I stumbled on this one today. They have a couple of very interesting graphs showing the amount of money per month a dev makes in each platform. They also break down the programming languages the devs of each platform know best. And lastly, they touch on HTML5. Maybe BlackBerry is not as crazy as we thought?

Android Vs iOS Developers - Business Insider

Still, as The Guardian's Charles Arthur illustrates, while Android volumes should favor developers sprinting to that platform, the money still tends to flow toward the platform with users that spend more on apps:

[F]ollow the moneya big factor for the important developers, who can easily spend thousands writing a new app.... Distimo and analyst firm CCS Insight launched their App Vu Global service in early April 2012, tracking downloads and revenues from the app stores. Its initial findings claimed that Apple's App Store is generating $5.4m every day in app sales for the top 200 grossing iPhone and iPad apps. For Google Play, their estimate was just $679,000 for the top 200 grossing apps on Google Play, or about 12% of Apple's revenue.
    This isn't quite as good as it looks. As VisionMobile finds, 50% of iOS developers and 64% of Android developers are below the "app poverty line" of $500 per app per month. So it's not as if iOS developers are driving around their Bentleys while Android developers settle for old Pintos.

But if Android development is more onerous and less profitable, why do developers still bother?
    01-30-15 04:37 PM
    But if Android development is more onerous and less profitable, why do developers still bother?]
    Why do people keep opening restaurants when most of them fail? Cause a successful one can set you for life.
    01-31-15 06:23 AM
    That article is old but the facts on the ground haven't changed much. I am not sure why you think it makes John Chen's ideas less crazy. Android developers spend more time testing and debugging than writing the app and make less money. If developers supported even more platforms, they would spend even more time testing and debugging and make even less money.
    01-31-15 08:12 AM
    That article is old but the facts on the ground haven't changed much. I am not sure why you think it makes John Chen's ideas less crazy. Android developers spend more time testing and debugging than writing the app and make less money. If developers supported even more platforms, they would spend even more time testing and debugging and make even less money.
    The problem with Android is that no one wants to pay for anything.

I mean, even the OS principal pillars revolve around it being "free" (in exchange for it being an advertising vehicle). Most Android devices are being handed out for free. You can get entire new OS roms for free. There are many alternate app stores to get pirated apps for free.

The only ones really making sustainable positive money off of android is Google. Even the hardware OEMs are struggling.

The reason you develop for Android is because
    (1) pride: as a developer you take some pride and joy in the perverse idea that "everyone" will be using the awesome product of your hard work, and the Android user base is massive
    (2) visibility: if your app isn't available to the vast majority of users, then it will not be visible and adopted by a minority of users. This is why some businesses open many locations in areas that don't seem to make much sense. They need to remain the "go to" place for "x, y, z", the place you just know you can count on being nearby, wherever you are.

And (3) content: specifically for social network apps, which require people's content to even work. A social network based app will only flourish if those that are relevant to you can also use the app. Since most of users are on Android,.. this means you need to support Android to make your fancy iOS app successful. This also extends to other apps which rely on sponsored content. If your app is only visible to a small subset of users, then it will command proportionally smaller sponsorship (i.e ads) fees, less publishers will be interested in providing content, etc.

That's why, if you intend on making a living off development, or you would like your app to be at least mildly popular,.. you would never rely on just making a "native" BB10 app.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 08:33 AM
    The question isn't BB10 vs Android, it's Android vs iOS. Many apps do need to support both platforms (messaging apps, social apps, banking apps, shopping apps). Many startups OTOH, are better served launching on iOS.
    01-31-15 09:27 AM
    Not referring his idea's on app neutrality. I still think those are nutty.

I was referring to the use of HTML5 as more of a widely adopted standard across all platforms. A quote from the article:

As VisionMobile uncovers in its Developer Economics Q3 2014 report, a "surprisingly high 47% of iOS developers and 42% of Android developers are using something other than the native language on their platforms." Not exclusively, and not necessarily as their primary development language. But "something else" keeps creeping into their apps.

Quite often, that "something other" is HTML5, which many developers use to build core functionality into their apps so that this core can be used across different platforms (e.g., both Android and iOS), then they wrap it in and extend it with native code for those different platforms.

This doesn't give Android developers an easy out, of course, as they still need to test and debug apps that must perform on a dizzying array of hardware and software configurations. And it says nothing of the buying behaviors of Android users.

