09-27-13 07:41 PM
385 ... 34567 ...
tools
    BBRY shareholders on this board are unrealistic. Had this offer not been on the table, BBRY could easily have fallen to 7 USD/share or less. Also, 9 USD is just a starting bid. This is a happy resolution rather than have the sale process drag out any longer.
    I don't think there is going to be any other bid beyond what is on the table so to an extent I disagree of this being a starting bid. Time will tell though.

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-23-13 02:38 PM
    It is unfair that these people with insider information, knowing about the $Billion loss can be involved while regular investors are left in the dark.
    Then they make this announcement a week early to drive down the price from almost $11/share.
    I think there will be howls of protest.
    However, stock losses aside, I would rather the company focus on getting out a good product and stabilizing themselves so that they are around for the long run
    Keep dreamin'
    JeepBB likes this.
    We haven't heard Mike L's name in the reporting this morning, but I understand that he and Watsa have been trying to work out a deal together. If that's the case then I agree with you, that "Plan A" is to try to save the company pretty much as it is.

There's a lot of potential in that proposition. If BlackBerry's future is more assured, it will be easier for them to get corporate and government business. It might even tip a few on-the-fence consumers. I'm still hopeful that the 10.2 update will bring us at least a few more major, key apps as Android ports and convince more developers to try the platform out.
    Right, I heard some news reports that Mike was also talking to some equity firms about making a bid. He has held on for so long and BlackBerry is his legacy bascially. It seems like if he could find a way to be in the deal, he would.

Also, isn't this deal more like $2.1 Billion, because BlackBerry has $2.6 Billion in cash. Doesn't that essentially belong to Fairfax once they take the company private?
    09-23-13 02:39 PM
    So if things go according to what many prophets have been saying over here i.e. broken up and sold in parts, what happens to CrackBerry?
    Lol. Stick around longer to find out

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    09-23-13 02:39 PM
    So if things go according to what many prophets have been saying over here i.e. broken up and sold in parts, what happens to CrackBerry?
    Well, there will be a "Crack" site and a "Berry" site.
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    09-23-13 02:40 PM
    Right, I heard some news reports that Mike was also talking to some equity firms about making a bid. He has held on for so long and BlackBerry is his legacy bascially. It seems like if he could find a way to be in the deal, he would.

Also, isn't this deal more like $2.1 Billion, because BlackBerry has $2.6 Billion in cash. Doesn't that essentially belong to Fairfax once they take the company private?
    They have to buy the company... if the company has cash it belongs to the company. so Fairfax is paying 5b but they do get a company with 2.6b in cash

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:41 PM

Hopefully someone buys the playbook division and provides a proper OS for it.
    I'm sure companies will line up to buy the division of a dead tablet that was abandoned over a year ago to make a proper OS for it.
    I think shareholders will not accept this. It is a starting bid.
    Yeah sell 2011 hardware as 2013 ones..they haven't succeeded in 7 months ..consumers are smarter than you think
    No they aren't
    Bobby Nweze likes this.
    09-23-13 02:42 PM
    Yeah sell 2011 hardware as 2013 ones..they haven't succeeded in 7 months ..consumers are smarter than you think
    Z30,Z10,Q10 isn't 2011 hardware... 2012 maybe but still not out of date... I can tell you that a android device running on the same specs as the Z10 runs slower. Guess why that is?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:45 PM
    Actually that's a NO. Think of them as fig leaves that moves in the direction of d wind. The media rules, consumers follow.

09-23-13 02:47 PM
    I find it interesting, yet not surprising, that none of the big players were interested in buying Blackberry as a whole.

Anyway, here's what will happen:

- the company will be broken up and sold for parts. The most valuable part being the patents
    - the handset business and BB10 will be killed off
    - QNX may be sold off... hard to say as it's not worth that much anyway
    - Blackberry will concentrate mostly on BES, BBM and any other backend/enterprise software solutions

Blackberry will remain alive for at least another year, but the Blackberry we know today will cease to exist.
    Within a year or two it'll be determined if the company can return to profits again - if not, the remaining IPs will be sold off to anyone interested at rock bottom prices and it's all over.
    JeepBB likes this.
    How on earth do you know that?

Edit: not saying he IS involved, just that that's a pretty definitive statement.
    Posted via CB10
    Because Lazaridis was looking at putting together his own group but didnt get nearly enough support from private equity to have a realistic shot. I posted stuff last Friday in another thread about Watsa and Fairfax buying BBRY.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    I find it interesting, yet not surprising, that none of the big players were interested in buying Blackberry as a whole.

- the company will be broken up and sold for parts. The most valuable part being the patents
    - Blackberry will concentrate mostly on BES, BBM and any other backend/enterprise software solutions

Blackberry will remain alive for at least another year, but the Blackberry we know today will cease to exist.
    Within a year or two it'll be determined if the company can return to profits again - if not, the remaining IPs will be sold off to anyone interested at rock bottom prices and it's all over.
    How will QNX and BB10 killed but BlackBerry focus on bes and bis? BYOD?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:49 PM

LOL guess again

09-23-13 02:49 PM
    Because Lazaridis was looking at putting together his own group but didnt get nearly enough support from private equity to have a realistic shot. I posted stuff last Friday in another thread about Watsa and Fairfax buying BBRY.
    He still has at least 6 weeks...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:50 PM

Nobody is going to buy BlackBerry just for BBM and BES at $5 billion or more.
    What would be the point of an investment company buying a company for $5 billion if they don't want to make a profit on it?
    Poirots Progeny and LP_Rigg like this.
    09-23-13 02:50 PM
    It is unfair that these people with insider information, knowing about the $Billion loss can be involved while regular investors are left in the dark.
    Then they make this announcement a week early to drive down the price from almost $11/share.
    I think there will be howls of protest.
    You're kidding right? Insider information? Are you really going to pretend ignorance of everything even though it's been top news related to BBRY for 6 months now?

If you're holding shares, and Fairfax buys them for $9, it doesn't matter whether the current value is $8 or $11. Either way, you're getting $9.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    09-23-13 02:51 PM
    What would be the point of an investment company buying a company for $5 billion if they don't want to make a profit on it?
    Actually. According to reports of BBM being worth $5 a share that would mean BBM alone could bring in 2.5 billion, plus the 2.6 billion in cash. That covers the buy right there...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:52 PM
    I think shareholders will not accept this. It is a starting bid.
    The shareholders will have no choice but to accept it if it is the only bid made. The status quo (i.e., rejecting it outright) is not realistic at this point.

It is a starting bid in the sense that BlackBerry has plenty of flexibility to find a better deal if this one spurs others to bid ($0.30/share break fee is hardly a deterrent to alternatives).

Posted via CB10
    This is not a sale. It is an advertisement. Fairfax has chummed up the water.

A few bucks over $4.7 billion takes the company. I would bet that there will be higher offers now.

Posted via CB10
    Fairfax is willing to pay $4.7 billion for a company with $2.6 billion in cash. They don't need to sell those items at $5 billion to turn a profit.
    richardat likes this.
    Time to buy a Z30! Haha..

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 02:53 PM
    He still has at least 6 weeks...

Posted via CB10
    Never going to happen, especially since Watsa already has 10% of the company.
    09-23-13 02:54 PM
385 ... 34567 ...