09-27-13 06:41 PM
385 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Regarding Microsoft... This isn't 1998 any more, and MS is not in a position to throw around billions of dollars "just because it can get a deal", especially after buying Nokia's handset business and the Surface write down .

It will cost billions just to integrate Nokia. Buying BBRY would multiply their costs and headaches, and or what? They have a handset business, an OS that is solid and growing its ecosystem, and a popular messaging system. Oh, and lots and lots of patents. What does BBRY offer?

And about those patents... If they are super asserts for mega-profits, why wasn't BBRY taking advantage of them?

I doubt Fairfax will have competition.
    This. (The last sentence.)

But we can never know for sure.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 09-24-13 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Clearing up point.
    09-24-13 02:11 PM
    Fairfax feeling all pains from iNews, iAnalytics, iJournalists and etc...if you will analyze media, you find great differents...all fans moving pluses to their fan platforms. If WSJ analytic love iPhone he not wrote independent analytics or article...

Sometimes I think about what's happening with people around the world....its like fashion, changable...people love fashion...iPhone is fashion...android is cheap roboto-mobile phone...
    "BlackBerry is sucks" - is just emotion, it's not serious... valuable entrepreneur know time value. Also UI and speed of BB10 is supergood!

"Think different"- is apple quote....but in today time that quote good for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry is company with 10000 people with 3 billions
    Apple around 60000 and hundred billions
    Google around 100K tens or hundred billions
    Microsoft around 100K employees and hunded billions

10000 people with 2 billions made Perfect OS and super fast grow!!!
    It's best company in the market.

Only true analyze show you a full picture.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:14 PM
    If they keep it private and all together, as a customer and loyal fan I am happy. I believe blackberry will come up and they can still make money as a "niche" market. They just have to adjust their financials. It doesn't have to be the #1 phone, it just has to make money.
    Being a niche smartphone platform makes you pretty bad for the consumer market - this is what made it so hard for platforms like Meego to gain traction. I'm sure some consumers with not a lot of needs from their device may buy them, but they will be off limits to the majority of the market.

Additionally, they will not be innovating in their devices/software with the consumer market in mind, so expecting competitive camera hardware, screen tech (as seen in the Z30), and media consumption/production features may be a bad choice going into the future...

The New Blackberry will be at the mercy of Enterprise adoption to stay alive, and I doubt they will plan their business around hardware sales, to the extent that they have in the past, moving forward. They simply cannot expect to sell much these days, especially given corporate upgrade cycles. While many consumers upgrade their phones annually (like many iPhone/Samsung users), corporate issued devices often run until they either die or the two year contract elapses...
    09-24-13 02:16 PM
    Fairfax feeling all pains from iNews, iAnalytics, iJournalists and etc...if you will analyze media, you find great differents...all fans moving pluses to their fan platforms. If WSJ analytic love iPhone he not wrote independent analytics or article...

Sometimes I think about what's happening with people around the world....its like fashion, changable...people love fashion...iPhone is fashion...android is cheap roboto-mobile phone...
    "BlackBerry is sucks" - is just emotion, it's not serious... valuable entrepreneur know time value. Also UI and speed of BB10 is supergood!

"Think different"- is apple quote....but in today time that quote good for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry is company with 10000 people with 3 billions
    Apple around 60000 and hundred billions
    Google around 100K tens or hundred billions
    Microsoft around 100K employees and hunded billions

10000 people with 2 billions made Perfect OS and super fast grow!!!
    It's best company in the market.

Only true analyze show you a full picture.

Posted via CB10
    Are you speaking before or after the flurry of lay offs?
    09-24-13 02:18 PM
    Things do not look good. But they haven't looked good for a long time.

