06-18-14 11:45 AM
199 123 ...
tools
    Cambridgeshire Constabulary plans to replace thousands of Blackberry smartphones with 8,000 mobile devices running the latest Windows Phone operating system.

It is expected that the devices - including the Nokia 1520 phablet for frontline staff and the 930 for executives - will be rolled out by the end of the year. Budget Nokia 635 handsets will also be rolled out to more staff members, while Lenovo devices are also being considered following its buy-out of Motorola from Google.

According to Ian Bell, head of ITC at Cambridgeshire Constabulary, upgrades to the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system, unveiled at Microsofts Build conference in April this year, were key to the decision to replace its 4,000 Blackberry handsets.

I do see [Windows Phone] as a viable proposition now. That is why we have been slow to progress our mobility roll-out from a smartphone handset perspective in the same way we have rolled out slates and laptops, he told ComputerworldUK at a Microsoft event in London today.

The security hasnt been right [with Windows Phone in the past], but it absolutely is now. Mobile device management providers have worked their socks off to be ready for 8.1 Phone release, and with the new encryption and new application VPN, it makes this platform become viable from a public sector perspective, while it probably never had been in the past.

"It is enterprise-ready as far as we are concerned.

The devices will also be rolled out across Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire police forces after they agreed to jointly support a government initiative aimed at freeing up officers time through the use of mobile technology.

Bell said that replacing its estate of Blackberry 8700 and 9210 devices with more modern touch-screen enabled devices will support the police forces in this goal.

We have chosen to move away from Blackberry, primarily for the user experience - we want our cops to have flexibility in their working life, he said. From an enterprise device management perspective Blackberry Enterprise Server works great, but the devices are crumbling around us.

He added: As more and more cops retire and new ones come through, their interaction isnt about email and calendars in the same way we have done with Blackberry.

Furthermore, the ability to access universal apps that can seamlessly move from one device to another will also help front line officers, as the police force already uses a variety of hardware running Microsofts latest operating system, including desktops, laptops and slates from Lenovo.

Certainly from an efficiency perspective we want our cops to be able to interact with these apps as quickly and as seamlessly as possible and to get the pertinent information in front of them that they need there and then.

We want to define the requirements to change from the state where we are very transactional to a transformed digitised organisation. These apps will absolutely allow us to do that.

Source: Cambridgeshire Police to replace Blackberry with 8,000 Windows Phone mobiles - ComputerworldUK.com
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-05-14 02:10 AM
    Thanks OP for the post. I've not previously heard much about WinPhone penetrating the enterprise space, so interesting to read about this not insignificant win for MS.

And it sounds like other Forces are interested too... BB should be worrying about this.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 06-05-14 at 03:44 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-14 02:58 AM
    Sad to hear that they are moving away from BlackBerry, but they actually I thought BB today was more then just contacts and calanders?
    06-05-14 05:03 AM
    I don't think chen's "enterprise " plan is going as hoped.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-14 05:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because one company leaves BlackBerry?

Don't know you how know what chens hopes are...

I think: I don't care, because BlackBerry just has to deliver goods. The rest will follow.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-05-14 05:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    This is just one customer, so we really cannot use it a basis to form a conclusion. The real indication of how Chen's enterprise plan is working will come in the earnings report at the end of this month.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    06-05-14 06:17 AM
    This is precisely why BlackBerry is going to have WP8.1 support in BES12. People need to realize that BlackBerry is not doing well, and will continue to not do well, in device sales. They are moving to a cross platform software and services company, as they definitely should. Devices are just ONE of their products now, and I hope very soon it will only be a small part of the company to reduce the hemorrhage that has happened the last few years. Billions of unsold inventory. All those write offs. retailers dropping BlackBerry devices in store.
    06-05-14 06:28 AM
    Firstly, this article is pure BS. The police chief was saying nonsense...

I mean, why the heck not will a BB 8700 and 9210 not fail?! Really? They didn't have the decency to go up a bit to 9900 or the 9320, were they execting the blackberry phone to evolve into its next state?

