09-27-13 07:41 PM
385 ... 678910 ...
tools
    An amazing number of posters here just don't get how this works.

Fairfax, if it gets financing, will be carrying a ton of debt that it will have to retire as soon as possible to cut costs.

This does not "save" Blackberry, it just starts a new path. The company will start getting broken up and pieces sold off to retire the debt.

There will also be many more layoffs coming.

At the end of the piece there will be precious little left of the "Blackberry" you claim to love so much.

LBO's rarely work to the advantage of current employees or customers. They are about taking the business apart to sell the pieces for a profit.

You got what you have been praying for, hope you like the outcome.
    Yeah like you know...... this company still was not in debt with the loss, you and others in these forums are just pissed because it's not the nail in the coffin and going under wishes everyone was hoping for.

Going private us great, now just have to wake people up to how great bb10 really is.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 03:52 PM
    Your original statement implied that they'd rather sell the company for 2.1 billion rather than make a profit off of their current operating business, just so they can be "rid of" the stock market.

Think about that for a second, it makes no sense.
    I was stating that an investment company wouldn't buy BlackBerry for $5 billion (take the $2.5 billion in cash) and turn around and sell the parts for $3 billion ( a high estimate) when they could possibly make that $5 billion in profit each year.

BlackBerry BOD or major stock holders, those who are buying the company, would prefer not to have to worry about their stock shares dropping due to analyst hit pieces, so it would be better if they did take it private and just take the profit as being part owners. However, it isn't truly private, because it is an investment group and not just a few people or an individual. So, the profits from BlackBerry would end up going to the investment group to either reinvest or pay out to their shareholders (something BlackBerry didn't do with their stock).

Again, I (and probably most of the minor share holders) would rather the company weather the storm and in 2 years return to profitability and increased market share, but the hit pieces and analysts aren't going to let that happen. So, their best bet is to go private, if you want BlackBerry to stay around.
    09-23-13 03:53 PM
    That's bull **** dude, he probably had even more clauses in his contract for bonus's to make 100 million dollars if the company did well and succeeded. So you can't sit there and say he didn't try at all because he was going to make 57 mil from doing nothing, im sure he would have made a hell of a lot more if BlackBerry actually succeeded
    You just made all that information up, didn't you?
    FSeverino, JeepBB and danprown like this.
    Smart phone market has grown, so percentage of the pie may not be the same size, but the pie has gotten larger.

But, 77 million users at $18 billion (2012) is higher than 14 million users at $6 billion (2008), no matter how you cut it.
    So going from almost 50% market share in 2009 to now 2.1% is just because the smartphone has grown?? Think about that, from almost 50% to 2.1% in only 3 1/2 years.
    milo53 and mset like this.
    It will no longer be the BlackBerry we know.

Do you know their exact plans and can you predict the future?
    No it will not be the BlackBerry as we know it, which is a good thing.

It will no longer be beholden to shareholders, subject to the whims of crass stock analysts and others. The owners will be beholden only to themselves and to protect their capital investment.
    FSeverino likes this.
    Not if you were making money on those 14 million, but losing it on those 77 million.
    Attachment 204792
    They made a profit in Q4 of last year.

How much should the company be worth in comparison? Less than when they made less of a profit 5 years ago?
    09-23-13 03:54 PM
    *SNIP*
    Again, I (and probably most of the minor share holders) would rather the company weather the storm and in 2 years return to profitability and increased market share, but the hit pieces and analysts aren't going to let that happen. So, their best bet is to go private, if you want BlackBerry to stay around.
    So you're in the BB can do no wrong, blame the media camp.
    I now understand your perspective, or lack thereof. Thanks for clarifying.
    danprown and richardat like this.
    09-23-13 03:55 PM
    March of 2012 was the first announcement.
    By who bgr? Really reliable source. They were just about to release bb10 no sale was mentioned, next please. Lol

Posted via CB10
    FSeverino likes this.
    09-23-13 03:55 PM
    @ jvoisin - very much agree with your statement. Interesting that this letter of intent to purchase came into light just after the Q2 pre-announcement. This is horrible and I have a feeling there will be investigation into this matter.
    09-23-13 03:56 PM
    So going from almost 50% market share in 2009 to now 2.1% is just because the smartphone has grown?? Think about that, from almost 50% to 2.1% in only 3 1/2 years.
    I didn't say that was the case.

They have more users now, then when they had 50% of the market place. I'm not giving them high-fives for losing market share. I'm pointing out that revenue, customers and profits are higher now than back in 2008 when the stock price was 10x what it is now.
    09-23-13 03:56 PM
    So you're in the BB can do no wrong, blame the media camp.
    I now understand your perspective, or lack thereof. Thanks for clarifying.
    Good grief.
    I'm not saying that.

But, tell me. What is worse, not delivering a free product that will cost you money to provide on a date that you didn't announce or that your "secure" method of logging into your brand new high end phone got hacked in 24 hours?
    09-23-13 03:59 PM
    Good grief.
    I'm not saying that.

