12-05-17 11:31 AM
409 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    20 apps sounds like a decent amount only as long as they happen to be the apps that you want. But, what BlackBerry paid for BB10 versions of Amazon Prime Video but not Neflix, or Lyft but not Uber, or Chase but not Bank of America, Skype but not Snapchat, Instagram but not FaceBook, Waze but not Google Maps, 4square but not Yelp, Stitcher but not Audible, CNN streaming but not ESPN. Every list of 20 essential apps has several deal-breakers for just about anyone. So, don't think you can stop at 20 essential apps. Try 100.
    Exactly. A thousand really.

Local banks. Library systems. Parent/teacher apps. Religious apps.

And so on...

The only places I've seen folks complain of the, uh hard work of searching for apps are on BlackBerry and WinPhone forums. Most places consider it a huge plus.
    BigBadWulf and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-02-17 08:40 PM
    I was responding to your question about stickers but you can cross platform call to both BBM and BBM Enterprise on BB10.

Start a BBM Enterprise video chat - BBM Enterprise for Android - 1.0

You can't video chat (it defaults to voice as noted above).
    Nice try, buster.
    02-03-17 05:33 AM
    What's crazy high? Half dozen developers (how hard is it to port an Android app - we use to do it in a few minutes) and support staff, equipment, office space,.... maybe $5 million a year? Say double that and make it $10 Million for Netflix and then say they want two years up front so make it $20 Million. So it would cost BlackBerry $500 Million to get the top 25 apps on the BB10 platform at launch and for the next two years.... sounds pretty cheap to me (in hindsight).

And I say in hindsight, but really BlackBerry should have KNOW they needed to put forth some effort to attract developers. BBOS had what 80Million users and wasn't getting support, even if they had sold 20 million phones that first year... that still would not have been enough to attract these developers. Plus BlackBerry saw first hand with the BETA release of what would become BB10... the PlayBook got almost no interest from Developers.

But as I said before.... even with apps, BlackBerry would have had a difficult time competing.
    I think BB really thought that users who had BBs in the past, but switched to other platforms, were just waiting for BB to release a modern phone and they would come back. They hoped to sell a lot of BB10 devices and grow organically from there in terms of apps.

Windows phone had and has native and official apps for both netflix and facebook. I am sure they paid a lot of money for both, and it still didn't help then sell much more.
    02-03-17 08:33 AM
    I think BB really thought that users who had BBs in the past, but switched to other platforms, were just waiting for BB to release a modern phone and they would come back. They hoped to sell a lot of BB10 devices and grow organically from there in terms of apps.

Windows phone had and has native and official apps for both netflix and facebook. I am sure they paid a lot of money for both, and it still didn't help then sell much more.
    But BlackBerry devices never had the latest specs., best cameras or that other stuff.
    It was that whole experience that kept people with their BlackBerrys.
    That efficiency, "no messing around" and getting things done, privacy, no worries about viruses, the whole UI was minimalistic awesome!

People switched FROM BlackBerry away because the old BBOS (7.x & prior) were not really usable anymore in the real world.
    The old OS was not made for that multimedia consumption - which is fundamental even with normal websites.

Instead of spending millions for THAT superbowl ad and Alicia Keys they should have taken that money and invested in social media apps.

As far as I know - Justin Bieber reached out to BlackBerry and wanted to promote it for free BlackBerry supply and BlackBerry declined.
    Even that would have been a better marketing than what they did.

Then re-re-reusing that old chipset from the Galaxy S3 into 2015.

That's not how you get fans.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 09:00 AM

Yeah I think BlackBerry never really taught there would be an issue getting BBOS users to simply upgrade.....

The transition from BBOS and BES5 to BB10 and BES10 were poorly implemented..... almost like no taught was given to trying to keep customers from even considering other platforms.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-03-17 09:14 AM
    Yeah I think BlackBerry never really taught there would be an issue getting BBOS users to simply upgrade.....