But HTML5 could help to lower their overall development costs while also making it easier to dally with iOS as they wait for Android to catch up in terms of well-heeled app buyers. That's a strategy worth trying.
    01-31-15 11:29 AM
    Not referring his idea's on app neutrality. I still think those are nutty.

I was referring to the use of HTML5 as more of a widely adopted standard across all platforms. A quote from the article:
    Many apps use some HTML5 but the whole strategy was called into question when Facebook started reducing their use of the technology.
    01-31-15 12:18 PM
    Don't forget MS makes money off every Android product too.
    I am curious to know how the expectations of someone who makes a small app and gives it away for free. Do they expect anything other than fame for it?
    I liked the world a lot better when you just paid up front for something (ie you paid $5.99 or $9.99 for an app) and didn't have to struggle with ADs for something I looked up on a whim following me around for months. Personally I think there is room for a BB10 only app, it just needs to hit the right demographic. Although I see that window closing only due to the culture of everyone feeling "ripped off" if someone charges quality money for a useful product.

The only ones really making sustainable positive money off of android is Google.

That's why, if you intend on making a living off development, or you would like your app to be at least mildly popular,.. you would never rely on just making a "native" BB10 app.
    Posted via CB10

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    01-31-15 12:37 PM
    Don't forget MS makes money off every Android product too.
    I am curious to know how the expectations of someone who makes a small app and gives it away for free. Do they expect anything other than fame for it?
    I liked the world a lot better when you just paid up front for something (ie you paid $5.99 or $9.99 for an app) and didn't have to struggle with ADs for something I looked up on a whim following me around for months. Personally I think there is room for a BB10 only app, it just needs to hit the right demographic. Although I see that window closing only due to the culture of everyone feeling "ripped off" if someone charges quality money for a useful product.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    It allows them to demonstrate that they can write mobile apps for that platform giving them credibility of they are looking for work as a mobile developer. Or it is just a hobby.
    01-31-15 12:50 PM
    Being a PlayBook and a BB10 user from the beginning... there are a lot of ways that you can get Android Apps, doesn't matter if they are free or not. From a developers point of view I think a more closed ecosystem like Apples has a number of advantages. Also you have to look at marketshare in the areas where you think your app will have the most appeal. Android is KING... but king of what?

I look at Google Wallet and what Google tried to do with Android.... And here comes Apple and EVERYONE is jumping on the Apple Pay band wagon. Stores are putting up big signs that say "we accept Apple Pay". Don't remember anything like that with Google Wallet.

It's apparent that most everyone thinks that Apple is where the money is....
    bhrgvr likes this.
    02-02-15 04:54 PM
    The problem with Android is that no one wants to pay for anything.

I mean, even the OS principal pillars revolve around it being "free" (in exchange for it being an advertising vehicle). Most Android devices are being handed out for free. You can get entire new OS roms for free. There are many alternate app stores to get pirated apps for free.

The only ones really making sustainable positive money off of android is Google. Even the hardware OEMs are struggling.
    But building an OS of their own would result in even less revenue (see BB10). also it should be noted that building an os from scratch would require a lot of good developers (that cost a lot) and a lot of R&D (which again costs money). Also as far as customizations go, Android is pretty good at it. Samsung's flavor of Android feel different from HTC's or LG's or Motorola's while at the same time being the same underneath.

I am sure that any of these companies stop using Android and go for an in-house developed OS they would fail miserably.
    02-05-15 10:39 AM
    Also it seems that Apple has managed to pass Android sales here in the US Market.... so being an iOS Developer might have more advantages in the future if this continues.
    02-05-15 12:01 PM
    Free or paid, all developers are looking for users. I'm a small developer and do you know what sucks? Coming across someone who really could use your app and finding out that they use a platform you don't support. I can't imagine making any effort to develop for a smartphone that I pretty much never see anyone using. As a user, if you hardly ever see a Passport then you might wonder whether you should pick a more popular smartphone next time. As a developer, you wonder whether you are completely wasting your time on the platform.
    anon1727506 and allengeorge like this.
    02-05-15 01:11 PM
    Free or paid, all developers are looking for users. I'm a small developer and do you know what sucks? Coming across someone who really could use your app and finding out that they use a platform you don't support. I can't imagine making any effort to develop for a smartphone that I pretty much never see anyone using. As a user, if you hardly ever see a Passport then you might wonder whether you should pick a more popular smartphone next time. As a developer, you wonder whether you are completely wasting your time on the platform.
    Are you developing apps for BB10?
    02-05-15 09:04 PM