12-05-17 11:31 AM
409 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    I think we should be more optimistic about BlackBerry 10 and stop any negative discussions for the sake of keeping faith on this wonderful os.

Posted via CB10
    Well give us some reasons to be optimistic.....

FACT that they pretty much ended BB10 development almost two years ago... isn't very encouraging.
    FACT that their hasn't been a new phone Announced in over two years, and that all existing phones are EOL.... isn't too promising.
    FACT that they sent out letters to developers that pretty much said "this is it".... didn't sound very hopeful.
    FACT that the Android Runtime is over three years old and is seeing less and less support from developers these day..... sure isn't a ray of sunshine.

I guess it is very optimistic that BlackBerry is still up and running, which means that the authorization servers that BB10 needs to operate are still running.
    02-06-17 08:28 AM
    I've already started "Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10" on Windows Central
    Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10 - Windows Central Forums
    Just ordered a used unlocked 950XL and display dock. Should have it delivered in a couple days. Put my money where my mouth is and going to experiment with WM10. I might start the comparison thread.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-06-17 12:12 PM
    Let us know how it goes.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-06-17 12:47 PM
    Just ordered a used unlocked 950XL and display dock. Should have it delivered in a couple days. Put my money where my mouth is and going to experiment with WM10. I might start the comparison thread.
    Let us know how it goes, as I think many here have at least wondered......
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-06-17 01:05 PM
    Let us know how it goes, as I think many here have at least wondered......
    When I get it, verify it works and accepts my sim, I'll start a comparison thread. My approach will be objective.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-06-17 01:24 PM
    My approach will be objective.
    That could break the site!
    02-06-17 09:05 PM
    When I get it, verify it works and accepts my sim, I'll start a comparison thread. My approach will be objective.
    I will add 5 cents with mine... but I will get a new one.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-07-17 05:05 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is still useful.

I will tell you why.
    Thaefner18 likes this.
    02-07-17 08:09 AM

I will tell you why.
    Bb10 is just like BBOS now. Soon it will be dead oFficially.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 12:56 PM

I will tell you why.
    It is still useful, but for most not useful enough. As time marches on, the number it's useful for shall do nothing but continue to diminish.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-07-17 10:28 PM
    It is still useful, but for most not useful enough. As time marches on, the number it's useful for shall do nothing but continue to diminish.
    And this not our fault. I for one, did my best to support the platform.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-08-17 01:03 AM
    But don't see the point of jumping from a dead horse to one that has a broken leg and isn't long for this world. For now iOS or Android are really the only options.... and the sooner some here realize that and join the modern smartphone world.... the better off you'll probably be. And if you want that to be a BlackBerry with a little extra protection, sooner is much better than later.
    I won't willingly buy into android or ios until I have no other choice. I refuse to get locked into the ios ecosystem and until android apps in general and google specifically is spy free, I won't use either OS unless I absolutely have to. I've heard that android version whatever has the ability to deny permissions for apps, but it's still google and I'm sure somehow they're gathering your info. I don't have anything to hide, but I still don't want my personal and private info being accessed.
    02-08-17 09:27 AM
    I looked at the 950XL and it looks like an impressive phone. Two main items in the specs that caught my eye were the wireless charging and 3340 mAh replaceable battery. The main problem I've had with phones in the past is the charge port fails and you can no longer charge the battery unless you happen to have a charging dock that also charges a spare battery like what was available for the Z10. I wish my Z30 had wireless charging but the only Z30 that did was built for Verizon.

BB10 works for me because there are not many apps that aren't in BBW that I need, and for most of those that I do need I can use their mobile website to do what I need. There are a couple that I installed from the google play store but one of them just gives basic information without google play services and the other was a banking app just for the convenience of depositing checks from my phone. I know cobalt has a patch for those apps that require google play services, but I tried it twice before getting lost as to what I needed to do.
    Last edited by zx9r170; 02-08-17 at 10:08 AM.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-08-17 09:47 AM
    I know cobalt has a patch for those apps that require google play services, but I tried it twice before getting lost as to what I needed to do.
    Cobalt's solution was so simple compared to having to download APK (safely - not just via some storage site), obtain a developer key from BlackBerry, then port the APK to a BAR file and then Sideload it. But yeah some don't get that lot's of folks are overcome by the idea of installing just Cobalt's Google Play Store (three apps). The idea of patching other apps, is just too much to consider.

Glad you don't need many of the modern apps that are out there.... me, I'm so glad I made the move to a modern device on a OS that is current and fully supported. Because you can't even go to Disney World with out using an APP - and no a Patched one doesn't work.
    02-08-17 02:54 PM
    I did all the sideloading on my old Playbook but my favourite time was when Snap came out. That worked great for a time. What also worked fine for me was to simply email the APK from my Android tablet. I did take the Colbalt plunge but I could not patch any of the Apps because I lack a PC. I am not sure that having a PC would have helped.