The Fairfax offer is, on the whole, a good thing. Mr Watsa is not a typical rape-and-pillage venture capitalist. His history is one of making counter-intuitive moves. He takes companies down on their luck and puts them back on their feet again. Doesn't mean he can in this case. But he gives it his best shot and often enough succeeds.
    09-24-13 02:22 PM
    Hear that from your inside sources Davey? Or did you pull if from your usual place, where the "sun don't shine"?
    From what I read... and understood off crackberry articles... ffs...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:27 PM
    I am excited about this news. Hopefully Fairfax will infuse BlackBerry with the necessary cash that's needed to seriously compete in the cell market and develop a better app portfolio which has been the downside of blackberry for years.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:29 PM
    As an "average consumer" i don't really care as long as BlackBerry keep producing great smartphones like the BlackBerry 10 range.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:34 PM
    Hopefully Fairfax will infuse BlackBerry with the necessary cash that's needed to seriously compete in the cell market and develop a better app portfolio which has been the downside of blackberry for years.
    Fairfax has stated the focus will be on enterprise. They will make do with the subscriber numbers they have. No major apps will be coming to the platform in waves, that's for sure.
    09-24-13 02:41 PM
    Fairfax has stated the focus will be on enterprise. They will make do with the subscriber numbers they have. No major apps will be coming to the platform in waves, that's for sure.
    Honestly, as far as consumers are concerned, that's the biggest thing I think. Everyone waiting on apps will probably just keep on waiting. The focus is clearly going to be with maintenance and not growth. If that holds true BB10 will have an absolutely worthless subscriber base for developers to make apps for. Only large software firms or people with personal investment in the platform would likely make apps. The upside is 10.2 and the updated runtime. I'm guessing this is where the platform has future life for all of us. It's brilliant now in hindsight, while it may have enabled developers to be lazy and not make native apps, it also enabled the platform to have a life outside of BlackBerry's influence and control. They could shut doors tomorrow and we'd still be able to get new android apps with 10.2 leaks and unlocked runtime for probably a few years.
    AlexXF likes this.
    09-24-13 02:50 PM
    I hope the best for BlackBerry, going private isnt bad thing, it will help to pass by the crisis without having shareholders pressure and i think it allows more liberty for BlackBerry.

I dont think they will leave the consumer market, maybe focus less on it for a time, and once the troubles away grow step by step again. But, first of all, they have to stabilize their situation.

Its also our work to show people that BlackBerry 10 is an awesome os, showing people how does it run and explain them the advantages.

I think BlackBerry is not dead yet. And also hope so. it will be so sad that such a good brand and good os disapear... moreover when the other competitors arent necesseraly best (in technology i mean, concerning marketing, BlackBerry have to learn from Apple) .

That's my optimistic point of view.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 02:55 PM
    From what I read... and understood off crackberry articles... ffs...

Posted via CB10
    Sorry Dave, I don't think you understood it well enough to make outright claims like:
    That's not true. The phones will be available to consumers. But marketed to prosumers.
    In fact, nobody except for the PTB at Blackberry know if this is true or not.
    09-24-13 02:59 PM
    I'm with Dave on this one:

Let's cut the marketing BS for a second and look at the new so-called "niche" market. Who is a prosumer? A prosumer is a professional consumer i.e. a working individual. Considering we all work and would like to be perceived as professionals in our job, that makes us all a 'prosumer' target market. Therefore, consumer and prosumer are identical. It's just about the way you position your target audience.

About the Fair Fax acquisition: is it good or bad?

Answer is: both. Shareholders are receiving the worst part of this, especially those who bought the shares back when BlackBerry was booming. They are probably being bought out at half the price they paid for the share. Therefore, their loss is tremendous.

Employees of BlackBerry will face tricky times. But in my opinion, those who do get let go, probably had it coming. It's a jackass thing to say but let's face it, BlackBerry has been mediocre for the longest time ever, and that ran the company to the ground. There's no room for mediocrity if BlackBerry is to succeed.

Prem Watsa is one heck of businessman with a successful track record of bailing companies out and putting them back on their feet. His first challenge is to pull out the weeds and nurture the roses of the company. Considering he is quite experienced in this already, it should be rather straightforward. Once he knows the right people are in the right place, he will roll out his strategy.

