03-24-15 08:05 AM
87 1234
tools
    Argghhh....dont rub it in... all I want to do is try one, but nothing anywhere, and I can't afford to just buy one and hope its ok, I know the phone is great I just need to try it for the size.... still as I said at least I'm on a cheap sim only plan now so the money saved is going towards a purchase when I do find one :-)
    Sorry didn't mean to rub it in. I know how I felt when I couldn't find one to try before deciding whether to buy or not. SO frustrating!! They are getting to more stores now though. Lots of Carphone Warehouses and even some Vodafone stores are keeping demonstration models. Keep looking, they are out there.

Amazing Blackberry Passport! SQW100-1. 10-3-1-1565
    Conan69 likes this.
    03-01-15 08:50 AM
    Not surprised, I haven't seen one advert, not on Telly, the radio, Bill Boards, Bus Stops, bloody nothing, people don't know it exists.
    True story. Couldn't have said it better.
    03-01-15 10:24 AM
    Exactly my sentiments.I sincerely hope & wish that the BBRY guys are watching and listening to this particular discussion. BB10 OS is way ahead of any other OS, its just that blackberry itself refuses to believe in it.They got to pull up their socks and at least be present in the 'prosumer' market which in by itself is huge
    03-01-15 10:30 AM
    Wow maybe everyone can finally stop saying the US is to blame. I'm finally seeing some device conversions in Federal space.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 11:16 AM
    [WARN]Let's take a step back and relax, please. Taking someone to task over typos or grammar is not what the thread is about. If you're not certain of the intended point of a post, just ask (without criticising).[/WARN]

(And yes, I've deleted those posts and where they were quoted.)
    03-01-15 11:17 AM
    BlackBerry's UK User Base Plummets to Below 1 Million - eMarketer

I don't know one person here in the UK who's upgraded from BBOS to bb10. I once had 172 contacts on BBM now I have 2 and even those contacts barely use it and they're using it on android.

I love my bb10 device (Z10) and I'm hoping they announce a new flagship touch phone at next week's MWC. If not I'm definitely moving on.

I reckon Bbry are fighting a losing battle that not even John Chen can fix on his own. Selling the company to Samsung wasn't a bad idea imo

Posted via CB10
    I know lots and lots of people in the UK who now use BB10 and previously used BBOS - however, the majority of these are/were corporate-mandated devices (law, accountancy, public sector, etc).

I know quite a few BB10 users in the UK who have small businesses and have stuck with BlackBerry as they find that BlackBerry devices are best for their work requirements.

I know some, but far fewer, BB10 users (ex-BBOS) who don't have any 'work reasons' for using a BlackBerry (Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport).

I do know lots and lots of ex-BBOS users, who had BBOS in their teens and early twenties when data fees & texts were expensive, who now use Android & iOS instead (and one Windows phone user!).

My view is that if a smartphone user wants lots and lots of apps, and isn't that fussed about security - why buy a 'premium' BlackBerry when there are much cheaper and more app-laden alternatives out there?

My long-term belief is that BlackBerry is going back to it's core market of enterprise professionals and other niches that have a need for a highly productive and secure smartphone.
    xpandedreality likes this.
    03-01-15 01:22 PM
    Gotta love these conspiracy theorists. They always brighten up my day.

Posted from a D618
    Count me among them.

When you have a Television set that can be commanded by voice, that same set is capable of transmitting other sounds- voice- etc, back to the manufacturers. It isn't just theory anymore, it's here and now.

Gotta love those who enjoy their blinders...

"S*****g does not retain voice data or sell* it to third parties. If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search. At that time, the voice data is sent to a server, which searches for the requested content then returns the desired content to the TV."
    * Cleverly worded? You be the judge.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-01-15 02:25 PM
    Count me among them.

When you have a Television set that can be commanded by voice, that same set is capable of transmitting other sounds- voice- etc, back to the manufacturers. It isn't just theory anymore, it's here and now.

