03-24-15 07:05 AM
87 1234
tools
    No, they didn't. This most recent quarter saw a GAAP $148m loss...

Chen and company calculated an adjusted modest profit from operations.

Blackberry user Base falls below 1million ( UK)-img_20150303_213206.png

Check Out TechCraze
    03-03-15 03:32 PM
    BlackBerry broke even because of massive cuts to offset costs vs revenue. Not because they're suddenly making more money.
    Thanks for adding to my point without contradicting it

Check Out TechCraze
    03-03-15 03:33 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150303_213206.png 
Views:	989 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	338520

Check Out TechCraze
    However Chen sugar coats it in the media, the truth is in the financials. Accordong to non-GAAP adjusted numbers, they went cash flow positive from operations, but still reported a GAAP $148m net loss and revenue continued to trend downward, to under $800m.

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...nformation.pdf

"Non-GAAP profit for the third quarter was $6 million, or $0.01 per share, reversing a loss of $0.02 last quarter. GAAP net loss for the quarter was $148 million"
    tinochiko, Donvald and anon1727506 like this.
    03-03-15 03:49 PM
    The UK user base decline isn't surprising. BlackBerry haven't targeted the consumer here with BB10 for over a year and carriers here have stopped selling them in nearly all high street shops and even online to consumers. BB10 is for business customers only now at most carriers. So when a consumer who bought a Z10, Q10 or Q5 in 2013 is looking to replace it they won't find a BB10 phone to buy unless they know where to look. Most will not know or won't want to buy off-contract so they'll forget BlackBerry and go for an alternative.

This is the result of the direction Chen is taking BlackBerry, Enterprise first and foremost in the developed Western world. Consumers here will largely never know of BB10 phones unless they are in to mobile tech or work in a regulated industry where BB10 phones are used, or they know someone who does.

The future for BlackBerry phones here will be nothing like it's recent past and instead more akin to how it all began in the early 2000's, a curious business device used by an elite few who need secure communications.

BlackBerry are of course still doing consumer focussed things that can be monetised such as cross platform BBM and targeted marketing of BB10 to consumers in developing countries that still have high BlackBerry usage but it's not a given that either of those pushes will pay off.

Look back fondly on the days off BlackBerry as a market leading consumer darling of the phone world, those days are gone and most likely never to return. Going forward in the developed world this is a different BlackBerry, a security focused software and services company that just happens to do a small line in Enterprise focused smart phones.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2267 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 03-06-15 at 01:28 PM.
    03-05-15 07:56 PM
    I was an Android user primarily but had used iOS and Windows too. Now after having used Passport for couple of months..I can't imagine using any other phone. I really hope Blackberry's fortunes turns around.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:16 PM
    ackBerry has just made some recent hires on the sales side.. just give it a little time! Like someone said above people buy a new phone every two
    03-06-15 05:14 AM
    I was an Android user primarily but had used iOS and Windows too. Now after having used Passport for couple of months..I can't imagine using any other phone. I really hope Blackberry's fortunes turns around.

Posted via CB10
    You should try a Classic! I have both.
    03-06-15 06:18 PM

Name:	IMG_20150303_213206.png 
Views:	989 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	338520

Check Out TechCraze
    tinochiko, the article you posted does not contradict jmr. GAAP includes one time expenses. If Blackberry made a profit excluding one time expenses, then that is non-GAAP.

So what is the reality of the situation? Blackberry lost $148 million money. There will always be different one time expenses each quarter so it doesn't make sense to ignore them when determining whether or not a company is profitable (unless you researched the company well and am certain the expenses incurred are extraordinary in value).

The reason we pay attention to non-GAAP is to have a less volatile barometer for comparing a company's performance from quarter to quarter. One quarter a company's one time expenses may be radically different in value from another. But when determining whether a company is "profitable", non-GAAP always tends to be more optimistic and what the company actually more accurately reflected by GAAP.
    tinochiko, Donvald and techvisor like this.
    03-06-15 07:00 PM
    ackBerry has just made some recent hires on the sales side.. just give it a little time! Like someone said above people buy a new phone every two
    Chen said towards the end of last year that this year BlackBerry would work on improving carrier relationships. However he can't control whether carriers want to listen and act. The poor sales performance of BB10 phones in 2013 put most carriers right off selling them to consumers.

Posted via CB10
    Shlooky and Donvald like this.
    03-06-15 09:22 PM
    MOAR devices... (!)
    MOAR carriers...
    MOAR customers... :-D

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    03-08-15 11:07 PM
    I know plenty of people who use a BlackBerry. And they are usually corporate users

Who honestly wants to be sat playing candy crash on a work phone.

The whole purpose of BlackBerry was productivity and that can be achieved with a BlackBerry.

It is a messaging device.

There is no phone keyboard that comes close to the BlackBerry physical and the BlackBerry touch on os10!

The hub kicks arse over iPhone or Android email, text etc.

I'm proud to flash my BlackBerry logo on my black z10

Makes people wonder... what's that guy doing?

