09-27-13 07:41 PM
385 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    You know, just thinking about this for a minute, Microsoft may think this is very cheap. Consider this. They bid $4.8bn. They get 2.6bn in cash straight back, the NOC, Enterprise everything..... They pee that amount every week. This bid may draw them out.
    They peed $900 million from the write down on Surface RT tablet inventory last quarter, so why not?
    09-23-13 08:04 PM
    If Mike L isn't included in this deal he's toast with the rest of the shareholders. He doesn't get to keep his 5% aside.
    For the buyout to happen, don't they just need more than 50%? If that's the case, they just need to "incentivize" a few individuals...
    09-23-13 08:09 PM
    They peed $900 million from the write down on Surface RT tablet inventory last quarter, so why not?
    Other than taking a really silly shot at MSFT, what was your point?
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    09-23-13 08:16 PM
    So what happens if they can't actually get together the money to do this and nobody else bids?
    09-23-13 08:17 PM
    You know, just thinking about this for a minute, Microsoft may think this is very cheap. Consider this. They bid $4.8bn. They get 2.6bn in cash straight back, the NOC, Enterprise everything..... They pee that amount every week. This bid may draw them out.
    You have to also consider Microsoft already has their own very successful enterprise market, that honestly dwarfs BlackBerry already though. MS is doing just fine in that arena, and they wouldn't, or at least I see no reason, why they would be interested in the phones themselves.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-23-13 08:18 PM
    If I were Heins, I would be embarrassed by that offer.
    Why would he give a ****? He doesn't own the company, he just makes out with 57 million dollars while the shareholders get screwed. I'm sure he would have been happy with an offer of $1/share.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 08:25 PM
    And the rich 1% just got richer and the rest of us got the shaft!
    Ahhh Capitalism.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 08:26 PM
    So what happens if they can't actually get together the money to do this and nobody else bids?
    I am assuming you mean Fairfax fails to attain financing (which is not altogether unlikely). In that case, BBRY gets $0.30(?) per share and everything continues like before.
    09-23-13 08:27 PM
    Ahhh Capitalism.

Posted via CB10
    no that isn't capitalism, capitalism is the embracement of a free market. the USA isn't even in the top 15 "freest economies"
    U.S. Doesn't Even Rank In Top 15 Of World's Freest Economies - Investors.com

blaming capitalism is a tired trick of the undereducated. not saying you are, but if you aren't, then don't parrot them.
    09-23-13 09:05 PM
    i think blackberry team will be happy .. no more job cut off.. and no worriesssssss

BlackBerry Stock Halted, Fairfax Bid for 4.7 Billion on the table-gi.jpg
    09-23-13 09:17 PM
    I am assuming you mean Fairfax fails to attain financing (which is not altogether unlikely). In that case, BBRY gets $0.30(?) per share and everything continues like before.
    That deal is one way, Blackberry does not receive the cash if the sale falls through. If it does somehow fall through, the floor will fall out of the stock, and the company will be in utter ruin. They were very desperate to announce a deal like this.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    09-23-13 09:25 PM
    You have to also consider Microsoft already has their own very successful enterprise market, that honestly dwarfs BlackBerry already though. MS is doing just fine in that arena, and they wouldn't, or at least I see no reason, why they would be interested in the phones themselves.
    Microsoft competes in different areas.
    09-23-13 09:25 PM
    You just made all that information up, didn't you?
    No I didn't make it up I didn't say it's 100 percent true either. I just know how these contracts go. Like any other employment contract, you do good, you make more money.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-23-13 09:36 PM
    i think blackberry team will be happy .. no more job cut off.. and no worriesssssss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gi.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	204897
    who said there won't be job cuts?
    09-23-13 09:37 PM
    http://seekingalpha.com/currents/pos...rt_mc_readmore

There's always bad news after good news omg...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:09 PM
    http://seekingalpha.com/currents/pos...rt_mc_readmore

Posted via CB10
    The funniest part of that is that it states Mike L has been asked about this but is not YET involved. But 'jennifer' and others have been saying 'absolutely no possible way;

One of them are wrong...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:14 PM
    As per the cooperate world study .... While some one putting money .. They brings more jobs not to cut the jobs.......

who said there won't be job cuts?
    09-23-13 10:28 PM
    Oh my God
    09-23-13 10:28 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Fairfax not putting additional cash into Blackberry - Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10
    A lot of shareholders don't want the buyout to go through, anyway. Also, if it doesn't go through, Fairfax still has to pay a penalty so free money!

(Though, admittedly, I am inclined to believe shares would decline on the news the deal failed.)
    09-23-13 10:39 PM
    Stupid question, but can I get shares of Fairfax instead of money for my BlackBerry shares? A way of avoiding the transaction fee of buying Fairfax shares after getting the money from the sale.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:51 PM
    If Mike L isn't included in this deal he's toast with the rest of the shareholders. He doesn't get to keep his 5% aside.
    Yup, exactly. But 5% is a lot for Fairfax to ignore... and maybe even more than 5% cause Mike L probably still have a lot of influence with other BlackBerry shareholders.