The transition from BBOS and BES5 to BB10 and BES10 were poorly implemented..... almost like no taught was given to trying to keep customers from even considering other platforms.
    I think lack of BIS support had a lot to do with it, along with as you said, poor implementation, including the OS itself and Link.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-03-17 09:19 AM
    But BlackBerry devices never had the latest specs., best cameras or that other stuff.
    That efficiency, "no messing around" and getting things done, privacy, no worries about viruses, the whole UI was minimalistic awesome!

People switched FROM BlackBerry away because the old BBOS (7.x & prior) were not really usable anymore in the real world.
    The old OS was not made for that multimedia consumption - which is fundamental even with normal websites.

Instead of spending millions for THAT superbowl ad and Alicia Keys they should have taken that money and invested in social media apps.

As far as I know - Justin Bieber reached out to BlackBerry and wanted to promote it for free BlackBerry supply and BlackBerry declined.
    Even that would have been a better marketing than what they did.

Then re-re-reusing that old chipset from the Galaxy S3 into 2015.

Posted via CB10
    All the features you listed are value-added features that may swing your decision if it's a really close call. For most people they are not main selling points for BB devices.

I consider that even in the BBOS era, those were not main selling points of the device. A BBOS device did what other devices could and then added these features on top of that. At that moment in time it still was an OS battle. Then it became an ecosystem battle; OS features came second and app availability was first.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-03-17 09:20 AM

They had nothing remotely modern to keep users from switching. The difference between BBOS and iOS/Android in terms of features and apps was growing very fast. What would you have done to keep a BBOS users from switching to iOS/Android between 2010 and 2013?

Between 2010 and 2013, BB was still selling millions of BBOS phones per quarter, but mostly in developing markets. The western markets their sales were going down.
    02-03-17 09:29 AM
    Now they're about to kill off BlackBerry Travel. Chen hasn't said a word about this yet!

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.3.1435
    02-03-17 09:32 AM
    You made it to CB Master before buggin out. That's somethin.
    Slash82 likes this.
    02-03-17 09:39 AM
    Now they're about to kill off BlackBerry Travel. Chen hasn't said a word about this yet!

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.3.1435
    What's to say, the company that provided the data is not going to do it anymore.... it's kinda out of BlackBerry's hands.
    02-03-17 09:43 AM
    Bb10 is dead, no matter if BlackBerry or Chen or the Bloggers who keeps saying BlackBerry is committed to bb10 are all lying. BlackBerry10 was dead the day they went Android, all the bloggers will keep on saying 'oh BlackBerry haven't ditched bb10 they are still committed to it, are all false statements,

How are they committed to bb10, just because we can still make phone calls, send sms and receive emails, is that all?

BlackBerry10 is dead. No matter what. Enjoy your Bb10 devices
    Mercury looks cool but sorry BlackBerry android nope atleast for me.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly. When I can no longer use a BB10 phone I will seriously be looking at a Windows phone. The more I read about the Surface phone the more I like it, I just hope it isn't out of my price range.
    Tim-ANC and Kot Prada like this.
    02-03-17 10:10 AM
    If it's a SURFACE Phone.... it will be expensive! Haven't seen any of the rumors that don't scream ultra-flagship, and expensive. Don't know your price range, but if you are making that qualifier.....

But don't see the point of jumping from a dead horse to one that has a broken leg and isn't long for this world. For now iOS or Android are really the only options.... and the sooner some here realize that and join the modern smartphone world.... the better off you'll probably be. And if you want that to be a BlackBerry with a little extra protection, sooner is much better than later.
    02-03-17 11:18 AM
    If it's a SURFACE Phone.... it will be expensive! Haven't seen any of the rumors that don't scream ultra-flagship, and expensive. Don't know your price range, but if you are making that qualifier.....

But don't see the point of jumping from a dead horse to one that has a broken leg and isn't long for this world. For now iOS or Android are really the only options.... and the sooner some here realize that and join the modern smartphone world.... the better off you'll probably be. And if you want that to be a BlackBerry with a little extra protection, sooner is much better than later.
    The Windows surface phone, more myth than reality at the moment, is alleged to have ARM architecture. The idea is that it will run full Win OS, not just a mobile version. If it comes to fruition, it has potential to be a game changer.

