12-09-14 05:59 AM
43 12
tools
    Here's an interesting story about the downfall of BlackBerry in Indonesia. Saw this in the Globe and Mail, a Toronto daily newspaper. Sorry if this was posted yesterday and I just missed it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle21432165/
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 11-05-14 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Link adjusted.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-04-14 09:40 AM
    Or, if you can't access that link... How BlackBerry lost Indonesia

Definitely thought it was an interesting read - I'm curious if BlackBerry will ever become a force again in the SE Asian market.
    bbjdog likes this.
    11-04-14 09:48 AM
    Yeah was reading it online earlier today. Really sad. Its a story in a lot of other Asian markets where they ruled. India, Malaysia and Thailand as well.

Q10
    11-04-14 10:54 AM
    "But there were also other blunders. He said former BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins?s comment that they would exit the consumer market to focus on enterprise customers landed in Indonesia ? where the majority of customers were consumers ? like ?a bombshell? and ?destroyed them? here, creating anxiety among both wireless carrier clients"

Didn't JC say the same thing???

Isn't that still the message we get from BlackBerry?

BlackBerry hates America!
    11-04-14 01:21 PM
    "But there were also other blunders. He said former BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins?s comment that they would exit the consumer market to focus on enterprise customers landed in Indonesia ? where the majority of customers were consumers ? like ?a bombshell? and ?destroyed them? here, creating anxiety among both wireless carrier clients"

Didn't JC say the same thing???

Isn't that still the message we get from BlackBerry?

This is part of what makes the article so interesting to me. We have been hearing (and in many cases, regurgitating) all of these comments about BlackBerry having an enterprise focus, and other than our own opinions as BlackBerry fans I don't think many people realized the impact of such statements on BlackBerrys bread and butter markets!
    11-04-14 03:02 PM
    This is part of what makes the article so interesting to me. We have been hearing (and in many cases, regurgitating) all of these comments about BlackBerry having an enterprise focus, and other than our own opinions as BlackBerry fans I don't think many people realized the impact of such statements on BlackBerrys bread and butter markets!
    Well yeah, I think BlackBerry will still call out its focus upon enterprise. But I don't understand. Why would this lead to consumer anxiety? All I can think of, is that incentive to develop natively for BlackBerry will be even less, but I can't think of anything else. The phones will still be sold to consumers and they will still work fine for consumers. It's not like they will enforce BES for every BlackBerry phone.. Perhaps I am missing something, I really curious.
    11-05-14 05:34 AM
    Blackberry's Indonesian Troubles-img_20141105_065453.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and bbjdog like this.
    11-05-14 05:57 AM
    Here's an interesting story about the downfall of BlackBerry in Indonesia. Saw this in the Globe and Mail, a Toronto daily newspaper. Sorry if this was posted yesterday and I just missed it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/lack-of-global-knowledge-has-cost-blackberry-indonesia/article21432165/
    The Globe and Mail is not very friendly with BB,I've seen many articles ,that just don't seem like they like this Canadian Co.Probably have a beef with Prem.I really am wondering why they keep pumping out negative articles,couldn't they say that although BB has taken a hit there, that as the graph shows things are improving.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-05-14 06:16 AM
    The Globe and Mail is not very friendly with BB,I've seen many articles ,that just don't seem like they like this Canadian Co.Probably have a beef with Prem.I really am wondering why they keep pumping out negative articles,couldn't they say that although BB has taken a hit there, that as the graph shows things are improving.
    I read the article yesterday and I thought the first half was pretty good and fairly forthright in terms of mistakes. However, it turned into sour grapes at the end when the former employee they interviewed argued that sending BBM cross platform was yet another mistake. When I read this, I knew this guy was out to lunch and just ********. There were also a couple of other comments at the end (I think he talked about a free Z3 giveaways or something)that were just plain stupid and looked like filler.
    In the end Indonesia was one of the one markets that was flooded with cheap full screen Android devices. BlackBerry decided to push either the full price Z10/ Q10 and the cheap curves. That was the mistake. The Z3 is a value phone and step in the right direction. Strategically, BlackBerry has made a decision not to go the low end route and I do believe that is correct.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-05-14 07:10 AM
    Yup, it all comes down to the fact that they took too long to push out the Z and Q devices, and when they did,.. they were horrendously overpriced. They thought people would pay more for the BlackBerry brand, but that was just some outdated concept based on when there was nothing else and the few that even had psuedo-smart phones had no choice but to fork out.

With android sub $100 devices floating around, forget it. These markets are big, but they aren't particularly rich per capita. I would hope, for the sake of humanity, that people there would rather spend less on a smartphone if they can, so as to stretch the rest of their resources for more important needs (food, water, healthcare, education, transportation, shelter).