I think the only fact that Mike L hasn't sold his shares when they were much higher means that he wants to keep them. He may be part of the consortium or maybe had been promised by Fairfax a certain portion of the new private BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 11:05 PM
    Stupid question, but can I get shares of Fairfax instead of money for my BlackBerry shares? A way of avoiding the transaction fee of buying Fairfax shares after getting the money from the sale.

Posted via CB10
    No, unless they specifically offer shares instead of cash. But the way this is going, the entire deal will most probably be a leveraged buyout: they will use the 2.6B of cash to buy back the most shares possible, then a huge loan of maybe 1 billion taken by BlackBerry to buy off the rest (remember that Fairfax won't probably contribute any money but just their shares, and most probably many of the people in the consortium are probably depositing their shares as a contribution). So it's most certainly all cash

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 11:11 PM
    I tried to read through the whole thread, but couldn't take it after page 7. The amount of misinformation and absurd speculation coming from the believers is laughable

Prem Watsa is underwater on his BBRY position. His acquisition of the company is an effort to avoid booking a big loss on his position (10% of the shares at a cost basis around $17). That's it. Prem watsa has zero interest interest in getting Fairfax into the cell phone business or any other business in which BBRY could conceivably participate given its intellectual property portfolio. It's unreal that so many of the ridiculous fanboys here don't get this. Watsa is a money manager. He'll be paying big time interest on the money he borrows to make this buyout. The firm he buys is bleeding cash and he would be the one writing the cheques. He wants the whole thing wrapped up as soon as humanly possible.

Just a few more points...

From a PURELY business perspective, is BBRY more valuable broken up than kept together? Tough question...
    Today, given the huge liability that the handset division represents? Absolutely no question about it - it's more valuable broken up.

Actually no, if this goes through, it will guarantee the survival of BlackBerry. Fairfax is an investment firm, they are just there to provide capital to BlackBerry. They will not sell it off in pieces.
    Fairfax are absolutely not 'there to provide capital to BBRY'. This doesn't even make sense. If this goes through, it does not guarantee the survival of BBRY in any way.
    Last edited by mset; 09-24-13 at 12:34 AM.
    09-23-13 11:47 PM
    What is Prem Watsa's 10% BB average share price at, $25-30 ??
    It is understood to be about $17/share.

BBRY is the ugly spinster. One lonely guy has come along and offered to marry her. His offer doesn't suddenly make her beautiful to all the other guys.
    And Watsa wouldn't have bothered offered to marry her had he not had a significant investment in her in the first place. That's what this is about - Prem Watsa trying to get out of his position without taking a huge loss. He figures this is his best shot.

Again, I know that... it leaves higher bids open though. Like $10, considering $11 and $14 were floating around a few weeks ago we can see another bid.
    Several people here were making irresponsible posts like this over the past few weeks. Floating around? You mean on CB? On the cable news talk shows, floated by the talking heads who know less than I do?

There were never any numbers 'floating around'. I have no idea what the eventual buyout price will be, but no one here knows anything about any 'numbers that have been floating around'. Only GS and JPM managers know anything about that.

Fairfax Financial...are not looking for a long term investment in a cell phone manufacturer. Within 3 years BBRY will be split up and chopped up into pieces.
    Whether they chop it up or sell all the intellectual property to one buyer, this is correct about Fairfax. Only thing is, it will never be 3 years. They want to get this over with and they have no desire to service their debt for three years and incur the cash bleed that's involved.
    Last edited by mset; 09-24-13 at 01:40 AM.
    mikeo007 and chr1sny like this.
    09-23-13 11:55 PM
    I didn't say that was the case.

They have more users now, then when they had 50% of the market place. I'm not giving them high-fives for losing market share. I'm pointing out that revenue, customers and profits are higher now than back in 2008 when the stock price was 10x what it is now.
    This place STILL has the ability to shock me! LOL

Yes, revenue is higher than 2008.....LOL.....yes back when the market was a fraction of it's size and the iphone was just getting started. PERHAPS the problem is that revenue is showing declines now (along with marketshare and profits...and now....customers), and there is EVERY indication that this will continue to decline unabated - now....well now there is simply no question with their outright withdrawal and firings. SOOOO.....maybe that's why investors and everyone else doesn't value BB highly or wish to pour money into it.

OR.....maybe all of us, just missed the incredibly simplistic premise you are stating above...all those high powered companies, analysts, investors, financiers, and some of us lowly CB'ers, just.....never noticed.
    FSeverino likes this.
    09-23-13 11:56 PM
385 ... 89101112 ...