12-05-17 11:31 AM
409 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Yeah, I feel that knife deep in my back and still hear his words:
    "Fully committed to OS10!" and some kind of evil laughs...

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha ha Good one

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 10:02 AM
    Que no!!! BlackBerry no muere ya veréis.
    02-01-17 03:38 PM
    Que no!!! BlackBerry no muere ya veréis.
    This thread isn't about BlackBerry, but about BB10 the inhouse Operating System that BlackBerry created and used for a few years.... two different things, with two different futures.
    Slash82 likes this.
    02-01-17 04:15 PM
    Attachment 416791

Nice man!
    Latest BBM ad - BlackBerry AppWorld is not even mentioned anymore!

Posted via CB10
    Can't even SEE the Android-only stickers on BB10. Don't even mention video calling.

The Mighty Chen has bent his customers over and shafted them from behind. Hence the reason no one will buy his cheapie Android guff.
    BBM on iOS and Android (the consumer versions) are handled by a different company (who likely made that ad). BlackBerry handles the enterprise versions (which includes BBM on BB10).

First of all, let’s be clear. BlackBerry owns 100% of BBM. We have merely licensed the rights to the Android, iOS and Windows Phone versions of BBM to a newly formed subsidiary of Emtek named Creative Media (www.BBMTek.com). BlackBerry maintains direct control over the BBOS and BlackBerry 10 versions of BBM, as well as BBM Enterprise (formerly BBM Protected).
    Ensuring*a*Bright Future for BBM in Indonesia | Inside BlackBerry
    02-01-17 06:32 PM
    BBM on iOS and Android (the consumer versions) are handled by a different company (who likely made that ad). BlackBerry handles the enterprise versions (which includes BBM on BB10).
    Still sad that they cut out OS10!
    There is a BlackBerry brand on it and no support for BlackBerry's own devices.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-02-17 04:11 AM
    There is no such thing as encouraging developers to come without money upfront. I do not know what has actually happened but I would bet BBRY thought devs would come by themselves just because they are BlackBerry.

If they were serious about app development they would have paid money to big app devs to support the platform. Just then second tier developers would come by to see what's the deal.
    02-02-17 04:21 AM
    It's still alive for me. As long as it works and I don't feel the urge to jump platform

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 04:35 AM

So what is your point?

I'm on BB10 and I have contacts on Android who I can't share stickers with ...I don't give a sh!t what 'deals' Chairman Chen has made, it just plain sucks.
    02-02-17 06:52 AM
    There is no such thing as encouraging developers to come without money upfront. I do not know what has actually happened but I would bet BBRY thought devs would come by themselves just because they are BlackBerry.

If they were serious about app development they would have paid money to big app devs to support the platform. Just then second tier developers would come by to see what's the deal.
    To be fair, they did offer money.
    stlabrat and app_Developer like this.
    02-02-17 06:54 AM

Not only did they offer cash to developers, but they offered to support the big name apps on BBW out of their own pockets.
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-02-17 08:28 AM
    Not only did they offer cash to developers, but they offered to support the big name apps on BBW out of their own pockets.
    I've heard that story a lot, but never anything in the way of details or confirmations.

Has there ever been in evidence of WHEN BlackBerry tried to court big developers? Any evidence of how MUCH BlackBerry was willing to offer those big key developers?

Just don't remember anything other than those Developer Jams before the launch.... then six months or so after was when I remember a few comments about "we tried to get the big apps". Which always left me wondering just how hard they tried, and when. Because there is a difference in asking them to do in back in early 2012 when the developer phone hit the market and then asking them after June of 2013 when it was clear BB10 was DOA. And there is a difference in saying we will cover the development cost, and saying we will cover the development and support cost plus give you a nice bonus...

What clear is they didn't offer as much as Microsoft did....
    02-02-17 09:15 AM
    Still sad that they cut out OS10!
    There is a BlackBerry brand on it and no support for BlackBerry's own devices.
    So what is your point?

