09-22-14 09:07 AM
27 12
tools
    09-12-14 12:16 PM
    Well a positive negative seems fair.
    09-12-14 12:25 PM
    Well, if that keeps them in business, they still have a chance to build their own phones (they plan to do it in the near future).

An "about phones" BlackBerry that goes bankrupt would not have that chance.
    09-12-14 12:33 PM
    We knew that they weren't focused on handsets anymore, so it doesn't seem like news. Chen said it would be services focused for the foreseeable future with devices being secondary.
    09-12-14 03:42 PM
    It's a shame that they have that attitude, because the updates to the operating system has really improved the phones.
    I've gone from totally hating OS 10 to totally liking OS 10.2.1..
    BB doesn't promote their phones or OS 10 in anyway that I've seen.
    needforbbx likes this.
    09-12-14 11:22 PM
    Interesting article. Seems like a good strategy me. They're still going to have devices, just not going to focus on them exclusively.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-14-14 08:54 PM
    Well, BBRY is being upfront about its plans.
    09-14-14 09:12 PM
    It's

Devices PLUS...

now.

I'm ok with that.
    Build a proper ecosystem around that,
    with security, productivity and privacy in mind!

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    newcollector likes this.
    09-20-14 06:11 AM
    It's

Devices PLUS...

now.

I'm ok with that.
    Build a proper ecosystem around that,
    with security, productivity and privacy in mind!

Its now more of software, services PLUS devices.

Posted from a D618
    09-20-14 06:50 AM
    Although the main focus may not be devices now, I hope (it's a crazy thought) that Blend will increase the sales of BB devices in the enterprise sector and then eventually influence the consumer market. For me at least, Blend will allow me to always have my eyes on my computer without always answering messages from the phone therefore it might be enticing to companies to use BB phones as Blend it presumed to work on iOS and Android as well making the cost of replacement lower. The reason being that in order to have the same experience with iOS 8 you need to have everything Apple to enjoy these features. While with BB the only thing needed is a BB10 phone and the regular user can use on his other platforms already purchased.

I think that turning the enterprise sector around first will result in an increase in sales in the consumer sector (like I said it is a crazy thought but here's to hoping to wide acceptance of the BB10 platform)
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-20-14 07:06 AM
    Good, maybe after this bb can have more services like cloud storage, email etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-20-14 07:19 AM
    Seems like a good strategy. If they can rebuild their reputation by providing quality services that can be utilized on most of the major platforms, it may help spread the word that they are still around and doing new things. This could give them a path back to relevance on the device end if they provide compelling new products in that realm.

Posted via BBCBZ10
    09-20-14 07:41 AM
    My thought is, if they can continue to improve their Android player, they may start seeing partnerships from the lgs and sony's of the world that are looking to put their handsets in the business world.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 01:14 PM
    Although the main focus may not be devices now, I hope (it's a crazy thought) that Blend will increase the sales of BB devices in the enterprise sector and then eventually influence the consumer market. For me at least, Blend will allow me to always have my eyes on my computer without always answering messages from the phone
    Not to be a jerk, but most of those features from Blend that you are eagerly anticipating are things that I've been doing for years already with Android/Google services. Those features might be new and revolutionary for BB users, but they aren't exactly going to set the world on fire when for so many people, they are old news. Blend is mostly a "catch up" thing, not a "great leap forward" thing. Don't expect it to translate into sales, because I can assure you, it won't. It might keep some existing BB users on BB10 for a while longer, but little more than that.

xBBM was supposed to "catch on" and drive BB10 sales too. Notice that BB has completely stopped talking about BBM's user numbers?

In order for a feature to drive sales, it must be a feature that is new, and not just to BB but to the whole mobile world, and one that is extremely consumer-friendly. I don't expect anything like that out of BB, as consumers aren't their focus.
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    09-20-14 11:03 PM
    Didn't read the article but if the title is a quote BlackBerry better start releasing some services to the public.
    09-20-14 11:22 PM
    Good, maybe after this bb can have more services like cloud storage, email etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This would be great. I'd even pay for their cloud storage knowing that I'd have the most secure and trusted online storage available.

