09-27-13 06:41 PM
385 ... 1213141516
tools
    guys this is the biggest load of sh*t
    they used all investors to help get bb10 up and running.. now that its getting to a more stable place and they have bbm ready to go cross platform ( which will be worth more then 4.7 alone ) they want to take it private so they can make all the money. just think about how BAD everythng came out these last few months. they weren't even trying to get bb10 out there.
    them saying they want to go private because of the public is a load of BS. before the HUGE fail of the bbm launch atleast 60% of the world knew nothing about blackberry. HOW am i the only one that see's this?!!!
    if you think bbm is worth 4.7 million dollars alone, i don't think anyone will be taking you seriously about anything ever again. Everyone knows who and what BlackBerry is, BBM wasn't about to introduce itself to the world, people know what it does and what it is. you don't seem to be operating in reality. you think that since the cash flow from bb10 is so large (it isn't, it's in the hole over a billion+) that bbm will somehow generate revenue? (also it won't, it's offered free) and that BlackBerry is going private because they're expecting hoards of new subscribers and want all the money to themselves? this has to be a joke.
    mset likes this.
    09-24-13 07:12 PM
    Prem's primary initiative is to make money. I'm suspecting that he will take BlackBerry private, cut the fat and focus on the enterprise solutions and take that area by storm with the security it offers. I believe handsets will still be available but I would suspect they would sub that out and be supplied by an HTC or LG and built to BlackBerry specs to run BB10. Once they have their groove going again I'll bet they either sell the business to a larger player for profit or take the company public again for a higher IPO than the purchase price.

Posted via CB10
    Same thing the public company should do but screwing current shareholders in the process.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 07:27 PM
    Are you kidding me? First off read again. I said bbm will be worth more. You don't think once bbms released with bbm channels that's it's going to be one of the biggest apps. if the release of bbm actually did happen we Def wouldn't be sitting at $9 a share right now.

Posted from My all in one beauty Z10
    09-24-13 07:29 PM
    I believe all minor shareholders should assemble into one, try to bring Mike Lazaridis and refuse the sale.
    If we become over 50% of shareholders then we change all board of directors including Heinz for the foul play with Watsa, bring new inventors as directors from different companies such as Google, Apple, etc... and we will have a great company within 2 years and stock will shoot to $50.
    Let's do that and give us ideas how to start including all shareholders that feel cheated.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 07:41 PM
    I believe all minor shareholders should assemble into one, try to bring Mike Lazaridis and refuse the sale.
    If we become over 50% of shareholders then we change all board of directors including Heinz for the foul play with Watsa, bring new inventors as directors from different companies such as Google, Apple, etc... and we will have a great company within 2 years and stock will shoot to $50.
    Let's do that and give us ideas how to start including all shareholders that feel cheated.
    There's so much heartache in the world...
    09-24-13 07:45 PM
    When did it ever happen that a company writes down their entire stock of inventory when it is still in a market and trying to sell it at a high price. Z10 is selling at no less than $50 with a 2 year plan. They should have lowered it to zero with a 2 year plan 3 months ago. Even with the new release of Z30 they should have done so, but why they haven't but instead they wrote $950 million.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 07:55 PM
    Come on, almost everything is available to consumers, check eBay.

Unless the U.S. military is going to buy BlackBerry, I don't see any of the phones not being available to 'consumers.' I think Dave was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about the term, but I could be wrong.
    The question is whether you'd want a phone that's only for enterprise and security markets. There's no point to social apps or games. Enterprises make their own wares, which will be inaccessible to you. Security phones will have the very basic features - maybe not even a camera if the company is a high security facility.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-24-13 07:56 PM
    BBM for $2.5 billion? WhatsApp has at least five times the user base and it's been valued (inflated, I would say) at only $1 billion.
    How many enterprises and governments use whatsapp for cross platform secure communications amongst employees?

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-24-13 07:57 PM
    they used all investors to help get bb10 up and running..
    I think you meant "fans/users" instead of "investors" because buying BBRY stock doesn't give the company any money to develop products.
    h20work likes this.
    09-24-13 08:03 PM
    Are you not reading what I'm writing. I said it WILL be worth more. Bbm would be sooo much bigger then whats app plus it will have bbm channels. You seriously can't see the difference?

