09-27-13 06:41 PM
385 12345 ...
tools
    Well whatever way it goes...sounds like we will no longer have consumer phones to look forward to. The focus will be enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    We will have consumer phones. It just won't be marketed like one. I'm worried about the app ecosystem if this happens. It might never grow again...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:05 PM
    Well whatever way it goes...sounds like we will no longer have consumer phones to look forward to. The focus will be enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    A Z30 looks like a nice phone for one last dance

If BlackBerry gets a substantial BBM user base, that could be sold, without affecting the integrity of the company.

But yeah, they are leaving the consumer market.

Posted from my Zed 10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-23-13 01:06 PM
    $9 does seem low, but if anything, this shows that BB will continue on in some form for years to come. This might also force someone's hand that might have been hoping to pick up BB if it goes lower. If BBM4ALL finally goes through and is successful, the final bid could be much better for shareholders.
    09-23-13 01:08 PM
    I'm tending to agree that the private move will help a lot to save the company. Fairfax is an investment company, and they need to make money off of this. In the very least they will hold it for 3-5 years in an attempt to make money and maybe sell it after. But it looks more like they want a very long investment with this.

My main question is if I will still be able to buy BlackBerry phones as a consumer. It seems a bit muddled bc the release mentions carriers, but also enterprise focus...

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Blackberry has 3-5 years to turn things around, even in areas where Blackberry is relatively strong right now.

IMO, Fairfax will focus on Blackberry's enterprise strengths and drop just about everything else.
    FSeverino likes this.
    Kevin is in Korea, to help with selling BBM and BB10 to Samsung, everything else will stay at Fairfax.

Lol.
    For all my negative sentiment, here's my worthless take. I think this could save BlackBerry. I don't think it will save shareholders and consumers though. I think the endgame of this route is BlackBerry becoming a strict software company now. I think it's likely we've seen the last of their phones. This is good for the company, but bad for everyone else. This valuation is dramatically lower than almost everyone had thought. I feel sorry for people around here who bought thousands of shares from $30-$80 and were gloating about what a steal it was. I feel sorry for anyone, like myself, who actually likes having a BlackBerry device. I wish I could imagine a scenario where BlackBerry could license the OS and just stop making phones, but I don't know who would manufacture for them. HTC is going under, or close to it, Microsoft owns nokia, Google owns Motorola, Samsung is obviously doing fine with Android alone. I can't imagine them continuing to make phones on their own though. With this move I expect the immediate survival of BlackBerry, I wouldn't expect the company to be sold off in pieces, it could be though. What's especially unique about this situation is it's probably the most likely company to actually be pieced out. The hardware section is worthless so it's probably gone, the enterprise market is it's own cash flow, BBM is probably separating, the consumer software side is also likely going to be gone as there is no real revenue from it. I was honestly hoping for someone who could make phones to bid, I just don't think anyone will.
    Grumblegrumble, vjvj and andy957 like this.
    09-23-13 01:10 PM
    BlackBerry was worth $11/share last week. Now I'm being forced to sell to a major shareholder so they can own all of it for themselves at $9. I call foul.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps you should have read the writing on the wall and sold at $11.00 a share last week.

$9.00 is more than they were worth this morning.

Hopefully someone buys the playbook division and provides a proper OS for it.
    Boy that's an awful confident statement for someone who honestly has no more of a clue than anyone else in this thread about how this will play out.

No matter how it pans out, the BlackBerry we knew yesterday is dead. Major changes in store.

I'm going to take the sit and wait approach, pass the popcorn.
    I hope you're right that the blackberry we knew yesterday is dead and major changes are in store, because the blackberry from last week , last month, last few years was disastrous! I hope that the blackberry we knew yesterday is dead, so that a new blackberry can emerge from the ashes.
    Who is this Fairfax company and what exactly are they about? What do they do/offer?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:12 PM
    We will have consumer phones. It just won't be marketed like one. I'm worried about the app ecosystem if this happens. It might never grow again...

