11-07-13 10:10 AM
155 12345 ...
tools
    Seems like a strange combination of parties to make a bid together. It would be stunning if these groups collectively purchased BB.
    11-01-13 08:42 PM
    Qualcomm is pretty much the dominating leader in the mobile processor sector. With BBRY under its belt, you know for sure it will get the latest and greatest processor to date on all new BlackBerry phones, and not some outdated 2 year old processors.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    11-01-13 08:45 PM
    Qualcomm makes the Snapdragon chips used in many mobile devices.

Or maybe it's a play on "Oh snap!(dragon)"
    I still don't get it :-/

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:49 PM
    Do not forget Samsung also makes chips for apple

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 09:07 PM
    Love it BB10 and Qualcomm hardware. Soon we will see a berry - Qualcomm Toq Smartwatch for Android Devices | Official Site - watch
    11-01-13 09:13 PM
    Its obvious the co founders of blackberry do not want to see this company sold and then scrapped for pieces. I'm glad to hear they wanna take it back and try to turn things around. If this happens, I just hope they do it smart and not rush things.
    They've never rushed things!
    11-01-13 09:25 PM
    This would be because they want to combat Intel's move on Tizen.

Qualcomm wants to position BlackBerry 10 as best as they can to potentially tackle Intel's (their competitor) potential threat.

This would be fantastic, as BlackBerry would hypothetically be privledged to all the new chipsets available at a smaller pprice, and therefore increasing profit margins as well as supply.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-01-13 09:25 PM
    Good news for me
    11-01-13 10:09 PM
    Um.. the Storm series.. the PlayBook (launched without email...).........
    revtech likes this.
    11-01-13 10:15 PM
    I definitely see this as the best-case scenario for us fans of BlackBerry 10. Lazaridis and Fregin are highly unlikely to break the company up, while Cerberus and Qualcomm have the deep pockets needed to get BlackBerry back in the game. Having the tech muscle of Qualcomm will be helpful too. But I'm not going to get my hopes up until we actually see this materialize - it's just a rumour until then.
    11-01-13 10:27 PM
    If Qualcomm is smart they will not buy Blackberry as that would risk alienating their other customers. Blackberry is a completely new field for Qualcomm as well and together with Blackberry and hardware, they are like the new Nokia.

I'd recommend Qualcomm to think this over before buying something just because they have the money. Such acquisition requires a very clear new business model for Qualcomm which I don't think they have for the moment.
    There is a lot of integration going on between hardware & software (Google & Motorola, Microsoft & Nokia, Intel & Tizen)

Also making phones is not a new thing for Qualcomm, they use to make phones years ago.

What I'm worried about is BlackBerry becoming an American company which would allow the NSA in
    11-01-13 10:28 PM
    I have been wondering why Qualcomm would be interested in BBRY..

Qualcomm is threatened in all directions.

- Samsung makes both processors and radio solutions. They will not need QCOM LTE solution in products soon.They might be in the process of dumping QCOM.

- Apple makes their own processor and can choose others for radio solutions .

- For low end phones QCOM has lot of competition from Chinese and other Chipset makes...

- QCOM has cash on hand, and is the dominant supplier for BBRY, both processors and radios.

Seeing what happened to Broadcomm and Intel.. QCOM doesn't have the patent advantage it had on CDMA... They headstart they had on LTE is eroding...

That explains why QCOM might be interested....

QCOM has lots of resources working on Android, prototype phone they make early for/with clients. Presumably they can have BBRY do both Android and BB10 phones...

Hope this works for BBRY. Don't want to dump Z10 yet, 10.2 is very promising.
    11-01-13 10:36 PM
    According to Bloomberg, Fairfax hasn't been able to come up with the money. Fairfax Said to Be Short of Financing for BlackBerry Bid - Bloomberg
    11-01-13 10:48 PM
    Fairfax and Mike L are after the same funding. Mike L would have out together a better business case.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 10:53 PM
    This space is becoming very congested with all the bidders. All I would like to see is an intact BB at the end of the day.
    11-01-13 11:07 PM
    This space is becoming very congested with all the bidders. All I would like to see is an intact BB at the end of the day.
    Bidders = 1 (who may or may not have financing)
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-01-13 11:19 PM
    You are correct. Thus far only Fairfax - the rest only expressed interest.
    11-01-13 11:23 PM
    True story

Sent from The Legendary Zed10
    11-01-13 11:56 PM
    If Qualcomm is smart they will not buy Blackberry as that would risk alienating their other customers. Blackberry is a completely new field for Qualcomm as well and together with Blackberry and hardware, they are like the new Nokia.

