01-13-16 07:20 PM
84 1234
tools
    If anyone actually has the specs on the phone, they will see it is not for general consumption. It is a large clunky power hungry block of technology. It has a rear port to attach specialty technology. It will be for very specific situations, none of which will be in the main stream. And the main problem that already has been pointed out is the android OS. If Boeing somehow secures the OS, it will still not be a consumer product. Very expensive and of limited commercial use.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 06:26 PM
    I've dealt with them as a liaison between them and the US Navy. I can promise you Boeing writes FAR more software than BlackBerry does.

This is a very real threat for BlackBerry. These guys are face to face with the government, both civilian and military, every single day. I mean like, in their offices.

You guys laugh. But this is really bad news for BlackBerry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Good point, but to me it is a whole lot of hot air regarding the Boeing Black Secure Phone. If they really wanted it to be secure, why would they base it on Android OS?
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-27-14 08:56 PM
    Good point, but to me it is a whole lot of hot air regarding the Boeing Black Secure Phone. If they really wanted it to be secure, why would they base it on Android OS?
    Android can be made secure. Even BBRY understands this.

Sith can break it down a bit better, but locked down Android devices do exist.
    JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    02-27-14 09:04 PM
    Android can be forked and completely locked down. These phones won't be talking to the google play store.

Kevin Micheluk himself has argued that BlackBerry SHOULD have forked Android rather than develop BB10.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-27-14 09:05 PM
    Exactly. Corporations don't have the luxury of playing hurt feelings.
    02-27-14 09:05 PM
    If it's like their latest plane... they might have problems selling them

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 09:07 PM
    Samsung is spending boat loads of money trying to get Knox to market. They announced that over a year ago...look where we are now. Still not released. We will see how this new player makes out.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    02-27-14 09:18 PM
    Any smartphone form Boeing will cost at USD2500.00 per unit and marketed heavily to governments. The BlackBerry pricing scheme will seem bargain basement in comparison.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-27-14 09:34 PM
    Once BES12 hita, Knox will be irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 09:43 PM
    What's with these comments about someone needing to notify Blackberry about this? As if they don't already know. And as if they aren't fully aware that everyone is trying to do what they do. All they can do is keep innovating.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    02-27-14 10:23 PM
    Also Boeing phones aren't going to sell to european countries.... No one is going to trust this company. They practically are a branch if the American govt.

02-27-14 10:25 PM
    Also Boeing phones aren't going to sell to european countries.... No one is going to trust this company. They practically are a branch if the American govt.
    Wait a minute ... The American government is not trustworthy?
    02-28-14 06:30 AM
    i have an idea... let me make a newer secure smart phone... i'll call it BlackBlacker... ot BlackBlacky... or BlackPhone (oops that's taken)... how about BlackBlack... BlackBone, BlackWhte, BlackSung, nevermind... i'll just keep on putting words infront of or after the word Black stolen from BlackBerry and presto... it'll be done...

nice strategy all the Secure phone companies are adopting... they are stealing the trade name of BlackBerry 50%... 5 letters from a 10 letter word... can BB do anything about this blatant copying of their name?
    BlackBerry doesn't own "black." At least if you are in the US, the reference is to "black ops" which has nothing to do with BlackBerry. Anyone in the US would get this reference.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 11:46 AM
    Black has always been used to designate covert or secret programmes. Particularly in the US, and particularly in aerospace. Lockheed's skunkworks is full of black projects. It has nothing to do with BB.

