02-27-14 10:27 AM
71 123
tools
    Will be interested to see how this impacts other platforms from syncing and if they have any limitations. My Q10 and Z30 sync up great in my company car, a 2014 Ford Fusion. I'd imagine the switch will provide even better BlackBerry integration with streaming and GPS which already work decent

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-23-14 11:16 AM
    Holy poorly worded headlines.
    Bloomberg knew exactly what they were doing.
    raino likes this.
    02-23-14 11:57 AM
    Nice win for BlackBerry. Maybe the new slogan will be "powered by BlackBerry" instead of "powered by Microsoft"
    02-23-14 01:25 PM
    This is great news for BB. Developing the base software gives you a huge advantage in terms of real M2M integration. In the end, QNX is just more stable, more flexible and more feature rich. The day of the hybrid macrokernel are done and with it the walled garden approach to software design.
    02-23-14 04:05 PM
    But neteng1000 is also right: once you have your OS in cars, there are potential opportunities to leverage that into more sales, just like Microsoft leveraging Windows to get people to buy Office. Now, potential isn't the same as assured, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing. BB is doing well in growing QNX-for-Cars.
    ... apps.

Bloomberg knew exactly what they were doing.
    you and me (done ) can react int he comments and/or TW bloomberg about it (done, too) ...

edit : even seems to work, finally. New title is :

Ford Sync Said to Drop Microsoft in Switch to BlackBerry

Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-24-14 at 03:35 AM.
    02-23-14 06:53 PM
    With QNX the dominant in the auto market, if they can start to give it a nice UI like we see in all the videos, they can open up an app world and being the only app store in an emerging tech I'm sure there will be a lot developed for the system. From there hopefully they can make them run on BB10 or somehow tie the 2 together to increase developer support for BB10 at the same time. Just an idea!
    02-23-14 07:28 PM
    could easily be read to mean the opposite with that headline. even when blackberry wins they are made to lose. poor choice of words.
    02-23-14 10:47 PM
    I just bought a new f150.. wish it had qnx.
    02-23-14 10:54 PM
    I recall seeing an earlier leak in which someone discovered a new tab in BlackBerry World labeled 'my car' or something similar.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 11:18 PM
    I've not seen Sync in the Fords but my new Jeep has a system based on QNX. Be careful what you wish for. It's pretty ordinary.
    02-24-14 04:34 AM
    I kinda like the QNX OS in my RAM3500. It works great with my Z30. It reads incoming text messages to me, works great with hands free voice control, it lets me stream music via the Bluetooth aptX codec giving awesome sound quality while allowing my Z30 to control the music. And it ALWAYS just works.
    02-24-14 08:33 AM
    I kinda like the QNX OS in my RAM3500. It works great with my Z30. It reads incoming text messages to me, works great with hands free voice control, it lets me stream music via the Bluetooth aptX codec giving awesome sound quality while allowing my Z30 to control the music. And it ALWAYS just works.
    Are you saying ford already has QNX in some models?

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.2141
    02-24-14 10:00 AM
    Are you saying ford already has QNX in some models?

RAM3500 is chrysler brand, its a truck
    02-24-14 10:02 AM
    RAM3500 is chrysler brand, its a truck
    Sorry I thought you were talking about the F series.
    My bad. I'm always confused with them both.
    Is dodge a Chrysler product? (Didn't know that)

02-24-14 10:14 AM
    Sorry I thought you were talking about the F series.
    My bad. I'm always confused with them both.
    Is dodge a Chrysler product? (Didn't know that)

Yes Jeep-Dodge-RAM-Chrysler all have the uconnect (QNX) in dash entertainment/navigation system available.
    02-24-14 11:26 AM
    Here's a shameless plug for the new uconnect (QNX) system which is really really nice.
    Jeep Canada | Build Your Own Mid-Size SUV, Crossover SUV, 4x4 - jeep.ca
    02-24-14 11:32 AM
    I have in-Sync and I wish it would process incoming BBM messages and not simply text messages as I finally am training those around me to use BBM but to step back and say uhh but if I'm in the car please send me a text. Sigh..Does the QNX infotainment system handle BBM messages?
    02-24-14 11:46 AM
    Does the QNX infotainment system handle BBM messages?
    No. QNX is NOT BB10! While BB10 is built of of a foundation of QNX, in the end, QNX is only a relatively small part of BB10. Think of it this way: as important as a good, solid foundation is to making a good house, you wouldn't want to try to live in/on a foundation alone, would you? No walls, no roof, no electrical, no insulation, etc.

QNX-for-Cars is the base QNX OS with some additional car modules (major building blocks) that the car company can choose from and use in the process of making their own custom UI and system. Much like LEGOs, you can take the same blocks and make lots of different things with it, and that's what the car companies do: use the pieces they want, ignore the ones they don't, and make their own unique creations. They have no access to BB10 code (beyond the QNX foundation that is similar between the two).

QNX-in-Cars is a win for BB the company, but does nothing directly for BB10, anymore than Microsoft Sync did anything directly for Windows Phone.
    02-24-14 12:24 PM
    I've not seen Sync in the Fords but my new Jeep has a system based on QNX. Be careful what you wish for. It's pretty ordinary.
    Even so -- I guess Ford sees it as superior to what they have in Sync.
    raino likes this.
    02-25-14 12:07 AM
    I was going to reword the title to read correctly, but then figured I'd mess everyone up even more! LOL
    Hi HelloNNNewman,

Not sure how to send you a direct message but I've amended my signature.

Hope this is ok?

Thanks.

Using BlackBerry Z10
    02-25-14 02:42 AM
    Ford 'not married' to Microsoft for next-gen Sync, but BlackBerry isn't necessarily in | Mobile - CNET News

Ford is looking for partners to create the third version of the incredibly popular Sync infotainment system. Microsoft is still in the running, and so is BlackBerry's QNX.

BARCELONA, Spain -- There's been no shortage of talk and speculation of late surrounding Ford's relationship with Microsoft.

Microsoft has, since the beginning of Sync, provided the software underpinnings that make the infotainment system work. With millions of Sync-equipped vehicles on the road, it's big business, and with rumors of a switch to QNX making the rounds, that's potentially bad news for Microsoft.

However, Ford is saying not so fast. Here in Barcelona at Mobile World Congress we spoke with Ford managing director Pin van der Jagt about the situation. He said that Ford is always questioning and evaluating suppliers and that re-evaluating the Microsoft deal is just a part of normal business. "Sync 1 and 2 was done with Microsoft but we are not married with them. For us, it's a supplier, so every time we keep evaluating is it the right partner," he said.

That doesn't mean that Microsoft is out and that BlackBerry's QNX is in, though: "That is a rumor. What we are in the process of, we are spec'ing out our requirements for the next generation: what we want to do, what features we want to add, what functionality. Then you go through a normal supply selection process. Those requirements for the next generation get sent out to everybody, to Microsoft, to Apple, to everybody, and they come back with offers... We go to evaluation and make a choice and that choice hasn't been made yet."

So, Ford is in the middle of requesting proposals, the RFP stage that comes before many large projects -- and Sync 3 will definitely be a large project. While Microsoft isn't a lock for the future of Sync, neither is QNX. At least, that's the official story for now.
    cgk likes this.
    02-27-14 10:27 AM
71 123