09-24-13 08:15 PM
    This doesn't mean the shareholders will accept it.
    Exactly. Does anyone know what percentage of shareholders have to agree?
    However your slice it, it's a dark day for investors.
    09-24-13 08:15 PM
    An amazing number of posters here just don't get how this works.

Fairfax, if it gets financing, will be carrying a ton of debt that it will have to retire as soon as possible to cut costs.

This does not "save" Blackberry, it just starts a new path. The company will start getting broken up and pieces sold off to retire the debt.

There will also be many more layoffs coming.

At the end of the piece there will be precious little left of the "Blackberry" you claim to love so much.

LBO's rarely work to the advantage of current employees or customers. They are about taking the business apart to sell the pieces for a profit.

You got what you have been praying for, hope you like the outcome.
    Prem Watsa doesn't buy company's to break 'em up. Hope BBRY won't be the first....
    09-24-13 08:16 PM
    Are you kidding me? First off read again. I said bbm will be worth more. You don't think once bbms released with bbm channels that's it's going to be one of the biggest apps. if the release of bbm actually did happen we Def wouldn't be sitting at $9 a share right now.

Here's how reality works: If BBM did get released and somehow gave the company more worth (it wouldn't as it generates 0 revenue) then the deal probably wouldn't even have happened. You do realize that by BlackBerry going private, that doesn't mean the people currently making money decisions and raking in the money that isn't really there but you seem to think it is, might not be after the deal right? If BBM released and it got download 10 million times, it STILL wouldn't generate revenue for BlackBerry or increase their worth / stock / valuation. What you don't seem to be comprehending is that the bid for the company is the only bid, and it's extremely low. If BBM failing to launch had a negative impact and lowered the valuation, it benefitted a lot of people at BlackBerry because now there's a bid on the table. So no, basically everything you've said is very very wrong.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-24-13 08:19 PM
    IF it had 10 million downloads...lol is that a joke. I would have been surprised if they didn't get 50 million. That would have started a huge hype and they could of generated money through advertising

09-24-13 08:23 PM
    no that isn't capitalism, capitalism is the embracement of a free market. the USA isn't even in the top 15 "freest economies"
    U.S. Doesn't Even Rank In Top 15 Of World's Freest Economies - Investors.com

blaming capitalism is a tired trick of the undereducated. not saying you are, but if you aren't, then don't parrot them.
    I think you are confusing a free market with capitalism. I am far from under educated. A true free market would not allow for bailouts of any private entity with public dollars. The US and Canada have both done this. Yes I realise the arguement is "well those corporations couldn't fail because they employ so many and they are needed". Well guess what? That's not what a true FREE market is. So if you want to use the US as an example of a free market then you have a different definition of what that is. The US is Capitalism at its finest...not a free market.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    09-24-13 08:39 PM
    Fairfax Financial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the general investment line of Fairfax and then second grade (stock acquisitions). Also looking at the board should tell you something.

three layers deep to see where Fairfax is moving its assets would be a good start to have a look as to how BBRY would be able to play a role in their portfolio (since it is a buy out).

Somehow Rogers seem to be a part of it and when you see banks, property and insurance along with tec.
    have a look at MFXchange Holdings, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek as well.

I think it shows what kind of sectors can be serviced by BBRYs assets. I am not fully into it, as to just have had a look, but it looks like BB10 can play a quite significant role as the "carrying platform" to connect these solutions in servicing the industries involved.

Just food for thought, my guess is as good as anyone's...

Lets wait and see
    Considering the media assume Prem hasn't a clue about tech company's, I can see how BlackBerry could fit into this.

It's interesting you mention Rogers too, something my broker said look out for.
    Time will tell...
    09-24-13 08:43 PM
    Stupid question, but can I get shares of Fairfax instead of money for my BlackBerry shares? A way of avoiding the transaction fee of buying Fairfax shares after getting the money from the sale.

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking the same thing.
    09-24-13 08:51 PM
    Those who wanted to implement true free market were "taken care of " long time ago...
    There's no such thing as free market...

...forever BlackBerry...
    ray689 and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-24-13 08:57 PM
    Those who wanted to implement true free market were "taken care of " long time ago...
    There's no such thing as free market...

