01-06-15 06:53 PM
162 1234 ...
tools
    Whatever the billing cycle, they aren't showing up as an increase in Service Revenues.

EZ Pass got you a free perpetual Silver license.... and it's possible that for some, they might have migrated from a more expensive BES5 license to a free Silver licenses and that's all they needed, so in fact BlackBerry could be losing money by converting BES5 customers. But the hope was that many of these would need some of the Add-On features like BBM Protected, BlackBerry Blend, BBM Meetings, VPN Authentication, Premium Support. Or I'm sure BlackBerry hoped the free license would get their attention, but a Gold License would be what they would end up buying. Either that isn't happening, or they are losing more BIS customers than the growth in BES12 can account for.

What ever the reason, revenue is not growing in the the Services category right now.
    Silver license is free. But tech support - not
    12-19-14 09:53 AM
    Just two?

I am willing to acknowledge that BES12 is still young and that number will likely be much larger; but, two would corroborate my argument more than debunk it.
    Two that don't have any Blackberry phones. We don't know the size of them. He also said I think that 60% of BES12 implementations are running a mix of phone hardware. We don't know the mix. The fact that two enterprises are using Blackberry and have chosen that even when they don't use any Blackberrys means something.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    12-19-14 09:54 AM
    What happened to the 200k units sold on launch day? Can Blackberry hire a CEO that does not lie?
    do you see the difference between SOLD (invoice sent to customer) and Purchase order?
    they said, that they have managed to ramp put and ship out of those 200k in December 12th
    12-19-14 09:55 AM
    Yeah... interesting to know how many of those devices were Passports.

Agree that hardware sales are much lower than should have been expected. I'd been hoping for at least 2.5m.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 09:55 AM
    NO, they didn't. They said they were working towards 40%.

What is it now?
    If you know, why are you asking. LOL They said 40% ish and working towards high 40's.
    12-19-14 09:57 AM
    Yeah... interesting to know how many of those devices were Passports.

Agree that hardware sales are much lower than should have been expected. I'd been hoping for at least 2.5m.

Posted via CB10
    200K. They said that it was a 4-6 week lead time to make runs. All they were able to fulfill in that quarter where pre-orders.
    12-19-14 09:59 AM
    I'm quite sure it's over 40% because a few months ago, they said it was north of 40%. This quarter, this is what they had to say:

"Non-GAAP and GAAP gross margin of 52%, driven by a second consecutive quarter of positive hardware gross margin"
    Thanks. Weird info from them. If they were at 52%, how could they be working up to 40%?
    12-19-14 09:59 AM
    It's tough to have good sales numbers when: the Z10, Z30, Q10 and Q5 are all but discontinued; the Z3 still hasn't been released in North America or Europe; the Passport was out of stock for about half the quarter; zero American carriers have started selling it yet; and there hasn't been a hint of marketing.

With all those factors considered, I'm almost surprised they got 2M sales. The biggest difference next quarter I think is whether or not carriers actually pick up the Classic as promised (and AT&T finally gets the Passport). You can only get so many sales from unlocked phones off Amazon.
    Yanncli21 and ponpiri like this.
    12-19-14 10:14 AM
    200K. They said that it was a 4-6 week lead time to make runs. All they were able to fulfill in that quarter where pre-orders.
    I see - thanks for explaining

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 10:16 AM
    It's tough to have good sales numbers when: the Z10, Z30, Q10 and Q5 are all but discontinued; the Z3 still hasn't been released in North America or Europe; the Passport was out of stock for about half the quarter; zero American carriers have started selling it yet; and there hasn't been a hint of marketing.

With all those factors considered, I'm almost surprised they got 2M sales. The biggest difference next quarter I think is whether or not carriers actually pick up the Classic as promised (and AT&T finally gets the Passport). You can only get so many sales from unlocked phones off Amazon.
    I don't think the Z30 is discontinued
    12-19-14 10:23 AM
    I don't think the Z30 is discontinued
    I said "all but", as in good luck buying one anywhere, especially in the States. Maybe if you're lucky you can find it on Verizon's website if you look at the right time. The only country you can reliably get one from carriers is Canada and even here the sales reps will try to talk you out of it.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    12-19-14 10:30 AM
    I think what is lacking is perspective... 2 things that need to remember is where BB is coming from and where they are going.... Considering the write downs... company bloat and lack of vision... I think Chen has done a remarkable job just to get to this point.... as to where BB is going... " Enterprise all the way with emphasis on software and services".... Chen has been crystal clear on his vision... yet people continue to harp on hardware sales..,. face facts ... BB is not longer competing in the the consumer market... perhaps someday but not now.... whether can make the transition to software and services in the Enterprise market remains to be seen,.... but this constant focus on hardware just shows many simply do not understand where BB is headed... either a niche company or to oblivion.....
    I keep hearing "enterprise all the way" or the have a vision....