Price range? Better start saving now.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-03-17 01:25 PM
    The Windows surface phone, more myth than reality at the moment, is alleged to have ARM architecture. The idea is that it will run full Win OS, not just a mobile version. If it comes to fruition, it has potential to be a game changer.

I have a Surface Tablet and love it... but I would not buy a Surface phone, because the Windows Store is fading - things are worse now than they were two years ago. A Surface Tablet or even a Surface Phone would make a great companion device to a phone that had all the mobile apps. But I don't think a full Windows Phone is going to have what mobile users today want.

But yeah... there have been rumors of a "Surface Phone" for a very long time now. I think MS knows it would have a limited market without mobile apps. I think they have been hoping that Windows 10 userbase would be enough to tempt many of these developers.... but it hasn't working (so far).
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-03-17 02:17 PM
    Because specs didn't matter with own OS. But now, with Android, specs mainly determine device positioning (unlike for Apple, BB10 or W10 devices).
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-04-17 08:57 AM

Yes, first 6 months price tags for Surface phone will be really high. Also, it's release will be minimum after 6 months... therefore, I decided to get 950XL to substitute BB10 before Surface Phone. I am pretty sure, it will do it's job for that 1-2 years.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-04-17 09:00 AM
    Yes, first 6 months price tags for Surface phone will be really high. Also, it's release will be minimum after 6 months... therefore, I decided to get 950XL to substitute BB10 before Surface Phone. I am pretty sure, it will do it's job for that 1-2 years.
    When did you get the 950XL? I just tried to buy one at the refurb shop today. Only had one, and it was carrier locked.
    Still on this mission. How do you like it?
    02-04-17 01:32 PM
    When did you get the 950XL? I just tried to buy one at the refurb shop today. Only had one, and it was carrier locked.
    Still on this mission. How do you like it?
    Just found two 950XL for a reasonable price... but Single Sim. Now thinking about my need of Double Sim, since I've never used two sims and I already have two phone numbers on one sim.

But now I am realizing that I'm risking with that my "thinking"
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-05-17 09:00 AM
    Just found two 950XL for a reasonable price... but Single Sim. Now thinking about my need of Double Sim, since I've never used two sims and I already have two phone numbers on one sim.

But now I am realizing that I'm risking with that my "thinking"
    I have a couple in my sights now. Plan to pull the trigger tomorrow. I didn't know there were dual sim models until I started shopping for them. Would be quite useful to me since I'm in Ireland temporarily on an AT&T sim. Those cost more though.

You should start a thread 'Passport vs Lumia 950XL'. I'll join you shortly.
    02-05-17 10:02 AM
    There's always hope for BB10. After all, even webOS still lives on - in a refrigerator.

BlackBerry10 is(!) dead!-lg_smart_fridge_ces_chris_welch.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4...ounce-ces-2017
    02-05-17 03:51 PM
    I have a couple in my sights now. Plan to pull the trigger tomorrow. I didn't know there were dual sim models until I started shopping for them. Would be quite useful to me since I'm in Ireland temporarily on an AT&T sim. Those cost more though.

You should start a thread 'Passport vs Lumia 950XL'. I'll join you shortly.
    I've already started "Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10" on Windows Central
    Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10 - Windows Central Forums
    02-06-17 07:26 AM
    I think we should be more optimistic about BlackBerry 10 and stop any negative discussions for the sake of keeping faith on this wonderful os.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 08:12 AM
    I've already started "Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10" on Windows Central
    Windows 10 after BlackBerry 10 - Windows Central Forums
    Copy that, will meet you there
    02-06-17 08:18 AM
    I think we should be more optimistic about BlackBerry 10 and stop any negative discussions for the sake of keeping faith on this wonderful os.

Posted via CB10
    Did BlackBerry keep faith with you?
    02-06-17 08:19 AM
409 ... 1112131415 ...