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-05-14 09:18 AM
    Well yeah, I think BlackBerry will still call out its focus upon enterprise. But I don't understand. Why would this lead to consumer anxiety? All I can think of, is that incentive to develop natively for BlackBerry will be even less, but I can't think of anything else. The phones will still be sold to consumers and they will still work fine for consumers. It's not like they will enforce BES for every BlackBerry phone.. Perhaps I am missing something, I really curious.
    Hmm, Verizon not selling the Passport.
    The Z30 being for Enterprise only for a few months.
    The realignment of BlackBerry World to Enterprise apps.
    T-MOBILE on the outs with BlackBerry.
    No new all touch phone.

The CEO saying BlackBerry is Enterprise focused.

What the heck else do you need for proof!!

11-05-14 09:33 AM
    I think the impact the article described was about the carrier support system getting alarmed by the BlackBerry comments, and how it made them antsy. The feeling I get is that the carriers felt slighted by BB and were no longer willing to support them; perhaps they felt abandoned by the company?
    11-05-14 09:40 AM
    I'm telling you, cross platform BBM was a huge part of this.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 05:23 PM
    Or, if you can't access that link... [BlackBerry and Indonesia/URL]

Definitely thought it was an interesting read - I'm curious if BlackBerry will ever become a force again in the SE Asian market.
    Your the best!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 11-05-14 at 06:49 PM.
    11-05-14 05:34 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141105_065453.jpg 
Views:	2580 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	312252

Posted via CB10
    Your the best!
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-05-14 06:47 PM
    Can't go a few minutes in Indonesia without seeing a blackberry. People have been buying androids but I have noticed they still clutch to their BBOS devices. You will notice at a bar/resturant they will pull out their android occasionaly.. jump on the Path check in.. take some selfies.. then grab their blackberry for the rest of the night texting. Samsung is going to get slammed here next year... generally everyone is pretty upset with their low end samsungs peformances. I think the chinese androids are going to take over. Blackberry will still sell high end, upper middle class have z10s, q10s and likely will love the passport. Indonesians in general are addicted to messaging.. and thats Blackberry's strong point.
    11-06-14 12:06 AM
    Can't go a few minutes in Indonesia without seeing a blackberry. People have been buying androids but I have noticed they still clutch to their BBOS devices. You will notice at a bar/resturant they will pull out their android occasionaly.. jump on the Path check in.. take some selfies.. then grab their blackberry for the rest of the night texting. Samsung is going to get slammed here next year... generally everyone is pretty upset with their low end samsungs peformances. I think the chinese androids are going to take over. Blackberry will still sell high end, upper middle class have z10s, q10s and likely will love the passport. Indonesians in general are addicted to messaging.. and thats Blackberry's strong point.
    You nailed it!

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 12:13 AM
    I see a lot of legacy BlackBerry OS devices, but not many BlackBerry 10. Indonesians still see BlackBerry the same way Americans do: it's slow, it frequently hangs, and it simply doesn't support features available in "smartphones"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    bbjdog likes this.
    11-09-14 01:52 AM
    I see a lot of legacy BlackBerry OS devices, but not many BlackBerry 10. Indonesians still see BlackBerry the same way Americans do: it's slow, it frequently hangs, and it simply doesn't support features available in "smartphones"

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    That's the way you see it, not Indonesia.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 10:51 AM
    That's the way you see it, not Indonesia.

Posted via CB10
    Me, my friends, my colleagues, and everybody that I see when I commute to work. I work in a software house specializing on creating mobile apps, and even my colleagues are still surprised when I run Asphalt 7 on my Z10, not because it can run it, but because there's a good game at all on BlackBerry. These are guys that deal with smartphones everyday.

If you don't believe me, then go to Indonesia and ask around. Find the casual users of BlackBerry and ask what they think.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    11-10-14 11:02 PM
    Heard similar stories out of friends at Cspire

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 11:52 PM
    Me, my friends, my colleagues, and everybody that I see when I commute to work. I work in a software house specializing on creating mobile apps, and even my colleagues are still surprised when I run Asphalt 7 on my Z10, not because it can run it, but because there's a good game at all on BlackBerry. These are guys that deal with smartphones everyday.

If you don't believe me, then go to Indonesia and ask around. Find the casual users of BlackBerry and ask what they think.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    That's what you use your BlackBerry phone for! A cell phone is a communication device, if I want games I have playstation.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 01:14 AM
    That's what you use your BlackBerry phone for! A cell phone is a communication device, if I want games I have playstation.

Posted via CB10
    Tools not toys, eh?

Posted from an ME173X
    mornhavon likes this.
    11-11-14 01:34 AM
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 01:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    Let's not bull**** each other: as far as "tools" go, Docs To Go for BlackBerry has less features than the ones for Android.

In this age, a smartphone is defined with its processing power. Not in terms of CPU or GPU, but in what you can do with it. Now what can you do with BlackBerry? I used Asphalt as an example because clearly such an app is impossible on legacy OS.

You say it's my opinion. Well ask casual Indonesians what they think about Path on BlackBerry, or Instagram, or LINE, or other social apps. Indonesians love social apps, that's what drew them to BBM in the first place: it's better than SMS. They have legacy OS and they don't have social apps that "other smartphones" have

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3442
    11-11-14 06:39 PM
43 12