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry going from public to private doesn't change Blackberry's major problems with selling BB10 smartphones, nor does it mean that profitability is no longer critical for the company.
    09-23-13 01:13 PM
    As I understood the deal through statements, it's good for BlackBerry as a company coz brand will be there but bad as shareholder. In A way it is good for them also since is moving down if this is not happening as they already have started using cash for operational stuff.

Few things to note:

- Why buy if they were going to sell it in parts? No its not like that.

- Long term execution : this says a lot of commitment to BB 10.

- We will see less of consumer products though I doubt it but focus will be on getting the enterprise tag back.

- We will see change in pricing strategy and marketing efforts to be more streamlined as this company will buy a lot of debt. Similar to what MS is doing to windows 8.

- what happens to consumer segment? Dont know but they will not ignore it. Maybe look forward to hardware partner to contain cost.

- It will take some more time to get things right.

- we might as well see return of BIS and BES.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:13 PM
    Agree 100%. Seen it many times before...
    09-23-13 01:14 PM
    If BBM4ALL finally goes through and is successful, the final bid could be much better for shareholders.
    That's what makes me wondering if they will proceed with BBM4ALL at all at this time. If you agree to sell your house one day, you don't renovate the basement the next. Bad analogy, but the point is that BlackBerry will not do anything that might cause the buyers to bail. Prem may have different ideas about what to do with BBM. Maybe the pending agreement was why they launch was abandoned in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:16 PM
    Differing theories.

So, is Prem Watsa a softie or a business man? I suspect he's less of a sentimentalist than a numbers kind of guy. We'll see. Hoping they can save the consumer part.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    09-23-13 01:16 PM
    09-23-13 01:17 PM
    I don't think Blackberry has 3-5 years to turn things around, even in areas where Blackberry is relatively strong right now.

IMO, Fairfax will focus on Blackberry's enterprise strengths and drop just about everything else.
    That's what I'm saying, and once they get a higher valuation in those years they may try to cash in on the investment

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:17 PM
    Do we know when BlackBerry will open back up on the stock market today??

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:18 PM
    BlackBerry was worth $11/share last week. Now I'm being forced to sell to a major shareholder so they can own all of it for themselves at $9. I call foul.

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying that as somebody who owns shares in BBRY that you weren't aware of all the news surrounding a likely sale? It's been big news for the last 6 months. Nothing foul about it. You just chose to roll the dice and take a chance by not selling at a better time.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Bsbudd and srfinva like this.
    Blackberry going from public to private doesn't change Blackberry's major problems with selling BB10 smartphones, nor does it mean that profitability is no longer critical for the company.
    They had 1.6 billion in revenue. Meaning the cuts they are planning to do should at least set them back to profits. BB10 isn't selling because people want apps and BlackBerry reputation is at a low point. Bring BBM back up, go private and end the negative headlines and maybe we will see some good changes for next year in sells.

Posted via CB10
    Why buy if they were going to sell it in parts?
    You can't sell what you don't own. It's called "flipping".
    arturobaez likes this.
    09-23-13 01:19 PM
    Fairfax, if it gets financing, will be carrying a ton of debt that it will have to retire as soon as possible to cut costs.
    $5 billion for buying the company.
    They were able to expand the cash on hand by $1 billion last year. Now they have cut 5,000 more workers and finished the write down of the "old" Z10 devices. They could easily make that $5 billion back by the next financial year.
    This is why little guys should never own individual stocks as investment vehicles. You have zero power. Zero. You're a guppy in with sharks. They will always win.
    FCSC and ray689 like this.
    ...and they waited until Kevin fell asleep. Scoundrels...
    jk
    anon(5624621) and axllebeer like this.
    09-23-13 01:20 PM
    From a PURELY business perspective, is BBRY more valuable broken up than kept together? Tough question...
    09-23-13 01:21 PM
    Actually no, if this goes through, it will guarantee the survival of BlackBerry. Fairfax is an investment firm, they are just there to provide capital to BlackBerry. They will not sell it off in pieces.

Posted via CB10
    You absolutely don't know that until there's an official statement from Fairfax.
    09-23-13 01:22 PM
385 12345 ...