07-23-09 11:15 PM
125 ... 345
tools
    I'm not sure if it has been discussed but Pearl is coming out with a Pearl slider.
    maybe its was just conjecture in the Stratus thread.
    07-19-09 04:32 PM
    The pearl was my starter BB, still have , and love it, but its time to move on. I thought I wouldn't want a bigger phone but I do now. I think RIM should keep it and just revamp/upgrade it, it makes a good starter BB.

I think the pearl flip was a bad idea, I don't like it, but that's just me.

And why does everyone say it needs 3g, I thougt it was a 3g phone, on the back of mine on the bottom it says qualcomm 3g cdma

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 04:51 PM
    People need to realize that not everybody wants a fullsized blackberry. The suretype keyboard on my 8330 is perfectly fine for me and I love that I can still put it in my pocket like a regular dumb phone. Tried both the curve and the storm and didn't like either. Just too big. So yes I think an upgrade to the current pearl is necessary and that it will sell well.

07-19-09 04:58 PM
    I'm not sure if it has been discussed but Pearl is coming out with a Pearl slider.
    What's your source for this upcoming Pearl slider?
    07-19-09 06:39 PM
    There will always be a market for dumb phoned sized device with all the functionality that full sized Blackberries offer. Not everyone wants a smartphone sized device and are willing to compromise. The compromise is the keyboard and screen, but otherwise, the Pearl series have all the usual Blackberry "goodness". There are times that I miss the portability and the fit in the hand ability of my 8130.
    07-19-09 07:07 PM
    My Pearl 8130 is my first BlackBerry. From the moment I picked it up, it was love. I love it for its compact size, SureType keyboard, intuitive UI and email capabilities. It's a great addition to the BlackBerry line-up. Hopefully RIM will capitalize on its good points and come out with an even better Pearl.

One more note, the 8130 is EVDO which is 3G. The ATT version isn't 3G. The Pearl 3G, coming out in 2009(?), is to placate all the GSM users.
    Ditto, ditto! I chose the Pearl (8130) could've gotten a Curve cheaper but wanted the smaller size. Now I agree with this poster that SureType is awesome; I've tried using hubby's Curve and I can't type any faster on his than I can on mine (although we had a funny incident a few days ago where I meant to say "see you at home" and as you can guess, it came out "are you at home.") And I don't think there's a need for "a BlackBerry that flips closed" (although I love that commercial) because the ingenious Berry locks with the touch of one button and also has a brilliant holster that puts it to sleep! To me it's like magic!
    07-19-09 08:42 PM
    Right now I have a pearl myself. originally i had hoped for something a bit bigger, but now that I've dipped my feet in I've got to say that its good for someone who's just beginning to learn about blackberries. Sure there's a few quirks, but its a good device. Give it 3G, better camera, bring it to the size of the the storm, better screen and you have an instant winner.
    07-20-09 08:50 AM
    I started off with the Pearl & 2 months later, I had the Curve. I've alternated many times between both phones. I think whatever BB a person chooses to use is really just their business since we all have different dis/likes. I would never put someone down b/c they prefer the Pearl over something bigger.

To be honest, I am actually thankful for the Pearl; it was my introduction to BB & I am not certain that had I tried a Curve 1st, I would have been wanted to stay with it.
    07-20-09 11:07 AM
    How much do I love my Pearl? I've been eligible for an upgrade for a few weeks now, tried the Tour (too big + little keys) and it went to my wife. Tried the Storm (also too big + afraid of breaking the clicker) and it went back to the store...told the Verizon girl that I was happy with my old phone, she said that she's never heard that on before (totally not being sarcastic, either).

My ideal device would be an upgraded Pearl. Same size (maybe a bit smaller, but certainly no larger), but bring it up to date with the stylings of the 9000-series BBs (maybe the rubberized side keys from the Storm 2), give it a crisp, high-res screen, good camera, and maybe a better trackball. I'm probably the only on this board that doesn't care about wifi...I'm paying dearly for the data, I realize that it's a tiny mobile device and not a full computer, and I don't need anything else sucking battery juice.

