12-05-17 10:31 AM
409 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Good thing that smartphone companies didn't consult you because exactly the opposite is true. Smartphone apps exponentially expand what people can do with them so much that they have become the personal technology of choice for about half of the earth's population. Everyone thinks that the app catalog only needs to consist of 20 apps - the ones that they use. It's like saying that a supermarket really only needs 100 items - the ones that you buy. Why bother with the thousands of other things that clutter up the aisles?
    I am not against the app catalog... just like PC I have installed various CAD software - but those are not pre-installed, I have to download and pay a fee - or subscription to use as professional software (not sure if those professional gamer possibly can do the same) - I know exactly where I can go to download it - not google play store or amazon, but directly to the source. no ads, no virus, not expect to be free to use. That is the model I like. If some of the app need to have access fee, like per use based app, if it is useful, sure, why not. Just not wild west, you got try 5 or 6 apps before you find one that useful (not mention >60% of apps not even download once... I am try to save user and developer life here... it is waste of resources, men power - sorry ladies, majority app dev still men out there, memory, network efficiency). By the way, many of CAD software allow you to try (or learn to use) 1st for free with limited feature, you pay fee to un-lock buy a soft key to un-lock the full version... (or subsequent module add on). I would prefer all app from the reputable source (or store), so you don't have fake BBM come out like apple store. especially the banking app should be from bank, not from app store which you do not know if it is fake or not... (more scary than fake news...).
    01-31-17 10:18 AM
    I actually agree about the bank app. This is one situation where I prefer to use the website. I prefer to use the web over apps when using a credit card as well. The risk is low but that is my preference.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 01:33 PM
    But BlackBerry android have DTEK app which make it secure and private, right or may I wrong somewhere??

Apart from BlackBerry's inbuild 'bb10' features in Android, why is BlackBerry android to be considered?

Posted via CB10
    We really need to stop boasting about 'DTEK'. DTEK (the app) is....junk. It manages what permissions apps have - and ....then sends you to what Marshmallow ALREADY has built in - app permissions!!

If DTEK was launched when Android was on Jellybean or Kitkit, it would have been revolutionary. Instead, they released an un-necessary bloatware, crappy app which does very, very little. And I say this as someone who is a fan of Blackberry. I'm not being anti-Blackberry here, just stating facts.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    01-31-17 02:19 PM
    We really need to stop boasting about 'DTEK'. DTEK (the app) is....junk. It manages what permissions apps have - and ....then sends you to what Marshmallow ALREADY has built in - app permissions!!
    Disagree.

It's the notification and reporting functions that are fantastic, and VERY useful.
    01-31-17 02:28 PM
    Disagree.

It's the notification and reporting functions that are fantastic, and VERY useful.
    But they're surplus to requirement. Here's a use-case: You download an app, see it wants location permissions but you'd prefer it didn't, so you deny it. That's the end of it. There's absolutely zero need for reporting whatsoever. The only possible way it's good, is if you're absolutely desperate to know how many times a permission has been requested. But really, that's the most small, small % of people ever and really a moot point because you've already denied the permission.

Blackberry sold the DTEK app as an essential security feature - it isn't. At all. It's not a device-seller - that's for sure. Managing permissions is possible on every single Android running Marshmallow or higher. Blackberry haven't and will not reach mainstream success again because of "DTEK".
    01-31-17 03:30 PM
    Blackberry haven't and will not reach mainstream success again because of "DTEK".
    Well I certainly never implied that.

If an app I use pings my location too much, I will try another.

Many apps do not work properly by denying certain permissions, so at least I can see what it's actually using, and swap it out for something else if I generally don't like what I'm seeing.

If an app that uses the microphone, suddenly flips it on in the middle of the day when I'm not using it, again I can do something about it.
    01-31-17 03:39 PM
    Well I certainly never implied that.

If an app I use pings my location too much, I will try another.

Many apps do not work properly by denying certain permissions, so at least I can see what it's actually using, and swap it out for something else if I generally don't like what I'm seeing.

If an app that uses the microphone, suddenly flips it on in the middle of the day when I'm not using it, again I can do something about it.
    I know you weren't implying that, I didn't suggest you were. I'm just saying that Blackberry touted DTEK as a fantastic, life-changing security app - when in fact, it just gives you the numbers as you mention.

And yes, you're correct - a lot of apps don't function after denying permissions. But this is usually because there is a legitimate reason for those permissions. However, it's interesting that the likes of Facebook wont operate on an Android device without full permissions (or at least, they required full permissions when I tested it a few months ago).
    01-31-17 03:55 PM
    However, it's interesting that the likes of Facebook wont operate on an Android device without full permissions (or at least, they required full permissions when I tested it a few months ago).
    I was actually able to remove the location permission from Facebook. But it only occurred to me after DTEK told me that it used that permission hundreds of times a week.