I'd recommend Qualcomm to think this over before buying something just because they have the money. Such acquisition requires a very clear new business model for Qualcomm which I don't think they have for the moment.
    you recommend......ooookaay then Armchair CEO
    Oscar_E and Xandrex_BSCF like this.
    11-02-13 12:02 AM
    Is this really a good thing?

(Qualcomm-G3) has around 43 billion in assets.
    (Cerberus-G2) has around 20 billion in assets.
    Blackberry has billions in assets (unknown number because some undervalue and some overvalue the assets)
    (Laziridis & Fregin-G1) only have a percentage in BB shares. (Being ex co-founders they technically know what they're going for.)
    (Fairfax/Prem Watsa-G4) also have a percentage in BB shares but only has experience in the financial departement.

As per the recent news all three groups (G1/G2/G3) are joining forces to make a bid on Blackberry.

The current info we have is:

G1: Apparently doesn't seem to want to seperate Blackberry.
    G2: Apparently wanted to take over the assets and sell what it doesn't need.
    G3: Apparently is just interested in certain assets.

IMO: If they were to join forces and chip in with all their assets, Blackberry could literally make an epic come back.

But the way things are it could just mean they all have a certain amount of assets they're aiming for and they're going to split them.

As far as G4, they don't really seem to be in it anymore...Or can it be looked at as a favor that was asked by Lazaridis to spark interest in the bid race and give him time to get more people on board thus why we have Cerberus & now Qualcomm.

To be continued..
    Xandrex_BSCF likes this.
    11-02-13 12:26 AM
    Okay, as a mobile watcher and just a fan of BlackBerry....

Is everyone on here really okay with the people who oversaw the decline of this amazing company being back in charge again? Is it likely that the year and a half away will inspire them to react better to the markets?

Hey, I want BB to stay a major player as well. I am in love with BB10. It reminds me of how much fun WebOS was with all the gestures and the great UI. I am hoping for an excuse to buy a new BlackBerry. I just not sure if this is the right leadership to do it.
    Bor Navas likes this.
    11-02-13 01:10 AM

Is everyone on here really okay with the people who oversaw the decline of this amazing company being back in charge again? Is it likely that the year and a half away will inspire them to react better to the markets?

Hey, I want BB to stay a major player as well. I am in love with BB10. It reminds me of how much fun WebOS was with all the gestures and the great UI. I am hoping for an excuse to buy a new BlackBerry. I just not sure if this is the right leadership to do it.
    I've said this once, I'll say it again, and probably will repeat myself a few more times. The man who oversaw the decline of the amazing company as you put it is also the man the founded the amazing company, and took it to its heights. He may have made big mistakes, but overall he did well.
    11-02-13 01:15 AM

BlackBerry's greatest successes came under Mike Lazaridis. He had the vision to take BlackBerry to the top (remember when it had 22 million users, which was 37% of the market at the time?). Had BlackBerry made a conscious decision to remain an enterprise-only device, primarily and willingly foregoing the consumer market, who knows how much stronger of a stranglehold they'd have on that market.

I understand why many would be wary of Mike L back in the picture. But I look at it like someone who crashed a car... the next time they drive, they're going to be really careful, and whoever's sitting in the car with them will be extra cautious and will be scrutinizing their every move, making sure that the same mistakes aren't made.
    revtech, mathking606 and snowmutt like this.
    11-02-13 01:25 AM
    I totally disagree, as you see that apple's biggest competition is Samsung, and apple devices use Samsung chipsets, the same happen with - Intel(R) -, they were only making processors for Microsoft, but now they make processors for apple too, i don't see a problem here.
    11-02-13 02:16 AM
    Well my opinion is, if the plan is to keep BlackBerry(R) alive, and Cerberus is in for this deal, maybe they are seeing something that most people don't want to see, and is simply a very profitable company in the near future, trust me, a company that is capable of making billions, don't just put money randomly, they know what they're doing.

Lazardi as CEO
    Qualcomm as the manufacturer
    Cerberus as the Investor

All they need is a really good marketing department, and the team will be complete.
    m1kr0 and imz like this.
    11-02-13 02:24 AM
155 12345 ...