Please, oh please, let some rumor (or pics!) crop up about a Pearl 9130! Everything nowadays is trending towards bigger & more functional...the slender Pearl is plenty functional...and it can still fit in your pocket!
    07-20-09 03:51 PM
    I agree I really think pearl cd use a faster processor & def more memory

07-20-09 05:36 PM
    Personally feel the flip concept was the wrong way to go. I would rather see a redone original pearl.

Not that I ever had a high opinion of the Pearl, But I think that if time was put into developing it, it could come into it's own.
    I own a Pearl Flip. It's an AWESOME device. For some people, flip phones are the way to go. The whole pearl design with the smallish trackball and suretype keyboard is well suited to a flip design. And the device itself works very well, it's speedy enough and has plenty of memory. The screen is almost as big as the Tours, rotated 90 degrees. And it doesn't leak memory at all.

But like you say, you personally feel the flip was the wrong direction to take. I myself personally feel that RIM did alot of folks (myself included) a huge favor in releasing the Flip. Offering a flip-formfactor smartphone is relatively unique in and of itself, the icing on the cake is the Flip is a true Blackberry.

And the funny thing is, I switched to the Flip from the Storm. Never saw my Storms memory AT 63.4MB, let alone sit there steady (with a bunch of apps and games installed)

At any rate, the Peal and the Pearl Flip are two completely different devices. A flip phone, and a candybar phone. LG makes multiple styles of phone, so do most companies. I don't see why RIM shouldn't get into the flip phone market as well.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 07-21-09 at 12:24 AM.
    07-21-09 12:21 AM
    My first pearl a 8100 was the beginning of my addiction. I eventually warrantied it and was rewarded with an 8110. Which I ended up having 3 of. I loved the small form factor as well as the predictive typing. My only issue is that the hardware was extremely slow and it had horrible internal memory

They should definitely redo the pearl and bring it up so the new blackberry software and hardware standard.
    I would also love to see a slider version of the pearl rather than a flip.

Now that I am using the bold i still miss the tiny pearl form factor as well as the battery life of that amazing little phone.
    07-21-09 10:46 AM
    I have the 8900 and I miss my pearl so, so much. I spilled beer in it one night and 4 of the keys quit working. I love the size of the phone and suretype is amazing. Count me as another one waiting for an updated pearl. I hoping for more memory, higher resolution on the screen, and a better camera. There have been so many times I've wanted to switch back. Don't get me wrong, the 8900 is an AMAZING phone... it's just not what I want.

By the way... 24y/o, male, pay my own phone bill
    07-21-09 01:47 PM
    I have a pearl but im getting tired of it. a redone pearl would be very nice
    07-21-09 05:51 PM
    Personally feel the flip concept was the wrong way to go. I would rather see a redone original pearl.

Not that I ever had a high opinion of the Pearl, But I think that if time was put into developing it, it could come into it's own.
    Rimm did not create the pearl flip on the intention of it being a landmark device. It was created to gently transition consumers from basic flip phones to the blackberry realm. It was a smart Idea in theory.
    07-21-09 06:32 PM
    Rimm did not create the pearl flip on the intention of it being a landmark device. It was created to gently transition consumers from basic flip phones to the blackberry realm. It was a smart Idea in theory.
    If RIM didn't create it, who did? It didn't materialize out of nowhere.
    07-21-09 07:58 PM
    He didn't sat RIM didn't create the Pearl Flip, he was referring to RIM intentions behind creating it.
    07-21-09 08:07 PM
    having your barcode as your avitar, briliant!
    07-22-09 09:29 AM
    if rim can upgrade the pearl in the same manner as the 88xx series to the bold or even the 83xx to the 8900 i'll be happy.
    07-22-09 09:31 AM
    The Pearl I've found is a very popular phone among women, especially the ones who love to text. It's usually the first Blackberry for most women if not intimidated by the Curve. Surprisingly, this topic made me realize that there is a Pearl flip phone and I've seen no one with this. Mostly Pearls and (in my experience) all owned by women.