Still, I am eternally grateful to Cobalt for giving us the BlackBerry VKB. I use it along with the BlackBerry paid suite and IMO the apps work great on my Samsung.

My Z10 is still being used as a WIFI mini tablet. So much so that I never use my Nexus Tablet . As long as the browser chugs along, I will keep using it.
    02-08-17 05:15 PM
    The clearest evidence, was the hoops that needed jumped through, in order to install an apk in the early BB10 versions.

I agree CrapWorld was a mess, but I don't think it was impossible to find the quality apps. Furthermore, BlackBerry knew without a full store, with big names contained, they would never attract consumers. What were they to do, but push hard at porting? Not sure where you get your statistics on Google Play either, and would love some examples of quality apps with zero downloads from there.

There were so many glaring reasons for BB10's failure by early 2013, pontificating about minutia is rather pointless. Nearly as pointless as dreaming there's still a future, or believing those who have accepted reality are haters.
    They should've gone native only with about 25000 apps, all native including all big names no matter the cost. What they did cost them more in the end.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 06:08 PM
    And this not our fault. I for one, did my best to support the platform.
    Me too. Bought a BlackBerry 10 device every year since launch. Z10, 30, SE and Classic. A lot of people did. What more can one do? Buy 10 phones a year? I love BlackBerry, but it's not a charity. I will be buying one of their Android offerings though.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-08-17 06:15 PM
    They should've gone native only with about 25000 apps, all native including all big names no matter the cost. What they did cost them more in the end.

Posted via CB10
    So they should have never launched BB10? They should have waited till the OS wasn't a buggy, limited mess, but more delays would probably have killed it quicker.
    02-08-17 09:37 PM
    We tend to ignore the larger issue. By January 2013, there was a market for great new phones and for cheap phones but little market for a new OS.

This is still pretty much true today.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...Q6mei_DsTuHjMQ
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-08-17 11:16 PM
    but I still don't want my personal and private info being accessed.
    You might not wanna use any mobile platform though.
    02-09-17 03:32 AM
    but I still don't want my personal and private info being accessed.
    You might not wanna use any mobile platform though.
    Or the internet. Or credit cards. Or pay taxes. Or have a driver's license.
    02-09-17 08:35 AM
    So they should have never launched BB10? They should have waited till the OS wasn't a buggy, limited mess, but more delays would probably have killed it quicker.
    I think the delays back in Dec 2011 when they "said" there were delays in chip manufacturing that would push them back to the summer/fall of 2012 was the one that really soured a lot of enterprise customers. As it came on the heels of the PlayBook disaster for BlackBerry... this new platform just wasn't shaping up as had originally been promised.

Maybe if they had been smarter and launched it as a "beta" product for enterprise, with the full product for later in the year? But in the end, Enterprise, Consumers and Developers had already moved on.... If BB10 had been launched in 2010 without the first bug.... no developer support would have still doomed it.
    BigBadWulf and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-09-17 09:33 AM
    Still very useful at time of writing.
    02-09-17 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hindsight is 20/20..... What is clear from what Microsoft did, is that BlackBerry didn't offer enough.

But looking back, yes even if they only had the top 50 of the biggest apps, they would have been better off than with the 100's of thousands they had at launch. And yes even if they had to spend $2 Billion on those 50 apps it would have been a bargain.

But in the end... hardware was so-so, prices weren't competitive and the OS was Buggy and the Brand was damaged... even with Apps, not sure BB10 would have lasted.

BIS features are what made BlackBerry a superior product "back in the day", BB10 didn't have that its better than everyone else feature (other than security). And the negatives outweighed that one positive, at least for most users.
    02-09-17 12:00 PM
    Cobalt's solution was so simple compared to having to download APK (safely - not just via some storage site), obtain a developer key from BlackBerry, then port the APK to a BAR file and then Sideload it. But yeah some don't get that lot's of folks are overcome by the idea of installing just Cobalt's Google Play Store (three apps). The idea of patching other apps, is just too much to consider..
    I have all three of cobalt's files downloaded on my phone and running, but his patch to get the apps that need google play services to run properly is what I can't get to work. Maybe I'm over complicating it, but I just couldn't get it done. For most of the apps I had installed I just logged onto their mobile site and added it to my home screen. Now I have a better working "app" right on my home screen that saves me time over opening my browser, going into my bookmarks, scrolling to whatever website I'm looking for, and then opening it. Of course the bank app that I have doesn't allow deposits from their website, so I'm either stuck with their android app or I delete it and just make sure I get to the bank for my deposits. The only other remaining android app I had was Offerup and I deleted my account because I was not getting any serious offers on my Z10 with Seidio case, 32 gb micro SDHC card, and two screen protectors, and no offers on the starter I bought for my daughter's car and didn't get to install before she moved away. Any bidders here? lol
    02-09-17 01:27 PM
409 ... 1213141516 ...