The Z3 was Chen's.... it was not an enterprise device.
    The Passport was Chen's.... seen no real indication it has been marketed or is being sold as an enterprise device.
    BBM/Channels is not an enterprise product.

The focus on hardware today is that right now that is 50% of their business... and if you allow for the fact that many of the Services Licenses that they do sell, would go away without the hardware to go with it. Without hardware, the current company wouldn't be bringing in more that a few hundred million in revenues.

Now there is a lot of TALK about the future... of the company being more about software and services. But that is more a result of where they are heading, not where they want to be heading.

QNX, BES, IoT, BBM, Channels, Secure Networks... there is potential there, but they are a long way from turning those into the kind of revenues that even now hardware is bring in. And there are many other companies work on the same things... some with much more backing and a bigger head start. I'm not sure where BlackBerry is headed... at this point I don't see hardware in their future as you can only milk your fanbase for so long. I think if next ER we find out that the Passport and Classic did nothing to stop the decline in hardware sales, and if Service Revenues don't start showing a marked increase... you will find BlackBerry will become a very affordable company for someone to buy and then break up.

If they do sell a million Passports and maybe four million Classics and Service Revenues see a major jump... then all could go well for Chen and BlackBerry.
    12-19-14 10:54 AM

You have said exactly what I'am thinking. If there is not Carriers support until next quarter the sales number will be approximately the same or a little higher with the Classic but don't anybody expect Blackberry to increase their sales up to 2.5M devices or more.

Look at the number of sales in the US, it's freaking terrible! BB needs at least a good partnership with one of the big carrier in the US, ATT takes people for fools

Futhermore, they have 3 billions in cash right now it's now or never to use this amount to continue the acquisition of interesting companies and develop partnerships that can help the company's growth.
    12-19-14 11:39 AM
    I'm up $800 today on today's purchase of cheap BlackBerry shares. A lot of haters here sure spend a lot of time trying to convince us BlackBerry sucks. Their long winded misleading posts are comical and their questions to answers that they already know the answer is also comical. Thanks for the cheap shares shorts I am sure to make $1000 just today.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 11:58 AM
    Anyone selling BlackBerry shares this morning should not be in the market. It was obviously manipulated down. Shorts were screaming everywhere this morning. Now at $10 plus. BlackBerry is a steal.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 12:01 PM
    I'm up $800 today on today's purchase of cheap BlackBerry shares. A lot of haters here sure spend a lot of time trying to convince us BlackBerry sucks. Their long winded misleading posts are comical and their questions to answers that they already know the answer is also comical. Thanks for the cheap shares shorts I am sure to make $1000 just today.

Posted via CB10
    Knock yourself out....

BlackBerry hates America!
    12-19-14 12:06 PM
    Anyone selling BlackBerry shares this morning should not be in the market. It was obviously manipulated down. Shorts were screaming everywhere this morning. Now at $10 plus. BlackBerry is a steal.

Posted via CB10
    Anyone buying BBRY should not be in the market...buy something that have real potential like BABA or TSLA
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-19-14 12:21 PM

One could argue that all of the aforementioned discontinued devices contributed immensely to the 1.9 million in sales (should have been more), along with BB7 devices. It was mentioned that Blackberry sold-through 90% of back inventory, so although those devices weren't being manufactured any longer, the remaining inventory was still being sold and counted for this quarter. The problem is, even if Blackberry releases newer models, I don't think they will sell as well as the heavily discounted ones (eventhough the margins will be greater) that were discontinued and certainly not as well as the BB7 devices, so the future of hardware sales looks very challenging, to say the least.

As far as carriers jumping on board, one could argue that outside of the U.S., there are plenty of carriers that sell Blackberry phones, especially in their stronger markets, yet sales seem to still be declining. Carriers may help a little, but I don't think the general public will drive the demand and incentive for them to fully commit to carrying more Blackberry devices in an already crowded constant new inventory of Android devices from multiple manufacturers.
    mornhavon and sati01 like this.
    12-19-14 02:37 PM
    Hi guys,

Blackberry sold in a total of 7 million smartphones in the past 12 months (end Nov 30th). This is down 62% YOY.
    Total revenue has also decreased in the same period by 55% YOY.

I would expect shipments to decrease in this next quarter but not by much.