JBB
    Stop. Don't you know that BlackBerry is the center of the universe- at least on this forum? Any reference to "black" must be a blatant rip-off.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-28-14 11:52 AM
    Without getting into the "did they rip it off" - this sort of thing is actionable - see how Skydrive has become OneDrive because Sky TV sued Microsoft over possible passing off.
    I was wondering about the change.
    02-28-14 12:01 PM
    .....that will self-destruct if it's tampered with. It just won't be won't be quite as dramatic as the old television show. There won't be any smoke or explosions, but the contents of the device will be completely erased."Any attempt to break open the casing of the device would trigger functions that would delete the data and software contained within the device and make the device inoperable,"
    "It's geared towards defense and security customers. It's not aimed at the consumer," said Boeing spokeswoman Rebecca Yeamans. The phone will use Google's Android operating system, but calls and stored data will be encrypted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So every time there's a problem with your phone it will destroy all your data and brick the phone. The Boeing black phone. Every bit as reliable as our 787 Dreamliner.
    Oh that'll be a real popular device.
    Last edited by Bookshelf; 02-28-14 at 12:17 PM.
    02-28-14 12:06 PM
    .....that will self-destruct if it's tampered with. It just won't be won't be quite as dramatic as the old television show. There won't be any smoke or explosions, but the contents of the device will be completely erased."Any attempt to break open the casing of the device would trigger functions that would delete the data and software contained within the device and make the device inoperable,"
    "It's geared towards defense and security customers. It's not aimed at the consumer," said Boeing spokeswoman Rebecca Yeamans. The phone will use Google's Android operating system, but calls and stored data will be encrypted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So every time there's a problem with your phone it will destroy all your data and brick the phone. The Boeing black phone. Every bit as reliable as our 787 Dreamliner.
    Oh that'll be a real popular device.
    Neither are blackberry's sorry, just couldn't resist that one
    02-28-14 12:40 PM

Best Post of the day !

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 01:00 PM
    It's android. No specs are needed, the whole OS is open source and freely viewable to anyone seeking an exploit :P

It doesn't matter what they do. The terms android and secure simply do not belong in the same sentence. But I bet the NSA would love this phone to catch on. How many back doors do you think this has?

Could some company secure android? The chances are so low, and someone like boeing with no experience with phones, would you really want to take that chance? The only advantage here is the US government isn't exactly always smart as a general entity and may go for it because it's the pretty shiny new device.

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-28-14 01:12 PM
    It's android. No specs are needed, the whole OS is open source and freely viewable to anyone seeking an exploit :P

It doesn't matter what they do. The terms android and secure simply do not belong in the same sentence. But I bet the NSA would love this phone to catch on. How many back doors do you think this has?

Could some company secure android? The chances are so low, and someone like boeing with no experience with phones, would you really want to take that chance? The only advantage here is the US government isn't exactly always smart as a general entity and may go for it because it's the pretty shiny new device.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Who do you think approves devices for use on classified networks and the suite B encryption compliance testing?
    JeepBB and pankaler like this.
    02-28-14 01:20 PM
    Who do you think approves devices for use on classified networks and the suite B encryption compliance testing?
    Blasphemy! The US government would never do such a dirty and underhanded thing

Posted via CB from my LE
    02-28-14 01:30 PM

Posted via CB from my LE
    Seeing as Android uses the Linux kernel and seeing how easy it is to harden the Linux kernel, it's relatively easy to harden and secure Android. Just ask Sith.

After all, it's just an OS.

I could argue that QNX isn't secure... Inherently, no OS is secure "out of the box".
    techvisor likes this.
    02-28-14 02:09 PM
    Without getting into the "did they rip it off" - this sort of thing is actionable - see how Skydrive has become OneDrive because Sky TV sued Microsoft over possible passing off.
    MSFT changed this due to BSKYB getting upset as they said 'consumers could be confused'.

Yet both Ford and Ferrari have a vehicle called the F150.
    02-28-14 02:12 PM
    MSFT changed this due to BSKYB getting upset as they said 'consumers could be confused'.

Yet both Ford and Ferrari have a vehicle called the F150.
    This one has always confused me. I never know which one I am looking at in a parking lot

CGK,
    It would be very unlikely that BlackBerry could sue for any name issues, "Black" has been used for special ops for some time. I am no lawyer but I do not see how a fruit name, and a reference to classified operations could be confused.
    02-28-14 02:16 PM
    Seeing as Android uses the Linux kernel and seeing how easy it is to harden the Linux kernel, it's relatively easy to harden and secure Android. Just ask Sith.

After all, it's just an OS.

I could argue that QNX isn't secure... Inherently, no OS is secure "out of the box".
    SE Linux has been hardened to NSA levels, SE Android is being based on that. The OS here isnt the issue, as they can eventually get that secure enough to be approved. After all, SMEPEDs run a custom version of Windows.

http://www.gdc4s.com/Documents/Produ...ctera_Edge.pdf
    pankaler and Pete The Penguin like this.
    02-28-14 02:18 PM
84 1234