09-27-13 06:41 PM
385 ... 23456 ...
tools
    That's what I'm saying, and once they get a higher valuation in those years they may try to cash in on the investment

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Fairfax intends to hold anything for 3-5 years. Make the purchase, lean it down, and sell it. That's how these things tend to work. They're not looking to manage something like this long term; the quicker the return on investment, the better.
    Bsbudd likes this.
    09-23-13 01:22 PM
    Actually no, if this goes through, it will guarantee the survival of BlackBerry. Fairfax is an investment firm, they are just there to provide capital to BlackBerry. They will not sell it off in pieces.

Posted via CB10
    Really? but users are still not buying its phones and corps are still migrating to other platforms..who the owner is does not matter at this point
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    09-23-13 01:22 PM
    After Blackberry's financial bloodbath announcement last Friday (9/20) and the BBM delay, I think Heins would have been happy with almost any offer.
    And why do you suppose the announcement was made?...do you guys actually think these people are stupid? Reading through these threads to see what the bar-stool prophets have to say is certainly amusing, if they actually had a clue they wouldn't be wasting time speculating on this forum
    phonejunky likes this.
    09-23-13 01:23 PM
    Hopefully someone buys the playbook division and provides a proper OS for it.
    Because the Playbook is such a shining jewel in the Blackberry crown
    Well we all knew it was coming although the fanboys swore it wasn't. I wonder what will become of the company though, and the effect it will have on the economy.
    Software only company coming up soon, focused on business only deja vu all over.The handset market is already game over for Blackberry and will never make a comeback privatized it's going to be cut up for parts. The so called BBM delay which i called BS on was just that from Blackberry all along.

This was in the pipeline before the so called launch and was pulled when there was a pending deal.
    09-23-13 01:24 PM
    I wonder if Mike Lazaridis is involved in the deal at all. If he is, then I don't think the goal is to break the company up.
    09-23-13 01:24 PM
    Take your $9 and run, within a year the company won't exist.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-23-13 01:25 PM
    This is, obviously, all a guess. Although I do take the wording much the same way as this article does

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:25 PM
    Take your $9 and run, within a year the company won't exist.
    Do we get the vaseline first at least?
    09-23-13 01:26 PM
    And why do you suppose the announcement was made?...do you guys actually think these people are stupid? Reading through these threads to see what the bar-stool prophets have to say is certainly amusing, if they actually had a clue they wouldn't be wasting time speculating on this forum
    Well, I think it is now obvious that the Friday 9/20 announcement was made to drive the stock price down. I suspect Fairfax requested/pushed Blackberry to make the announcement.

To be honest, the thing that perplexes me is why Fairfax or any other company that doesn't have an emotional tie to Blackberry would want to buy the company whole.
    09-23-13 01:27 PM
    What is Prem Watsa's 10% BB average share price at, $25-30 ??
    Fairfax has taken a big hit so far, he's going all in now to try and salvage it. So he probably keeps the company mostly intact over the short term, as they try to get re-established in the enterprise market.

Posted via CB10
    This will most probably save BlackBerry. Remember that many corporate customers still prefer BlackBerry but is afraid of upgrading to the new BlackBerry 10 since they didn't know what their future would be. Now with Fairfax on board, it should help

Posted via CB10
    This is so true. Sorry for the shareholders losing money, but this is great news for the future viability of BlackBerry.
    Now they have cut 5,000 more workers and finished the write down of the "old" Z10 devices. They could easily make that $5 billion back by the next financial year.
    What you're failing to understand is that, when you cut thousands of jobs, you decrease worker morale. All the top-flight employees start looking for other jobs. Who wants to be in a company that's being bought and sold and your friends are being given pink slips and nobody knows what's going to happen next?