It's actually illuminating and kinda fun to look through the DTEK app.
    01-31-17 04:01 PM
    I was actually able to remove the location permission from Facebook. But it only occurred to me after DTEK told me that it used that permission hundreds of times a week.

It's actually illuminating and kinda fun to look through the DTEK app.
    Android runtime under bb10 shows used permissions without the dtek app. I think it's been native for a while, but unavailable through "official means".
    01-31-17 04:33 PM
    Absolutely agree! The problem is... BB10 is almost dead. And the only way to switch for me is Windows 10.

Anyway, I'm using PC's and laptops... at least, all my data will be leaked only for one company. No trust to BlackBerry after switching to Google.
    Too late. Microsoft has parroted Google with Windows 10, which is a farce in terms of advertising apps and sending your data on to Microsoft and its selected third parties.

Google already has all your information. None of us can live privately any more. The advantage of BB10 is the elegance of the UI and the native hub. Being able to run Android in a kind of sandbox (virtual machine) is cool. But not privacy. And the claims for the DTEK being the most secure Android smartphone are just downright lies.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    01-31-17 05:35 PM
    I actually agree about the bank app. This is one situation where I prefer to use the website. I prefer to use the web over apps when using a credit card as well. The risk is low but that is my preference.
    Mobile check deposit is a must, these days. Ridiculously convenient.
    01-31-17 06:55 PM
    If you ever have cheques to deposit. I had ONE last year.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-31-17 08:49 PM
    What's a check or cheque?
    01-31-17 11:21 PM
    What's a check or cheque?
    Eastern European IIRC.
    01-31-17 11:23 PM
    Eastern European IIRC.
    I see. To deposit a Czech does not seem like a nice thing to do.
    BigBadWulf and brookie229 like this.
    01-31-17 11:27 PM
    I see. To deposit a Czech does not seem like a nice thing to do.

Would you believe I put it in savings?
    01-31-17 11:29 PM
    Disagree.

With Dtek App, can you change the Permissions of the apps?? Or it just give information??

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 11:48 PM
    If you ever have cheques to deposit. I had ONE last year.
    I get two a year probably, and with both my main banks being an average of 1.2K miles away, the app is worth the download for those two times.
    02-01-17 12:14 AM
    Too late. Microsoft has parroted Google with Windows 10, which is a farce in terms of advertising apps and sending your data on to Microsoft and its selected third parties.

Google already has all your information. None of us can live privately any more. The advantage of BB10 is the elegance of the UI and the native hub. Being able to run Android in a kind of sandbox (virtual machine) is cool. But not privacy. And the claims for the DTEK being the most secure Android smartphone are just downright lies.
    Actually, no. I didn't use Google products. Also, I use MS a lot. Therefore, switching to W10 is not a problem for me, because all my information will be in one company then.
    Tim-ANC and dilijasi like this.
    02-01-17 03:24 AM
    Actually, no. I didn't use Google products. Also, I use MS a lot. Therefore, switching to W10 is not a problem for me, because all my information will be in one company then.
    Good for you. I unfortunately have a gmail account that would be hard for me to un-shackle from. I use Chrome but only to access my company's software and nothing else. I bet Das G-reich hates me for that.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-01-17 03:52 AM
    Google has your information anyway.

You can't escape Google.
    02-01-17 04:37 AM
    BlackBerry10 is(!) dead!-img_20170201_125733.png

Nice man!
    Latest BBM ad - BlackBerry AppWorld is not even mentioned anymore!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-17 05:58 AM
    With Dtek App, can you change the Permissions of the apps??

Posted via CB10
    Yes.
    02-01-17 06:08 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170201_125733.png 
Views:	228 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	416791

Nice man!
    Latest BBM ad - BlackBerry AppWorld is not even mentioned anymore!

Posted via CB10

Can't even SEE the Android-only stickers on BB10. Don't even mention video calling.

The Mighty Chen has bent his customers over and shafted them from behind. Hence the reason no one will buy his cheapie Android guff.
    02-01-17 06:19 AM
    Can't even SEE the Android-only stickers on BB10. Don't even mention video calling.

The Mighty Chen has bent his customers over and shafted them from behind. Hence the reason no one will buy his cheapie Android guff.
    Yeah, I feel that knife deep in my back and still hear his words:
    "Fully committed to OS10!" and some kind of evil laughs...

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 and Kot Prada like this.
    02-01-17 06:23 AM
409 ... 910111213 ...