I'm on BB10 and I have contacts on Android who I can't share stickers with ...I don't give a sh!t what 'deals' Chairman Chen has made, it just plain sucks.
    It's two different products with two different development teams and focuses (consumer vs enterprise). BB10's primary customer base is enterprise so I guess it would make sense that BlackBerry's own offerings would be catering to them as well. As much as I hate to say this, BB10 simply isn't a great platform for consumer oriented users anymore.
    02-02-17 11:09 AM
    It's two different products with two different development teams and focuses (consumer vs enterprise). BB10's primary customer base is enterprise so I guess it would make sense that BlackBerry's own offerings would be catering to them as well. As much as I hate to say this, BB10 simply isn't a great platform for consumer oriented users anymore.
    Corporate users on BB10 wouldn't have any use for cross-platform calling to Android / iOS users?
    02-02-17 11:39 AM
    Paying developers never works. The companies that make the apps you really want measure their valuation in billions. It's not like you are giving them free money. You have to convince a development team that has a list of feature priorities, bug fixes, major iOS and Android changes and is racing against the competition to acquire millions of customers per week that it's worth their resources to target your devices. They never see anyone using a BlackBerry, either. How many times have you seen anyone using a Passport? If you are a BlackBerry user, it makes you feel unique. If you are a developer, you sense that nobody that you know will ever use your work.

And, the essential apps number in the dozens or even hundreds - not just the ones that you use. Everybody has a different list of essential apps and you can't just pick the top ones - not when the competition has them all. That's why we call them "essential."

If you're a small developer then it's nice to get paid but then what happens when you don't pay me? The app goes stale. The more successful the app ecosystem is, the less the platform does for the developers. Google used to give out some great hardware at its developers conference but now they don't have to. Apple charges thousands to go to WWDC and you get a free jacket and one beer at a concert.
    02-02-17 11:43 AM
    Corporate users on BB10 wouldn't have any use for cross-platform calling to Android / iOS users?
    I was responding to your question about stickers but you can cross platform call to both BBM and BBM Enterprise on BB10.

Start a BBM Enterprise video chat - BBM Enterprise for Android - 1.0

You can't video chat (it defaults to voice as noted above).
    02-02-17 01:48 PM
    Paying developers never works. The companies that make the apps you really want measure their valuation in billions. It's not like you are giving them free money. You have to convince a development team that has a list of feature priorities, bug fixes, major iOS and Android changes and is racing against the competition to acquire millions of customers per week that it's worth their resources to target your devices. They never see anyone using a BlackBerry, either. How many times have you seen anyone using a Passport? If you are a BlackBerry user, it makes you feel unique. If you are a developer, you sense that nobody that you know will ever use your work.

And, the essential apps number in the dozens or even hundreds - not just the ones that you use. Everybody has a different list of essential apps and you can't just pick the top ones - not when the competition has them all. That's why we call them "essential."

If you're a small developer then it's nice to get paid but then what happens when you don't pay me? The app goes stale. The more successful the app ecosystem is, the less the platform does for the developers. Google used to give out some great hardware at its developers conference but now they don't have to. Apple charges thousands to go to WWDC and you get a free jacket and one beer at a concert.
    I don't think some folks understand this. The cost of development and support is crazy high.

I speculate that when Netflix gave BBRY a number, BBRY bailed.
    02-02-17 02:35 PM
    I don't think some folks understand this. The cost of development and support is crazy high.
    There is always some ridiculous idea that it only takes 15 minutes, or whatever, to port an app. That was a prevalent idea in webOSNation days, too. That's like saying it only takes 15 seconds to fix this feature and compile a new version of the app so what's the big deal?

Also, if they can, they will shut down functionality on unapproved devices because most people who install an app and find that it doesn't work well will blame the app or the company and not the device? "Uber? I don't use it because the app always crashes, sucks up my battery, etc." - even if they are using on an unsupported platform.
    Tim-ANC and DrBoomBotz like this.
    02-02-17 03:07 PM

I speculate that when Netflix gave BBRY a number, BBRY bailed.
    What's crazy high? Half dozen developers (how hard is it to port an Android app - we use to do it in a few minutes) and support staff, equipment, office space,.... maybe $5 million a year? Say double that and make it $10 Million for Netflix and then say they want two years up front so make it $20 Million. So it would cost BlackBerry $500 Million to get the top 25 apps on the BB10 platform at launch and for the next two years.... sounds pretty cheap to me (in hindsight).

And I say in hindsight, but really BlackBerry should have KNOW they needed to put forth some effort to attract developers. BBOS had what 80Million users and wasn't getting support, even if they had sold 20 million phones that first year... that still would not have been enough to attract these developers. Plus BlackBerry saw first hand with the BETA release of what would become BB10... the PlayBook got almost no interest from Developers.