At least someone understands where I am coming from lol

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 02:29 PM
    Count me among them.

So...in other words...the TVs behave just like BlackBerry Assistant.

BlackBerry Assistant Terms
    BlackBerry Assistant allows you to orally dictate text and/or give commands to your device, and have results provided to you (e.g. convert your spoken words into text) ("Responses"). When you use BlackBerry Assistant, your voice instructions ("Audio Data") will be recorded and used to process your requests and to provide and improve the products and services available to you. In order to accurately recognize and process your requests, Audio Data, information about your contacts ("Contacts"), the names of applications and songs in your music playlist(s), location information (where available), and device-related information (collectively "User Data") may be sent to servers of BlackBerry Limited or its subsidiary companies and service providers ("BlackBerry"), and is subject to BlackBerry's Privacy Policy available at BlackBerry Legal Notices - US. Your Contacts will be sent to BlackBerry in encrypted form, but for performance reasons other User Data and Responses may be transmitted in an unencrypted format. Please review the Settings menu on your device if you wish to adjust applicable controls for location information or BlackBerry Assistant.

BlackBerry Assistant Terms - US
    03-01-15 02:38 PM
    I don't use BlackBerry assistant's voice features, in fact I've only used it once just to see if it was working in 10.3.1. xxxx

I also review all my permissions and unless I have a need for location services, it's turned off as well.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-01-15 03:05 PM
    BlackBerry assistant is not great

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-01-15 03:08 PM
    BlackBerry was never about the end consumer, and we see that in the forums day after day with the barely tolerable questions being asked over and over... they were corporate devices, and once ios and android began breaking into the enterprise their dominance was no longer.

Add to the problem the perceived BISGate issue where BlackBerry gave away the privacy and security of it's middle eastern customers, and you have a 1-2 punch. That is big money there, and when that money pulled out of the company, the stock went into it's tailspin and you have what we have now.

There is very little big money backing BlackBerry.
    03-01-15 04:41 PM
    BlackBerry assistant is not great

Posted via CB10
    I don't use BlackBerry assistant's voice features, in fact I've only used it once just to see if it was working in 10.3.1. xxxx

I also review all my permissions and unless I have a need for location services, it's turned off as well.

Posted via CB10
    Are you guys Americans, by any chance?
    techvisor likes this.
    03-01-15 08:50 PM
    Of course... that's why I wear a ton foil hat.

Actually I wear a red and white toque with maple leafs on the sides.

Posted via CB10
    nhanken and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-01-15 10:04 PM
    Count me among them.

Yeah, the Telescreen is real... 8-o

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-02-15 03:49 AM
    government bodies don't want users to have secure inaccessible handsets. Hence why media propaganda has been used to this effect.

As you know the UK and USA media is full of lies.

Evil pigs.

Posted via CB10
    I think you need some more tinfoil...
    03-02-15 05:49 AM
    Interesting stats. Fortunately BlackBerry has become proactive with its business plans and future strategy. Yesterday and today's MWC announcements tells all.
    Sincerely, I'm quite comfortable and happy that John Chen has stated again that he intends to continue making a few awesome devices each year. BlackBerry staying profitable means I get my new devices and OS updates regularly, so small or large user base should be of no consequence to me.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-02-15 08:31 AM
    Interesting stats. Fortunately BlackBerry has become proactive with its business plans and future strategy. Yesterday and today's MWC announcements tells all.
    Sincerely, I'm quite comfortable and happy that John Chen has stated again that he intends to continue making a few awesome devices each year. BlackBerry staying profitable means I get my new devices and OS updates regularly, so small or large user base should be of no consequence to me.
    As long as they make a high end all touch, and don't use a BlackBerry experience on iOS and Android as a way out of the high end all touch market I'm fine with this as well. If BlackBerry tells me to buy another device if I don't a PKB, then I'm not going to be happy and I will just write off the brand. IMHO they committed to higher end all touch with the PlayBook and the Z line, and I have had both, and I expect them to continue with it.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk and techvisor like this.
    03-02-15 09:02 AM
    As long as they make a high end all touch, and don't use a BlackBerry experience on iOS and Android as a way out of the high end all touch market I'm fine with this as well. If BlackBerry tells me to buy another device if I don't a PKB, then I'm not going to be happy and I will just write off the brand. IMHO they committed to higher end all touch with the PlayBook and the Z line, and I have had both, and I expect them to continue with it.

