12-05-17 11:31 AM
409 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    But
    Why we must hate of Android/ios and love these dead os?
    I don't hate iOS nor Android.
    Those are pretty good OS and there is a reason why they are successful.
    They work smoothly.

The twist here is I don't like them for ME personally.

I don't like the whole Android concept itself. Which is like the "Facebook of mobile OS", you / companies get it 'for free', Google also does the whole development & maintenance for it.
    All you gotta do is give up your privacy instead of giving them money.
    They offer you cool Google services, but the more you use it the more data they get from you.
    Which is like the gold or oil for the 21st century.

If people say "I don't have a problem with that." then go and try to open their mailboxes at their houses or tell them to show you their e-mails or hand you their smartphone for a day or two (with unlock code for their pics and stuff).
    There won't be some 'criminal thing', but you will dig too deep into their private room.
    So why would the want a company like Google to track every move down?

Similar with Apple's iOS, the OS itself might be more private - but the integration of apps and iCloud is made to generate money for them.
    Just 2 weeks ago Edward Snowden gave an interview at a German congress and he showed a chart which showed that Apple was biggest data 'seller' in 2016.

That's what I have problems with.

BlackBerry's OS is private itself and you also can set app permissions to control your privacy. But that also means BlackBerry won't make even a part of money with that as the other players.

Posted via CB10
    Kot Prada and stlabrat like this.
    01-29-17 02:31 AM
    They work smoothly.

I don't like the whole Android concept itself. Which is like the "Facebook of mobile OS", you / companies get it 'for free', Google also does the whole development & maintenance for it.
    They offer you cool Google services, but the more you use it the more data they get from you.

If people say "I don't have a problem with that." then go and try to open their mailboxes at their houses or tell them to show you their e-mails or hand you their smartphone for a day or two (with unlock code for their pics and stuff).
    There won't be some 'criminal thing', but you will dig too deep into their private room.

Similar with Apple's iOS, the OS itself might be more private - but the integration of apps and iCloud is made to generate money for them.
    Just 2 weeks ago Edward Snowden gave an interview at a German congress and he showed a chart which showed that Apple was biggest data 'seller' in 2016.

BlackBerry's OS is private itself and you also can set app permissions to control your privacy. But that also means BlackBerry won't make even a part of money with that as the other players.

BlackBerry's TOS does infer that it quite okay with data collection... just like the others.

I simply don't trust any corporation to have my best interests at heart.
    BigBadWulf and sidtek50 like this.
    01-29-17 03:26 AM
    Absolutely agree! The problem is... BB10 is almost dead. And the only way to switch for me is Windows 10.

Anyway, I'm using PC's and laptops... at least, all my data will be leaked only for one company. No trust to BlackBerry after switching to Google.
    Last edited by Kot Prada; 01-30-17 at 11:33 AM.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-29-17 08:17 AM
    Absolutely agree! The problem is... BB10 is almost dead. And the only way to switch for me is Windows 10.

Anyway, I'm using PC's and laptops... at least, all my data will leaked only for one company. No trust to BlackBerry after switching to Google.
    Yeah, i'm sniffing on Win phone too. Saw a used Lumia 950XL for €250 yesterday. Were it not locked to vodaphone, i might be bangin on it right now. Like you, the allure for me is it should work wonderfully with all my MS stuff.
    01-29-17 12:59 PM
    BlackBerry's TOS does infer that it quite okay with data collection... just like the others.

I simply don't trust any corporation to have my best interests at heart.
    Might be true, but still the amount of collected data differs a lot.
    01-29-17 01:39 PM
    It may be true that BB is collecting user information but, at least it is not part of it's core business or has ever publicly stated they resell it. Google IS in the business of collecting and selling information, whether to influence sales or providing customised meta data searches.

It's just what they do.

Anyone who buys the new BB Android phones should know their information is being collected and resold. This "feature" cannot be turned off as its part of the Google Terms of Service that all integrators sign.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 01-30-17 at 12:03 PM.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    01-29-17 02:05 PM
    It may be true that BB is collecting user information but, at least it is not part of it's core business or has ever publicly stated they resell it. Google IS in the business of collecting and selling information, whether to influence sales or providing customised meta data searches.

It's just what they do.

Anyone who buys the new BB Android phones should know their information is being collected and resold. This "feature" cannot be turned of as part of the Google Terms of Service that all integrators sign.
    Google does not sell data.
    01-29-17 02:34 PM

Anyone who buys the new BB Android phones should know their information is being collected and resold. This "feature" cannot be turned of as part of the Google Terms of Service that all integrators sign.
    Why does it concern you that information that came from you but isn't traceable to you is given to a 3rd party. We are talking about analytics. If you believe personally identifiable info is being sold then list them here. If you raise such concerns about Google yet use credit card and reward cards then I'm going to just laugh at you cause thats actual personally identifiable info that being sold and sold openly.