? Posted with the brilliance of my Z30 ?
    09-21-14 07:14 AM
    Not to be a jerk, but most of those features from Blend that you are eagerly anticipating are things that I've been doing for years already with Android/Google services. Those features might be new and revolutionary for BB users, but they aren't exactly going to set the world on fire when for so many people, they are old news. Blend is mostly a "catch up" thing, not a "great leap forward" thing. Don't expect it to translate into sales, because I can assure you, it won't. It might keep some existing BB users on BB10 for a while longer, but little more than that.
    BUT, BlackBerry Blend is cross platform and that is the difference!

? Posted with the brilliance of my Z30 ?
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    09-21-14 07:23 AM
    It is a smart move to focus on software and services. This is where the money is and it is these elements that are driving mobile computing. Hardware is a different kettle of fish and with the exception of Apple and a lesser extent Samsung, nobody is becoming rich in this area. Even Apple is starting to show signs of struggle as iPhone 6 sales have been solid but less than expected (note the revision 10 million devices in a week to 9 million in 10-14 days). I suspect people are choking on the price and wondering why they need it.

I suspect that BlackBerry will stay in the hardware game as their devices are unique, and designed for security and productivity. They also complement and support BES which is a real money maker. BB10 is an exceptional platform that displays a level of power and advancement that Apple and Google can't currently match. A little more consumer app support via BlackBerry World or Android runtime will shore up its remaining weakness. Further, don't rule out potential licensing agreements with 3rd party vendors.

Posted via CB10
    newcollector likes this.
    09-21-14 09:20 AM
    I don't think he was necessarily trolling here, but I disagree about his Google comparison. I use Chromebooks at work -- I work as a teacher at an alternative school. I also have a Nexus 5 and while it is true that Google does a great job of integrating mobile to desktop experiences since everything is in the cloud, it doesn't fully compare to what BlackBerry Blend is offering. Blend is really something unique in its own sense -- it is literally letting you use key aspects of your phone on your computer. For me, this eliminates the need for me to even open a Web browser to access Google services. I basically have a BlackBerry-made email client right on my desktop now.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247 TMO US
    09-21-14 06:52 PM
    *Rolls up sleeves*

Let's do this.

What exactly does Google do that is similar to Blend? Answer me please.

Your phone notifications appear on your Chromebook in realtime?

You can send a text from your PC/Mac with Android?

You can use a browser that's access your work domain without a VPN?

Please enlighten me. I beg you.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:57 PM
    *Rolls up sleeves*

Let's do this.

Posted via CB10
    Keep it kind, guys.

You're right, Rock, it would be interesting for me to know if Google actually has these features as I'm not using their platform at all. I'm interested in all things tech, but choose my platform mainly based on my perceived need for security / privacy. That's where BlackBerry, Linux and - let's say Bitdefender for Windows - come in.

My wife uses a Motorola, so I get a bit of KitKat taste every now and then, or if I like, I can check what all the fuss is about...

Apple - of course - won't play nicely with other platforms as expected. Google is not that selective, I guess they're looking for eyeballs to advertise to...

Any productive input welcome. I'm genuinely interested in an answers for the Rocks questions....

Good chance they're rather rhetorical... :-)

theRock1975 likes this.
    09-21-14 11:26 PM
    *Rolls up sleeves*

Let's do this.

Posted via CB10
    Google voice allows you to send text via the browser since chrome book is just a OS in a browser it might be able to. I don't know about the VPN thing.
    09-21-14 11:43 PM
    *Rolls up sleeves*

Let's do this.

I need to get a bit more educated. I thought Blend was akin to screen mirroring? And that it is going to be cross-platform?
    09-22-14 01:07 AM
    Every time I've seen Chen on CNBC he mentions BBM numbers

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 07:03 AM
    [Quote deleted by Moderator]

It's just his opinion and I wish people would follow the rules by debating the topic of the thread and not each other.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 09-22-14 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Cleanup
    JeepBB and Ecm like this.
    09-22-14 07:38 AM
27 12