09-27-13 06:41 PM
385 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Actually. According to reports of BBM being worth $5 a share that would mean BBM alone could bring in 2.5 billion, plus the 2.6 billion in cash. That covers the buy right there...

Posted via CB10
    Sadly it doesn't work like that - BlackBerry would not be able to keep the lights on the following month, or pay wages, or whatever other fixed/variable costs are in the mix. And no, the sales of the devices, or whatever revenue, wouldn't cut it either.

This is only the first offer - let's see where it goes and whether or not any other players jump in...

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    09-23-13 01:55 PM
    Never going to happen, especially since Watsa already has 10% of the company.
    See the post above about this being a bluff/value play.

I'm not agreeing with it, but... it is a bit weird that 4.7 is the number settled on, meaning a nice even 5b can outbid. and since no one is offering before this this may be a play by Fairfax to get rid of the 10% they have at something above $9

I hope this is a real bid from them bc I think it will be good for the company. At least people will have jobs for a year or so

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:57 PM
    Galaxy S3 vs Z10... I'm sure android won't slow it down.

Posted via CB10
    You need to clean your rose-colored glasses. They're getting foggy.
    mikeo007, bobauckland and mset like this.
    09-23-13 01:57 PM
    Fairfax is willing to pay $4.7 billion for a company with $2.6 billion in cash. They don't need to sell those items at $5 billion to turn a profit.
    And if I was a shareholder of Fairfax, I certainly wouldn't want them to just break even or take the money and run.

So.... still not a logical investment to break up a company capable of making revenues of $11+ billion a year for a profit of $2.5 billion.
    09-23-13 01:58 PM
    Yes they will if $2.6 B of that is cash they are buying. The remaining they can then sell off easily. I can see the intellectual properties (BBM, BES, Patents etc.) easily being parted out for 3 billion collectively and still turning a profit for the seller.
    09-23-13 01:58 PM
    Sadly it doesn't work like that - BlackBerry would not be able to keep the lights on the following month, or pay wages, or whatever other fixed/variable costs are in the mix. And no, the sales of the devices, or whatever revenue, wouldn't cut it either.

This is only the first offer - let's see where it goes and whether or not any other players jump in...

What do you mean?

If they sell BBM for 2.5b they are left with a company that has 2.6b in cash and is the leader in enterprise. They can sell that company for their profit (as anything above 2.6b will make the profit). Then, the companies that buy the pieces are in charge of keeping the lights on.

Like I said, I hope they keep the company together, this is just to answer the question that was posted

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:59 PM
    And if I was a shareholder of Fairfax, I certainly wouldn't want them to just break even or take the money and run.

So.... still not a logical investment to break up a company capable of making revenues of $11+ billion a year for a profit of $2.5 billion.
    I'm going to assume you mean $11 billion in annual revenue, which is largely meaningless if you can't turn a profit.
    richardat likes this.
    09-23-13 02:00 PM
    See the post above about this being a bluff/value play.

I'm not agreeing with it, but... it is a bit weird that 4.7 is the number settled on, meaning a nice even 5b can outbid. and since no one is offering before this this may be a play by Fairfax to get rid of the 10% they have at something above $9

I hope this is a real bid from them bc I think it will be good for the company. At least people will have jobs for a year or so

Posted via CB10
    The reason it is 4.7 billion is because the bid was for an even $9 per share. The actual number will probably be around $9.50 per share.
    09-23-13 02:00 PM
    You need to clean your rose-colored glasses. They're getting foggy.
    Why is it foggy... because you are attached to android? There's plenty of examples online how poor android is in terms of performance, even on great specs.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:01 PM

This is why I think they will keep it.

They need to make it profitable, and as an investment company they probably know how to do that

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:02 PM
    This is not a sale. It is an advertisement. Fairfax has chummed up the water.

A few bucks over $4.7 billion takes the company. I would bet that there will be higher offers now.
    That would be an excellent theory, if everyone on Wall Street were even dumber than Prem. Wall Street ain't gonna bite. $9 is the one and only "offer" that BBRY will get.

BBRY is the ugly spinster. One lonely guy has come along and offered to marry her. His offer doesn't suddenly make her beautiful to all the other guys.
    m1a1mg, Roo Zilla and JeepBB like this.
    Why is it foggy... because you are attached to android? There's plenty of examples online how poor android is in terms of performance, even on great specs.