As an academic exercise you might go to the consumer facing site for one of the biggest data brokers Acxiom https://aboutthedata.com/ which does sell personally identifiable info, they are data brokers after all and use your SSN(they don't sell this only the last 4 digits ) to tag all their info together. It might interest you to know what just one data broker has about you.

Companies don't go to Google to buy personally identifiable data because they wouldn't get it, thats Googles 'secret sauce' they go to Google because they are the best in the planet at using the data they have for ad placement, thats something that companies will pay for in the tunes of billions of dollars every quarter.
    BigBadWulf and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    01-29-17 02:56 PM
    Every developer knows how the development of BB10 OS instantly slowed down right after Mr. Chen came to BBRY. There were huge development plans and far-reaching roadmaps even just a month before that, but since he came it was just to finish the (already in the works at that time) 10.3 / 10.3.1 release and then only maintain it with small updates. Also, since Mr. Chen arrived there were actually no truly new BB10 phones designed from scratch, not a single one. The Passport was already in the works before he came, so he just allowed to finish and release it. The Passport SE was just a rehoused Passport. The Leap was mostly a rehoused Z10 with bigger screen and battery. And so on. All models except for the Passport got stuck forever with the dual-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon from AD 2012.

Let's face it: he must have come to BBRY with a mission to convert it to Android since day one, if right from the start he did what he did to BB10 OS development and suppressed any hardware upgrades.

Remind yourselves how in just 2013 alone the OS progressed from 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.2.1, and 10.3 was already in the works, and how then it just died (it took ~3 years to progress from 10.3.1 to 10.3.3)

And let's not forget that he came already in November 2013, while the first BB10 phone, the Z10, came out only in the beginning of 2013. So the platform did not have even just ONE YEAR to spread its wings before it got suppressed.

Sad but true.

Stephen Elop's twin, just more smart and cunning.
    It has always been my belief that Chen had no intention of saving the hardware side of BlackBerry, but your statement that he came with a mission to convert BlackBerry to android is a valid one. If it is true though, it makes we wonder why he waited so long to do so because handset sales have been in the toilet for years mainly due to the lack of apps. Anyone with any sense that's ever used a BB10 phone knows how well the OS is constructed and how well it works. I've let people play around with the two BB10 phones I've had and they all say pretty much the same things, they wish their phone was this easy to get things done, they wish they could do this on their phone, their phone doesn't do that!, etc, etc. But it always comes down to apps. Can you, (me) get this app on your BlackBerry? what about this one? and this one, can you get it? Even with the Amazon App Store I couldn't get those apps or any that I may have wanted. Not games or other frivolous time fillers, apps for people that BlackBerry is geared towards might need, like banking or other financial apps.

I have to the best of my knowledge eliminated any interaction with google, I don't even log on to my YouTube account when I watch a video, and I refuse to be locked into Apple's ecosystem. So when the time comes that my Z30 will no longer work for one reason or another, or when BlackBerry no longer supports BB10 I will be switching to a Windows phone.
    Last edited by zx9r170; 01-30-17 at 09:43 AM.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    01-29-17 03:03 PM
    Exactly! This is just Google's model of business: giving away their products "for free" but using all user's data for their own purposes. Therefore, any Google product works like this. BB has nothing to do with that.
    01-30-17 11:36 AM
    I have to the best of my knowledge eliminated any interaction with google, I don't even log on to my YouTube account when I watch a video, and I refuse to be locked into Apple's ecosystem. So when the time comes that my Z30 will no longer work for one reason or another, or when BlackBerry no longer supports BB10 I will be switching to a Windows phone.
    I would like to get Surface Phone, but not sure my Z10 will be alive until it's release. In that case, will just get 950XL, like Tim-ANC said.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-30-17 11:41 AM
    Exactly! This is just Google's model of business: giving away their products "for free" but using all user's data for their own purposes. Therefore, any Google product works like this. BB has nothing to do with that.
    I wouldn't say nothing... as BB has switched to Google's Android now. Which is why most feel that BB10 is "history" at this point.
    01-30-17 11:50 AM
    I would like to get Surface Phone, but not sure my Z10 will be alive until it's release. In that case, will just get 950XL, like Tim-ANC said.
    I want that too but I read an article on Win Central this morning stating the Surface Phone might not be out until 2018. But then there is this too: Cerulean Windows Phone - What's Happening? - Windows Central Forums

Its cloudy. Nothing firm on new WM devices. But we do know MS seems to be committed to the OS, or a universal platform. We are crystal about the future of BB10.
    01-30-17 12:07 PM
    But BlackBerry android have DTEK app which make it secure and private, right or may I wrong somewhere??

