11-07-13 11:10 AM
155 ... 34567
tools
    Although this sounds exciting, I'll reserve thoughts until I see what all of their intentions are with the products and the technologies BB have, including patents.

Whoever ultimately buys the company, I hope they don't strip it and sell off pieces. I know they will be in it to make money and it may very well mean doing whatever is best.
    11-02-13 11:11 AM
    Although this sounds exciting, I'll reserve thoughts until I see what all of their intentions are with the products and the technologies BB have, including patents.

Whoever ultimately buys the company, I hope they don't strip it and sell off pieces. I know they will be in it to make money and it may very well mean doing whatever is best.
    I believe Prem stated he plans on keeping it operational, and Mike and co wouldn't bid to break it up. Seeing as this rumour of Qualcomm is a part of the Mike team, I believe it would be for a synergistic relationship. Of course, all is speculation at this point and none of us will truly know what's happening until the time comes.
    11-02-13 11:40 AM
    Cerberus doesn't run companies. They break them up.

sent from a mysterious device.
    Bor Navas likes this.
    11-02-13 01:02 PM

Mostly, yes and if they were alone in the bid, I would be seriously concerned with their position here. Seeing as it is rumoured that they are part of the Mike and co "team", I'm more at ease with their involvement.
    mathking606 likes this.
    11-02-13 01:22 PM

Could be one of the reasons the current share price is below $7.78.
    11-02-13 01:32 PM
    Cerberus owned Chrysler once, they didn't break that up.

cjcampbell and fedakd like this.
    11-02-13 01:45 PM
    Not true. They owned Chrysler for several years before they sold out to Fiat.

Chrysler is doing quite well nowadays.

Posted via the magnificent Zed 10!
    11-02-13 01:59 PM
    Qualcomm does more than make processing chips, they're also into software development, radio technology, OTA solutions among other things. I'm of the opinion that with proper management and generous funding, Qualcomm and BlackBerry could prove to be a very successful technological and business marriage.
    11-02-13 02:33 PM
    Cerberus owned Chrysler once, they didn't break that up.
    They also owned Air Canada & didn't break it up....however they sold all their most valuable assets. The biggest & most profitable being their Aeroplan program.

They don't break up all the companies that they run, but they break up most of them, the ones they don't are still often gutted in some way.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 02:46 PM
    good one ,possibility or not
    11-02-13 02:56 PM
    i gotta feeling its just getting into a good fight
    11-02-13 02:57 PM
    Wake me up when it's over.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:05 PM
    Qualcomm probably sees an opportunity to increase sales, by cutting out the markup of the processors that go into the phones.
    It would be interesting to see what it costs to build each processor and what they charge BB for said chips.
    Given the fact that procs going into BBRY phones probably account for 0.5% of QCOM's total revenue (or maybe less) I doubt their interest is increased sales.
    11-02-13 03:15 PM
    qualcomm will play a big role may be later
    11-02-13 03:23 PM
    If this group gets bb ,then lets see what they have got .
    11-02-13 03:25 PM
    Qc sell chipsets to many handset developers. There's no way they want to own a handset developer and damage their relationship with other customers. This is about acquiring patents and any tech bbry have that they don't.
    11-02-13 03:39 PM
    Qc sell chipsets to many handset developers. There's no way they want to own a handset developer and damage their relationship with other customers. This is about acquiring patents and any tech bbry have that they don't.
    Funny... how would this be different than what Samsung does? It hasn't hurt their sales to Apple. The only thing that has strained their relationship is patent issues.
    11-02-13 03:43 PM
    Samsung probably accounts for the vast majority of Qualcomms sales since Apple already designs its own chips in house. So if samsung in the future moves away from Snapdragons to their own exynos chipset that would mean Qualcomm loses the two biggest smartphone makers in the world.

All the sonys and LGs and HTCs probably don't make up a fraction of Apple and Samsung put together. So from Qualcomms point of view owning Blackberry is a good long term hedge.
    11-02-13 04:02 PM
    Qualcomm is thinking ahead here. Their current marriage is not necessarily forever. Intel is serious about mobile offerings.
    11-02-13 04:44 PM
    I hope this works out. I mean if it does and they can have BlackBerry be on top like it once was I'm all for it.
    ray689 and m1kr0 like this.
    11-02-13 04:47 PM
    So what if it was because Qualcomm didn't develop the chip in enough time for BlackBerry 10 to be released early?

What does that have to do with Mike doing business on a separate matter now?

Posted via my Z30.
    I said "ironic".

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 07:30 PM
    Have to agree with what's been said here...I think this could be one of the best outcomes in terms of keeping Blackberry whole. That is the big question mark with any potential deal. But it would stand to reason that Lazaridis would not be entering any agreement without a tentative deal to not slice BB into pieces.
    With the runaway success (thus far) of BBM it seems to make even more sense to me that a hypothetical consortium would be interested in monetization and turnaround, because over the long term who knows how successful it could end up being? It's an unknown commodity.

Posted via CB10
    abwan11 likes this.
    11-02-13 08:11 PM
    Honestly I think its worth the risk since they turn it around they make a ton of money and if they fail the company is sliced and sold for pieces and they still make a crap load of money.
    11-02-13 08:32 PM
    Makes sense from Qualcomm'd petspective. Apple and Samsung make their own chips. Microsoft might switch to Intel. Qualcomm might need BlackBerry to make sure their is a platform to support

Posted via CB10
    abwan11 likes this.
    11-02-13 09:03 PM
    I get the feel that Qualcomm may get it... and Lazaridis may come back to BlackBerry under Qual

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 09:40 PM
155 ... 34567