06-25-17 08:17 PM
373 ... 678910 ...
tools
    I agree, and this is why I agree with BBRY not paying those ransoms.
    Problem is MS paid a ransom when they still didn't have their final product. At least with BlackBerry BB10.1, BB10.2 and BB10.3 all were fully compatible with one another. WP7, WP8, WP8.1, Windows 10... we all knew what they were working towards, no one wanted to buy a phone that wasn't compatible with next year's OS.

But in a way I agree, yes it would have been better if maybe the top 10 apps of 2013 had been available on BB10 at launch in 2013.....
    But the OS would still have been buggy... with it's auto reboot feature (which lead to auto returns).
    But the Z10 would still have had too small of a battery
    But the Q10 & Q5 didn't have a Tool Belt or even keyboard shortcuts.
    But BB10 didn't have BIS that made original BB popular in developing markets.
    And the Z10 would still have been overpriced for the hardware.

There was simply no hope of them having a success... even with apps, as they had too many other things wrong too.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-09-17 02:57 PM
    Problem is MS paid a ransom when they still didn't have their final product. At least with BlackBerry BB10.1, BB10.2 and BB10.3 all were fully compatible with one another. WP7, WP8, WP8.1, Windows 10... we all knew what they were working towards, no one wanted to buy a phone that wasn't compatible with next year's OS.
    Only now did BB introduce an update (10.3.3) that doesn't play nice with older/lower-end devices (Z10 STL100-1, Z3, Q5); that's more a sign of stagnant development than a commitment to backwards compatibility, though.
    01-09-17 03:12 PM
    Only now did BB introduce an update (10.3.3) that doesn't play nice with older/lower-end devices (Z10 STL100-1, Z3, Q5); that's more a sign of stagnant development than a commitment to backwards compatibility, though.
    Even Apple stops supporting some devices after 3.5 Years....

I still remember when we were talking about 64Bit BB10.... and if that would be the end of updates for the Gen 1 BB10 devices. That must of been one of the first development teams to be let go.....
    01-09-17 03:31 PM
    Even Apple stops supporting some devices after 3.5 Years....

I still remember when we were talking about 64Bit BB10.... and if that would be the end of updates for the Gen 1 BB10 devices. That must of been one of the first development teams to be let go.....
    They got around to it, but only for QNX 7.0 as far as I can tell. That was unveiled last week.

Funny enough, the BB10 system identifies itself (i.e. uname -a) as QNX 8.
    01-09-17 03:36 PM
    2005 was the time to start working on BBOS's replacement... with a launch windows of 2008 at the latest.
    Interesting. And BB10 launched with the Storm. Might have turned it all around then.
    01-10-17 05:23 AM

But in a way I agree, yes it would have been better if maybe the top 10 apps of 2013 had been available on BB10 at launch in 2013.....
    But the OS would still have been buggy... with it's auto reboot feature (which lead to auto returns).
    But the Z10 would still have had too small of a battery
    But the Q10 & Q5 didn't have a Tool Belt or even keyboard shortcuts.
    But BB10 didn't have BIS that made original BB popular in developing markets.
    And the Z10 would still have been overpriced for the hardware.

There was simply no hope of them having a success... even with apps, as they had too many other things wrong too.
    Your last paragraph sums it up well.
    01-10-17 11:19 AM
    Your last paragraph sums it up well.
    Back in the summer of 2012 Kevin had a Blog Post on the things BlackBerry HAD TO DO in order to successfully relaunch the smartphone business. They missed on just about every point, which is probably why Kevin lost interest, he couldn't believe they messed it up so badly.
    01-10-17 11:47 AM
    Back in the summer of 2012 Kevin had a Blog Post on the things BlackBerry HAD TO DO in order to successfully relaunch the smartphone business. They missed on just about every point, which is probably why Kevin lost interest, he couldn't believe they messed it up so badly.
    It's possible that BlackBerry leadership actually agreed, decided that they wouldn't be able to do it or that it would be too expensive, and decided to cut their losses and gradually get out the smartphones business.
    01-12-17 05:11 AM
    I hate Chen for that what he has done with BlackBerry.

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    Me too. I think Chen never liked BlackBerry. He did his best to destroy BlackBerry. Destroying BlackBerry was started first when they let android apps work on such a great platform. This action sent this message to the world that "hey BlackBerry is ready to be defeated". It is just like withdrawal of courage from a kid.

 BB10 can't die. It is healthy and young!
    01-12-17 05:17 AM
    It's possible that BlackBerry leadership actually agreed, decided that they wouldn't be able to do it or that it would be too expensive, and decided to cut their losses and gradually get out the smartphones business.
    BlackBerry leadership didn't have a clue... You don't invest several billion into building hardware that you don't expect to sell. Think they were very surprised by the lack of interest that the new platform got from consumers and enterprise alike. They just assumed that just like in 2007 and 2008 with iOS and Android, that the market would accept a beta product and support it... they were BlackBerry.
    StephanieMaks, Bbnivende and DonHB like this.
    01-12-17 07:29 AM
    BlackBerry leadership didn't have a clue... You don't invest several billion into building hardware that you don't expect to sell. Think they were very surprised by the lack of interest that the new platform got from consumers and enterprise alike. They just assumed that just like in 2007 and 2008 with iOS and Android, that the market would accept a beta product and support it... they were BlackBerry.
    I would go one further and say they not only assumed the market would accept a beta product but that everyone using iOS/Android were former BlackBerry users that were merely biding their time waiting for BlackBerry to release it so they could return to using a BlackBerry, and we can lay that at the feet of the pre-2013 era employees who were used to the name doing the work for them.
    01-12-17 10:16 AM
    Agree... 2013 was just too late in the smartphone market to launch a whole new OS. Which is why the half dozen or so "new" operating systems that have launched for 2010 onward have pretty much died out or are barely on life support. If Samsung didn't have other types of devices to push TIZEN, I doubt it would be still around. Microsoft has shown that throwing money at the problem doesn't fix it.