Don't think RIM will be throwing this away since they've gained so much more people from it. As for a makeover, that's always nice unless it changes the mechanics of the phone which is always risky.
    07-22-09 11:32 AM
    The Pearl I've found is a very popular phone among women, especially the ones who love to text. It's usually the first Blackberry for most women if not intimidated by the Curve. Surprisingly, this topic made me realize that there is a Pearl flip phone and I've seen no one with this. Mostly Pearls and (in my experience) all owned by women.

Don't think RIM will be throwing this away since they've gained so much more people from it. As for a makeover, that's always nice unless it changes the mechanics of the phone which is always risky.
    You'd be surprised to know how many men prefer the Pearl also; CB has a lot of them.
    07-22-09 11:40 AM
    The Pearl 8130 was my first Blackberry, and to be honest, I bought it because it was cheap. $50 used off of Craigslist and all it came with was the the phone, battery, and charger. I had absolutely no problem figuring out how to operate anything on it and loved the fact that if offered so much functionality in such a small size.

Fast forward one month later and I have the Tour 9630. I do like the fact that it is a heck of a lot faster and the OS is a little flashier and better looking. The QWERTY keyboard feels nice, but I could also rattle off texts and e-mails VERY quickly with the SureType keyboard. If it came down to it, I'd sell my Tour and pick up an updated Pearl day one if it's ever released and has specs even remotely close to the Tour.

Note: I'm a 29 year old male who also pays his own bill.
    07-22-09 01:14 PM
    I got a phone call this morning from VZW. They were calling to tell me that I'm eligible for a new phone and wanted to discuss my options. In an irritated tone I told them that they currently have nothing that I'm interested in. The VZW rep sounded surprised and said they have a number of BB's that might interest me.

I then proceeded to list every one of them and told him why I wasn't interested. Bottom line I said was the form factor. The Storm didn't have a keyboard, the Tour, Curve, 8830 were too big and the Flip was a flip.

I told him I have the Pearl and want to stay with the small form factor so unless he had something that I don't know about then I wasn't interested.

He then proceeded to tell me that something was on it's way. I started grilling him. He finally claimed within a few months a BB was going to be released that would have a form factor that I personally would like.

He wouldn't get more specific but he led me to believe a better Pearl was coming. I'm not sure if he was pulling something out of his @$$ to placate an 18 year customer of VZW or if he really knew what he was talking about.

It would be nice though...
    07-23-09 01:51 PM
    I like the pearl's form factor a lot.
    What I'd like RIM do:
    -Replace the trackball with a trackpad. The learning curve (or lack thereof honestly) is worth the reliability.
    -Keep the same form factor. It's great as is, though I wouldn't mind a couple extra mm length and width wise to accommodate a bigger screen and buttons.
    -Bigger high-res screen. Keep the width of the current screen on the pearl, just make it longer so it can take up some of the extra bezel space.
    -Put the camera that's on the 8900 on the pearl. Because it's the best camera I've seen on a BB yet.
    -Newer OS.

I might photoshop something together because I'm bored.
    07-23-09 10:56 PM
    I got a phone call this morning from VZW. They were calling to tell me that I'm eligible for a new phone and wanted to discuss my options. In an irritated tone I told them that they currently have nothing that I'm interested in. The VZW rep sounded surprised and said they have a number of BB's that might interest me.

I then proceeded to list every one of them and told him why I wasn't interested. Bottom line I said was the form factor. The Storm didn't have a keyboard, the Tour, Curve, 8830 were too big and the Flip was a flip.

I told him I have the Pearl and want to stay with the small form factor so unless he had something that I don't know about then I wasn't interested.

He then proceeded to tell me that something was on it's way. I started grilling him. He finally claimed within a few months a BB was going to be released that would have a form factor that I personally would like.

He wouldn't get more specific but he led me to believe a better Pearl was coming. I'm not sure if he was pulling something out of his @$$ to placate an 18 year customer of VZW or if he really knew what he was talking about.

It would be nice though...
    This would be awesome news! I sure hope it's true!
    07-23-09 11:15 PM
125 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD