12-05-17 10:31 AM
409 ... 1314151617
tools

BIS features are what made BlackBerry a superior product "back in the day", BB10 didn't have that its better than everyone else feature (other than security). And the negatives outweighed that one positive, at least for most users.

I think they ditch it cause no one wanted to have to pay for it. Not the carriers, not the users. We know the benefits of BIS, but maybe the majority of the users just didn't understand why pay for a service that any other phone has included on the basic plan.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 STA100-5
    02-09-17 12:32 PM
    I think they ditch it cause no one wanted to have to pay for it. Not the carriers, not the users. We know the benefits of BIS, but maybe the majority of the users just didn't understand why pay for a service that any other phone has included on the basic plan.

Not to mention BIS' bandwidth would not pair well with modern smartphones.

Imagine the world's video and audio streaming, and high-bandwidth websites all trying to squeeze through the poor BlackBerry NOC? Impossible.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-09-17 12:37 PM

BlackBerry didn't lose their edge when they dropped BIS and didn't include it in BB10.... they lost their edge when Activesync came to all platforms. From that point everyone had instant email, and everyone's battery life improved. And the problem was they also had a fast browser and those silly apps..... along with much shorter hardware development times.

That said... I do think BlackBerry failed to understand with the "developing market" saw in BlackBerry devices, and total failed to deliver anything they could be interested in. If they couldn't save money on the PLANS and data usage.... they would save it on device cost.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-09-17 01:18 PM
    They should've gone native only with about 25000 apps, all native including all big names no matter the cost. What they did cost them more in the end.

Posted via CB10
    if you surrender to the black mail, the leche just going to jump on you and suck the blood dry... BB paid a lot of money for the patent troll, i don't believe they have that much left for pay all the dev (besides, they did pay a lot for someone to port the droid and a lot of money to market the elephant, alicia key and U2, etc.).
    02-09-17 03:32 PM
    Edit required.
    02-09-17 10:38 PM
    There's always hope for BB10. After all, even webOS still lives on - in a refrigerator.

Attachment 417021

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4...ounce-ces-2017
    Haha. But do they have enough devs to put bb10 in a fridge?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 06:35 PM
    Haha. But do they have enough devs to put bb10 in a fridge?

Posted via CB10
    you don't need much to put it in car...
    02-14-17 07:51 AM
    you don't need much to put it in car...

Very Cool.....

But someone pointed out years ago... you get caught with a non-factory "infotainment" system that doesn't meet NHTSA requirements. Your insurance company probably has a disclaimer..... as lots of people were using other tablets (that are even more functional).
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-14-17 09:22 AM
    Let us know how it goes, as I think many here have at least wondered......
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12767893
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-17-17 04:33 AM
    It ********. And so simple... make steal reverse engineer a BBOS android hybrid. I'd do it myself but I have to take out the garbage then the flower beds need some work....

Posted via CB10
    Thaefner18 likes this.
    03-14-17 12:44 AM
    Android was Chen's strategy from the beginning.

https://www.cnet.com/news/inside-bla...-with-android/
    Blame his wife's Samsung... she let him fiddle with it for too long... ;-D

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-16-17 09:58 PM
    I have some other news...it's been dead since they started producing BlackDroids. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
    03-16-17 10:02 PM
  13. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Hope never died

 BlackBerry Passport SE SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2205
    03-16-17 10:22 PM
    Every developer knows how the development of BB10 OS instantly slowed down right after Mr. Chen came to BBRY. There were huge development plans and far-reaching roadmaps even just a month before that, but since he came it was just to finish the (already in the works at that time) 10.3 / 10.3.1 release and then only maintain it with small updates. Also, since Mr. Chen arrived there were actually no truly new BB10 phones designed from scratch, not a single one. The Passport was already in the works before he came, so he just allowed to finish and release it. The Passport SE was just a rehoused Passport. The Leap was mostly a rehoused Z10 with bigger screen and battery. And so on. All models except for the Passport got stuck forever with the dual-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon from AD 2012.