Posted via CB10
    I think it is safe to say that John Chen and his crew have "big" egos and wouldn't want to be labelled as failures, so I am willing to bet that we would continue to see them make innovative devices (including some high end "all touch") as soon as BlackBerry's profitability is properly secured or stabilized.
    03-02-15 09:13 AM
    Guys come on, BlackBerry has just broken even, QNX recently announced its installed in 50% of the car industry plus a whole host of new products, BES free trials have just ended!!! Meaning service revenue is about to get a boost, BBM is continually seeing updates and is in the top 15 users spend the most time in!

BlackBerry has just made some recent hires on the sales side.. just give it a little time! Like someone said above people buy a new phone every two years mostly, so any marketing effect today may only be seen up to two years later..

Have a little patienceee

Check Out TechCraze
    No, they didn't. This most recent quarter saw a GAAP $148m loss...

Chen and company calculated an adjusted modest profit from operations.
    03-02-15 05:40 PM
    That's what happens when they build devices for so long people don't want... Wasn't until passport sort of got it right and then dumbed down classic and iirated many and then only black.. So what should have been a great device is now just soso and the OS is still years later missing lots and functionally behind os7.. What else can be expected. So sad.

Bb10 yeah better browser, better and more stable as a coding but from a functional business user still way off. Everything takes so many more steps and the calendar is a disaster in how not to do a calendar app, let alone for business minded users. I like not pulling battery, I like few crashes, I like larger screen from os7 days, but that's it. Nothing else about bb10 is better to os7 from a usability perspective.
    03-02-15 06:24 PM
    Guys come on, BlackBerry has just broken even, QNX recently announced its installed in 50% of the car industry plus a whole host of new products, BES free trials have just ended!!! Meaning service revenue is about to get a boost, BBM is continually seeing updates and is in the top 15 users spend the most time in!
    BlackBerry broke even because of massive cuts to offset costs vs revenue. Not because they're suddenly making more money.
    03-02-15 08:17 PM
    All those theories of "them" not wanting "us" to use BlackBerry phones because they appear to be a tad more secure are absolutely ridiculous and the last helpless try of fanboys to blame someone else for the failure of BlackBerry in the markets.

It's not someone else blocking BlackBerry, it's just the public not wanting to use BlackBerry phones anymore for exactly the reasons that have been brought up here.

Can you blame them? I don't think so. BlackBerry has messed up in the past and they were way too late to the game, just like Microsoft. Do you want to tell me now that Microsoft is the victim of worldwide conspiracies against them too? It's simple market forces and consumers are unforgiving. They're not going to switch back to BlackBerry simply because they like the brand. While there may be some users like that, just like here on CrackBerry, and I may count myself one of them too, the consumer market is different and that's where you have to be in the end if you want to gain market share. Not the security loving corporate market and neither the keyboard enthusiast market.

And I dearly hope that BlackBerry is not becoming the brand of paranoid tinfoil-hat users because that would be the last thing the brand has deserved.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, mornhavon, jmr1015 and 4 others like this.
    03-03-15 05:17 AM
    Well if your life evolves around what you see on your television the I genuinely feel so sorry for you.

Posted via CB10
    Skies falling run......
    techvisor likes this.
    03-03-15 10:04 AM
    why buy a 'premium' BlackBerry when there are much cheaper and more app-laden alternatives out there?
    That would be a great theory except more expensive phones outsell BB in enterprise markets in the UK - not BYOD but corporate issued.
    techvisor likes this.
    03-03-15 11:19 AM
87 1234