It will be a challenge but I have a feeling we have not seen the end of BlackBerry. On the contrary, now that there are no shareholders breathing down the neck of executives and no media to create that negative buzz among consumers, I think this is the perfect strategy to make good products and get assessed for them, far from the haters, far from the financial results which we really don't care about as consumers and definitely far from that dark cloud of skepticism that has been circling blackberry for the past period of time.

I vote team BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    09-24-13 03:00 PM
    It will be a challenge but I have a feeling we have not seen the end of BlackBerry. On the contrary, now that there are no shareholders breathing down the neck of executives and no media to create that negative buzz among consumers, I think this is the perfect strategy to make good products and get assessed for them, far from the haters, far from the financial results which we really don't care about as consumers and definitely far from that dark cloud of skepticism that has been circling blackberry for the past period of time.
    The focus is going to be on services, not products. Handhelds are not making money, and a buyer saddled with financing debt is not going to have the resources or the time to attempt to succeed where the company has thus far failed. We saw the "prosumer" bit in last week's announcement, but that's just talk, where they'd like to go. Where they actually are able to and will go after a buyout is a whole other story.
    09-24-13 03:10 PM
    Well living in Waterloo all my life I've held a BlackBerry for a very long time and enjoyed watching blackberry grow and putting Waterloo tech sector on the map. Good decisions or bad decisions to me don't matter the real problem is bb10 didn't take hold and layoffs a plenty. It's just one big black eye it's really sad. My hopes is that some company buys it that keeps it here with real interest to offer anything good and positive. At this point I don't have too much faith but what can I do? God speed blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 03:15 PM
    Prem's primary initiative is to make money. I'm suspecting that he will take BlackBerry private, cut the fat and focus on the enterprise solutions and take that area by storm with the security it offers. I believe handsets will still be available but I would suspect they would sub that out and be supplied by an HTC or LG and built to BlackBerry specs to run BB10. Once they have their groove going again I'll bet they either sell the business to a larger player for profit or take the company public again for a higher IPO than the purchase price.

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 and the_sleuth like this.
    09-24-13 03:37 PM
    I'm with Dave on this one:

Let's cut the marketing BS for a second and look at the new so-called "niche" market. Who is a prosumer? A prosumer is a professional consumer i.e. a working individual. Considering we all work and would like to be perceived as professionals in our job, that makes us all a 'prosumer' target market. Therefore, consumer and prosumer are identical. It's just about the way you position your target audience.

About the Fair Fax acquisition: is it good or bad?

Answer is: both. Shareholders are receiving the worst part of this, especially those who bought the shares back when BlackBerry was booming. They are probably being bought out at half the price they paid for the share. Therefore, their loss is tremendous.

Employees of BlackBerry will face tricky times. But in my opinion, those who do get let go, probably had it coming. It's a jackass thing to say but let's face it, BlackBerry has been mediocre for the longest time ever, and that ran the company to the ground. There's no room for mediocrity if BlackBerry is to succeed.

Prem Watsa is one heck of businessman with a successful track record of bailing companies out and putting them back on their feet. His first challenge is to pull out the weeds and nurture the roses of the company. Considering he is quite experienced in this already, it should be rather straightforward. Once he knows the right people are in the right place, he will roll out his strategy.

I vote team BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Point 1, bbry is no team.

Point 2, the axe is gonna drop on 4 to 5000 min. Whole divisions are gonna go. This will be indiscriminate, good, Bad, young, old, the whole lot. Get it right, they did not deserve this.
    09-24-13 04:00 PM
    Sorry Dave, I don't think you understood it well enough to make outright claims like:
    "That's not true. The phones will be available to consumers. But marketed to prosumers."
    In fact, nobody except for the PTB at Blackberry know if this is true or not.
    Come on, almost everything is available to consumers, check eBay.

Unless the U.S. military is going to buy BlackBerry, I don't see any of the phones not being available to 'consumers.' I think Dave was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about the term, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by k8bushlover; 09-24-13 at 04:33 PM. Reason: missing embedded quote
    09-24-13 04:31 PM
    BlackBerry was worth $11/share last week. Now I'm being forced to sell to a major shareholder so they can own all of it for themselves at $9. I call foul.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a little bitter myself. First, due only to market sentiments that punished BBRY for overzealous optimism, and the resulting writedown of unsold inventory, BBRY is undervalued - numerous critics indicate, through suggestions that BlackBerry could be sold for parts at a profit, support this. Further, with the claimed $2B in the bank, and no debt, the actual cost for this $4.7B deal is actually some $2B less, since it would be child's play to redirect the liquid assets into other investments.