Posted via CB10
    I use a Nexus 4. Ever held one???
    Why don't you guys stick to the subject already. I'm sure that there are better places for the pissing contest.

Regardless history is full of examples of superior designs and products that are never heard from again because of poor business management. Many times the superior intellectual properties end up never being sold and worthless at the end of the day.
    09-23-13 02:03 PM
    The reason it is 4.7 billion is because the bid was for an even $9 per share. The actual number will probably be around $9.50 per share.
    Again, I know that... it leaves higher bids open though. Like $10, considering $11 and $14 were floating around a few weeks ago we can see another bid.

Again, I hope whatever happens I will ( able to buy a great BlackBerry phone in the future... running BB10

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:03 PM
    If they sell BBM for 2.5b
    BBM for $2.5 billion? WhatsApp has at least five times the user base and it's been valued (inflated, I would say) at only $1 billion.
    danprown, richardat and felixweber like this.
    09-23-13 02:05 PM
    I don't mean to seem too harsh but I have no sympathy for the shareholders. They knew the company was failing, they kept voting the same board back in year after year and now they want to complain when it all goes tits up! Give me a break.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    09-23-13 02:06 PM
    That would be an excellent theory, if everyone on Wall Street were even dumber than Prem. Wall Street ain't gonna bite. $9 is the one and only "offer" that BBRY will get.

BBRY is the ugly spinster. One lonely guy has come along and offered to marry her. His offer doesn't suddenly make her beautiful to all the other guys.
    I can't say for sure if there will be other offers but they are begging for one. I have never heard an acquisition announced this way.

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    09-23-13 02:06 PM
    Do we get the vaseline first at least?
    It won't matter when the instrument of rape is a barned-wire brush.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-23-13 02:07 PM
    I'm going to assume you mean $11 billion in annual revenue, which is largely meaningless if you can't turn a profit.
    They are at $11 billion a year currently with possible yearly loss of $1 billion (only Q2 at the moment).
    They had a loss of $500 million (rounded up) last year, yet still managed to increase cash on hand by $1 billion on revenues of $18 billion.

After shedding dead weight and getting refocused, if they were to regain a tiny teeny bit of market share (signs show that they are) and increase revenues back to $18 billion, they will easily make back the cost of acquisition at $5 billion in one year time.

Why would you break up a company for a quick $3 billion single time payment, when you have the possibility of getting probably twice that amount each year?

And if you wait a year and the phone business still isn't going well, you still have BES and BBM to sell at a high price after BBM is rolled out and more companies have moved to BOD on BES 10.1.
    09-23-13 02:07 PM
    Edit - sorry, this is for FSeverino. Crackberry must be busy as posting (or the app) is acting odd!

That's a good point - I'm just not feeling so... I'm not sure what the word is; "optimistic", I guess. I don't share your optimism.

But I hope I'm wrong. I see BlackBerry being broken up.

09-23-13 02:08 PM
    I don't mean to seem too harsh but I have no sympathy for the shareholders. They knew the company was failing, they kept voting the same board back in year after year and now they want to complain when it all goes tits up! Give me a break.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    The company, stockholders, and fans refused to see the truth and acknowledge that the bridge was out straight ahead. This is the result.
    09-23-13 02:10 PM
    BBM for $2.5 billion? WhatsApp has at least five times the user base and it's been valued (inflated, I would say) at only $1 billion.
    I'm only going by earlier reports. Also BBM is different from WA...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:13 PM
    Again, I know that... it leaves higher bids open though. Like $10, considering $11 and $14 were floating around a few weeks ago we can see another bid.

Again, I hope whatever happens I will ( able to buy a great BlackBerry phone in the future... running BB10

Posted via CB10
    I dont see anyone else coming in to challenge Watsa, certainly not at $11-$14.
    09-23-13 02:15 PM
    I'm worried about the app ecosystem if this happens. It might never grow again...

Posted via CB10
    Public or private, it's all about the apps, eh?

Hopefully someone buys the playbook division and provides a proper OS for it.
    Oh, yeah. Everyone hold their breath for that one.
    09-23-13 02:18 PM
    I dont see anyone else coming in to challenge Watsa, certainly not at $11-$14.
    Deal doesn't go through until Nov. 4th.
    Plenty of time between now and then.
    09-23-13 02:20 PM
385 ... 45678 ...