2005 was the time to start working on BBOS's replacement... with a launch windows of 2008 at the latest.

BBOS was outselling BB10 for ages. BB10 wasn't even worth looking at prior to 10.2.

The Bold 9900 came out in 2012 didn't it? And it's still a nice phone.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-12-17 11:00 AM
    BBOS was outselling BB10 for ages. BB10 wasn't even worth looking at prior to 10.2.

The Bold 9900 came out in 2012 didn't it? And it's still a nice phone.
    2011, although there was that one restart of production in 2014 for whatever reason.
    01-12-17 11:01 AM
    2011, although there was that one restart of production in 2014 for whatever reason.
    The reason was that after 3 years, BB had sold out of 9900s, but they had a few big enterprise/government customers who were still on BES5 and needed replacement phones to get them through their transition phase (which in most cases was a transition to iPhones and a competing EMM).

They were willing to buy enough phones at a price that could justify another small production run. Lots of companies will pay for things like that when their internal upgrade process is really slow - just like the Navy paying Microsoft for extended WinXP support because their upgrade process was years behind.
    01-12-17 02:35 PM
    Why would BB spend R&D on a platform they're not pushing to come out with a new device?

Especially when the Passport runs BB10 better than top Androids, so fast and fluid.

Hell my Q10 runs BB10 better than my Priv runs Android. And the Q10 is on a 2011 chipset. I'm really going to miss BB10.
    01-15-17 10:08 PM

the Passport runs BB10 better than top Androids

my Q10 runs BB10 better than my Priv runs Android
    01-15-17 10:20 PM
    That's not even a joke. I rarely had to deal with lag on my Q10.
    01-15-17 10:28 PM
    That's not even a joke. I rarely had to deal with lag on my Q10.
    Q10 must got some magic to it, my daughter age 20 holding on to her 4 year old Q10, even rejects my offer for a brand new Classic because of the small size of the Q10.
    a Droid or iPlonker was never asked for even that all her friends got this lifestyle devices, my daughters main wish for a mobile was PKB and small size anything else was right out of question even now.
    I even offeret her a new PRIV, Passport and Classic as choice but no, she insists to stick with her beloved Q10, a Bolt 9900 with OS10 would be her dream device for sure but not full touch or larger than a Q10 :-)
    What can I do? can't help it...
    Yep she is using this Q10 straight through since 4 years as a teenager and heavy user that must count something, had a Curve 8320 for a few months before that and it was a fight to get her on to BB10 at the time but now, no way she would surrender her Q10.

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 01-16-17 at 06:58 AM.
    ezubeBB2013 likes this.
    01-16-17 06:30 AM
    The reason was that after 3 years, BB had sold out of 9900s, but they had a few big enterprise/government customers who were still on BES5 and needed replacement phones to get them through their transition phase (which in most cases was a transition to iPhones and a competing EMM).

They were willing to buy enough phones at a price that could justify another small production run. Lots of companies will pay for things like that when their internal upgrade process is really slow - just like the Navy paying Microsoft for extended WinXP support because their upgrade process was years behind.

Hear Hear!

So, can we expect another production run for BB10 in 2018 under certain circumstances?
    01-19-17 03:59 AM
    Hear Hear!

So, can we expect another production run for BB10 in 2018 under certain circumstances?
    No...
    Unless you live in Bizarro World.
    01-19-17 04:51 AM
    No...
    Unless you live in Bizarro World.
    Um, I think we should talk again, when I hold a brand new Z50 in my hands!
    01-19-17 05:33 AM
    Hear Hear!

don't tell me you won the lotto last night! dash all my hopes.
    01-19-17 07:23 AM
    Um, I think we should talk again, when I hold a brand new Z50 in my hands!
    … and they never spoke again.
    01-19-17 08:55 AM
    The most modern BB10 phone out is the Passport, and it's almost 2-1/2 years old at this point..... if they were going to do a new BB10 phone, what are they waiting for?

If they were going to release a new BB10 phone... what's the purpose in TCL hoping to sell to that same small niche market with their licensed phone? There just isn't room for BB10 and BlackBerry Android in that market.
    01-19-17 09:13 AM
    … and they never spoke again.
    You guys can be really so pessimistic.

I still have hope that bizzare entities (like the Navy or even more bizarre!) will pay for a small production run of a new BB10 device and that BlackBerry will hopefully take out the blueprints folder for the Z50 to do that.
    And yeah, the device would be shipped with OS 10.3.5.
    01-19-17 09:19 AM
373 ... 678910 ...