Let's face it: he must have come to BBRY with a mission to convert it to Android since day one, if right from the start he did what he did to BB10 OS development and suppressed any hardware upgrades.

Remind yourselves how in just 2013 alone the OS progressed from 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.2.1, and 10.3 was already in the works, and how then it just died (it took ~3 years to progress from 10.3.1 to 10.3.3)

And let's not forget that he came already in November 2013, while the first BB10 phone, the Z10, came out only in the beginning of 2013. So the platform did not have even just ONE YEAR to spread its wings before it got suppressed.

Sad but true.

Stephen Elop's twin, just more smart and cunning.
    Chen was tasked with killing BB10. Probably American intelligence asset.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-17 01:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    ?

I wish someone would hire me to do a job that was pretty much already completed before I got there....

Chen was "tasked" with preventing shareholders from losing EVERYTHING.... which is what they would have done if things had continued even just a couple more quarters. Go look at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd finical statements for fiscal 2014 (JUNE, SEPT, DEC 2013), things had to change.
    04-11-17 02:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-11-17 10:21 PM
    Now the BlackBerry "Spark" also is part of history!
    R.I.P.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-17 04:34 PM
    From the point of view of an investor (which I am not) Chen has done a pretty good job. From a non enterprise consumer point of view Chen has done a poor job, even with the tcl devices
    06-25-17 03:47 PM
    From the point of view of an investor (which I am not) Chen has done a pretty good job. From a non enterprise consumer point of view Chen has done a poor job, even with the tcl devices
    Who cares? It's wasn't Chen's job. BlackBerry and Chen are responsible to shareholders and software customers in current lines of business.
    06-25-17 04:50 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;12939580]Who cares? It's wasn't Chen's job. BlackBerry and Chen are responsible to shareholders and software customers in current lines of business.[/QUOTE
    The point is most people on crackberry don't care about the Enterprise software, they just want good devices
    06-25-17 07:46 PM
    [QUOTE=Thaefner18;12939727]
    Who cares? It's wasn't Chen's job. BlackBerry and Chen are responsible to shareholders and software customers in current lines of business.[/QUOTE
    The point is most people on crackberry don't care about the Enterprise software, they just want good devices
    If Chen made you and your likeminded happy, the company would have been done with hardware even sooner and no longer in business within couple of years ago.
    06-25-17 07:53 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;12939731]

If Chen made you and your likeminded happy, the company would have been done with hardware even sooner and no longer in business within couple of years ago.
    Well nonetheless it's still a shame, especially to watch something as great as BB10 slowly die, which wasn't greatly successful because of large app developers. There is more bad news f
    06-25-17 08:15 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;12939731]

Well nonetheless it's still a shame, especially to watch something as great as BB10 slowly die, which wasn't greatly successful because of large app developers. There is more bad news for the software profit providing side as Toyota has dropped QNX
    06-25-17 08:17 PM
    We tend to ignore the larger issue. By January 2013, there was a market for great new phones and for cheap phones but little market for a new OS.

This is still pretty much true today.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...Q6mei_DsTuHjMQ
    They should have launched in 2012 Absolute Minimum. At that time, they had sizable market share. Waiting another year killed the company. Not to mention. Utter garbage Marketing and releasing 2 year old Spec'ed phones for a premium.

BB10 remains the leader in modernization and is technologically superior over anything today. Unfortunately the majority will never know this.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-17 04:46 PM
    They should have launched in 2012 Absolute Minimum. At that time, they had sizable market share. Waiting another year killed the company. Not to mention. Utter garbage Marketing and releasing 2 year old Spec'ed phones for a premium.
    2012 was already three years too late. If they didn't have something ready to go in 2009, they still would have lost to Android and iOS.

BB10 remains the leader in modernization and is technologically superior over anything today.
    [citation needed]
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-08-17 04:52 PM
409 ... 1314151617