As a (minor-very minor) stockholder, I was willing to ride the wave down, and back again - I've stayed with BBRY/RIMM in the days when it was (after the 3-1 split) $2.05, and should have bailed when it topped out at $120/share. Yes, I'm kicking myself into the next state when I think about this, but I'm a believer.

What I'd really like to see is a massive security breach of iPhones and/or Androids, which would provide just the opportunity to let BlackBerry shout it to the rooftops that, if you value your privacy, BlackBerry is the way to go (on a related note, I actually question whether the NSA can actually crack BlackBerry devices at will, if their report, allowing that it was partly true, is also anecdotal). But I really would like to opportunity to see BBRY rise from the ashes, or go broke if I'm wrong...and feel quite trampled that, if I don't give up my stake, I'll lose it all.
    09-24-13 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry should have had more people in the trenches. The release of the z10 should have come with a lot more fanfare. There are too many prejudices against BlackBerry. Even when I purchased purchased the z10 on its release date, the young sales person did everything possible to talk me out of it stating that BlackBerry was going out of business. This was back in March, and it wasn't the first time I heard that tumor.

IMO opportunities to build corporate and media partnerships were missed. Z10 smartphones should have been given away to every high profile entertainer from Donald Trump to Lady Gaga.

We live in a world of sheep, where everyone follows the herd. A world where one iPhone rings and 100 people reach for their own. Lemmings might be a better word. We live in a world of lemmings.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 05:08 PM
    With this deal they are starting from the bottom again, Mike L will be back in his favorite seat doing what he loves without the media looking at his every move. After a couple years of BB being quiet and people finally realizing that the iphone is not Gods gift to mankind BlackBerry will start to make a comeback from the enterprise market to consumer, as they did in the begining.
    The ony thing that kind of piises me off about this is Thor basically wipes some dirt off his shoulder and walks away with $50 someodd million.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    09-24-13 05:28 PM
    If you really want to think about something that should make you realize how insignificant your losses are, 5 years ago RIMM was worth ~$140 a share. Think about the folks who held on. Now they'll get $9 per share!!
    09-24-13 05:54 PM
    The focus is going to be on services, not products. Handhelds are not making money, and a buyer saddled with financing debt is not going to have the resources or the time to attempt to succeed where the company has thus far failed. We saw the "prosumer" bit in last week's announcement, but that's just talk, where they'd like to go. Where they actually are able to and will go after a buyout is a whole other story.
    Totally agree. The handheld market is saturated and today's Samsung is tomorrow's Sony...

BlackBerry's future lies in software on the MDM side, as well as BYOD server management, not consumer cell phones.

If they continue with handsets (and I hope they do), it will be a small niche market.
    09-24-13 06:20 PM
    Not entirely true. It is true they probably will focus on services but if they were to stop their handheld phones, they probably would have stopped the Z30 launch.

At least if not the Z30 launch, we wouldn't be seeing leaks of 2 additional phones coming out sometime in the future right?

It is speculation at this time, but I don't think they will stop their handsets. They have come a long way and invested an lot on BlackBerry 10 OS I doubt they will let it go up in flames.

Makes sense?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 06:46 PM
    guys this is the biggest load of sh*t
    they used all investors to help get bb10 up and running.. now that its getting to a more stable place and they have bbm ready to go cross platform ( which will be worth more then 4.7 alone ) they want to take it private so they can make all the money. just think about how BAD everythng came out these last few months. they weren't even trying to get bb10 out there.
    them saying they want to go private because of the public is a load of BS. before the HUGE fail of the bbm launch atleast 60% of the world knew nothing about blackberry. HOW am i the only one that see's this?!!!
    09-24-13 06:58 PM
385 ... 1112131415 ...