Dunno why but something about BlackBerry boasts class and uniqueness.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're living a lifestyle that frankly doesn't exist. People aren't looking at your Blackberry wondering what you're doing.
    techvisor, Chrisy, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    03-09-15 09:13 AM
    I imagine that Vodafone deciding to not make the LEAP available to consumers, isn't going to help things in the UK market either.
    03-09-15 02:33 PM
    I imagine that Vodafone deciding to not make the LEAP available to consumers, isn't going to help things in the UK market either.
    But it's not a surprise, to my memory they did the same with the Q10 and possibly other devices, what matters is whether Carphone Warehouse and other third party retailers stock it or not, as long as they do then customers still have access.. and BlackBerry has a good relationship with CPW

Check Out TechCraze
    03-09-15 03:05 PM
    The bottom line is if Blackberry makes good products that people want, they will be fine in the long run. If not then I think they will be purchased. In the meantime, as blackberry continues to tread water, it will continue to be the fault of USA, the media, a conspiracy, the shorts, analysts, the carriers, consumer ignorance, sheep mentality, etc..

Lol
    03-09-15 03:58 PM
    In the meantime, as blackberry continues to tread water, it will continue to be the fault of USA, the media, a conspiracy, the shorts, analysts, the carriers, consumer ignorance, sheep mentality, etc..
    Those are valid reasons why BlackBerry can't get back in to the US consumer market, but it was BlackBerry's own dumb fault that they dropped the ball there (and in most other countries) in the first place.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2267 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    03-09-15 05:48 PM
    Those are valid reasons why BlackBerry can't get back in to the US consumer market, but it was BlackBerry's own dumb fault that they dropped the ball there (and in most other countries) in the first place.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2267 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    Out of those the only valid one I see is the carriers, and I don't blame them however. I think it's quite possible blackberry can once again grab a nice slice of the consumer market in USA, but again it mainly comes down to the products.
    nt300 and Donvald like this.
    03-09-15 07:48 PM
    2015 is BlackBerry's mass distribution and growth year. We should see a steady market share increase this year, providing they release the right devices and proper Marketing and Carrier support.

Posted by Q5
    03-09-15 10:58 PM
    Out of those the only valid one I see is the carriers, and I don't blame them however. I think it's quite possible blackberry can once again grab a nice slice of the consumer market in USA, but again it mainly comes down to the products.
    No, I don't blame the carriers either.

They must have become sick of their customers blaming *them* whenever there was a problem with their BB handset, going all the way back to the randomly rebooting Z10's.

If BB is to recapture any ground in the consumer space, and none of Chen's actions convince me of that intent, then BB will need the support of carriers.

Just how much of the remaining carrier goodwill do you think BB has lost following the flawed 10.3.1 update, having to deal with annoyed customers, and it then being pulled?
    techvisor and Bbnivende like this.
    03-10-15 05:16 AM
    2015 is BlackBerry's mass distribution and growth year. We should see a steady market share increase this year, providing they release the right devices and proper Marketing and Carrier support.

Posted by Q5
    Well we have seen the roadmap... so we know what devices they are going to be pushing most of this year.

We know that they don't have money to do any real marketing....

Carrier support seems to be, will put your devices in our corporate stores on a shelf somewhere so that existing corporate users can have access to them.... no marketing, no training, no real support.

Not sure how 2015 is going to be BlackBerry's mass distribution and growth year.... They'll will be lucky to convert 50% of those with two year old BB10 devices that will be upgrading this year... much less the millions of BBOS users in developing markets or the few hold out in the corporate world. I could be very wrong and the Classic and the LEAP might be just what enterprise and users everywhere have been waiting for... but the simple truth is even if they mange to sell 10 million devices this year. It will be a net loss in the overall number of BlackBerry users.

This will be another year of BlackBerry trying to transition to a Services and Software company.
    JeepBB, techvisor and jmr1015 like this.
    03-10-15 09:35 AM

BlackBerry killed itself in the minds of everyone by continuing BBOS too far into the iPhone era.

Everyone had BlackBerry, and it became what they were stuck with while ogling at those slick modern phones.
    ^THIS

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-21-15 01:35 PM
    This is not only false but miss-leading. 1M user base in the UK? Wrong. These analysis don't take into consideration the Enterprise and Businesses.

Sexy White Z30
    03-21-15 05:26 PM
    This is not only false but miss-leading. 1M user base in the UK? Wrong. These analysis don't take into consideration the Enterprise and Businesses.

Sexy White Z30
    Care to provide your own source?

Posted from an ME173X
    Soulstream and jmr1015 like this.
    03-21-15 05:39 PM
    Care to provide your own source?

Posted from an ME173X

Blackberry user Base falls below 1million ( UK)-img_20150321_235712.png

Note * individuals who own.... and use.. smartphones

i.e Not counting business purchases since anything on the enterprise side (granted sans those employing byod etc.) won't be included there.

Check Out TechCraze
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    03-21-15 07:00 PM

Name:	IMG_20150321_235712.png 
Views:	326 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	342927

Note * individuals who own.... and use.. smartphones

i.e Not counting business purchases since anything on the enterprise side (granted sans those employing byod etc.) won't be included there.

Check Out TechCraze
    Thanks. Was just wondering why he believes the report was false and misleading.

Posted from a D618
    03-21-15 07:22 PM
    Thanks. Was just wondering why he believes the report was false and misleading.

Posted from a D618
    Lol yeah that bit he is off, the chart doesn't claim to show b2b sales

Check Out TechCraze
    03-21-15 07:24 PM
87 1234