09-27-13 06:41 PM
385 1234 ...
tools
    Agreed...

I am curious to see what happens to the stock from here.
    It will briefly go up as short sellers start to cover and it will then drop back into a range of $8.50 to $9.50. Then it will disappear.
    09-23-13 12:51 PM
    I would guess that Heins doesn't care even if it was $1/share.. I suspect he just wants his 57,000,000 dollar golden handshake and to go off and retire...

should never have a golden handshake clause in a contract like that.. no incentive to try and make the company successful.. 57 million reasons to try and bring it down and get it sold off....

Unfortunate.. Hopefully fairfax keeps it together.. replaces management.. and tries to bring them back up to where they very well could be with proper guidance.. but I somehow suspect that they will sell off bits and pieces.. the patents they hold are worth probably more than the 4.7B on the table..
    09-23-13 12:52 PM
    Taken private in this case is not a good thing. BBRY will be sold off in chunks. This is just the beginning
    VJMotz and arturobaez like this.
    09-23-13 12:52 PM
    So thorny finally got the stock devalued enough that fairfax bought it.. now he can collect is severance and retire.. good for him..bad for everyone else.. 9 bucks a share is a clear middle finger to all investors.
    BBRY shareholders on this board are unrealistic. Had this offer not been on the table, BBRY could easily have fallen to 7 USD/share or less. Also, 9 USD is just a starting bid. This is a happy resolution rather than have the sale process drag out any longer.
    09-23-13 12:55 PM
    Wow. Any takes on what this means?

Posted via CB10
    If I were Heins, I would be embarrassed by that offer.
    After Blackberry's financial bloodbath announcement last Friday (9/20) and the BBM delay, I think Heins would have been happy with almost any offer.
    They may very well not approve the sale, but if things deteriorate the shareholders may end up with worthless shares in a bankruptcy..

This is good news for BBRY from a business perspective.
    Well one thing is that most of these are calculated bids. Fairfax already controls 10% of the company. Then we know Mike Lazadis still have a big chunk. They don't need to convince so many people.

They can play the game, either it's 9$ now, or risk of 0$ in a year.

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg, andy957, m1a1mg and 1 others like this.
    09-23-13 12:56 PM
    Wow. Any takes on what this means?

Posted via CB10
    Goodbye BlackBerry.
    09-23-13 12:56 PM
    BlackBerry was worth $11/share last week. Now I'm being forced to sell to a major shareholder so they can own all of it for themselves at $9. I call foul.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-23-13 12:57 PM
    Goodbye BlackBerry.
    Actually no, if this goes through, it will guarantee the survival of BlackBerry. Fairfax is an investment firm, they are just there to provide capital to BlackBerry. They will not sell it off in pieces.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 12:58 PM
    This doesn't mean the shareholders will accept it.
    If there weren't enough controlling interest if shareholders already on board, the letter of intent would probably not have been drafted in the first place.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I don't see how fairfax can add value to bb. prob gonna sell for parts. id much rather lenovo buy bb
    Actually no, if this goes through, it will guarantee the survival of BlackBerry. Fairfax is an investment firm, they are just there to provide capital to BlackBerry. They will not sell it off in pieces.

Posted via CB10
    Boy that's an awful confident statement for someone who honestly has no more of a clue than anyone else in this thread about how this will play out.

No matter how it pans out, the BlackBerry we knew yesterday is dead. Major changes in store.

I'm going to take the sit and wait approach, pass the popcorn.
    JeepBB, arturobaez, Bsbudd and 3 others like this.
    09-23-13 12:59 PM
    If I were Heins, I would be embarrassed by that offer.
    I believe his bonus is around $55mn in case of a sale.......
    09-23-13 12:59 PM
    Taken private in this case is not a good thing. BBRY will be sold off in chunks. This is just the beginning
    I realize words and actions often differ, but it doesn't sound like they're intending to break up BB:
    Prem Watsa, Chairman and CEO of Fairfax, said: "We believe this transaction will open an exciting new private chapter for BlackBerry, its customers, carriers and employees. We can deliver immediate value to shareholders, while we continue the execution of a long-term strategy in a private company with a focus on delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions to BlackBerry customers around the world."
    09-23-13 01:00 PM
    This will most probably save BlackBerry. Remember that many corporate customers still prefer BlackBerry but is afraid of upgrading to the new BlackBerry 10 since they didn't know what their future would be. Now with Fairfax on board, it should help

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:00 PM
    Unfortunate.. Hopefully fairfax keeps it together.. replaces management.. and tries to bring them back up to where they very well could be with proper guidance.. but I somehow suspect that they will sell off bits and pieces.. the patents they hold are worth probably more than the 4.7B on the table..
    Highly unlikely it will be kept together. The consortium will have to pay off the debt it incurred to finance the deal. Continuing to sell Z10s, Q10s, and Z30s isn't going to do it. There are a number of scenarios, I would guess, but I don't see any that would keep them cranking out hardware.
    09-23-13 01:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Really? Want to bet they dont sell off pieces of the company? The profit is from breaking up the company, not trying to revive it.
    JeepBB and arturobaez like this.
    09-23-13 01:02 PM
    Here's the thing I don't fully understand, and hopefully those of you familiar with business transactions like the buyout that just occurred can explain this to me - why would pieces of Blackberry as a private company be any more attractive to buyers than pieces of Blackberry as a public company? According to various reports I've read, Blackberry has been trying to sell itself for over a year. It presumably was trying to attract buyers when its stock hit its low point of $6-7 late last year, and no one bought Blackberry or a part of the company then. (To be fair, perhaps the company received non-publicly reported offers and turned them down.) Why would anyone buy portions of the company now if prospective buyers weren't interested previously?
    Heins only gets the $$$$$ if the company is sold, and they fire him, I wish people would understand that.

Fairfax is buying this to save their own a$$ right now, and it doesn't change the fact that this is a very sick company that needs help fast, and going private does not mean their problems are solved.
    I realize words and actions often differ, but it doesn't sound like they're intending to break up BB:
    Prem Watsa, Chairman and CEO of Fairfax, said: "We believe this transaction will open an exciting new private chapter for BlackBerry, its customers, carriers and employees. We can deliver immediate value to shareholders, while we continue the execution of a long-term strategy in a private company with a focus on delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions to BlackBerry customers around the world."
    To my untrained eye, it looks exactly like they will break up the company, selling off most units and slimming it down to a core enterprise business.
    FYI .... link to G&M story. Prem has been on the board of BBRY for a while so my guess is that he's less inclined to have a fire sale of assets than to try to refocus and build than other financial investors/private equity firms would be.

Fairfax strikes $4.7-billion deal to buy BlackBerry - The Globe and Mail
    Well whatever way it goes...sounds like we will no longer have consumer phones to look forward to. The focus will be enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-23-13 01:03 PM
    And THOR doesn't care what buys sold for...he just cares that it's sold.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:04 PM
    I'm tending to agree that the private move will help a lot to save the company. Fairfax is an investment company, and they need to make money off of this. In the very least they will hold it for 3-5 years in an attempt to make money and maybe sell it after. But it looks more like they want a very long investment with this.

My main question is if I will still be able to buy BlackBerry phones as a consumer. It seems a bit muddled bc the release mentions carriers, but also enterprise focus...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:04 PM
385 1234 ...