There will be a brain-drain at BBRY and it will make deadlines even more difficult to meet. It's a downward spiral. If I worked at BBRY I'd have been floating my resume for the past few months at least.
    mikeo007, kbz1960, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    Do we get the vaseline first at least?
    Part of the $Billion BB10 inventory writeoff included a large supply of lithium grease. Enjoy!
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-23-13 01:30 PM
    I wonder if Mike Lazaridis is involved in the deal at all. If he is, then I don't think the goal is to break the company up.
    We haven't heard Mike L's name in the reporting this morning, but I understand that he and Watsa have been trying to work out a deal together. If that's the case then I agree with you, that "Plan A" is to try to save the company pretty much as it is.

There's a lot of potential in that proposition. If BlackBerry's future is more assured, it will be easier for them to get corporate and government business. It might even tip a few on-the-fence consumers. I'm still hopeful that the 10.2 update will bring us at least a few more major, key apps as Android ports and convince more developers to try the platform out.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    Well, I think it is now obvious that the Friday 9/20 announcement was made to drive the stock price down. I suspect Fairfax requested/pushed Blackberry to make the announcement.

To be honest, the thing that perplexes me is why Fairfax or any other company that doesn't have an emotional tie to Blackberry would want to buy the company whole.
    Do some research on what BB actually controls and it's potential and you will see a plan that started long ago
    What you're failing to understand is that, when you cut thousands of jobs, you decrease worker morale. All the top-flight employees start looking for other jobs. Who wants to be in a company that's being bought and sold and your friends are being given pink slips and nobody knows what's going to happen next?

There will be a brain-drain at BBRY and it will make deadlines even more difficult to meet. It's a downward spiral. If I worked at BBRY I'd have been floating my resume for the past few months at least.
    I agree that morale may be down because of the firings... but, if morale was down due to uncertainty and constant speculation that has now changed.

People did get fired, but the ones that were still there had no idea what was happening with the company. From my understanding there can now be no mass layoffs until the sale is complete... right?

Posted via CB10
    Enyigma likes this.
    I don't think Fairfax intends to hold anything for 3-5 years. Make the purchase, lean it down, and sell it. That's how these things tend to work. They're not looking to manage something like this long term; the quicker the return on investment, the better.
    Agreed. Fairfax doesnt want to be a phone manufacturer. It is futile right now to compete with the Apples and Samsungs of the world. Selling of the patents and intellectual properties is how they are going to make their money. Nobody cares about the hardware end of the business, it is a losing proposition.
    09-23-13 01:31 PM
    We will have consumer phones. It just won't be marketed like one. I'm worried about the app ecosystem if this happens. It might never grow again...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah sell 2011 hardware as 2013 ones..they haven't succeeded in 7 months ..consumers are smarter than you think
    09-23-13 01:32 PM
    No he isnt involved at all with this. Lazaridis is a non factor in any of this.
    09-23-13 01:33 PM

Oh, I understand more than you know.

However, I'm sure the people at BlackBerry also understand that a lot of those cut were in part of the company that is no longer valid (OS 7). And the remaining employees now see that going private will help the company keep from having to please shareholders or analysts (more than shareholders) every 3 months with certain results. They will understand that the company can focus on doing company work and not what the stock market is whining about.

Would I have rather seen a CEO that could have made things smoother for the 2 year transition and prevent the company from going private? Heck yes!

However, stock losses aside, I would rather the company focus on getting out a good product and stabilizing themselves so that they are around for the long run, because I know from experience in the PC world, lack of competition is bad.
    09-23-13 01:34 PM
    Do some research on what BB actually controls and it's potential and you will see a plan that started long ago
    How about you explain that plan to everyone? To me, it sure looks like Blackberry is going to (and needs to) downsize significantly, almost definitely pull out of the handset market, and focus on back-end enterprise services. IMO, the private buyout doesn't change the direction where Blackberry is going in terms of the future composition of the company.
    09-23-13 01:35 PM
    No he isnt involved at all with this. Lazaridis is a non factor in any of this.
    How on earth do you know that?

Edit: not saying he IS involved, just that that's a pretty definitive statement.
    Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:35 PM
    So if things go according to what many prophets have been saying over here i.e. broken up and sold in parts, what happens to CrackBerry?
    09-23-13 01:37 PM
385 ... 23456 ...