But, tell me. What is worse, not delivering a free product that will cost you money to provide on a date that you didn't announce or that your "secure" method of logging into your brand new high end phone got hacked in 24 hours?
    is the answer "nine million sold in a weekend?" or "broken up by the asset strippers?" - I think it's one or the other, maybe both?
    09-23-13 04:00 PM
    So thorny finally got the stock devalued enough that fairfax bought it.. now he can collect is severance and retire.. good for him..bad for everyone else.. 9 bucks a share is a clear middle finger to all investors.
    Accurate statement!
    09-23-13 04:01 PM
    Yeah like you know...... this company still was not in debt with the loss, you and others in these forums are just pissed because it's not the nail in the coffin and going under wishes everyone was hoping for.

Going private us great, now just have to wake people up to how great bb10 really is.

Posted via CB10
    Do you realize the gist of your post can be paraphrased as "I have no idea how a buyout works"?

The poster to whom you were responding is correct. Prem Watsa and his consortium are not coming up with the $4.7 billion out of their own pockets. They are financing. They will have a lot of debt. The debt-equity ratio will no doubt take into account the $2.6 billion in cash, but you can bet that won't cover it.
    mikeo007, Saiga and danprown like this.
    09-23-13 04:02 PM
    I didn't say that was the case.

They have more users now, then when they had 50% of the market place. I'm not giving them high-fives for losing market share. I'm pointing out that revenue, customers and profits are higher now than back in 2008 when the stock price was 10x what it is now.
    That is because a stocks price is largely determined by future events. Sure making a profit today is important, but a stocks worth is based on its future revenues, profits and growth. Investing in stocks is not about todays profits it is about speculating on tomorrows profits. Right now BBRY has a very murky outlook and that is why the stock is under $9. Losing market share is a huge red flag on Wall Street, and doing it the way BBRY did was epic.
    TGR1, mikeo007 and Fuzzballz like this.
    09-23-13 04:03 PM
    Do you realize the gist of your post can be paraphrased as "I have no idea how a buyout works"?

The poster to whom you were responding is correct. Prem Watsa and his consortium are not coming up with the $4.7 billion out of their own pockets. They are financing. They will have a lot of debt. The debt-equity ratio will no doubt take into account the $2.6 billion in cash, but you can bet that won't cover it.
    Fairfax Financial is an insurance company, they are not looking for a long term investment in a cell phone manufacturer. With in 3 years BBRY will be split up and chopped up into pieces.
    JeepBB and danprown like this.
    09-23-13 04:05 PM
    And the folks responsible are rewarded with obscene bonuses.
    09-23-13 04:06 PM
    Fairfax Financial is an insurance company, they are not looking for a long term investment in a cell phone manufacturer. With in 3 years BBRY will be split up and chopped up into pieces.
    Where did you get the 3 years number. Who told you this . ???

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 04:06 PM
    Good grief.
    I'm not saying that.

Don't make this a comparison with Apple. Remember, while BBRY was agreeing in principle to a sell itself at $4.7 billion, Apple was selling $5.4 billion in iPhones in just three days.
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    09-23-13 04:10 PM
    Get ready for a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT... this deal will not fly
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 04:10 PM
    Because everything else is rumor. This is fact. The only identified buyer for BBRY has offered $9 per share. End of story.

CNBC still says share holders should be thrilled.
    ok... i never said my FACT was that share is worth 11 - 14. i merely said, going on another post, that this can be a play to show that SOMEONE is interested in BB so that others may know they have to place their bid now. I said, in about 5 posts in a row that I think this deal will be the one that goes through. im just elaborating on all the theories posted by others.
    09-23-13 04:11 PM
    That is because a stocks price is largely determined by future events. Sure making a profit today is important, but a stocks worth is based on its future revenues, profits and growth. Investing in stocks is not about todays profits it is about speculating on tomorrows profits. Right now BBRY has a very murky outlook and that is why the stock is under $9. Losing market share is a huge red flag on Wall Street, and doing it the way BBRY did was epic.
    Very well put, but market fundamentals aren't operating as they should, or at least how they used to.

The US markets only speculate on how long the Fed is going to keep buying US debt, but I digress.
    LoganSix likes this.
    09-23-13 04:11 PM
    Where did you get the 3 years number. Who told you this . ???

Posted via CB10
    How long do you think they are going to want to hold onto it for?? They certainly are not going to want to continue manufacturing phones that do not sell. That leaves the operating system and the patents. Doesnt take long to unload those.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-23-13 04:13 PM
    Very well put, but market fundamentals aren't operating as they should, or at least how they used to.

The US markets only speculate on how long the Fed is going to keep buying US debt, but I digress.
    Of course there are some external factors that affect the market, the Quantitative Easing that has been going on has propped up a very weak market. But, none of that really comes into play in the BBRY situation. BBRY has dug their own grave, now they have to lie in it.
    09-23-13 04:16 PM

And because of that debt... I don't see them being interested in taking any chances with BB10.
    09-23-13 04:22 PM
385 ... 678910 ...