Apart from BlackBerry's inbuild 'bb10' features in Android, why is BlackBerry android to be considered?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 12:57 PM
    But BlackBerry android have DTEK app which make it secure and private, right or may I wrong somewhere??

Apart from BlackBerry's inbuild 'bb10' features in Android, why is BlackBerry android to be considered?

Posted via CB10
    Any Google product can't be secure as itself. Simply because, as I already told, they take your data as payment for their "free" services. Read "Faust"
    01-30-17 01:24 PM
    Any Google product can't be secure as itself. Simply because, as I already told, they take your data as payment for their "free" services. Read "Faust"
    So many here confuse privacy and security.... and really don't understand just how little they really have of either. Like the little boy sticking his finger in one hole in the dam, but there are dozens of those holes and the water is still rising.
    01-30-17 02:09 PM
    So many here confuse privacy and security.... and really don't understand just how little they really have of either. Like the little boy sticking his finger in one hole in the dam, but there are dozens of those holes and the water is still rising.
    Privacy and security are not mutually inclusive, which is an often lost distinction.

For example, one could have elaborate passwords and multifactor authentication set up for their Facebook account; secure but not private. While 400lb hackers and script kiddies are kept out, Zuckerberg's beak isn't.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-30-17 02:48 PM
    They work smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair I don't think Blackberry has much data to sell considering their numbers.
    01-30-17 03:13 PM
    Then why do we buy blackdroid??

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 01:41 AM
    Then why do we buy blackdroid??

Posted via CB10
    We?! Definitely not... I am on BB10 yet. Never Android.
    01-31-17 06:41 AM
    They only collect information from the apps they own, not the whole OS. So if you don't use chrome/gmail/hangouts etc, Google will get minimal data about you.

The thing is most people use the Google apps from their Android phone because:
    1. they are already installed
    2. they sync easy across devices
    3. they are actually quite good apps.
    01-31-17 08:33 AM
    They only collect information from the apps they own, not the whole OS. So if you don't use chrome/gmail/hangouts etc, Google will get minimal data about you.

The thing is most people use the Google apps from their Android phone because:
    1. they are already installed
    2. they sync easy across devices
    3. they are actually quite good apps.
    All handsets should have a set of key good apps preinstalled that utilize the hardware and OS. UI can be customized, only few app should be downloaded as personal preference... smartphone just a shrinkage of PC/Mac nowadays, it should come with basic program with one or two pre-packaged downloadable app (like PC-microsoft office suite for example, preferably, you can delete the part you don't need - with a fee... ). average user should not go to the wild hunt for app... in the past, it is wild west world of app, it should be consolidated to some metropolis with convenience at your finger tip. IMHO.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    01-31-17 09:18 AM
    All handsets should have a set of key good apps preinstalled that utilize the hardware and OS. UI can be customized, only few app should be downloaded as personal preference... smartphone just a shrinkage of PC/Mac nowadays, it should come with basic program with one or two pre-packaged downloadable app (like PC-microsoft office suite for example, preferably, you can delete the part you don't need - with a fee... ). average user should not go to the wild hunt for app... in the past, it is wild west world of app, it should be consolidated to some metropolis with convenience at your finger tip. IMHO.
    My post was not against having pre-packaged apps. I am fully in support of such apps existing.

My post was against the notion that no matter what you do, Google will "steal" your information from inside any app you install on your phone.
    01-31-17 09:30 AM
    Good thing that smartphone companies didn't consult you because exactly the opposite is true. Smartphone apps exponentially expand what people can do with them so much that they have become the personal technology of choice for about half of the earth's population. Everyone thinks that the app catalog only needs to consist of 20 apps - the ones that they use. It's like saying that a supermarket really only needs 100 items - the ones that you buy. Why bother with the thousands of other things that clutter up the aisles?
    Eumaeus likes this.
    01-31-17 10:09 AM
    I just will quote Troy again about the small campaign for Bold 9900 phones in 2014:

I do think that the BB10 user base is as big or even bigger than the Bold 9900 user base.

And I also do think that Blackberry will run out of inventory this year and that the BB10 user base is extremly bizarre.

If the Navy can pay Microsoft big cash just to continue the support for Windows XP, I am sure the BB10 user base is willed to pay + USD 200/device extra, just to get a Z50 (okay, new internals and new drivers = not cheap).

At this point, we don't know if this will happen, but I have the scenario on my list.
    Not a very glorious scenario, I admit, but enough to pull some legs on CB!
    XP is the proverbial that won't flush. Windows 7 will be unsupported in 2020 and Windows 10 is junk. They should go Linux.
    01-31-17 10:39 AM
409 ... 89101112 ...