Please feel free to read my slightly more detailed report here which covers the UK market for Blackberry as well as overall worldwide scenario.

forums. digitalspy .co .uk /showthread.php?t=2034197

Can't post links as new member apparently.
    Last edited by AhmadCentral; 12-20-14 at 07:46 AM.
    12-19-14 05:07 PM
    One could argue that all of the aforementioned discontinued devices contributed immensely to the 1.9 million in sales (should have been more), along with BB7 devices. It was mentioned that Blackberry sold-through 90% of back inventory, so although those devices weren't being manufactured any longer, the remaining inventory was still being sold and counted for this quarter. The problem is, even if Blackberry releases newer models, I don't think they will sell as well as the heavily discounted ones (eventhough the margins will be greater) that were discontinued and certainly not as well as the BB7 devices, so the future of hardware sales looks very challenging, to say the least.

As far as carriers jumping on board, one could argue that outside of the U.S., there are plenty of carriers that sell Blackberry phones, especially in their stronger markets, yet sales seem to still be declining. Carriers may help a little, but I don't think the general public will drive the demand and incentive for them to fully commit to carrying more Blackberry devices in an already crowded constant new inventory of Android devices from multiple manufacturers.
    I agree. The ASP in FYQ3 was $180. Probably most of the devices sold were BB7 and discounted BB10. Chen seemed disappointed with the sales of the Z3.

In FYQ4 Passport and Classic have to drive the sales with retail prices of ~$600 and ~$450 respectively. So, sales should fall sharply the next quarter.
    12-19-14 06:37 PM
    I would say at least over 1 million cumulative sales of Passport and Classic next quarter.
    12-19-14 07:02 PM
    you can have all the carriers you want but if nobody buys it doesn't make a difference. when they had all four carriers nobody was buying them.until BB decide they they want consumers nothing will change. this one station I go to the clerk seen my phone and goes is that a blackberry are they still around. when they did the event for the PP wasn't nothing geared toward consumers. I think they want to just hold on to want they have. releasing the classic was to please already to customers
    12-19-14 08:46 PM
    But I think it's pretty clear that this is a two horse race... it just a matter of will BlackBerry and Microsoft stay in the race.
    Sounds like a prediction from 2011 that hasn't come true. I think that BlackBerry needs to have a device portfolio that includes a full touchscreen device, but the Passport and Classic and other keyboard-based devices are what they really need to gain market share (even if only enough to maintain profitability and make companies see that BB10 devices are more than capable enough to do what their employees need to do, ESPECIALLY w.r.t. the Web browser which is best of breed at this point.

Can sales of BB10 devices equal that of a Samsung flagship or an Apple launch? No. But there are lots of unhappy iOS and Android users who don't really KNOW that the device they really want is a BB10 device and would be delighted once they used one. So that's not an easy task, getting these users to realize they're really meant to be BlackBerry 10 users... but right now, BlackBerry is focused on enterprise / business, so let's give them a chance to execute on that plan before we lament that street urchins in emerging markets are buying $20 android crapsets.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    12-20-14 12:14 AM
    Hi guys,

Blackberry sold in a total of 7 million smartphones in the past 12 months (end Nov 30th). This is down 62% YOY.
    Total revenue has also decreased in the same period by 55% YOY.

I would expect shipments to increase in this next quarter but not by much.

Please feel free to read my slightly more detailed report here which covers the UK market for Blackberry as well as overall worldwide scenario.

forums. digitalspy .co .uk /showthread.php?t=2034197

Can't post links as new member apparently.
    No body can deny your numbers and the chill it is bringing on. But BBRY is moving away from device dependency or at least trying to. They need more BES 12 deployment to manage the vast iOS, Android and other devices out there in the wild and at the same time trying to push software like Blend, BBM Protected, Balance etc as productive features which can turn any toy to a tool. They may also humbly show their Passport and Classic wherever they can to push sales. That's it. And some regulated markets.

I'll delighted if you dig some MDM figures and their fleet strength for the past 5 years and see who stands where. That's where the vanilla is. :-)
    Last edited by KingOfQwerty; 12-20-14 at 12:34 AM. Reason: To escape grammar police
    12-20-14 12:30 AM
    No body can deny your numbers and the chill it is bringing on. But BBRY is moving away from device dependency or at least trying to....
    Because the OP's article states that BlackBerry device sales are responsible for 46% of BlackBerry's total take, I would say that the sales performance of BlackBerry devices remains a matter of intense interest.

As for Crackberry, most of us are here to talk about smartphones, so any talk of BlackBerry's exit from the smartphone arena would make us sad.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    12-20-14 01:19 AM
162 1234 ...