, the ability to access universal apps that can seamlessly move from one device to another will also help front line officers, as the police force already uses a variety of hardware running Microsofts latest operating system, including desktops, laptops and slates from Lenovo.

Certainly from an efficiency perspective we want our cops to be able to interact with these apps as quickly and as seamlessly as possible and to get the pertinent information in front of them that they need there and then.

We want to define the requirements to change from the state where we are very transactional to a transformed digitised organisation. These apps will absolutely allow us to do that.

Source: Cambridgeshire Police to replace Blackberry with 8,000 Windows Phone mobiles - ComputerworldUK.com
    All I can say is that they're going to have headaches using WP.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    06-05-14 06:56 PM
    When all their phones get hijacked , they'll go back to BlackBerry.

Z10 on Telus
    You really think all of their phones will be hijacked? Come on.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-05-14 07:26 PM
    All I can say is that they're going to have headaches using WP.

Posted via CB10
    Why do you think that? Microsoft has a long history in enterprise deployment and management

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 08:02 PM
    [WARN]
    Personal Attacks or Insults to Members - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.[/WARN]

This is a very general warning for everyone. No need to target other members.
    06-05-14 08:20 PM
    I agree with your assessment, and BB's likely direction.

I'll just suggest that once BB achieve that aim, and devices become a small part of their business... they will cease to be relevant to many of the current CB base.
    Including you?
    06-05-14 09:00 PM
    BTW, since everyone is impressed that BlackBerry just lost 8.000 customers...

Just strikes me as funny. BlackBerry announces a new company that signed up with BES 10 and/or handsets: usually the number is in the thousands and the usual suspects on this forum say the usual derogatory things. eg. "Too little, too late", or they quote Android / Apple numbers from the latest quarter.

BlackBerry loses 8,000 customers to another platform? OMG! They're finished!

BlackBerry announces one million new BES 10 licenses (unique licenses, since the EZ pass program was introduced)? And, nothing...

Doesn't count. It's the familiar pattern on this forum. Everyone wants to talk about the bad numbers on the handset sales, and if anyone dares bring up the successes of QNX (automotive, health), BBM (over 100 million and growing, just wait for WP to add to that), Enterprise Server Installations (see above)... they get met with derision... Huh.

If I didn't know better I'd think the forum was overrun. But that can't be right, can it?
    Last edited by Gnomesane; 06-05-14 at 09:34 PM.
    06-05-14 09:20 PM
    Why do you think that? Microsoft has a long history in enterprise deployment and management

Posted via CB10
    Not really with phones. Windows Phone 8.1 is really just finally making that possible beyond the most basic Active sync management. But you are right in regards to Windows desktops and servers.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 09:22 PM
    I'm going to ignore this news simply because they're using ancient devices. Come on, 8700s? These devices are nearly 10 years old! Doesn't sound this force has the budget to spend on quality products. If they did, they wouldn't be using 8700s.
    06-05-14 09:39 PM
    BTW, since everyone is impressed that BlackBerry just lost 8.000 customers...

Just strikes me as funny. BlackBerry announces a new company that signed up with BES 10 and/or handsets: usually the number is in the thousands and the usual suspects on this forum say the usual derogatory things. eg. "Too little, too late", or they quote Android / Apple numbers from the latest quarter.

BlackBerry loses 8,000 customers to another platform? OMG! They're finished!
    When BlackBerry issues a press release, it's usually about how BES 10 serves a company of 8000 or a company of under 200 employees with a client base of 8000. It's slight of hand.

BlackBerry being unable to convince a law enforcement organization to upgrade their hardware to 8000 BlackBerry 10 handsets is very concerning. Especially when that client believes Windows Phone is a better alternative.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-05-14 09:44 PM
    I'm going to ignore this news simply because they're using ancient devices. Come on, 8700s? These devices are nearly 10 years old! Doesn't sound this force has the budget to spend on quality products. If they did, they wouldn't be using 8700s.
    Too bad Apple hasn't been in the mobile business long enough.

Wow, ten years is pretty impressive, thanks for pointing that out. Imagine if iPhones lasted that long?
    06-05-14 09:46 PM
    When BlackBerry issues a press release, it's usually about how BES 10 serves a company of 8000 or a company of under 200 employees with a client base of 8000. It's slight of hand.

BlackBerry being unable to convince a law enforcement organization to upgrade their hardware to 8000 BlackBerry 10 handsets is very concerning. Especially when that client thinks Windows Phone is a better alternative.
    Really? How does that data compare to the other platforms? Do you even know? All we hear about is BlackBerry, we never really get the numbers for Android vs Apple vs Windows Phone.

Do you know? Please share.

While you're at it, how does BlackBerry compare to other MDM organizations when it comes to managing ALL platforms?
    06-05-14 09:49 PM
    They police aren't very computer literate people. Windows Phones might be easier for them to use depending on how much customization can be done to them.
    06-05-14 10:02 PM
    Really? How does that data compare to the other platforms? Do you even know? All we hear about is BlackBerry, we never really get the numbers for Android vs Apple vs Windows Phone.

Do you know? Please share.

While you're at it, how does BlackBerry compare to other MDM organizations when it comes to managing ALL platforms?
    I think the issue is that every company BlackBerry loses is a big deal, simply because they are already bleeding pretty badly. They can't keep doing that because they just don't have a huge customer base any more.
    06-05-14 10:03 PM
    They police aren't very computer literate people. Windows Phones might be easier for them to use depending on how much customization can be done to them.
    I find that to be a huge generalization, and frankly pretty offensive.

What data do you have to make such a comment?
    bbq10l likes this.
    06-05-14 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    At the same time it's known that Microsoft gives out all the bugs to their enterprise software to the NSA before they even write patch and deploy it. Not to mention Microsoft provides the NSA with all the backdoor keys to their consumer and enterprise software.

Thank Edward Snowden for sharing that info with rest the rest of the world!
    06-05-14 10:06 PM
    I find that to be a huge generalization, and frankly pretty offensive.

What data do you have to make such a comment?
    I have friends who are COPS all around North America. It's not a generalized answer either, it coming from them and their experience along with the experience their co-workers have. I don't see how it's offensive, I think you are just going down that path for the sake of it. LOL
    06-05-14 10:09 PM
    I think the issue is that every company BlackBerry loses is a big deal, simply because they are already bleeding pretty badly. They can't keep doing that because they just don't have a huge customer base any more.
    I find that response offensive. What is it that you think BlackBerry is doing exactly?
    06-05-14 10:10 PM
199 1234 ...