Secondly, what nonsense is this? You'd think for a security force, they'd simply stick with the company they have experience with and just upgrade phones/update enterprise... But no, the police we're supposed to trust have decided to trust a new company with their security, just like that.

Too many idiots in this world (-_-' )
    06-05-14 06:30 AM
    This is precisely why BlackBerry is going to have WP8.1 support in BES12. People need to realize that BlackBerry is not doing well, and will continue to not do well, in device sales. They are moving to a cross platform software and services company, as they definitely should. Devices are just ONE of their products now, and I hope very soon it will only be a small part of the company to reduce the hemorrhage that has happened the last few years. Billions of unsold inventory. All those write offs. retailers dropping BlackBerry devices in store.

I agree with your assessment, and BB's likely direction.

I'll just suggest that once BB achieve that aim, and devices become a small part of their business... they will cease to be relevant to many of the current CB base.
    anon1727506, kbz1960 and Witmen like this.
    06-05-14 06:54 AM

I mean, why the heck not will a BB 8700 and 9210 not fail?! Really? They didn't have the decency to go up a bit to 9900 or the 9320, were they execting the blackberry phone to evolve into its next state?

Secondly, what nonsense is this? You'd think for a security force, they'd simply stick with the company they have experience with and just upgrade phones/update enterprise... But no, the police we're supposed to trust have decided to trust a new company with their security, just like that.

New company? Microsoft? Wha?
    KoreyTM likes this.
    06-05-14 07:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's not one:

- Gi Group: Gi Group Dumps Blackberry for Nokia Lumia Windows Phones (Press Release) | WP7 Connect
    - O2 Germany: O2 Germany dumps BlackBerry for Windows Phone - Neowin
    - Britvic: Britvic dumps BlackBerry for Windows Phone - 01 Aug 2013 - Computing News

I think the list may be expanded if needed, these companies can be found on first two pages of googling...
    KoreyTM likes this.
    06-05-14 07:21 AM

You are assuming that they just decided to do this on a whim.... Or that the police chief made this decision - he might have approved it, but others brought it to him.

Most likely they like other business waited (and waited, and waited, and waited) for BlackBerry to "launch" their new product - thus the 8700 and 9210 they were using. While waiting they like others were forced looked around at what else was available as BlackBerry kept putting off the launch. (It was expected back near the end of 2011, then the first of 2012, then the fall of 2012, then the first of 2013 - but if you wanted a QWTY Q10 you had to wait to the middle of 2013)

Then BlackBerry fell flat on their face with BB10, and soon put themselves up for sale.... thus taking themselves off of many IT departments list of future suppliers. At that point companies started looking hard at alternatives, test programs were started or put into high gear.... While Windows 8.1 is new, many of it's features have been known for a while and Windows 8 was available and very usable. But mainly Microsoft is a KNOWN company with a track record in enterprise and they aren't on the verge of being sold or going out of business. Chen can talk all he wants about the future, but right now a major investment into BlackBerry products has a risk attached to it.

Have to think that the availability of other form factors also played a role. I know there was a lot of talk about the PlayBook being picked up by different police forces back at it's release (for some probable the last BlackBerry devices they ever bought). The lack of a tablet in the BB10 lineup, is a problem for some enterprise customers. If they have to work around allowing a tablet from some other vendor, whey not their phones too.
    06-05-14 07:51 AM
    A lot of truth in the above statement. It shows the harsh reality that BB is up against. Not going to be easy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-14 08:14 AM
    That's ********. I'm not trying to mock or bash but just saying. Really, it's so ********.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Why is that?

You are mocking and bashing because you say nothing relevant to this thread.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-05-14 08:19 AM
    Why is the article BS? Are you suggesting that the Cambridgeshire Police aren't switching to Windows? That's what this article is about, and it is accurate. If you have a problem with the reasons behind the switch, that's something different. However it has nothing to do with the accuracy of the article.

What does decency have to do with a decision about mobile phones?

What nonsense are you spouting? Why because they are a security company do they have to stay with the same provider and upgrade phones?