But as I said before.... even with apps, BlackBerry would have had a difficult time competing.
    02-02-17 03:21 PM
    no this: Stanford's Developing iOS 9 Apps with Swift Is Now Available
    CS 193A: Android Application Development
    you will need to cultivate developer talent if you start a new OS. throw money just temporary hyped and draw some talent, but some greedy type- go after the easy money, such as pot the droid app... etc. etc. someone got the impression, you can just buy the talent and access...most of the time, is not true. (of
    02-02-17 03:58 PM
    no this: Stanford's Developing iOS 9 Apps with Swift Is Now Available
    CS 193A: Android Application Development
    you will need to cultivate developer talent if you start a new OS. throw money just temporary hyped and draw some talent, but some greedy type- go after the easy money, such as pot the droid app... etc. etc. someone got the impression, you can just buy the talent and access...most of the time, is not true. (of
    Too be honest.... developers or coders as individuals, don't matter all that much. That's why all those Developer Jams were probably a waste of money for BlackBerry. And yes, most of what BlackBerry got out of those were poorly ported apps that nobody wanted in the first place. Maybe a few good choices made it over.... but not many.

Sure BlackBerry needs some small developers, but they would have come anyway. It's the big "anchor" Apps that BlackBerry failed to obtain for the platform.... FaceBook (they built their own), CandyCrush and other big games, Instagram, Netflix... the top apps that are on both iOS and Android, that consumers just assume are going to be there.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-02-17 04:42 PM
    You have the timing mixed up.

BB10 was proven to be an absolutely unmitigated disaster by the summer of 2013. No major apps came, and BlackBerry had to write down hundreds of millions of dollars on devices. The company went up for sale, and Thorsten got turfed.

The BlackBerry board hired Chen to pivot away from hardware, and to start building a software business. He continued to dabble with phones while the software side ramped up and to stay relevant in the business world.

It was likely Louks that convinced Chen to give it one last kick at the can with BlackBerry Android. It's probably a good thing he did, because now BlackBerry has something to licence and a suite to sell.

In the meantime, the software portfolio has become quite formidable, and it appears BlackBerry may just survive.
     my native FB stop notification 'do we have any idea for this?

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 04:49 PM
     my native FB stop notification 'do we have any idea for this?

Posted via CB10
    /blackberry-10-os-f269/how-fix-facebook-10-3-3-latest-updated-share-option-1094583/
    02-02-17 05:05 PM
    What's crazy high? Half dozen developers (how hard is it to port an Android app - we use to do it in a few minutes) and support staff, equipment, office space,.... maybe $5 million a year? Say double that and make it $10 Million for Netflix and then say they want two years up front so make it $20 Million. So it would cost BlackBerry $500 Million to get the top 25 apps on the BB10 platform at launch and for the next two years.... sounds pretty cheap to me (in hindsight).

And I say in hindsight, but really BlackBerry should have KNOW they needed to put forth some effort to attract developers. BBOS had what 80Million users and wasn't getting support, even if they had sold 20 million phones that first year... that still would not have been enough to attract these developers. Plus BlackBerry saw first hand with the BETA release of what would become BB10... the PlayBook got almost no interest from Developers.

But as I said before.... even with apps, BlackBerry would have had a difficult time competing.
    I think it would have cost way more than 20 mill.

Without getting too much, I worked with a very popular developer back then; several million downloads, but not quite on the level of Netflix. It was/is the top app in its category.

They got paid to make a Playbook port, and it was a HIGH number. What that amount bought was an app that wasn't as feature rich as other platforms, and received no support.

When inquires were made later, the amount could not be agreed upon (my understanding) for BB10.

I never really believed in app ransoms as described by Kevin till I saw it in action.

In any case, I believe that the asking price for Netflix was quite high (understandably so). I don't think BBRY could or even should have spent that for several apps.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-02-17 06:30 PM
    20 apps sounds like a decent amount only as long as they happen to be the apps that you want. But, what BlackBerry paid for BB10 versions of Amazon Prime Video but not Neflix, or Lyft but not Uber, or Chase but not Bank of America, Skype but not Snapchat, Instagram but not FaceBook, Waze but not Google Maps, 4square but not Yelp, Stitcher but not Audible, CNN streaming but not ESPN. Every list of 20 essential apps has several deal-breakers for just about anyone. So, don't think you can stop at 20 essential apps. Try 100.
    02-02-17 07:28 PM
    plus the sdk at that time I heard was dog.
    02-02-17 07:35 PM
409 ... 1011121314 ...