...forever BlackBerry...
    Agreed 100%

Posted via CB10
    sentano likes this.
    09-24-13 08:59 PM
    I fear announcing the take over bid has damaged public moral for BlackBerry. I still think it's a great product but it hasn't been marketed properly. Your average Joe public still thinks of BlackBerry OS based on the older versions 6 and 7. This perception has to change. I know they want the corporate contracts and buys from organisation's and government s but they have totally failed to push their products in many countries and in some cases continents. It's not a case of bad products but rather brilliant products with bad marketing focus and strategy. BlackBerry's current board has made so many wrong moves it's bordering on criminal in my opinion. Hopefully BlackBerry won't become another case study in organizational suicide in slow measures.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 09:43 PM
    I fear announcing the take over bid has damaged public moral for BlackBerry. I still think it's a great product but it hasn't been marketed properly. Your average Joe public still thinks of BlackBerry OS based on the older versions 6 and 7. This perception has to change. I know they want the corporate contracts and buys from organisation's and government s but they have totally failed to push their products in many countries and in some cases continents. It's not a case of bad products but rather brilliant products with bad marketing focus and strategy. BlackBerry's current board has made so many wrong moves it's bordering on criminal in my opinion. Hopefully BlackBerry won't become another case study in organizational suicide in slow measures.

Posted via CB10
    Dude this recent event isn't the straw that broke the camels back over "public morale" the BlackBerry public imagine has been crap for sometime now over the last year or 2

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-24-13 09:56 PM
    From what I read... and understood off crackberry articles... ffs...

Posted via CB10
    Dave, I get your nervousness and unconfidence. I do. But, lets' think about this for a second. If, in the past 3 years, Blackberry has been marketing to Enterprise and Consumers and the consumers' bought roughly 80% of the BB10 phones sold. Who are prosumers, why haven't they bought already and how does one market to them differently?

So see, I don't know who the hell a "prosumer" is. I don't think Blackberry do either. If I can walk into a AT&T store now and buy a Q10 for example - what's changed from now to when Fairfax take over? Anything? You're suggesting that nothing will change for us with our current relationship with Blackberry. I think (and this is just my reading of what Fairfax has actually said) that they will sell devices (maybe made by a third party e.g. LG or Sony) to Enterprise customers and maybe direct to people online.

I cannot see them selling phones e.g. like the Z30 through carriers anymore. That's what they do now, and they can't afford to keep doing it.
    richardat, mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    09-24-13 10:18 PM
    I was thinking the same thing.
    No, guys. Fairfax is only the lead in a consortium of backers. They are rolling their own 10% shares into the deal to get cash for the shares. You'll get a check. You can buy Fairfax stock after that if you want to double down.
    09-24-13 10:25 PM
    I think you are confusing a free market with capitalism. I am far from under educated. A true free market would not allow for bailouts of any private entity with public dollars. The US and Canada have both done this. Yes I realise the arguement is "well those corporations couldn't fail because they employ so many and they are needed". Well guess what? That's not what a true FREE market is. So if you want to use the US as an example of a free market then you have a different definition of what that is. The US is Capitalism at its finest...not a free market.

Posted via CB10
    No, I used the USA as an example of what the free market isn't. The USA is the opposite of a free market. My point was don't blame capitalism for what's going on in America because it isn't all that capitalist.
    09-25-13 12:36 AM
    Yeah, you don't think it was his intention to drive the stock lower in order to even make this deal? I see a lot of scrutiny coming over the events surrounding this fiasco. Watsa sits on the BB board and presides over it's downfall. Exits last month. A sudden pre-earnings report that crashes the stock further, then a deal to purchase 3 days later @ $9!... Very shady indeed.
    When Watsa joined the board I was stunned at the joy expressed by many here. And when they still didn't raise a peep over him leaving due to conflict of interest. What does he really know about running a company like RIM/blackberry? Did they not see the potential problem with a major investment stakeholder overseeing a struggling company? He was there to keep an eye on Fairfax's stake. No matter the claimed sentiment for the company he is first and foremost responsible to those who entrusted their money to him and they will get back their stake or as much as possible. Even if he cries real tears over the liquidation over blackberry he will do it if it is the most realistic. That is the stark truth.
    09-25-13 05:49 AM
385 ... 1213141516