01-06-15 07:53 PM
162 ... 567
tools
    I'd build a next gen Z10, maybe call it the Z11 and keep the internals exactly the same except add a bigger battery. Z10's at the very end were being sold in Canada for $149 off contract. I'm not sure if they could feasibly build a Z11 and sell it for $149 off contract. But if it is doable then they should seriously look at it. Same goes for the Z30. Make a Z31. Keep the internals the same, but bump up the screen res and sell it for $199 off contract. The components in those phones are fairly old now and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
    The issue is that it costs a lot of money to first of all develop a smartphone, secondly it costs a lot of money to produce a smartphone.

Sure they could manufacturer loads for low cost + sell them cheap in order to turn a small profit. But what if they don't sell? Well we could have another Z10 situation where stock is written off.

The alternative is they could manufacturer a small amount at a time, this will result in higher production costs and it's much harder to sell at a cheap price as the profit margin will be very very low if not non existent.

So that's the issue. And when Blackberry aren't making much money on services anymore in the consumer market then it's hard to just rely on cheap hardware.
    01-01-15 12:42 PM
    I'd build a next gen Z10, maybe call it the Z11 and keep the internals exactly the same except add a bigger battery. Z10's at the very end were being sold in Canada for $149 off contract. I'm not sure if they could feasibly build a Z11 and sell it for $149 off contract. But if it is doable then they should seriously look at it. Same goes for the Z30. Make a Z31. Keep the internals the same, but bump up the screen res and sell it for $199 off contract. The components in those phones are fairly old now and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
    I'm pretty sure that's what they are doing, only it will be called a Z20.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 01:02 PM
    I'm pretty sure that's what they are doing, only it will be called a Z20.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. But if the rumoured price of $299 is true then it is too expensive. That's why I mentioned keeping all the existing internals and just doing small but noticeable upgrades (display, battery) that won't require numerous retesting cycles.
    01-01-15 03:24 PM
    The issue is that it costs a lot of money to first of all develop a smartphone, secondly it costs a lot of money to produce a smartphone.

Sure they could manufacturer loads for low cost + sell them cheap in order to turn a small profit. But what if they don't sell? Well we could have another Z10 situation where stock is written off.

The alternative is they could manufacturer a small amount at a time, this will result in higher production costs and it's much harder to sell at a cheap price as the profit margin will be very very low if not non existent.

So that's the issue. And when Blackberry aren't making much money on services anymore in the consumer market then it's hard to just rely on cheap hardware.
    All good points. There is no easy answer. With that said, it seems they were able to produce enough Z3's on an as needed basis all while keeping the cost at about $199 USD. If they could replicate that price tag and production formula with something a bit more advanced then that would be ideal. I think an under $200 starting price would get them a lot of looks.
    01-01-15 03:26 PM
    All good points. There is no easy answer. With that said, it seems they were able to produce enough Z3's on an as needed basis all while keeping the cost at about $199 USD. If they could replicate that price tag and production formula with something a bit more advanced then that would be ideal. I think an under $200 starting price would get them a lot of looks.
    That was thanks to Foxconn and selling in limited markets.

The Z3 isn't and wasn't enough to make an impact. Especially in Indonesia where Blackberry market share has dropped from 50% to under 15%. In India the market share isn't even 1%.

The logistics of selling these devices in other markets would push the price up off contract. It'll be interesting to see Blackberry's handset road map for 2015 and see if they do have any "Super Mid" devices or whether we're going to just see standard budget and high end models again.

Blackberry need to do something soon as they now have less than 40 million active users worldwide. Compare that to the 1,600 million Android users....
    Last edited by AhmadCentral; 01-01-15 at 04:31 PM.
    LuvULongTime and mornhavon like this.
    01-01-15 04:05 PM
    Yup. But if the rumoured price of $299 is true then it is too expensive. That's why I mentioned keeping all the existing internals and just doing small but noticeable upgrades (display, battery) that won't require numerous retesting cycles.
    Why bother complaining about what the rumored price is going to be on a phone with rumored specs

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 04:30 PM
    Why bother complaining about what the rumored price is going to be on a phone with rumored specs

Posted via CB10
    Not really complaining. More of a realistic observation. And looking at BB's past history with specs and pricing, the $299 price for the rumoured HW is just about what they would do.
    mnc76 likes this.
    01-01-15 05:21 PM
    Not really complaining. More of a realistic observation. And looking at BB's past history with specs and pricing, the $299 price for the rumoured HW is just about what they would do.
    Yup. All else being equal, the Passport is the only phone they've released in at least 5 years that has a market price that match it's specs.

Every other phone they've released has been way overpriced (on a pure-spec basis).

Bold 9900, Torch 9800, 9810, Z10, Q5, Q10, Z3, Z30, Classic. All way overpriced and underpowered.

Of course, BB10 native apps run better than Android apps (all Android apps are written in Java and run in some kind of runtime "player" -- even on 'real' Android phones, e.g.: even on the Nexus 6, HTC One M8, and Galaxy S5 -- Android apps use an Android runtime -- APKs are Java apps and *not* native code like BB10 and iOS apps are).

However, if BlackBerry is now telling us to look to the Amazon store for ALL our non-Enterprise apps, then they will need Android-level hardware (or better!) to consistently run these Android apps smoothly.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    Last edited by mnc76; 01-02-15 at 12:09 PM.
    01-02-15 11:58 AM
    Yup. All else being equal, the Passport is the only phone they've released in at least 5 years that has a market price that match it's specs.

Every other phone they've released has been way overpriced (on a pure-spec basis).

Bold 9900, Torch 9800, 9810, Z10, Q5, Q10, Z3, Z30, Classic. All way overpriced and underpowered.

Of course, BB10 native apps run better than Android apps (all Android apps are written in Java and run in some kind of runtime "player" -- even on 'real' Android phones, e.g.: even on the Nexus 6, HTC One M8, and Galaxy S5 -- Android apps use an Android runtime -- APKs are Java apps and *not* native code like BB10 and iOS apps are).

However, if BlackBerry is now telling us to look to the Amazon store for ALL our non-Enterprise apps, then they will need Android-level hardware (or better!) to consistently run these Android apps smoothly.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    Android also introduced ART (Android Runtime) in 5.0 that compiles APKs into machine code (native code) at installation of an app. So the apps no longer need to run in a virtual machine like the days of Dalvik VM that transformed byte code into machine code when an app runs.

You could say that Android also has native apps now.
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-03-15 07:06 AM
    Android also introduced ART (Android Runtime) in 5.0 that compiles APKs into machine code (native code) at installation of an app. So the apps no longer need to run in a virtual machine like the days of Dalvik VM that transformed byte code into machine code when an app runs.

You could say that Android also has native apps now.
    They still need a garbage collector.
    01-03-15 08:22 AM
    They still need a garbage collector.
    For their app store ...? ;-)

(I know what you mean)

*** Znappy New Year ... ***
    01-06-15 03:37 AM
    For their app store ...? ;-)

(I know what you mean)

*** Znappy New Year ... ***
    I was responding to "You could say that Android also has native apps now.
    01-06-15 07:53 PM
162 ... 567