When you make comments like that you sound like one. Maybe stick to discussing the merits of the decision and stop the name calling.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-05-14 08:27 AM

Don't know you how know what chens hopes are...

I think: I don't care, because BlackBerry just has to deliver goods. The rest will follow.

Posted via CB10
    No because BB10 has been out almost a year and a half, and this article says the organization is watching BlackBerry 85xx and 92xx devices crumbling around them and they want all touch devices (oh good thing BlackBerry is focusing on the Windermere and Classic!) but they love BES. Why hasn't BlackBerry has tons of sales people out showing these companies all touch BB10 devices and BES 10? This is a failure to on the sales front plain and simple. Just putting out the pieces won't enable thing to fall into place when all their competitors are working great deals to get footholds.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    JeepBB, milo53, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    06-05-14 10:18 AM

Yeah.... 8700s????? Yeeesh talk about slow upgrade cycle!
    sk8er_tor and Monsterlad like this.
    06-05-14 11:21 AM
    Also remember that Windows Phone can be managed* by ActiveSync directly, or by using what many enterprises already have in house (same things that manage their PCs and servers now). This familiarity, without the need to stand up and learn new systems is going to help Microsoft in the long run.

Also, keep the thread clean and without insults.

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    06-05-14 12:54 PM
    It is really starting to look like BBRY is in trouble still. Not good news.
    06-05-14 01:26 PM
    No doubt MS finally got their head in the game with 8.1 and added long overdue features. But they are comparing Windows 8.1 with their ancient old BlackBerry devices! If presented with that kind of comparison, of course they'd choose Windows Phone!

It doesn't say, but perhaps the reason why they haven't updated their devices was because of the incompatibility of BES and BB10 devices, and BES10 not supporting the older devices. BES12 should have been out prior to the BB10 roll out. They actually forced companies to reevaluate their mobile device strategies.
    johnm137 likes this.
    06-05-14 02:00 PM
    It is really starting to look like BBRY is in trouble still. Not good news.
    Agreed.

And, maybe reading more into the story than was there, if Cambs Police were previously a solid BB organisation, they probably had a BES5 installation - "had" being the operative word there, I reckon.

BES5/10 won't manage WinPhone devices IIRC, and BES12 isn't here yet... and those new devices will need management. So, BB have lost an organisation with 8,000 devices, and (probably) the MDM business too.

I'm sure other Police Forces will be looking at Cambridgeshire closely as regards procurement policy. And this isn't a small market that can be lost without pain. There are around 50 regional Police Forces in the UK and Cambridgeshire is one of the smaller Forces. The Met Police has 20x the number of officers for example.
    06-05-14 02:03 PM
    This is why BlackBerry needs to get a LTE version of Z3 out to the world Market. A lot of these organizations that supply work phones use cost as a major consideration when upgrading thousands of phones. They are not going to buy Z30s at 7 or 8 hundred dollars per phone. This one department on 4 thousand phones would save more than 2 million dollars on buying a windows 8 phone or the Z3. If you were the purchaser for them what would you do.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 03:03 PM
    Or over 4 million on 8 thousand phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 03:05 PM
    It just shows that BB need more than just a couple of handsets, they need tablets and seamless integration with Windows. I live within this police region and they have signed lots of new contracts for stuff over the past few years, big deal with hyundai for cars amongst them, with warranty and low overall cost of ownership high on that move.

Can't fault the reasons for it either.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    BigAl_BB9900 and johnm137 like this.
    06-05-14 03:26 PM
    . They are not going to buy Z30s at 7 or 8 hundred dollars per phone.
    Posted via CB10
    In what world are Z30s cositing 7 or 8 hundred dollars per phone? I can buy a Z30 at less than 500 USD.

Furthermore, an entity buying 4000 phones should receive a decent discount.

Sure, there will be enterprise costs that will be spread across those 4000 phones. But even if those enterprise added costs--which you don't address--bring up the overall cost per phone to 700-800 dollars or more, that amount means nothing unless one discusses the overall costs of Windows phones or other competing phones.
    06-05-14 03:28 PM
199 123 ...